PDA

View Full Version : Running game looking different

ZONA
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
We've used a mix or zone blocking and a trapping/pulling combo over the first several games but this game I didn't see any zone blocking runs. I think we must have run that same trap play like 15 times. It worked okay but I would have liked to seen some more different looks in the run game. They started to snuff that trap play there at the end and we kept going to it.

TheDave
10-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I wish we would stick to more ZB... I realize he is trying to work in more straight line stuff, but this line was built for the ZBS.

I'm guessing we get some more road graders this offseason.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I could have sworn buckhalters 16 yd run (?) was on a zone play...perhaps im remembering incorrectly

Tombstone RJ
10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Seems like the running game gets better as the game progresses. Not sure if this is because the defense starts to break down or if the Broncos RBs start to find the lanes.

I'd love for Moreno to bust off 2000 yards running the ball in this offense but I just don't see that happening. This is a grind-it-out running attack and it's not all that fun to watch. But, it's working...

BroncoMan4ever
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I wish we would stick to more ZB... I realize he is trying to work in more straight line stuff, but this line was built for the ZBS.

I'm guessing we get some more road graders this offseason.

truthfully, Clady, Harris and Kuper have the necessary size, strength and speed to do either scheme. it is Hamilton and Weigman that are not designed for the straight ahead running game style.

we are going to continue to shift to a predominantly straight forward running style and occasionally mix in some ZBS when it is necessary.

i am actually ok with it. i am loving the straight up punch you in the mouth style of play we are doing.

TheDave
10-20-2009, 12:19 PM
truthfully, Clady, Harris and Kuper have the necessary size, strength and speed to do either scheme. it is Hamilton and Weigman that are not designed for the straight ahead running game style.
we are going to continue to shift to a predominantly straight forward running style and occasionally mix in some ZBS when it is necessary.

i am actually ok with it. i am loving the straight up punch you in the mouth style of play we are doing.

Totally agree... I loved these 2 guys but both of them struggled at the POA a lot yesterday.

TonyR
10-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Seems like the running game gets better as the game progresses...

I don't have the stats to prove it one way or the other but I didn't get this impression last night. Running game didn't do much the whole game, but I think my expectations were too high so it was probably better than I'm remembering.

missingnumber7
10-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I could have sworn buckhalters 16 yd run (?) was on a zone play...perhaps im remembering incorrectly

I thought he cut that one back after he got through the line because the LB's for SD overpursued

24champ
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Scary for the rest of the league...most who consider the Broncos one of the best, if not THE best OL's in the NFL. Once Hamilton and Weigmann are gone, McD will find replacements that will make the line even better.

fontaine
10-20-2009, 12:42 PM

You're right.

We ran more zone blocking plays in the 2nd that got immediate gains. I don't know what game Zona was watching but it was pretty clear we were running zone plays in the 2nd half.

Bronco Warrior
10-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Otta trap bvlocking and we aren't as good at it, and frankly is isn't as effective as Zone blocking and letting Talented backs read and react! That is one thing I don't like about this offense!

elsid13
10-20-2009, 01:57 PM
It had more to do with the style of defense, Denver was facing then shift in philosophy. McDaniels was attacking the weakness of SD front which up the gut vs allowing the LB to flow to the ball.

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 02:03 PM
What you all like and think the team should be doing doesn't matter. The coaching staff is top notch and there is a reason for everything they do even if we don't understand.

Fans going to have to realize we aren't that smart and team would be 0-6 with any of you calling the plays.

maher_tyler
10-20-2009, 03:12 PM

I thought so to.

baja
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
mm

gyldenlove
10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
We ran a few zone plays, but mostly it was just power guard trap. The idea is sound since the Jamal Williams is out and the Chargers are short on ILB so challenging the interior defense made sense, although the outcome wasn't always as good as it could have been. It did however force the ILBs to honor the inside run and be close to the line which in turn gave us some good matchups on Scheffler with the safety and eliminated the linebackers from dropping into zones too far from the middle.

lostknight
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
The traps in the first half were not working particularly well primarily because the Chargers were blitzing consistently up the middle to mask their weakness at NT. Good news here is that Ron Fields is as good as advertised.

Just like everything else with the offense right now, the running plays are not particularly effective. However, they are also extremely low risk. The change of getting stuffed behind the line for negative yardage is lower. This is one area that I think Josh needs to open up. New England has had marginal at best runners, and so this low risk/return makes sense. But Denver is capable of really opening the taps with Moreno and the ZBS.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The traps in the first half were not working particularly well primarily because the Chargers were blitzing consistently up the middle to mask their weakness at NT. Good news here is that Ron Fields is as good as advertised.

Just like everything else with the offense right now, the running plays are not particularly effective. However, they are also extremely low risk. The change of getting stuffed behind the line for negative yardage is lower. This is one area that I think Josh needs to open up. New England has had marginal at best runners, and so this low risk/return makes sense. But Denver is capable of really opening the taps with Moreno and the ZBS.

You are really getting annoying with your revisionist history. Coming into last night, we were 6th in the league in rushing I believe. Even last night, our running game helped bully them at the end of the game (we rushed for over 100, but yes, they did play it well). The last two weeks, our offense has been incredibly effective. We put up something like 330 (?) yards last night and didnt have two drives because of ST TDs.

baja
10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I think what people are over looking is the fact the Chargers played about as well as they can play and still we beat them. Did anyone else notice in the 4th quarter the Charger offense had enough of the Broncos D they just wanted the game to be over.

Will Wayfarer
10-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I noticed Moreno running a fair number of ZB plays. It seemed to me that San Diego heavily game planned against the run, daring Orton to beat us. In hindsight they probably should have game planned against Eddie Royal.