PDA

View Full Version : Gaffney

manchambo
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Am I alone in being kind of disappointed with his play?

I've noticed a couple of times where he's fairly soft going for the ball. Basically lets himself get outworked by the DB.

Also, on that 12 yard run last night, he had an opportunity to throw a key block that might have sprung the play for a better gain, but basically did nothing. It looked to me a like a play where Rod Smith would have blocked at least two guys.

Mountain Bronco
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Just the opposite for me. He is a clutch reciever on third down and a solid run blocker IMO. He is a great team guy as well.

bowtown
10-20-2009, 09:29 AM

Yes.

Taco John
Yeah, count me in as being satisfied with how clutch he's been as a third down option. I wish we'd utilize him more there, as he's another guy who's shown that he can move the chains on key downs.

_Oro_
Yeah he's made his plays. He's not going to go out there and dominate a game but he's come up huge for us many times this year already.

Irish Stout
10-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Gaffney is not a Royal, Marshall or Stokely, but he has done what he has needed to do and done it well.

My question is what the hell happened to Brandon Lloyd?

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I assume you mean brandon lloyd, and he doesnt play special teams. Gaffney was signed to do exactly what he's doing. Great addition to the team and a solid option for Orton.

Popps
10-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Don't know if you're alone, but I'm not with you. I think he's been a crucial weapon for Orton at various points in every game. I don't have the individual downs in front of me... but he's made big catches on a routine basis.

OABB
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Gaffney has been the best possession receiver on the team so far...Bmarsh has the td's and the one huge play, but Gaffney has been clutch and solid in every game this season.

Kaylore
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
He was the third receiver in NE and he's been more than that for us, especially for what we're paying him. I'm not sure what you expected from him.

jhns

I've noticed a couple of times where he's fairly soft going for the ball. Basically lets himself get outworked by the DB.

Also, on that 12 yard run last night, he had an opportunity to throw a key block that might have sprung the play for a better gain, but basically did nothing. It looked to me a like a play where Rod Smith would have blocked at least two guys.

I have liked his play when he is receiving. He did take that one play off though. I hope it doesn't happen often. Either way, I think we will continue seeing less of him as our better recievers learn and grow in the new system.

Irish Stout
I assume you mean brandon lloyd, and he doesnt play special teams. Gaffney was signed to do exactly what he's doing. Great addition to the team and a solid option for Orton.

Yes Lloyd, changed it. Thanks! Tuesday morning hangovers make life tough.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
I saw that play too, he really needs to commit to a block when the RB is approaching, either lead block or cover his back! Standing there like a traffic cone won't help anybody!

I think Gaffney is doing ok, not great but ok. As a "role player" he is awesome, taking the attention of most team's #2 CB, leaving Royal, Stokely and Scheffler (if he splits wide) to be covered by lesser CBs! ;)

Pony Boy
10-20-2009, 09:39 AM

"Alone on an Island"

HEAV
10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13132486

08/16/2009
Jabar Gaffney didn't catch any balls in the Broncos' preseason opener. Omen or aberration?

It's hard to tell with Gaffney. He may be the ultimate mystery man on one of the NFL's pre-eminent mystery teams. He could be a man for all seasons, or he could be rendered an afterthought in the Broncos' offense.

At the moment, all we know is this — Josh McDaniels is glad to have him on the roster.

"He's got a role," McDaniels said. "He knows what his role is. He's going to go out there and play wherever we need him to play in certain situations. You know you're going to face injuries in this league. If somebody goes down, it's easy to say, 'Hey, Jab, go play that slot,' and he won't even blink. That's a great comfort to a coach."

Therein lies the real beauty of Gaffney. He doesn't have a role; he has every role. He doesn't know when or where he's going to play. All he knows is, when the need arises, he'll be ready.

"I can come in and fill a lot of holes," Gaffney said. "If anything happens with the receivers, I can pretty much go into that spot. That's the thing. No matter what, I can go in and be effective. That's what I go out there and do."

History suggests that he'll catch somewhere around 40 passes in his first season in a Broncos uniform. He has played seven NFL seasons. In the six seasons in which he stayed healthy, he has averaged 41 catches per season.

So how many will it be? For all anyone knows, he could catch 20 balls or 50. At the moment, he's listed No. 1 on the depth chart at wide receiver. Now for the fine print: He's ahead of, among others, Brandon Marshall.

"I'd like to try to keep it that way, but I know it's just the start," he said. "Josh said in the first team meeting that you have to earn your spot, your role on the team. So I just come out here every day working and trying to stay there on top. But in the end, it's about catching passes and helping the team win."

Imagine that, an NFL wideout talking team first. Did he miss the memo that all NFL receivers are supposed to be card-carrying divas? No. It just took him some time to get it out of his system.

"Part of you wants to be a star, but I'll take a win any day," he said. "That's still inside me. I still feel like I'm the Man, and I can go out there and, if they come to me, I'll make the play. As long as you have that feeling inside you, you'll be all right.

"The more you stick around, the more you learn. It comes with being a pro. You come to understand that you've got guys who are marquee players. And then you have other players, the role players. Everybody is a role player, even the 'star players.' What you've got to do is take your role and do it to the best of your abilities."

Gaffney was drafted to be a star, selected by Houston with the first pick in the second round in 2002. After averaging 43 catches a season with the Texans, he joined the Patriots during the 2006 season. He accounted for only 11 catches during the season, then proceeded to put up historic numbers in the playoffs.

He caught 21 passes in the Pats' three playoff games and became the first player in NFL history to rack up back-to-back postseason games with at least eight catches for 100-plus yards. His offensive coordinator that year? That would be Josh McDaniels.

"I've had a great deal of respect for him ever since he came to New England," McDaniels said. "He joined us in the middle of the season and learned our offense in six weeks. And then

(Click image to enlarge)he goes out and catches 21 balls in the playoffs. There are so many things he does. He's versatile, he's smart and he's tough. That's what I like about him. He comes to work every day, and no matter what position you ask him to play, he can do it."
Good thing because there's no telling where the Broncos might need him. Sure, Marshall was acquitted of assault charges by an Atlanta jury, but that doesn't mean his issues are behind him. He still has to prove his hip is healthy and his head is screwed on tightly.

The uncertainty surrounding Marshall makes Gaffney's presence even more important than McDaniels envisioned when he signed him as a free agent. If Marshall catches 100-plus balls, as he did in the past two seasons, Gaffney could be a bit player in the Broncos' offense. But if Marshall continues his enigmatic ways, Gaffney could be a go-to guy.

"I'm ready for whatever role, whether it's catching 90 balls or 50," said Gaffney. "I'm all about helping the team get first downs and touchdowns. It's about helping us compete at a championship level. That was one of the things that was taught to us in New England, and it's been taught here as well.

"It's not an 'I' game; it's about the team. If one week you catch 10 balls and the next week you catch none, it's all good as long as you came out with a win both times."

--------------

I did notice that on the last TD drive Gaff was on the sideline with his hat on, he was smiling and cheering the team, may have gotten ding up. No word on an injury as of yet.

azbroncfan
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Gaffney has been the 2nd best reciever on the team. Marshall is the workhorse and Slot machine is the clutch play/big catch guy and Gaffney has just played solid. He is outplaying Royal which I didn't expect.

rbackfactory80
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Didn't he have a huge fumble against the Colts in the playoffs?

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
He's exceeded my expectations.

Drek
10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Didn't he have a huge fumble against the Colts in the playoffs?

I believe that was Reche Caldwell.

Gaffney is excellent for what we ask of him. Do I wish he attacked the ball like Marshall or had Royal's burst out of his cuts? Sure. But if he did he wouldn't be in Denver, he'd be a #1 or #2 somewhere else.

He's as good a 3rd or 4th WR as you'll find in the league. I'd say he's a step behind Stokley but the two of them and their crisp, precise routes are the foundation of our passing game. One of them is almost always there to give Orton an open look. They might not be early in Orton's progression, but they do their job consistently and efficiently.

OBF1
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Excellent addition to the team, Guy just makes catches when the ball is thrown his way.

broncofan2438
10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Just the opposite for me. He is a clutch reciever on third down and a solid run blocker IMO. He is a great team guy as well.

Me to. I thought he played well and always tries to get more yardage after the catch

outdoor_miner
10-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I've been really happy with him as a 3rd/4th receiver. He's had a couple nice games, which is all you can really expect or hope for. What's amazing to me is how McD's philosophy that everyone will eventually get a chance to shine has come to fruition. Last night it was Scheffler. Marshall and Royal against New England. Marshall against Dallas. Buckhalter and Moreno were awesome against Oakland. Stokley early in the season. Gaffney had a big game against Cleveland. It's just awesome to watch as each player steps up at different times.

Br0nc0Buster
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I dont know how anyone could be dissapointed in Gaffney

He knows the offense, he gets open and moves the chains

Hopefully McKinley can be a faster Gaffney for us

mhgaffney
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I can tell you I am not disappointed.

On the contrary.

DarkHorse
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I've actually been surprised by his clutch plays for us this year. Coming into the season I didn't view him as any more than a 4th receiver that was going to help the other guys learn the system. In 6 weeks he's proven to be an asset to this team and has made some very good plays for us so far.

SoDak Bronco
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
you've failed miserably on this thread

broncocalijohn
10-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Me to. I thought he played well and always tries to get more yardage after the catch

I think his timing with Orton on where to exactly be is clutch. He doesnt drop the ball and is trusted. Nice to have another option on this line of MArshall, Royal, Stokely and Gaffney. Throw in the TE for good measure. We are blessed with this former Patriot (oh, no). Have seen BF in awhile but I wonder if she can give any type of love for a former Pat like Gaffney.

You have failed thread starter. Next time put in a poll so you can really see how alone you are. FAIL!