PDA

View Full Version : Defense - 6 games in...

TheDave
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
#2 in total defense (yards)

#1 in pts allowed

#1 in Sacks

#6 in interceptions

#7 against the pass

#4 against the run

How the hell does a team go from that pile of crap D we watched last year to this?

Unbelievable job by the coaching staff and even better job acquiring the right players to play this brand of football.

Doggcow
10-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Btw we're #1 in points against and like 8 teams close to us have only played 5 games

spdirty
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM
And as long as they dont suffer significant injuries I cant see them dropping below a top 5 defense. Dont know how it was done, but I love it.

Spider
10-20-2009, 09:33 AM

#1 in pts allowed

#1 in Sacks

#6 in interceptions

#7 against the pass

#4 against the run

How the hell does a team go from that pile of crap D we watched last year to this?

Unbelievable job by the coaching staff and even better job acquiring the right players to play this brand of football.
:D Nolan has a clue on how to use Doom , and Dawkins wow what a pick up .....during the off season Nolan said build the secondary ,then the line , my first thought was hmmmmmmm this sounds like a bend dont break defense , but lets see how it works .......Doom has got some serious game and Nolan moves him around alot ...........

skpac1001
10-20-2009, 09:36 AM
And as mindblowing as those stats are by themselves, the 2nd half only stats are something I can't really even get a grip on. Not bad when the opposing teams include the second best and fourth best offenses by yards, and the 7th, 9th and 11th by points.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 09:38 AM
ALso tied for 1st in Yards Per Play at 4.4.
2nd in 1st downs per game at 15.7
1st in 3rd down % against at 27%.

Ambiguous
10-20-2009, 09:40 AM
This is phenomenal. I mean I would have been ecstatic just to see a middle of the road D at this point this year, but I really can't believe what I am seeing on the field.

Just amazing, I don't know what else to say.

underrated29
10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Teams only have 30 minutes to beat us. Because after halftime, the game is essentially over for them. We constrict and put them in the death lock.

The reason why our d went from Last to BEST is NOLAN and Lack of Bob Blowsdyck.

TheDave
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
And as mindblowing as those stats are by themselves, the 2nd half only stats are something I can't really even get a grip on. Not bad when the opposing teams include the second best and fourth best offenses by yards, and the 7th, 9th and 11th by points.

I completely forgot about that... 2nd half stats are mind blowing.

TheDave
10-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Teams only have 30 minutes to beat us. Because after halftime, the game is essentially over for them. We constrict and put them in the death lock.

The reason why our d went from Last to BEST is NOLAN and Lack of Bob Blowsdyck.

I 100% agree that Nolan get a huge amout of credit, but the job McKidd did drafting and acquiring these guys in FA is also amazing. 8 new startes on D...WTF?

bronco militia
10-20-2009, 09:48 AM

#1 in pts allowed

#1 in Sacks

#6 in interceptions

#7 against the pass

#4 against the run

only three starters remain from last year......

oh, and these guys don't mind tackling if they can't get a kill shot.

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2009, 09:50 AM
I liked that our Defense took the field first last night.

Tombstone RJ
10-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Again, this all goes back to Shanny. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Why? Turning a defense around is not as hard as turning an offense around and Shanny HAD the offense.

I will never undestand why Shanny couldn't get it done.

Old Dude
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Kinda fun to watch, isn't it?

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 10:09 AM

There's what I care about.

That number had to jump significantly with how well SD moved the ball in the first half, as well.

Awesome.

bronclvr
10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Kinda fun to watch, isn't it?

absolutely

worm
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Outside of numbers and stats...It just seems like there are more guys out there on defense. Very bizarre.

When I watched the D last year, it always seems like they were playing with 8 or 9 guys (probably the rush 2 drop 5 scheme of Bob's had something to do with it).

This year it almost seems like like there are 14 or 15 guys out there on D. Tons of people crowding the line of scrimmage on every play. The D most always in the right place with multiple people in position to make a tackle.

Unprecedented turn-around. I might be in love with Mike Nolan.

Regardless of the players....this scheme is a work of art. Please, please,please don't take a head coaching job Mike.

Majik
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
but the job McKidd did drafting and acquiring these guys in FA is also amazing. 8 new startes on D...WTF?

I know this is looking way too far ahead but Im already excited to see the kind of talent McGenius acquires this coming offseason.

gyldenlove
10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah, we already have 10 forced fumbles this year, leads the league.

Last year we had 9 all season, our 6 interceptions matches the total from last year.

Our 21 sacks are only 5 short of last years total.

gyldenlove
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Outside of numbers and stats...It just seems like there are more guys out there on defense. Very bizarre.

When I watched the D last year, it always seems like they were playing with 8 or 9 guys (probably the rush 2 drop 5 scheme of Bob's had something to do with it).

This year it almost seems like like there are 14 or 15 guys out there on D. Tons of people crowding the line of scrimmage on every play. The D most always in the right place with multiple people in position to make a tackle.

Unprecedented turn-around. I might be in love with Mike Nolan.

Regardless of the players....this scheme is a work of art. Please, please,please don't take a head coaching job Mike.

The best thing about this year is that we are punching people in the face, we are not sitting around waiting for people to do something, we are coming after them and kicking some ass.

The pursuit and effort of this defense is unreal, if you look at rushes to the outside and short passes to the outside they always end up in a huge pile of Broncos players.

lazarus4444
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Words cannot describe how absolutely pathetic and miserable last years defense was. If cutler wanted out because of the D then i don't blame him. I mean, it actually physically hurt to watch last years defense. EVERYBODY looked like hall of famers against them, even the ****tiest quarterbacks. That defense was a mutated abortion of FAIL!

WolfpackGuy
10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I like the delayed blitzes off the games being played by the defensive line.

Guys curling from behind are coming free.

Should've had like 7 or 8 sacks last night.

eddie mac
10-20-2009, 10:46 AM

For sure but then again last nights total of 5 is the most Rivers has been sacked in a game thus far.

WolfpackGuy
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
For sure but then again last nights total of 5 is the most Rivers has been sacked in a game thus far.

I don't know how Phyllis got away from some of those sacks.

It was great to see her run for her life.

She better get used to it because their running game is toast.

Kaylore
10-20-2009, 10:49 AM

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/bob-slowik.jpg

Popps
10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm just ****ing giddy about this brand of football. I've wanted us to get here for so long. Not to say that we've "arrived," but from a philosophy perspective, this is playoff football. We're sticking with the run, not being silly with the ball and we're making game-changing plays on defense, and getting the **** after the QB on every single play.

It's scheme, personnel, coordinators, head coach and attitude. A lot had to come together for this all to turn so quickly.

baja
10-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Good point wolfe Rivers was burning the blitz time after time but when Nolan started to send a player after the initial rush it worked like a charm. DJ up the middle on the delay was killer,

HooptyHoops
10-20-2009, 10:57 AM

Remember last year...we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down...it didn't matter if it was 3rd & 1 or 3rd & 25...we couldn't do it! This is absolutely a mind-blowing turn-around!!

HooptyHoops
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh yeah, we already have 10 forced fumbles this year, leads the league.

Last year we had 9 all season, our 6 interceptions matches the total from last year.

Our 21 sacks are only 5 short of last years total.

They'll get those 5 sacks in our next game...we're on fire when it comes to getting to the QB!!

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
They'll get those 5 sacks in our next game...we're on fire when it comes to getting to the QB!!

Especially with how the Ravens line is playing...

Old Dude
10-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Enjoy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/10/20/bolts.broncos.5things/index.html

Amazing second half stats.

In the second half this year, Denver has outscored (76-10) and outgained (1,368-605) opponents while limiting them to just two third-down conversions in 35 chances.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
There's what I care about.

That number had to jump significantly with how well SD moved the ball in the first half, as well.

Awesome.

Actually no, SD was 2 for 11 on 3rd down in the game.

They got their first downs on first and second down.

kappys
10-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Good point wolfe Rivers was burning the blitz time after time but when Nolan started to send a player after the initial rush it worked like a charm. DJ up the middle on the delay was killer,

It was the perfect adjustment. The Chargers O-line was doing a remarkably good job managing the blitz and giving Rivers time to make his drops and passes. The problem is that its almost impossible for the line to prevent a blitz delay from getting at the QB - the key to beat it a quick release from the QB. Fortunately Norv stuck to his 7 step drops and deep routes which gave DJ and Davis the time they needed to get to him and disrupt plays.

Norv's obsession with the vertical passing game for which Rivers is an ideal QB is killing that team. He refuses to recognize that they simply don't have the talent at OL to make it work.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Actually no, SD was 2 for 11 on 3rd down in the game.

They got their first downs on first and second down.

Ah, okay, that explains it then.

Drek
10-20-2009, 12:37 PM

He eased off the 7 man rushes and instead went 4 or 5 with a 5th or 6th man as a delay. We actually reduced our number of rushers, but by changing up the timing and stacking sides when we did it we started poking big holes in their pass protection.

You can't underrate how smart the guys called on to make those delay blitzes have to be as well. They often have multiple choices on what gap to blitz. Picking the path where SD's blockers have committed to other rushers and slicing through requires very quick read and react capabilities.

DJ was particularly impressive at it. I hope we keep that delayed blitz from him in our back pocket every Sunday from here on out.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
He eased off the 7 man rushes and instead went 4 or 5 with a 5th or 6th man as a delay. We actually reduced our number of rushers, but by changing up the timing and stacking sides when we did it we started poking big holes in their pass protection.

You can't underrate how smart the guys called on to make those delay blitzes have to be as well. They often have multiple choices on what gap to blitz. Picking the path where SD's blockers have committed to other rushers and slicing through requires very quick read and react capabilities.

DJ was particularly impressive at it. I hope we keep that delayed blitz from him in our back pocket every Sunday from here on out.

I don't think DJ's sack was on a designed delay blitz.

I think it was a QB spy where no receiver was in his zone, so he added pressure and brought Phillip down. Great play by DJ.

Rohirrim
10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Enjoy:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/10/20/bolts.broncos.5things/index.html

Amazing second half stats.

In the second half this year, Denver has outscored (76-10) and outgained (1,368-605) opponents while limiting them to just two third-down conversions in 35 chances.

Thanks. I enjoyed that. :thumbsup:

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey is playing at a Pro Bowl level. When he was matched up against wideout Vincent Jackson, you never heard Jackson's name.

Drek
10-20-2009, 12:52 PM

I think it was a QB spy where no receiver was in his zone, so he added pressure and brought Phillip down. Great play by DJ.

I'd agree, but what actually happened was effectively a delayed blitz.

We let DJ sit in the middle, read, and make a play.

Not long ago the notion of letting DJ make his own read would've sent much of this board into panic attacks. Now we're seeing him make big plays and really show off some of that athleticism. Need to keep putting him in those kinds of positions.

Rock Chalk
10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/therealthing.gif

TheDave
10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/therealthing.gif

:rofl:

The Joker
10-20-2009, 01:48 PM
That cartoon is so ****ing awesome.

It's the expression on the Bronco face that makes it.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
That cartoon is so ****ing awesome.

It's the expression on the Bronco face that makes it.

Personally, I like how the suction cup arrow hits the mouth, shutting up Phyllis.

bronclvr
10-20-2009, 03:31 PM
What bothers me is that Nolan is not getting enough of the credit. I don't know where we would be, but it certainly wouldn't be 6-0 if not for Mike-he is doing an absolutely amazing job-I wish he would get more attention. I wonder how long we can keep him-

R8R H8R
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Again, this all goes back to Shanny. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Why? Turning a defense around is not as hard as turning an offense around and Shanny HAD the offense.

I will never undestand why Shanny couldn't get it done.

As a Shanny fan, I have asked myself that very ? many times. I suppose you can point to many factors including bad drafting, bad FA acquisitions, changing coordinators too often, hiring cronies (Rhodes, Slowick), etc.,etc.

And I don't have an answer for it either, other than I guess it is a little bit of everything, and that is on Shanny. For his sake, he better come up with the answer also, or his next job won't be for "life".

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
What bothers me is that Nolan is not getting enough of the credit. I don't know where we would be, but it certainly wouldn't be 6-0 if not for Mike-he is doing an absolutely amazing job-I wish he would get more attention. I wonder how long we can keep him-

If he's smart he'll stay where he is.

ayjackson
10-20-2009, 06:33 PM

I think if you watch it again, he had responsibility for Tomlinson. When tomlinson got hung up in traffic trying to get out of the backfield, DJ broke for the QB. While I'm not sure if DJ thought Tomlinson was chipping a DLman, or if he realized he just couldn't get free, it was a great instinctive play.

Lolad
10-20-2009, 06:44 PM
DJ Williams has changed into a new man this offseason. Last year when he blitzed it seemed like he always came in soft. He would be completely dominated by RB's... This season he's moving them out the way and going in there like an animal.

Florida_Bronco
10-20-2009, 07:40 PM
DJ Williams has changed into a new man this offseason. Last year when he blitzed it seemed like he always came in soft. He would be completely dominated by RB's... This season he's moving them out the way and going in there like an animal.

Surprising what a legit scheme and position coaches can do.

oldustyballs
10-20-2009, 09:44 PM
If he's smart he'll stay where he is.

You're not threatning Nolan are you?
:~ohyah!:

vindico
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Amazing how that works.

TheReverend
10-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Surprising what a legit scheme and position coaches can do.

Yikes.

UberBroncoMan
10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh sweet memories.

BTW

The Dolphins (with Nolan) are 8th in total defense (yards) and 17th in points.

...granted we're giving up almost an entire TD a game more.

Oh and we've only had 9 sacks all year... ALL ****ING YEAR!

...and Alphonso ****ing Smith has ONE INT LESS THAN OUR ENTIRE ****ING TEAM.

We're also tied for LAST PLACE IN FF'S!

I about hate this D as much as the 08 one.

OH **** I'M GOING TO GO THERE.

27.9 allowed this season.

We allowed 28 in 2008. WE'RE 0.1 ****ING POINT OFF FROM THAT **** **** SLOWIK D.