PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 Power Rankings

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2009&week=7

4 (5) Broncos 6-0-0 This is a very well-balanced team that doesn't beat itself and has maximized its personnel. That is awfully good coaching. (M. Williamson)

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
NFL.com has as at 4 as well

http://fanrankings.nfl.com/picks/expert_picks

Old Dude
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
#1 in Sagarin Computer rankings:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl09.htm

55CrushEm
10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh, yeah well read THIS bitches !! HERE we are #1......haha.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/275218-week-7-nfl-power-rankings-denver-is-the-real-deal

DeuceOfClub
10-20-2009, 11:42 AM
"You gotta give 110% and play for 60min"

TheDave
10-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Though that's probably about where I would put them... funny how we are still in last place as far as the undefeated teams go.

TailgateNut
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2009&week=7

4 (5) Broncos 6-0-0 This is a very well-balanced team that doesn't beat itself and has maximized its personnel. That is awfully good coaching. (M. Williamson)

Didn't these same experts have us at 24-27th at the beginning of the season?:spit:

How about SI?

All of these clowns are using cloudy crystal balls.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
NICE - So, from the beginning: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pre-season
27 (25) Broncos 8-8-0 Maybe the Broncos' changes actually are ingenious and they're on the upswing, but it's hard to see it. (Kuharsky)

27 (27) Broncos 8-8-0 It has to take a while for team to buy in after all the drama surrounding former QB Jay Cutler, and then WR Brandon Marshall. (Kuharsky)

24 (27) Broncos 1-0-0 Maybe the Broncos were due a bit a karma, after all they've been through this year. (Kuharsky)

20 (24) Broncos 2-0-0 Their two remaining games against the AFC North aren't likely to produce the same results their first two did. (Kuharsky)

13 (20) Broncos 3-0-0 A great start against lightweights will now be measured against a much tougher five-pack. (Kuharsky)

8 (13) Broncos 4-0-0 Mike Nolan's defense has been stingy with points and is starting to get attention for a major turnaround. (Kuharsky)
Note: The Patriots visit the No. 8 Denver Broncos in what should be Week 5's showcase game.

5 (8) Broncos 5-0-0 The Broncos have silenced more doubters each week to the point where far fewer are around. (Kuharsky)
Noted: There's a top-five intruder in the Week 6 edition of ESPN.com's 2009 NFL Power Rankings.
The Denver Broncos, who began this season ranked No. 27, now rate No. 5 according to the latest poll of our experts. The undefeated Broncos vaulted three places after edging the New England Patriots in Week 5. The Broncos will have their mettle tested in Week 6 when they visit the No. 16 San Diego Chargers, who opened our regular-season rankings seeded fifth.

Noted: The escape-artist Minnesota Vikings hold tight at No. 3, followed by the upstart Denver Broncos.

scorpio
10-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Didn't these same experts have us at 24-27th at the beginning of the season?:spit:

How about SI?

All of these clowns are using cloudy crystal balls.

SI is awfully proud of their power rankings and don't release them until late Wednesday.

Rohirrim
10-20-2009, 11:50 AM
"Andy Reid has to live with Sunday's reality: He was outcoached by Tom Cable." (Clayton)

Ouch! That's got to leave a mark. ;D

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
SI is awfully proud of their power rankings and don't release them until late Wednesday.

Yup. I'm awaiting Foxsports and cbssportsline as well.

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Weird ... Vikings are 6-0, and 3-0 vs. Top 10 teams.

And yet they're only 5th?

Rohirrim
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I watched the Saints Sunday. They look scary good. Brees is lighting it up.

TheReverend
7 (8) Falcons 4-1-0 Matt Ryan seems to be hitting stride for the Falcons, a good thing while the run game finds its way. (Sando)

--------------------

Really? I thought he looked extremely mediocre Sunday night.

c_lazy_r
I didn't care about power rankings at the beginning of the season and I don't care about em now. Worthless media bull ****, IMO.

ZONA
10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
The Colts @ #1..................this is some funny crap. Just as the Giants had cleaned up on crappy teams, the Colts have faced a very easy schedule, maybe the easiest. I know they can only beat who is on the schedule but the Jags, Titans, Dolphins, Sehawks, Cardinals don't exactly provide a great test. I can't say that the Colts have had a good test yet. I'm not buying into them just yet.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Defense sucks.

azbroncfan
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
7 (8) Falcons 4-1-0 Matt Ryan seems to be hitting stride for the Falcons, a good thing while the run game finds its way. (Sando)

--------------------

Really? I thought he looked extremely mediocre Sunday night.

Look at his red zone numbers though. He was great when it counted.

broncocalijohn
10-20-2009, 12:04 PM
The Colts @ #1..................this is some funny crap. Just as the Giants had cleaned up on crappy teams, the Colts have faced a very easy schedule, maybe the easiest. I know they can only beat who is on the schedule but the Jags, Titans, Dolphins, Sehawks, Cardinals don't exactly provide a great test. I can't say that the Colts have had a good test yet. I'm not buying into them just yet.

that sounds pretty familiar after our first 3 weeks. I have no problem with Colts being ahead. They are also undefeated. We play them this year anyways. BTW: Only time i look at these rankings is when you guys post them. Only College Football rankings matter.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM

1 TD pass to Gonzo?

Roddy had a great catch and run earlier which accounted for a HUGE chunk of his yardage. I dunno, I've certainly been impressed with Matt Ryan, but Sunday night was not one of those nights.

Broncos4tw
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
We are rated 4th on most power rankings today. Still the supposed worst of the best. That's fine. Keep it up. I don't think our team gives a rats ass.

Mr. Elway
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Pretty nice ranking, but I think we are better than the Vikings.

Peoples Champ
10-20-2009, 12:20 PM

I thought the Vikings are 3rd?

Peoples Champ
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
when you guys look at this, dont forget to change it to week 1 once and awhile. The had us at 27th. What a turnaround.

Eldorado

That game was 2 talented QB's getting burned by bad decision making. Ryan plays even a decent game and ATL wins that one going away.

Paladin
I wanna be an underdog!!!!! At this rate, the Crows are gonna be aware of the team........

Anybody got a pic of that cartoon Underdog?

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Bears lose and go from 12 to 10... riiiiiiiiiiight. Chargers go from 16 to 14... riiiiiiiiiight.

Gil Tard and Vic Tard from NFL have the Giants ahead of us? They have had an even EASIER schedule and were BLOWN OUT by a quality team... it wasn't like it was a close fought game.

We should be #3 in all rankings with the Saints #1 and Colts #2.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Bears lose and go from 12 to 10... riiiiiiiiiiight. Chargers go from 16 to 14... riiiiiiiiiight.

Gil Tard and Vic Tard from NFL have the Giants ahead of us? They have had an even EASIER schedule and were BLOWN OUT by a quality team... it wasn't like it was a close fought game.

We should be #3 in all rankings with the Saints #1 and Colts #2.

Hey, you're a great photo shopper... gtfih

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=85895

Old Dude
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Power rankings are fun, but they'll mean even less by the time Denver plays teams like the Giants & Colts.

Injuries are ripping up the league and no one's immune. Look what happened to the Chargers after they lost Jamal Williams. The Jets just lost Jenkins. Atlanta is taking some hits in the secondary. Cincy just lost Odom. It goes on and on.

No one can really afford much depth in these days of free agency, and there's no telling what teams will look like three or four weeks from now.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Tennessee's secondary is completely decimated.

ZONA
10-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Power rankings are fun, but they'll mean even less by the time Denver plays teams like the Giants & Colts.

Injuries are ripping up the league and no one's immune. Look what happened to the Chargers after they lost Jamal Williams. The Jets just lost Jenkins. Atlanta is taking some hits in the secondary. Cincy just lost Odom. It goes on and on.

No one can really afford much depth in these days of free agency, and there's no telling what teams will look like three or four weeks from now.

Yeah, we've been fortunate this season in regards to injuries but we've paid our dues over the past 3 or 4 seasons. It's about time the football gods gave us a break.

TonyR
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
...the Colts have faced a very easy schedule...

Coming into this past weekend their opponents were a combined 8-16 and are now 10-18. By contrast ours are a combined 16-18.

Sagarin, however, ranks our SOS 18th, Indy's 19th. The Giants is 30th.

The MVPlaya
10-20-2009, 01:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/7321/power-rankings-how-the-voters-voted-25

I can't believe some of these retards.

Who is that 3rd guy who ranked us 7TH???????

Broncoman13
10-20-2009, 01:45 PM

You don't watch much football do you???

They're lucky, extremely lucky to not be 4-2.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/7321/power-rankings-how-the-voters-voted-25

Matt Williamson.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM

You could make that argument about Denver too though.

Mediator12
10-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, we've been fortunate this season in regards to injuries but we've paid our dues over the past 3 or 4 seasons. It's about time the football gods gave us a break.

The Colts have played a mediocre schedule, but they have also been playing with a lot of guys out injured. On offense, they have been missing Gonzalez and LT Charlie Johnson for multiple games. On defense, they have had half of their starting defense out for most of those games. Bob Sanders, Gary Brackett, Kelvin Hayden, and Marlin Jackson have all missed starts. That is 3/4 of their secondary out for almost every game plus Freeney has been hurt.

The sick thing is INDY is playing through these injuries and rookies are getting a lot of minutes at WR, CB, and RB. They are as deep as any team in the league right now and having to prove it.

Mogulseeker
10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
"You gotta give 110% and play for 60min"

Correction, "You gotta give 110% and play for 70%"!!!!

There is no I in the word team.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 02:00 PM
The Colts have played a mediocre schedule, but they have also been playing with a lot of guys out injured. On offense, they have been missing Gonzalez and LT Charlie Johnson for multiple games. On defense, they have had half of their starting defense out for most of those games. Bob Sanders, Gary Brackett, Kelvin Hayden, and Marlin Jackson have all missed starts. That is 3/4 of their secondary out for almost every game plus Freeney has been hurt.

The sick thing is INDY is playing through these injuries and rookies are getting a lot of minutes at WR, CB, and RB. They are as deep as any team in the league right now and having to prove it.

Whatever man, they have Peyton Manning. Its ****ing easy to play defense when your team is like 30 points ahead all the time.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-20-2009, 02:16 PM
What's that website run by that stat geek Chiefs fan? Anybody remember?

Bronco Yoda
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
IMO, the Ravens and the Pack are better than their rankings given

TheChamp24
10-20-2009, 03:25 PM

I saw that and immediately threw Matt Williamson's analysis out the window.
7th? Behind the PATRIOTS, who they beat down already?
What a load of crap.

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought the Vikings are 3rd?

Yeah in the first one ... I was looking here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl09.htm

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 03:35 PM

So are we.

Rohirrim
10-20-2009, 03:38 PM

From what I've seen of them, it's Payton's play that is carrying this team. He's playing out of his head right now.

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

Best rankings I've seen.

SJ Bronco
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I knew this was crap when the saints weren't #1

Broncoman13
10-21-2009, 10:35 AM
You could make that argument about Denver too though.

5-1 maybe... not 4-2, and I wasn't complaining about the ranking being too low or too high.

If you're going to look at records only then one could say that the Cowboys are a better team than the Ravens b/c their record is better. Sorry, but that doesn't hold up.

I'm one that believes that Denver's "power rankings" thru the first three weeks were accurate as they hadn't played a difficult schedule. A 3-0 Broncos team didn't prove to the world that they were a "contender". Now, three weeks later having played the Cowboys, Patriots, and Chargers... yeah, they've proved it.

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 10:39 AM
5-1 maybe... not 4-2.

The tipped ball for sure. Maybe if Tom hit Randy and Wes properly another. Who knows what would've happened if Brandon didn't take it to the house.

Bottom line: They didn't.

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/7/4/9/f_animation13m_a076016.gif

Broncoman13
10-21-2009, 10:43 AM
From what I've seen of them, it's Payton's play that is carrying this team. He's playing out of his head right now.

When you give up close to 300 yards rushing and have the ball for 15 minutes in a game... and win. Yeah, you better be thanking your QB b/c he did something special to win that one!!!

The Colts D has struggled to give their QB the ball for quite some time. When the players return from injury it should be different.

Merlin
10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Defense sucks.
Not only that. They have a couple of late game scores that could have easily gone the other way. I.e. they are not clearly beating others. Other than KC, Denver has done a pretty good job of imposing their will on other teams, even when the scores were close (e.g. Dallas). Now the Saints I don't understand. A power house offense and a D that could compare to Denver's. They should be ranked #1, Indy arguably #2 because they are playing well on both sides of the ball. However, since Indy has played not played any good teams yet, one could argue that Denver should be at #2. Also, unlike many other teams, Denver has a lot more room for improvement because the coaches and players are still developing under the new systems.

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
CBS Sportsline:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12394050

It all seems so hard to believe. A coaching star is fired, replaced by a fresh-faced kid whose claim to fame is calling plays for one of the era's great quarterbacks. The kid then jettisons the young franchise quarterback he inherits, brings in "his" guy to play the position, and then fist-pumps his way to a 6-0 start doing things exactly the way he said he would do them.
<STYLE type=text/css>div.embedVideo { width: 354px; background-color: #000000; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 5px; padding: 4px; text-align: center; float: left;}</STYLE>Who was I to doubt Josh McDaniels?
I'm done being a Denver Broncos skeptic. For weeks, I kept saying they weren't as good as their record. Dallas, I said, would beat them. They didn't. New England surely would. Nope. But, wait, San Diego had to have Monday's game if the Chargers were to have any real chance of winning the AFC West. Plus, they were coming off a bye, a rested, desperate team.
The final was Denver 34, San Diego 23. So much for that angle.
Division race: Over.
My doubts about the Broncos: Over.
The Broncos and McDaniels are proving to many people, me included, that we have no idea what to expect each and every NFL season. Anybody outside the Rocky Mountain region not named McDaniels who thought this would be a playoff team is lying worse than that balloon fool.
I have been a champion McDaniels ripper. Maybe even the gold-medal winner.
He traded away Jay Cutler. I ripped him.
He smugly answered questions at the league meetings about his decision to consider the move -- before it was made. I ripped him.
<STYLE type=text/css>.master table {margin-right: 8px; margin-bottom: 8px; margin-top: 8px;}.master td {padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 10px; padding-top: 6px; padding-bottom: 6px;}.master p {margin-top:6px; margin-bottom: 6px; font-size: 11px;}</STYLE>Let's see. I ripped him for mimicking Bill Belichick -- hoodie and whistle twirling included -- and I ripped him for his apparent disdain for the media, including not making time for his local beat guys at the combine, not even 15 minutes.
At 6-0, none of that matters now. McDaniels could push cameramen around now, just like Bill, and it wouldn't matter. He can browbeat the media, just like Bill, and it wouldn't bother anybody. He can put up all those cliché signs that Bill uses -- "Do Your Job" is a favorite -- and nobody blinks an eye. If he wanted to send Brandon Marshall to Siberia, it wouldn't matter.
That's what winning can do. It makes McDaniels look smarter than everybody else, certainly smarter than me, and leaves those of us who questioned him wondering why we ever did.
The Broncos face a tough schedule the next month or so. They play at Baltimore, home against Pittsburgh, at Washington (OK, not so tough), home against San Diego and then home against the New York Giants on Thanksgiving.
I would say those five games will get the best of the Broncos. But the way they're going, I won't dare.
The Broncos head to their bye week at 6-0, which has them in the fourth spot in our Power Rankings. It's hard to believe they are 6-0 and the Tennessee Titans are 0-6. And who could have imagined Kyle Orton would be an MVP candidate?
That's the beauty of the NFL.
It's also what makes it so maddening to try to figure out.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR id=rank class=bg2 height=17 vAlign=center align=right><TD class=bg2 rowSpan=2 align=middle>http://images.sportsline.com/images/nfl/gamecenter/logos/DEN.gif (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DEN)</TD><TD class=bg4 align=middle>4</TD><TD class=bg4 align=middle>Broncos (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/DEN) · Trends (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/rankings/DEN)</TD><TD class=bg4 align=middle>5</TD></TR><TR id=txt class=bg2 height=17 vAlign=center align=right><TD colSpan=3 align=left>And we thought McDaniels was too young and Kyle Orton not good enough. They better get rested during the bye. The schedule after that is brutal.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>-----------------------

It was brutal before the bye.....

Merlin
10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
It was brutal before the bye.....
That is the one good fortune (if one can call it that) that McD has had. The schedule allows him to push the players to maintain their focus and ignore their record. As long as they are playing good teams, it is hard for players to take a mental week off (not that McD would allow it).

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Were number one on the we told you so scale.

I think Mcdaniels is so full of energy it has rubbed of on the team.

I think they are having a lot of fun.

TheReverend
10-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Were number one on the we told you so scale.

I think Mcdaniels is so full of energy it has rubbed of on the team.

I think they are having a lot of fun.

At 6-0 on a team where you're physically beating up your opponent every week, who wouldn't be having fun?

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Really we are just sticking our big toe into this schedule. We have some tough tough games. Games you could play really well in and still lose. Those are some good teams we play over the remaining 10 weeks.

I sort of feel like everyone thinks the afc west is wrapped up. It's not by a long shot.

Broncos still have to go out and beat good teams to get it done. Don't go thinking KC/OAK will roll over for us. Last yr we dominated Raiders first game and then not the second game.

The season is going great but Broncos really haven't done a thing yet.

Garcia Bronco
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Really we are just sticking our big toe into this schedule. We have some tough tough games. Games you could play really well in and still lose. Those are some good teams we play over the remaining 10 weeks.

I sort of feel like everyone thinks the afc west is wrapped up. It's not by a long shot.

Broncos still have to go out and beat good teams to get it done. Don't go thinking KC/OAK will roll over for us. Last yr we dominated Raiders first game and then not the second game.

The season is going great but Broncos really haven't done a thing yet.

You are correct. We have won nothing yet.