PDA

View Full Version : Anybody worried about how open the Chargers were?

TotallyScrewed
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I guess I'm concerned about how the defensive secondary is playing. Exspecially in the Chargers game, their receivers seemed to be wide open and the receptions were uncontested.

Overall, the defense played great and held them to 3-points or nothing but I was quite concerned (okay angry) about the ease at which SD moved the ball down field.

Is this a concern for Josh? Or should I STFU?

Rabb
10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
We are so lost on screens and the tight ends over the middle it bothers me, sometimes we get caught on blitzes and that will be a problem against Baltimore because they love using Rice out of the backfield on screens.

I was wondering the same thing.

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Jackson and Gates are great players. No shame in those guys catching a few balls. Plus the Chargers made some plays.

Man-Goblin
10-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Well, cowboy, when you blitz as much as the Broncos did last night, there's going to be guys open. Philip Rivers is a great QB and he found them early.

You will feel better if you just think of the 4th quarter when they were in his face every play so fast that he couldn't find anyone.

The Joker
10-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Chargers have good receivers and a great QB.

You can't stop them every play.

Defense was great again last night, all things considered.

Peoples Champ
10-20-2009, 10:13 AM
I guess I'm concerned about how the defensive secondary is playing. Exspecially in the Chargers game, their receivers seemed to be wide open and the receptions were uncontested.

Overall, the defense played great and held them to 3-points or nothing but I was quite concerned (okay angry) about the ease at which SD moved the ball down field.

I would only be concered if we continued to allow to let it happen. We mad adjustments at half like always, and held them to 3 pts in the 2nd half.

sisterhellfyre
10-20-2009, 10:17 AM

FWIW, I'm not especially concerned. We knew during training camp that the soft spot for the defense would probably be coverage by the linebackers. If you count Robert Ayers, four of the LBs are converted defensive linemen. They're learning and giving it good effort, but are still on the low end of the learning curve. That leaves the intermediate middle of the field (relatively) open, and that's just where the Chargers worked last night: 15 to 20 yards at a time. When Rivers tried to go deeper, the results weren't there because of combined pass rush and better coverage deeper into the secondary (with the exception of Andre Goodman's PI call, of course). The deep middle part of the field was especially where Antonio Gates earned his keep last night.

Between them, I think Doom and Ayers are showing flashes of being able to cover RBs out of the backfield. It was also nice to see the defensive linemen beginning to recognize when the pass rush was *too* easy and looking for screen passes last night. I'd like to see that continue as well. Woodyard may prove to be the best cover LB over time as he figures out just what his assignments are in the new system and how to be (legally) aggressive in coverage. And then there's DJ...

I think coverage for that part of the field will improve, but it's going to take time. Until then, we probably won't see the likes of Al Wilson dropping into a 30-yard coverage zone anytime soon.

baja
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM

I think it is the biggest weakness on the D side. We solved the issue last night by hurrying Rivers every pass but this is clearly our biggest weakness and if we don't fix it Manning will kill us.

baja
10-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Another reason we could cover it up in the second half is because SD has no running game.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-20-2009, 10:24 AM

As much as I HATE the guy, Rivers has been with those WR/TE's for a LOT of games. With the amount of adjustments they could execute based on the defense, ... they WILL get open eventually, unless the blitz gets them first!

gtown
10-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Jackson and Gates are great players. No shame in those guys catching a few balls. Plus the Chargers made some plays.

This.

I never realized how good Gates was until I saw him break a few ankles with body fakes on his routes. A guy that big with that kind of lateral agility is just not fair. And Jackson has size to go with tremendous leaping ability. Rivers literally just tosses it high in his general direction and the guy just goes and gets it.

I believe a few of these guys are gonna be free agents soon.

enjolras
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Early in the game the secondary was playing soft. It looked like the cover 2 we had been so terrible with over the last few years. That concerned me. It also stopped at some point in the second quarter.

From what I saw last night, it was really one play we struggled with. They delayed the tight-end coming off of the line of scrimmage for a very long time. This drew the attacking defense away and that tight-end squirted out completely free.

That worked because we we're really struggling to get any pressure at all on Rivers. It was fixed by a steady diet of attacking blitzes and the front 7 seemed to wear down the Chargers offensive line (as they have in every game this year). Pressure on the Quarterback makes that particular play impossible to run.

broncocalijohn
10-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Early in the game, there was a play to about the Broncos 15 yard line. Rivers had a ton of time to throw and Goodman was still in a zone by being around the 5 yard line. He had other guys covering behind him in the endzone and yet gave this 10 yard Slowick like coverage on the wideout. Easy throw for the first down. I cant wait to see the replay but not sure if they will show Goodman's coverage (he was off screen i am sure when WR caught it). This happened right in front of my section and I was commenting on it as the play was developing.

OBF1
10-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I will say it.... STFU

Go Broncos :)

HEAV
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Stfu

lostknight
10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I guess I'm concerned about how the defensive secondary is playing. Especially in the Chargers game, their receivers seemed to be wide open and the receptions were uncontested.

The Croyell inspired offense is really really good at precise routes with precise timing that are damn near impossible to burn. The only way to effectively do it is to blow up the quarterback. It's the one thing that I really wanted the Broncos to pick up in the offseason. A few routes that are just razor sharp.

SportinOne
10-20-2009, 11:33 AM
The Chargers were able to get wide open at times because we would send 8 guys and they would find a way to stop the pass rush. That is always going to get you. I was disappointed that they tried doing that when we've been getting pressure with 5 or 6 all year. I mean, any team can get pressure with 8 guys. It's a huge gamble, though.

Anyway, we sent a couple less guys towards the end and they found a way to get to Rivers. It was like the Giants in the Super Bowl. Rag dolled.

The only time I was worried about our D was when Dawkins came out, McBath was good but no one on this team can replace what Dawkins does.

Broncos4tw
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
It was a bit worrisome in the first half, we were quite sieve-like. But we tightened it up in the second. Just kept that pressure on until we wore them down.. it was a thing of beauty to watch. Rivers on his back is just awesome.. I hate that dude.

Broncoman13
10-20-2009, 11:41 AM

This!

The seam is a problem for this team. We adjusted well to the Screens so all is not lost... but yeah, it's a minor concern. BUT, it is tough to cover guys, especially when you have a QB that can really stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver accurate passes. Rivers is very good, considering he had almost 200 yards at the half, I'll treat last nights performance as a big victory over one of the NFL's best passing attacks. In fact, I think the Chargers passing attack is right behind the Saints and Colts.

Drek
10-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Its the same gameplan we used against the Pats. Play deep prevent coverage, apply some pressure, and see how they react. Get a good read on what their offensive game plan is, then adjust.

While it makes our D look a little soft to start games its a big part of setting up our stellar second halves. A few adjustments before the half last night and we started handling their O better, but Norv just chalked it up to a poorly executed drive. We then make the final adjustments to what we knew was working late in the first half during the break, and come out killing in the second half. The opposition doesn't get a significant period of downtime to adjust again until the game is over.

Winning close football games often comes down to whoever makes the last effective adjustment. Nolan and McDaniels have shown a penchant for not only making effective adjustments but also making sure that we're the last one to do so, dictating to the opposition late in games.

broncofan2438
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM

You can't stop them every play.

Defense was great again last night, all things considered.

Was thinking the same thing. I said that clock mngmnt and the turnover battle had to be won last night and sure enough......

Keep rivers off the field and we are good

Spider
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
u cant have both .......... pressure or coverage 1 or the other

broncswin
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Stfu

YEP!!:thumbsup:

Br0nc0Buster
10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
San Diego has a really good passing game

Outside of the PI call they didnt get any huge plays on us, which they seemed to do at will last year

ZONA
10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Simply put, most WR's will be open when you blitz more then one guy (like we did often). Give Rivers some credit, many of the plays they made in the passing game was with Rivers inside the collapsing pocket. If you blitz, some QB's will feel the pressure and look to get out of the pocket quickly. Phillip and Ben are 2 guys that you HAVE to get all the way there and actually knock them backwards or down. You can't just have a hand on his back, they will still get off the throws. And weapon X was missing for most of the game so that did hurt a little bit also.

TotallyScrewed
10-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Another reason we could cover it up in the second half is because SD has no running game.

Let's hope that this is addressed over the bye week (or is it bi-week?) big-time. But regarding the Colts, that's our only hope is that they continue to struggle in the running game and that E. Doom plops Manning on his dome five times. So far, Manning has looked All Universe.

cutthemdown
10-21-2009, 05:20 AM
There are good players on SD and you can't stop every play all the time.

TotallyScrewed
10-21-2009, 05:22 AM
I will say it.... STFU

Go Broncos :)

Some of you guys (and gals) are real witty and some are real pithy...both make me laugh. Good Job!^5

TotallyScrewed
10-21-2009, 05:27 AM
It was a bit worrisome in the first half, we were quite sieve-like. But we tightened it up in the second. Just kept that pressure on until we wore them down.. it was a thing of beauty to watch. Rivers on his back is just awesome.. I hate that dude.

No sh!t...I hate that dude. I like that look on his face at the end of the game. It was something like: disbelief and confusion rolled into one.

Rivers: Who the **** is Doomerville and why can't my o-line hold him more effectively."

...priceless.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-21-2009, 05:37 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1019/nfl_a_rivers3_480.jpg

/ negates the problem of open recievers

// TCB

ant1999e
10-21-2009, 06:06 AM
We are so lost on screens and the tight ends over the middle it bothers me, sometimes we get caught on blitzes and that will be a problem against Baltimore because they love using Rice out of the backfield on screens.

I was wondering the same thing.

But in regards to the screens in the san Iego game, our defense did start to sniff them out and stop them. I remember one play where a d-lineman was rushing the passer and hen he stopped and ran to his left. I was like, where the hell is he going. Then rivers threw a screen that was crushed by the D.