PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tony Scheffler

400HZ
10-20-2009, 03:28 PM
We see him a lot when he plays San Diego, just like we see most opposing teams' tight ends. Something about him really stands out in particular though that I wanted to ask about.

Is there ever a play that goes by where he doesn't ask for pass interference? Can he make it through a play on the field without finding a ref and making the flag throwing motion? I've noticed it every time San Diego plays Denver, especially the games that I've been at. Last night I don't even think he was waiting for the huddle to break. People who went to training camp: does he do it at practice, too? Does he go over to the ropes and practice stomping his feet?

Second question: I got tickets for Broncos/Chargers at Invesco. Anybody want to join me in a drinking game? Every time Scheffler throws his imaginary flag we drink. Also, every time both of your middle linebackers blitz up the middle without being touched we drink. Who's down? I'm thinking anyone under 160lbs should probably not apply.

broncofan2438
10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Really??? Wow, I knew there would be some butthurt Chugger fan here.

He just asks for P.I. when it is needed, thanks

Where are you sitting for that game?

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
he doesn't ask for pass interference?

Only when he plays the chuggers since thats the only way to really stop him is to try and play him tight.

Doggcow
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Waaaaahhh, the unblocked linebackers up the middle is pretty funny though, and true :)

Inkana7
10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Maybe San Diego should stop interfering with him?

azbroncfan
10-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I wonder why Merriman doesn't do the lights out dance anymore? Did his career go lights out after no more ROIDS?

crowebomber
10-20-2009, 03:38 PM

400HZ
10-20-2009, 03:39 PM

Young Tony?

Br0nc0Buster
10-20-2009, 03:40 PM
For your drinking game you could also do every time "LT" pouts or throws his helmet take a drink

Irish Stout
I got tickets for Broncos/Chargers at Invesco. Anybody want to join me in a drinking game? Every time Scheffler throws his imaginary flag we drink. Also, every time both of your middle linebackers blitz up the middle without being touched we drink. Who's down? I'm thinking anyone under 160lbs should probably not apply.

I have a better idea, sell your tickets and save your time and money. It won't do you any good to go to this game you whiny little weasel.

400HZ
Really??? Wow, I knew there would be some butthurt Chugger fan here.

Actually my question goes back several years, including years when the shoe was on the other foot Broncos fans.

BMarsh615
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM

Yeah that LOL

400HZ
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
For your drinking game you could also do every time "LT" pouts or throws his helmet take a drink

Come on now, I'm already spending $80 on the tickets. I can only afford so many nine dollar beers.

Taco John
10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Actually my question goes back several years, including years when the shoe was on the other foot Broncos fans.

Is the other foot Marty Schottenheimer?

Wait. I'm confused.

Archer81
10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I dont know...do Charger players bitch about disrespect after every loss? Are the craters on Norv's face as innumberable as the stars in the sky? Does LT cry because he's not in? Does River's mangina have sand in it?

Many questions to ponder...

:Broncos:

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 03:48 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2572/yourminer.jpg

DeuceOfClub
10-20-2009, 03:53 PM
It hurt me to say it, but in general I think all Broncos' players are complaining too much looking for flags.
It got so bad this year, I actually thought last night that it might be directed by their head-coach. (Hey, you got nothing to lose, so why not keep doing the flag motion, you might get one)
I have long been advocating a mandatory 5-yard penalty for anyone doing the flag-motion, the fact that it's my team doesn't change my opinion.
Let them celebrate TD anyway they want, but take away the annoying flag-begging.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
http://titterass.com/Pics/hurtfeelingsreport.jpg

Archer81
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Royal got mugged alot last night. Sometimes you need to get the refs to pay attention, even with 5 of those bastards on the field they miss alot of calls.

Rohirrim
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Does LT ever stop moping?

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
This brings up a good idea though.

Denver fans could drink everytime:

1. LT pouts
2. Rivers rolls his eyes at LT
3. Rivers talks trash
4. Merriman acts like he's still as good as 2006
5. Shaun Phillips pretends he's a real football player
6. Marshall makes one of the DBs his bitch

and

7. Chug for the lights out dance when its not an appropriate situation to celebrate

BlaK-Argentina
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I didn't see him asking for one on his TD or his long catch to put you away.

broncofan2438
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Come on now, I'm already spending $80 on the tickets. I can only afford so many nine dollar beers.

Beers are cheaper at Invesco.....cheaper than that crap stadium you call Qualcom

400HZ
10-20-2009, 04:02 PM

What about the times when he didn't catch the ball? I know there were only a couple times when he didn't, but I'm sure you caught it then.

broncofan2438
10-20-2009, 04:03 PM

Daaaaaaaaaaaang! That'l hurt

BlaK-Argentina
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
What about the times when he didn't catch the ball? I know there were only a couple times when he didn't, but I'm sure you caught it then.

:clown:

If this all you have left? Crying about how a player asks for a flag?

Come on man, try to keep your head up. ;D

Master___Pain
10-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe because your lousy safeties can't cover so they hold and grab Scheffler?

Weddle may very well be one of the worst starting safeties in the league. When he wasn't completely whiffing on tackle, he was bouncing off the ball carrier as they gained another 5 or more yards. #25 was getting his last night too.

prodigalson139
10-20-2009, 04:11 PM
This is not exclusive to Tony.

Yes he does on occasion, but so does any WR or TE these days.

It is becoming the status quo for many.

With the illegal contact rules (AKA can't even touch a WR/TE), more and more players either are justified in their gripe or they try to take advantage of a ticky tack call that is called more times than it really happens.

Nevertheless, it is fun to see Charger fans upset and frustrated...we know the feeling, but things have changed.

400HZ
10-20-2009, 04:13 PM
:clown:

If this all you have left? Crying about how a player asks for a flag?

Come on man, try to keep your head up. ;D

Jeez, it was an honest question. I knew that San Diego was going to lose a week ago. I got over that on Wednesday.

Another question: my wife wants to compete but she's knocked up. She said she'll drink NA beer. I said that there is still a tiny bit of alcohol in there and that if we follow all the game rules she'll probably still get ****canned. Has anyone ever successfully gotten bombed off NA beer?

theAPAOps5
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Tell you what I will answer this when you can answer why Phillis is int he ears of the Ref after every pass. I am pretty sure he thinks he gets roughed every time he is touched. Sometimes he doesn't say anything he just stares longingly at the ref as if to say why have you forsaken me.

I think you would get sick from fullness because the amount of NA beer to even get a buzz would be a ton.

listopencil
10-20-2009, 04:16 PM

This.

BlaK-Argentina
Jeez, it was an honest question. I knew that San Diego was going to lose a week ago. I got over that on Wednesday.

Another question: my wife wants to compete but she's knocked up. She said she'll drink NA beer. I said that there is still a tiny bit of alcohol in there and that if we follow all the game rules she'll probably still get ****canned. Has anyone ever successfully gotten bombed off NA beer?

Hilarious! Just messing with you. I actually don't mind you and a couple of other SD fans. Way better than anything KC can offer.

_Oro_
I dont know...do Charger players b**** about disrespect after every loss? Are the craters on Norv's face as innumberable as the stars in the sky? Does LT cry because he's not in? Does River's mangina have sand in it?

Many questions to ponder...

Hate to call BS but the stars in the sky are numerable.

DomCasual
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM

Really? Can you link a post where you've brought it up in the past?

This thread is shockingly pathetic - almost sad. Seriously, this is the best you can do? Have you had dignity in the past? There's nothing wrong with being graceful when something doesn't work out like you had hoped. If that's not possible, there's always just not saying anything at all.

WABronco
10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Maybe because your lousy safeties can't cover so they hold and grab Scheffler?

Weddle may very well be one of the worst starting safeties in the league. When he wasn't completely whiffing on tackle, he was bouncing off the ball carrier as they gained another 5 or more yards. #25 was getting his last night too.

A young Brian Russell. He's so gritty and tough though!

_Oro_
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Was a thing of beauty watching Davis crash into the middle of the oline in the first half. You guys picked him up but you got punished. Then in the 2nd half we started sending DJ through there and you guys didn't know WTF to do.

DomCasual
10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Bob finally lost his virginity, huh?

24champ
10-20-2009, 04:21 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/photos/2009/10/19/091019rivers-sacked.jpg

WABronco
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
QQ'ing on opposing message boards is the sign of the ultimate in butt-hurtedness. I'm sure his cheeks were red and the emotion was building in the back of his throat as he posted.

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Screw trying to hold sheff they really needed to hold doom.

theAPAOps5
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Screw trying to hold sheff they really needed to hold doom.

Yeah teams do that it still doesn't work and/or called.

Popps
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
That's weird. I didn't notice Tony calling for interference when he hauled in the TD that broke SD's back.

Archer81
10-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Bob finally lost his virginity, huh?

Dont be silly. Bob doesnt like women.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Dont be silly. Bob doesnt like women.

I think he meant Bob was the one that got knocked up.

Not sure though

Houshyamama
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
If anyone should be constantly complaining for being held it's Dumervil. Dude gets CONSTANTLY held

Archer81
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I think he meant Bob was the one that got knocked up.

Not sure though

Well thats just an abomination.

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Well thats just an abomination.

I think he meant knocked out.

Williams
10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Second question: I got tickets for Broncos/Chargers at Invesco. Anybody want to join me in a drinking game? Every time Scheffler throws his imaginary flag we drink. Also, every time both of your middle linebackers blitz up the middle without being touched we drink. Who's down? I'm thinking anyone under 160lbs should probably not apply.

Aw dude! You totally missed the memo! The Chargers window is slamming shut so its safe to go back to the Cowboys, Packers, Pats or whoever you cheered for in 2003. Don't feel bad though, with the Broncos success you'll be able to get your ticket money back... maybe even profit! See you in another few decades! :thumbs:

boltaneer
10-20-2009, 05:12 PM
It's a legitimate observation by 400.

He's a hell of a player but I've never seen a player whine about PI as much as that guy. Maybe it was some of Cutler rubbing off on him.

And I don't recall Marshall, Royal or Stokley pulling this stuff often at all.

Archer81
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I think he meant knocked out.

My stance is still valid.

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
My stance is still valid.

Hilarious!

Archer81
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I saw Sheffler ask for a flag one time...because it was PI...is it any different than Rivers running to the ref after every snap b****ing about defensive holding?

BABronco
10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
I notice gaff do it all the time. I think he forgets he isn't a pat anymore.

Atwater His Ass
10-20-2009, 06:01 PM

He's a hell of a player but I've never seen a player whine about PI as much as that guy. Maybe it was some of Cutler rubbing off on him.

I also noticed it last night, along with Gaffney. Small potatoes, but pretty annoying.

DomCasual
10-20-2009, 06:12 PM

I would bet that if you took a poll of NFL players, asking who they thought was the whiniest player in the league, the winner would be Phillip Rivers - by a lot. Say all you want about how he's just competitive, how his teammates love him, yadda yadda. The guy has a reputation for being a crybaby.

Yet what do you want to bet, guys like you and 400 were in here tirelessly (and obnoxiously) defending him when he was going 5-1 against the Broncos?

The point is this. When you lose, complaining about stuff like that makes you sound like even more of a loser than you were having just lost the game.

~Crash~
10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Young Tony?

no rivers

boltaneer
10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I would bet that if you took a poll of NFL players, asking who they thought was the whiniest player in the league, the winner would be Phillip Rivers - by a lot. Say all you want about how he's just competitive, how his teammates love him, yadda yadda. The guy has a reputation for being a crybaby.

Yet what do you want to bet, guys like you and 400 were in here tirelessly (and obnoxiously) defending him when he was going 5-1 against the Broncos?

The point is this. When you lose, complaining about stuff like that makes you sound like even more of a loser than you were having just lost the game.

Actually, I'm not complaining about anything. I agreed with 400 about what he noticed about the guy. I also gave him a compliment at the same time by calling him a hell of a player.

The only complaining I've done today is about Norv and Merriman's and Shaun Phillips' big mouth.

s0phr0syne
10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
bolt, while you may have only been mentioning what you noticed, it seems like you're not noticing a lot of what your own receivers do (like VJax) or what Phyllis seems to do after any incompletion or anytime that he gets touched in the pocket.

I'm not confining the criticism that you noticed (and that is valid) to only Scheffler, VJax, and Rivers, b/c as someone else already mentioned, it's a disturbing trend throughout the league. The worst part is that the refs seem to acquiesce when someone b**ches enough to get a call.

You guys seem like good posters, so I don't understand why "noticing" Scheffler was all of the sudden enough of an impetus to create a thread.

Soul-Bronco
10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
yea shaun phillips need to shut it. even after that loss hes still talkin like hes hot stuff.

Funny when hes talkin on the couch come january

boltaneer
10-20-2009, 07:11 PM
bolt, while you may have only been mentioning what you noticed, it seems like you're not noticing a lot of what your own receivers do (like VJax) or what Phyllis seems to do after any incompletion or anytime that he gets touched in the pocket.

I'm not confining the criticism that you noticed (and that is valid) to only Scheffler, VJax, and Rivers, b/c as someone else already mentioned, it's a disturbing trend throughout the league. The worst part is that the refs seem to acquiesce when someone b**ches enough to get a call.

You guys seem like good posters, so I don't understand why "noticing" Scheffler was all of the sudden enough of an impetus to create a thread.

Well, I'll leave 400 to answer that since I didn't create this thread.

What you say is true. Those who lobby/whine to the refs often get the flag they want. I do notice Rivers do it on occasion but not really more often than many other QBs.

For some reason Scheffler just sticks out to me. Whenever I watch a Bronco game (whether it's against the Chargers or not), I see him do it and often multiple times and I don't see his teammates doing it. Maybe it's just coincidence? I don't know. It just seems to me that he does it far more often than other receivers. (And yes, I know a lot of receivers do it.)

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Somebody tweet sheffler and ask him..

BroncoInSkinland
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I noticed it, I think Schef feels under used, and is trying to get every impact play he can to impress McDaniels and get brought into the game plan more. I think it is also a contract year for him, drawing penalties = more use to Josh = more balls thrown his way = pay day. I hadn't really noticed it before this game, let alone this year.

Good game BTW Bolt and 400, I think I have talked to both of you in the past about this being the "new" rivalry in our division. If you guys can get un-Norved next year, might be a good few years of Donkeys hating the Boltheads and vice-versa ahead of us.

Popcorn Sutton
10-20-2009, 07:44 PM
We see him a lot when he plays San Diego, just like we see most opposing teams' tight ends. Something about him really stands out in particular though that I wanted to ask about.

Is there ever a play that goes by where he doesn't ask for pass interference? Can he make it through a play on the field without finding a ref and making the flag throwing motion? I've noticed it every time San Diego plays Denver, especially the games that I've been at. Last night I don't even think he was waiting for the huddle to break. People who went to training camp: does he do it at practice, too? Does he go over to the ropes and practice stomping his feet?

Is there ever a passing play where Cromartie is not holding?

If you were to drink every time you see Cromartie with a hand full of jersey you'd be in the hospital getting your stomach pumped.

400HZ
10-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Really? Can you link a post where you've brought it up in the past?

This thread is shockingly pathetic - almost sad. Seriously, this is the best you can do? Have you had dignity in the past? There's nothing wrong with being graceful when something doesn't work out like you had hoped. If that's not possible, there's always just not saying anything at all.

I've never brought it up in the past, its just something that I've always noticed. That Christmas Eve game in 2007 was an especially dramatic Scheffler showcase. I saw it a lot at the game in San Diego in 2006 too even though he was having a big game that day. He wanted a flag every single time he was on the field. This past game was just one more.

I just thought I'd bounce it off you all. It looked like the refs finally through him a bone on that call he got along the sideline against Ellison earlier in the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one who picked up on it.

Anyways, congrats on the win, I'm sure it feels good. I think San Diego played about as well as they are capable of playing this year and Denver worked them from start to finish.

400HZ
10-20-2009, 08:05 PM

I've never seen Jackson do it. Phillip always goes and argues when he intentionally grounds the ball, but that's about it. Tom Brady has become the king of it this year.

maher_tyler
10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
After 2 weeks to prep for the game and still lose with your backs against the wall and at home. That's gotta hurt!!

Bronco Warrior
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM
In a Post game interview Phyllis Rivers let it slip that he hadn't been on his back that much with his ass pounded since Fleetweek last year! He later asked the reporter to keep that off the record!

Bronco Warrior
10-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Chargers players didn't make a single routine play without doing a look at me dance! How pathetic, and you come in and cry about Scheffler getting a call or two with Weddle riding him all might? Weddle played he 5 miles from my house so I got no bias against the guy (He can't help who drafted him} But he was getting beat like he stole something and figured PI was better than a TD!

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Not sure because I haven't really noticed that.

I did say at end of half I thought Chargers were trying to be Patriots by grabbing WR in there breaks, and then quickly letting go. I can see why Broncos were complaining, you have to its part of the gamesmanship with the refs.

In the end Chargers got burnt by it and got some calls against them.

Many times we as fans are like that was ticky tack, but you have to realize the refs may have warned them. If you played football sometimes you will be talked to by ref. He will say watch those hands to the face 76. 76 watch those hands..... So 3rd time you may barely tough the dudes chin, but ref has had enough out comes the flag.

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 08:31 PM

I think they did a couple times as well. Can't remember who.

But when the dbacks have a plan of grabbing and then quickly letting go of course WR and TE will complain to bring that to refs attention. Stop playing like the Pats dbacks and you won't get that so much.

outdoor_miner
10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Despite the seeming sour grapes of the OP, I have to admit I've noticed Scheffler, Gaffney, and even Royal doing the flag thing a lot this year. Personally - I think Gaffney is the worst offender. Not a big deal, but I find it vaguely annoying.

Ironlung
10-20-2009, 08:56 PM
We ALL should be used to this by now ... Tony Gonzalez invented it.

Archer81
10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
In a Post game interview Phyllis Rivers let it slip that he hadn't been on his back that much with his ass pounded since Fleetweek last year! He later asked the reporter to keep that off the record!

Explains the gimpy walk. Can we say that Rivers did his patriotic duty?

Paladin
10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Did he take one for the team?

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Despite the seeming sour grapes of the OP, I have to admit I've noticed Scheffler, Gaffney, and even Royal doing the flag thing a lot this year. Personally - I think Gaffney is the worst offender. Not a big deal, but I find it vaguely annoying.

I think some of it has been warranted though. Royal been getting hit either perfectly, or its early, depending on how you look at it.

I agree though less complaining more kicking ass.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 11:32 PM
It hurt me to say it, but in general I think all Broncos' players are complaining too much looking for flags.
It got so bad this year, I actually thought last night that it might be directed by their head-coach. (Hey, you got nothing to lose, so why not keep doing the flag motion, you might get one)
I have long been advocating a mandatory 5-yard penalty for anyone doing the flag-motion, the fact that it's my team doesn't change my opinion.
Let them celebrate TD anyway they want, but take away the annoying flag-begging.

I agree with this to some extent. Marshall does it a lot when there is clearly no interference, just a good play by the defender but Stokely and Royal have been mugged this season without any PI calls.

However, you better damn sure be mugged to go looking for the flag. Doing it just because the defender made a good play is not a good reason and almost as annoying as that stupid tackle after gaining 15 yards on our defense arm cross that DJ and Webster did with each other last year.

Gort
10-21-2009, 02:04 AM

dunno. but i've heard some players have a habit of hitting the tequila.

:D

fontaine
10-21-2009, 03:06 AM

Yes, there are plenty of plays where he doesn't ask for pass interference.

Let's see, the plays where he scored that TD and then the huge catch and run play where he beat Weddle like a drum?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d8138e940_gallery_600.jpg

RMT
10-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Beers are cheaper at Invesco.....cheaper than that crap stadium you call Qualcom

ya got that right - the concessions at qualcomm were outrageous and the parking was pathetic.

it actually made me appreciate the OLD mile high stadium even more.

400HZ
11-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Lol @ the big angry foot stomps and waving arms.

Man-Goblin
11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
PI Baby. PI.

400HZ
11-01-2009, 12:03 PM
PI Baby. PI.

Real dignified. :rofl:

houghtam
11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
It happens for every team in every game, and it's complete crap.

I'd be in favor of a 15 yard unsportmanlike conduct penalty for any jawing or gesturing to the refs, just like taking your helmet off in the field of play or spiking the ball in someone's face.