PDA

View Full Version : Cutler signs extension

GoBroncos84
10-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Jay Cutler gets a new deal
Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 9:25 PM ET
Though it's hardly an Eli Manning/Philip Rivers blockbuster, quarterback Jay Cutler has landed a new deal after only five games as a member of the Chicago Bears.

News of the new contract comes from Jason La Canfora of NFL Network.

Per La Canfora, it's a two-year extension of Cutler's existing deal, which ran through 2011. The deal includes roughly $30 million in new money, and $20 million in guarantees.

We need to see the full deal before comparing it properly to other quarterback contracts. On the surface, however, it doesn't seem like the kind of big-money package that should be paid to a guy who cost the Bears two first-round draft picks and, as it turns out, one of the best young quarterbacks in the league

Didn't see this posted yet...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/20/jay-cutler-gets-a-new-deal/

Soul-Bronco
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
lol, good job chicago!!! give cutler more reasons not to give a F on the football field!!! cheers to a plus 25 int season for jay baby cutler!!! TO CUTLERRRRRRRR i mean ARTHURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

HAT
10-20-2009, 07:43 PM
On the surface, however, it doesn't seem like the kind of big-money package that should be paid to a guy who cost the Bears two first-round draft picks and, as it turns out, one of the best young quarterbacks in the league

Didn't see this posted yet...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/20/jay-cutler-gets-a-new-deal/

^5
Awesome!

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
He's doesn't seem like the kind of guy to give a discount ... :~ohyah!:

Soul-Bronco
10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
i swear if we make the playoffs and the bears dont, we should all send jay those pictures he took in chicago with all those fur coats and double chins just so he can bask in how awesome he is. . . . . . . at home on the couch AGAIN (like every year he has been in football)

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
props to ringo....

ColoradoDarin
10-20-2009, 08:01 PM
That's like $3-4 million per redzone Int.

ColoradoDarin
10-20-2009, 08:01 PM
That's like $7 million per chin.

_Oro_
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
So it was about the money...

Irish Stout
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
great money for a dude who hasnt quite proven himself... plus its a real short term deal

Drek
10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
great money for a dude who hasnt quite proven himself... plus its a real short term deal

Of course. If he lives up to the hype he'll be hitting FA just in time to get a monster career ending deal in his late 20's.

Scott Boras does it with all his clients. Make sure you hit the market between 28-30 when you should be at your peak, and get a long term deal then to ride out your career on.

_Oro_
10-20-2009, 08:44 PM
The Bears are Cutler's b****.

Atwater His Ass
10-20-2009, 08:50 PM
So it was about the money...

yeah, Cutler is the only player in the league who wants to get paid. yep.

baja
10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
20 million guaranteed for a QB with a losing record. Jay has a lot of people drinking his kool aid.

baja
10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Smart of Chicago to make it a 2 year extension. Looks like their not 100% sold on Cutler either.

theAPAOps5
10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Smart of Chicago to make it a 2 year extension. Looks like their not 100% sold on Cutler either.

As they shouldn't be. The guy hasn't done **** in the NFL. But gosh darn he has a rocket arm and can throw a ball really fast. For some fans and media I guess thats all that matters.

OABB
10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
now its time for neckbeard.

baja
10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Cutler extends for 2 years for 30 million. Orton is valued at 30% of Cutlers value (Orton + 2 1sts ) so we should him for roughly 10 million for 2 years with about 6.5 million guaranteed.

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
They had to give him something. No way Cutler would play with no new money. No way Bears going to give him Rivers/Eli money just yet.

Smart compromise by Cutler and the team. You can say he isn't worth it but at this point Bears can't give up on him, that would be crazy.

Cutler needs to realize he has to change the way he plays. Not a lot just a little.

One problem I see is that Cutler starts moving around before he has gone through his reads. Sometimes its the oline, sometimes its Cutler being impatient. Once a QB starts to move then it sort of becomes a broken play where most qbs are now focused on the outlet WR or throwing it away.

Cutler however looks for the big play everytime and some of those plays end up picks. If he could reign that in he would probably get less wow throws, but also less TDS. In the end I think though his team would give up less points and they would win more.

The big question is how much does Orton get, and will ge do better then Cutler?

24champ
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Of course. If he lives up to the hype he'll be hitting FA just in time to get a monster career ending deal in his late 20's.

Scott Boras does it with all his clients. Make sure you hit the market between 28-30 when you should be at your peak, and get a long term deal then to ride out your career on.

Of course, Boras is no idiot.

Br0nc0Buster
10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I wonder if the Cassel deal will have any impact on Orton's contract if he gets a new one here

ak1971
10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
who gives a ****

DivineBronco
10-20-2009, 09:26 PM
any chance we see some of the people post who were 100 percent sure that the Cutler situation was in no way motivated by money........anyone anyone.......please

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
so it was about the money...

Hilarious!

TexanBob
10-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I've always seen the Orton/5th rounder thing as being an add-on to the Cutler for two firsts and a third deal. The Broncos are obviously very happy with Orton and the Bears are very happy with the WR Knox they took with that fifth-rounder we sent them. I guess that's a win-win. The jury's still out on the rest of the trade because we still don't know who will be the #1 next year and if Moreno can hold up for a full season.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Good for him

_Oro_
10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Yup sh*t on Denver and all it's fans and get 20 mil. Sweet deal.

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 10:23 PM
The jury's still out on the rest of the trade because we still don't know who will be the #1 next year and if Moreno can hold up for a full season.
I don't get why so many guys get so specific about which pick was which. Yes, the Bears' pick is the one we have next year, but:

1) We didn't know (still don't know) where either pick, us or the Bears', will be
2) Having the two picks is why we made the Alphonso trade.

outdoor_miner
10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't get why so many guys get so specific about which pick was which. Yes, the Bears' pick is the one we have next year, but:

1) We didn't know (still don't know) where either pick, us or the Bears', will be
2) Having the two picks is why we made the Alphonso trade.

Totally agree. There is no way they make the trade to pick Alphonso if they don't have another pick next year.

The MVPlaya
10-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Both sides have a point and you can look @ it from either view.

Yes we probably wouldn't have traded that pick for Alphonso if we didn't have 2 firsts next year.

However, whoever we pick next year wouldn't have been our pick if the Jay Cutler trade never happens.

It works both ways.

Popps
10-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow, no way! Cutler got a new deal?

What a shocking turn of events. Who would have ever thought that this trade and he and Bus' forcing their way out of town might have had something to do with money!?

Really strange, because I was ridiculed around here during the offseason by the haters who guaranteed me this had nothing to do with cash, and that he wouldn't get a new deal.

Yet, here we are... 5 mediocre games into the season, and he's got a fresh new contract with gobs of guaranteed money!

Wow!

Bronco Yoda
10-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a feeling that McD is the type of coach that will always be looking to replace his highest priced players at some point to get value. I'm thinking Champ won't be around here much longer now. just a feeling.

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Totally agree. There is no way they make the trade to pick Alphonso if they don't have another pick next year.

Yes, so the trade is:

Cutler+Knox for Orton+Ayers+Alphonso+half-of-Quinn

Win-win, but I'll take our end of that any day.

BroncoMan4ever
10-20-2009, 11:13 PM

that is 5 more years isn't it?

3 years left on his rookie deal plus 2 more added on.

Popps
10-20-2009, 11:30 PM

There's a sucker born every minute.

Jay and Bus had a plan from the get-go, and it's just come to fruition.

Thankfully, our ownership was too smart to cave into the scare tactics and instead, sent the whiney ****ing loser packing.

A lot of us told you this was at least partially about money when this whole thing was going down, and not even half-way through a so-so season, he's been re-upped to a big-time deal.

Surprise!

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 12:16 AM

I'm surprised no one is talking about this. If he was "the answer" aren't you thinking at least a five year contract? I think this is an indictment of Cutler, though kudos to him for getting some green.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm surprised no one is talking about this. If he was "the answer" aren't you thinking at least a five year contract? I think this is an indictment of Cutler, though kudos to him for getting some green.

Well it's added on to the time he had left which means he is locked up for 4 yrs?

I think it's Cutlers agent telling him you are better off going for a medium range extension, then going for big big money in 3-4 yrs when you have hopefully won something. At least a couple division titles, playoff win etc.

Rock Chalk
10-21-2009, 12:25 AM
I hope Orton plays his ass off and gets twice as much as Cutler got.

That would be the golden shower on triple chin's face right there.

Circle Orange
10-21-2009, 12:35 AM
That's like $7 million per chin.

LOL, he stores sandwiches in those things.

But really, it isn't enough. Isn't he on the fast track to the hall of fame?

*cackles at the idiocy that is Chicago*

R8R H8R
10-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Well it's added on to the time he had left which means he is locked up for 4 yrs?

I think it's Cutlers agent telling him you are better off going for a medium range extension, then going for big big money in 3-4 yrs when you have hopefully won something. At least a couple division titles, playoff win etc.

Yes, the deal is good thru 2013.

A great deal for Cutler. Only a great deal for Chicago if he becomes the franchise QB in reality. So far, all he's been is a potential franchise QB the media has dubbed as such; he's been a big tease in that dept., imo.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2009, 12:54 AM
who gives a ****

sounds like someones mad because that just added two years that he wont have a chance to be your Broncos QB. Damn Club level patrons. Give it up. He isnt coming back and it is fun to bag on him. Maybe he will be the Archie Manning of the NFL.

Bronco X
10-21-2009, 01:01 AM
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/coppock-on-sports/2009/10/bears-may-regret-cutler-extension.html

R8R H8R
10-21-2009, 01:09 AM
sounds like someones mad because that just added two years that he wont have a chance to be your Broncos QB. Damn Club level patrons. Give it up. He isnt coming back and it is fun to bag on him. Maybe he will be the Archie Manning of the NFL.

And his two sons can win the SB he never did.

Popps
10-21-2009, 01:28 AM
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/coppock-on-sports/2009/10/bears-may-regret-cutler-extension.html

Watch Cutler's body language during a ballgame. He's tiresome. You sense that he feels he's above the game and his team. Brett Favre and John Elway be damned. I'm freakin' Jay Cutler. I invented this game. Hell, I wouldn't hesitate to tell George Halas to shove it.

Cutler's routine will get old in a hurry. I'll take all bets that Jay does not have a locker in Lake Forest in 2012, let alone 2013. Yes, much like Jim McMahon, he will have worn out his welcome.

In fact, Cutler may wear out his welcome before this season runs out. Jay will be on the Soldier Field and talk show firing lines - big time - if the Bears lose Sunday at Cincinnati. I know the Bears are two point dogs and I know the Bears offensive line is about as thrilling as a hay ride.

I also know this. An overzealous media has bent over backwards to tell Joe fan 16 to 18 times a day that Cutler is a "franchise quarterback." Who cares if Cutler's lifetime scorecard is below .500 or that he hasn't won a playoff game or that he frequently treats the red zone like the Mekong Delta.

Wow.

Where have you heard this before?

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-21-2009, 01:44 AM
well a sucker born every minute. then again what choice does Chicago have admit they was wrong lol. eh i still sorta like cutler that big baby

24champ
10-21-2009, 02:41 AM
the Pro Bowl quarterback has completed 110 of 172 passes with 1,201 yards, 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions while leading Chicago to a 3-2 record. With a 64.0 completion rate and 240.2 yards passing per game, he is on pace to set club single-season records.

Good for Jay.

Drek
10-21-2009, 04:41 AM
Yes, so the trade is:

And half of Olsen.

We traded our 3rd and the Bears 3rd for the Steelers 2nd and 4th. We then took Quinn with the 2nd and Olsen with the 4th.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 05:17 AM
And half of Olsen.

We traded our 3rd and the Bears 3rd for the Steelers 2nd and 4th. We then took Quinn with the 2nd and Olsen with the 4th.

wow you people really want to know who won the trade!!!

It really will be tough unless one team wins a Superbowl. Since that's the goal its really the only way to win.

I guess you could have said last yr looks like Portis stronger then Bailey, so at that point Skins, but really this yr it's Bailey. Football just a fickle equation that is hard to figure.

So if Bailey was MVP of the Superbowl. Had 4 picks, 3 tds and 12 tackles and 2 forced fumbles, 3 sacks etc etc wouldn't it be Shannies trade that won the Superbowl?

Hey a guy can dream.

Traveler
10-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Congratulations to Cutler on getting an extension. Having said that, I don't care what he does anymore because he's no longer a Bronco.

Good Luck Jay, and Good Riddance!

TailgateNut
10-21-2009, 07:15 AM
As they shouldn't be. The guy hasn't done **** in the NFL. But gosh darn he has a rocket arm and can throw a ball really fast. For some fans and media I guess thats all that matters.

:thanku:

TailgateNut
10-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Yes, so the trade is:

Which end is that?

JK;D

TailgateNut
10-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Watch Cutler's body language during a ballgame. He's tiresome. You sense that he feels he's above the game and his team. Brett Favre and John Elway be damned. I'm freakin' Jay Cutler. I invented this game. Hell, I wouldn't hesitate to tell George Halas to shove it.

Cutler's routine will get old in a hurry. I'll take all bets that Jay does not have a locker in Lake Forest in 2012, let alone 2013. Yes, much like Jim McMahon, he will have worn out his welcome.
I also know this. An overzealous media has bent over backwards to tell Joe fan 16 to 18 times a day that Cutler is a "franchise quarterback." Who cares if Cutler's lifetime scorecard is below .500 or that he hasn't won a playoff game or that he frequently treats the red zone like the Mekong Delta.

Wow.

Where have you heard this before?

My condolances to Da BearsROFL! Better you than Us.

Cito Pelon
10-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Sounds lilke CHI really low-balled Jay, although having 67% of the $30 mil guaranteed is very high. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only $6 mil/yr, right?

Drek
10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Sounds lilke CHI really low-balled Jay, although having 67% of the $30 mil guaranteed is very high. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's only $6 mil/yr, right?

He was signed through 2011 already. They tacked on two years at $15M per, $10M guaranteed.

Which means that he's guaranteed to get his roster bonuses for the 2010 and 2011 seasons, unless they want to eat all $20M before even getting anything for it. Cutler has a $1.425 salary next year with $4M in roster bonus, and a $1.81M salary in 2011 with a $12M roster bonus.

Going forward his contract is as follows, in millions (salary/bonus/total):
2009: 1.035/.1/1.135
2010: 1.425/4/5.425
2011: 1.81/12/13.81
2012: 5/10/15*
2013: 5/10/15*

*estimated dollar distribution. His contract over the next four years is effectively $49.24M over 4 years, or $12.3M a year, with $36M of it in bonus money.

Rivers, one year from FA, got a 6 year, $92M deal with $39M guaranteed. AAV of $15.33M. He lead the league in QB rating last year and the Chargers have been to the playoffs every season he's been the starter.

Eli Manning, also with only one year left, got a 6 year extension for $97.5M, with $35M guaranteed. AAV of $16.25M. This was just off winning a championship and being named Super Bowl MVP.

Matt Cassel's contract is 6 years at $63M, with $28M guaranteed. AAV of $10.5M. Cassel was already guaranteed just shy of $15M for the 2009 season, and would have been elidigible to test the market again (or get a nearly $18M tag) in 2010.

Cutler is two years further away from FA than all of these recently signed young QBs, and his AAV is only a few million lower than guys who have won in this league. The extension actually prices his two years at basically the same AAV as them.

And Cutler gets to go back into FA at 30 years old, whereas both Rivers and Manning will not be eligible for FA again until they're 33.

Bus Cook did a HELL of a good job here. Bears got schooled.

MVP-06
10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
why 2 years for a "franchise" QB?

baja
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM

None the less the mid range deal was appealing to Chicago too or they would have insisted on a longer deal. This deal adds only 2 seasons for a player they gave a kings ransom for if the Bears were 100% sure that Cutler was their saviour they would have insisted on a longer deal.

baja
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM

This is too good it needs to be posted here not just linked;

Bears may one day regret Cutler extension

Chet Coppock on 10.20.09 | no comments |
Please! You certainly don't think this is a marriage that's going to remain locked in the honeymoon stage for the next four-plus years?

Congrats to Jay Cutler on his new deal with the Bears. A package that will A, keep Jay at Halas Hall through 2013 and B, assure about four or five generations of Cutlers that traditional Monday through Friday 9 to 5 work won't be a necessary part of their adult life.

Damn, there are McCaskeys who can relate to that.
Wait. Lets back track. You can bet your kid's lunch money on this one. Cutler is a diva. Barbara Streisand in shoulder pads. He's beyond high maintenance. He's more outfit changes than Madonna. That isn't really all that bad when you play the most challenging position in sports.

However, to date all Cutler has done since joining the Bears is establish meet, course and pool records for throwing picks in Sunday night road games. If the Bears don't earn a playoff spot this year Jay and that comic genius Lovie Smith will share time on the local hit list. They might seek witness protection.

In fact, Cutler may wear out his welcome before this season runs out. Jay will be on the Soldier Field and talk show firing lines - big time - if the Bears lose Sunday at Cincinnati. I know the Bears are two point dogs and I know the Bears offensive line is about as thrilling as a hay ride.

Jay is our salvation. Cutler, my friend, keep this in mind. You're a virgin in this town. You don't know what quarterbacking in Chicago is all about. You haven't had your nervous system roasted at sunrise. You haven't been booed to bits after daring to go three and out with the Bears trailing by 17.

GM Jerry Angelo made a logical football move. There's just one slice of bad news. Both sides will be seeking divorce sometime after 2011.

TailgateNut
10-21-2009, 08:29 AM
. Cutler is a diva. Barbara Streisand in shoulder pads. He's beyond high maintenance. He's more outfit changes than Madonna. .

:spit:

MVP-06
10-21-2009, 08:34 AM
"Watch Cutler's body language during a ballgame. He's tiresome. You sense that he feels he's above the game and his team. Brett Favre and John Elway be damned. I'm freakin' Jay Cutler. I invented this game. Hell, I wouldn't hesitate to tell George Halas to shove it."

This was my biggest problem with Jay. I could turn on the TV and know right away if we were winning or losing by his body language

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
"Treats the redzone like the Mekong delta." ROFL!

Rohirrim
10-21-2009, 11:28 AM

There's that "franchise" tag again. It's a problem with our overhyped, 24/7 news cycle, internets short-attention span world. Everybody wants it right now, or yesterday. A QB shows a little promise, he's a franchise QB. If a movie doesn't break box office records its first weekend, it's a dog. If a new president hasn't solved all the world's problems in the first couple of months in office, he's a bum. The Mayan calendar runs out of days and it's the end of the world. I can't wait to see next year's draft with Stafford, Tebow, et al coming out. The hyperbole will be manic.