PDA

View Full Version : Hillis Craps in his Hat Again

USMCBladerunner
10-20-2009, 02:12 AM
As much as I and many others want this guy to do well and get more opportunities, Peyton Hillis sure has a knack for screwing up the chances he gets.

Darren Sproles TD punt return was Hillis' fault. He completely gave up his lane on the right sideline, allowing Sproles to cruise right up it, get a couple of damn good blocks and score a TD. If he sets and holds that lane, it goes OB or inside to a tackler. Hillis has all the ability he needs, so there is no excuse. Just do your job buddy. DO YOUR JOB.

Bronco Yoda
10-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Was that who blew it? I hadn't gotten a chance to watch the game again. He's not had a good start with McD that's for sure.

HAT
10-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Rasta is not going to like this thread.

Oh well.

We all love PH and hopefully he can either earn his way back or at least look decent enough to trade.

Taco John
10-20-2009, 03:12 AM
It's true. I'm a Hillis fan, but I sat there and watched him blow it.

Still, third and short yardage situations is the one glaring weakness this team has. I'd be suprised if there was any disagreement on that. Hillis could be our best answer to that problem. Moreno isn't it. He may be someday, but right now he doesn't have the bulk or power that we need in third down situations. He's a fantastic first or second down back (particularly second down, he's only average on first downs), but on third downs and short, he consistently comes up short.

It's hard to say what Buckhalter would do on third downs. The guy hasn't been given a single carry to date on third down (though he has factored in the passing game on third downs).

Hillis, on the other hand, has gotten a touchdown on first and goal with 2 yards to cover. That's exactly what we need in a third down back.

Hillis screwed up, for sure. But he's a resource that Josh should think about tapping on third downs to spare Knowshon's health, as well as the health of our defense - not to mention actually converting them. We are making under 40% of our third down tries right now.

watermock
10-20-2009, 03:17 AM
He's probably trying too hard.

Broncosfreak_56
10-20-2009, 03:23 AM

Still, third and short yardage situations is the one glaring weakness this team has. I'd be suprised if there was any disagreement on that. Hillis could be our best answer to that problem. Moreno isn't it. He may be someday, but right now he doesn't have the bulk or power that we need in third down situations. He's a fantastic first or second down back (particularly second down, he's only average on first downs), but on third downs and short, he consistently comes up short.

It's hard to say what Buckhalter would do on third downs. The guy hasn't been given a single carry to date on third down (though he has factored in the passing game on third downs).

Hillis, on the other hand, has gotten a touchdown on first and goal with 2 yards to cover. That's exactly what we need in a third down back.

Hillis screwed up, for sure. But he's a resource that Josh should think about tapping on third downs to spare Knowshon's health, as well as the health of our defense - not to mention actually converting them. We are making under 40% of our third down tries right now.

Hard for runningbacks to do anything when on 3rd and 1 your Oline gets pushed into the backfield every single time. I was suprised Knowshon was able to make that one third and short towards the end of the game. Even then, it was a great play on his part. Jumped over a couple people.

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2009, 03:26 AM
This sucks too because Hillis was a huge bright spot on our team last season.

Amazing hands, consistent YPC... almost no negative plays.

So weird to see him fall into nothingness like he has.

Drek
10-20-2009, 04:52 AM

Only problem with all that is if Orton feels the need to audible into something else Hillis won't know where to lineup, if we want to go play action Hillis won't know his blocking assignments, and at this point he's made himself look questionable at actually hanging onto the football.

Guy needs to take the bye and get his head right, then come back in two weeks ready to ball. If he could turn the page and be a combination short yardage beast and Kevin Faulk type receiving threat out of the backfield our offense would have a chance to be truly elite.

The Moops
10-20-2009, 04:54 AM
With all due respect to Bladerunner and Taco, I'm going to wait and hear from the coaches whether Hillis, alone, blew it.

As someone who played on punt and kickoff coverage in high school, you definitely have lane responsibilities, but there are also a couple of "safety" guys (other than the kicker) who are responsible for making sure the returner doesn't go all the way. And every player is instructed to create angles where they can pursue the runner if he breaks through . . .

Regarding his short-yardage prowess, I agree Hillis should not only be getting some carries but catching some passes as well. Here's a guy who rushed for 100 yards last year and caught passes for a 100 yards in 2 different games. The only other Broncos running back to do that in the same season?

Floyd Little.

I don't know what coaches are thinking when it comes to the role of a fullback. If the fullback is going to do nothing but be the lead blocker put a guard in there. Hester, of the Chargers, is another perfect example.

Hester was an awesome tailback in college at LSU. And he's relegated to the exact same role as Hillis. Just blocking. No running, no catching. I'm not sure Hester is even a decent blocker.

Despite being undefeated, McDaniels can only make the offense better by using the talents of Hillis . . . same with Norv Turner with Hester.

Blart
10-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Career rushing: 343 yards

Hillis is the first Bronco RB to have more threads than yards.

The Joker
10-20-2009, 05:24 AM
It's amazing what two or three good games will do for a guy.

****s his pants almost half the snaps he's out there, and yet we have people on here calling for him to be on the field more.

I'd be reducing his involvement if anything, regardless of how awesome he was last year.

Killericon
10-20-2009, 05:43 AM
This sucks too because Hillis was a huge bright spot on our team last season.

Amazing hands, consistent YPC... almost no negative plays.

So weird to see him fall into nothingness like he has.

Boy, where have I heard this before?

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/77164023.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193F017BA0BE69430F71D605876772C1EB3 A7CFF610D5B4FC25

(I'm not saying Hillis is anything like Bell in style, nor am I saying Bell was as good as Hillis, nor am I saying Bell had amazing hands...But the mysterious dropoff is really similar)

chadta
10-20-2009, 05:58 AM
career rushing: 343 yards

hillis is the first bronco rb to have more threads than yards.

lol

chrisp
10-20-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm as shocked and disappointed as anyone else. In the offseason some of us dared to dream that he might be the return of John Riggins or even Roger Craig. The worst case scenario was that he would be the return of Tom Rathman..

So far, apart from a decent showing in the preseason, he's looking like a guy who will be lucky to stay on the team right now. I don't know if its true that he was responsible for the runback, but if he is its only the latest in a series of costly errors that have put him in the doghouse...

The only explanation I can think of, is that athletically talented as he is, Hillis perhaps just isn't the smartest guy and struggles with the mental aspect of the offensive schemes - meaning that he's thinking too much, meaning that he's making mistakes. Probably in College he just ran over people...

Thing is, Shanny's scheme last year wasn't exactly sesame-street, and he managed to know his assignments there, so maybe that's not it, maybe he's a malcontent who isn't putting in the work off-the-field on the playbook becuase he thinks he's earned the right to more starting time than he has. Doesn't seem like the type to me but you never know.....

I don't mind saying I'm stumped on this one. If anyone can venture any opinions (or even - gasp - insider knowledge? Where's Wabbit when you need him...) I'm all ears becuase I would LOVE to see him sort himself out and start showing us what he can do.

I DO agree, however, that our short-yardage running woes are more directly attributable to the O-line than the RB. Those are the kind of situatuons where your line has to flat out overpower the other, and this season, as good as they are in pass pro, our line has not been doing this when it counts.

fontaine
10-20-2009, 06:30 AM

Incorrect.

Moreno does play with power and he's doing what Hillis did last year in running through tackles and always falling forward.

Our short yardage problems are more due to lack of running lanes when our OL goes into traditional blocking. Any time we went into the ZBS in the 2nd half we were gaining 4 plus a carry.

missingnumber7
10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I guess I missed where hillis was the only one that didn't do his job. The kick was designed to go that direction, the coverage was set to that side, there were more than just Hillis who missed an assignment. And all this because of one of the most electric kick returners brings a punt back against us? Why doesn't he just kick the ball out of bounds...I mean did we not learn that against Chicago?

barryr
10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
I'd like nothing better than for Hillis to get his act together and be another weapon for the offense, but so far, he hasn't done much to earn more chances.

dbfan21
10-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Hillis just needs to think back to what he did last year and in training camp that made him successful. All he has to do is get a few good plays, whether it's making a hard-nosed run when we need it or a nice catch out of the backfield, to get things pointed in the right direction.

Sometimes it only takes one play to turn it all around...kinda like Mashall's TD against the Cowboys.

go_broncos
10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
As much as I and many others want this guy to do well and get more opportunities, Peyton Hillis sure has a knack for screwing up the chances he gets.

Darren Sproles TD punt return was Hillis' fault. He completely gave up his lane on the right sideline, allowing Sproles to cruise right up it, get a couple of damn good blocks and score a TD. If he sets and holds that lane, it goes OB or inside to a tackler. Hillis has all the ability he needs, so there is no excuse. Just do your job buddy. DO YOUR JOB.

If he screwed it up, don't put him in special teams.

But, he needs to be there in 3rd/4th and short situations.

Karenin
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
When you're the 53rd guy on the team, you don't get the luxury of not playing special teams.

WoodMan
10-20-2009, 08:52 AM
He's probably trying too hard.

ROFL! I always have enjoyed you're humor.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I agree with the people who suggest trying to work Peyton in on the 3rd and 1's. Its really been the achilles hill of this offense and Hillis has the ability to pick these up on a consistent basis. He hasnt been playing well in other aspects of the game, but i think it would make the team better ifhe got some opportunities in those situations. He's in the game anyway as a lead blocker for some of em.

~Crash~
10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
I'd like nothing better than for Hillis to get his act together and be another weapon for the offense, but so far, he hasn't done much to earn more chances.

I think he is having trouble learning that is the only answer I got . I hope he spends every second digging deep in the books and the coach's get him were he needs to be coming out of the bye. I think he is worrying and hesitating.

If McD thinks he cannot make a difference in this system I hope they trade him to he Texan I bet we could get something still for him . I am a huge hills fan and want him to succeed

Peoples Champ
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
wait, I thought Hillis was a kick returner?

haha, thats just what people on the Mane said that the begining of the year and I was against it. I just wanted a speedy guy back there because it can change a game.

And look what Steady Eddie Royal did last night. Man im good.

ShutDownPoster
10-20-2009, 09:30 AM
We are 6-0 without Hillis making a contribution. Face it he's a leftover from the Shanny regime. If he could have an impact he already would have and quite frankly get off his jockular and move on. If you really believe in Josh and what he's doing then Hillis is just an afterthought. Next...

Spider
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
give Hillis time , he will picck it up ......... McD believes in Hillis , or Hillis would be gone right now

~Crash~
10-20-2009, 09:40 AM
We are 6-0 without Hillis making a contribution. Face it he's a leftover from the Shanny regime. If he could have an impact he already would have and quite frankly get off his jockular and move on. If you really believe in Josh and what he's doing then Hillis is just an afterthought. Next...

well you know life has a funny ass way about it . enjoy

ShutDownPoster
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
well you know life has a funny ass way about it . enjoy

thats fine, but let us just accentuate the positives LOL and Hillis has nothing to do with that this season, right?

Peoples Champ
10-20-2009, 09:43 AM
well our short yardage is crap again, we got stopped once, and Knowshon had a great dive on another, but we still got a good spot. I would like to at least try Hillis on a 3rd and 1 this year, and if it doesnt work, go back to Knowshon.

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2009, 09:46 AM

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/77164023.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193F017BA0BE69430F71D605876772C1EB3 A7CFF610D5B4FC25

(I'm not saying Hillis is anything like Bell in style, nor am I saying Bell was as good as Hillis, nor am I saying Bell had amazing hands...But the mysterious dropoff is really similar)

Not if you went to training camp. Mike Bell didn't play like he wanted it, and put the ball on the ground early and often.

USMCBladerunner
10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I guess I missed where hillis was the only one that didn't do his job. The kick was designed to go that direction, the coverage was set to that side, there were more than just Hillis who missed an assignment. And all this because of one of the most electric kick returners brings a punt back against us? Why doesn't he just kick the ball out of bounds...I mean did we not learn that against Chicago?

Well, I'm sure you are right that Hillis isn't the only one who failed to make a play, but San Diego blocked the play very well, especially after Sproles hit his lane...the most serious error was Hillis giving up the lane on the sideline in an effort to get past his blocker. He cut inside and let Sproles have way too much daylight right down the sideline. By the time anyone else could adjust, they were getting pancaked by blockers. Sproles is electric, and that he took it to the house isn't really the point. Hillis totally disregarded his assignment on that play, and it ended up costing the team a TD.

bpc
10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I saw this as well. He'll get reamed for it too because one person loses their gap on a return and it's to the house, especially with a Darren Sproles type back there.

Hillis is trying. I think the rumors of him not being the sharpest tool in the shed might be true though. Maybe the offense is too complex for him.

We definitely need to factor him into the game. 3rd and short would be fine with me. I agree with Taco, Moreno needs to go do some squats. He just lacks power coming through the hole. Every once in awhile he'll get his pads down but for the majority he runs too high and he isn't that fast which means lineman wrangle him down or he'll fall on first hit. I can't tell you how many defensive linemen, with one of our offensive linemen blocking them, bring Knowshon down when he's running through the line of scrimmage.

He's got to work on that. Do some jump rope, get quicker or build some more power in those hips and thighs.

Gort
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm as shocked and disappointed as anyone else. In the offseason some of us dared to dream that he might be the return of John Riggins or even Roger Craig. The worst case scenario was that he would be the return of Tom Rathman..

So far, apart from a decent showing in the preseason, he's looking like a guy who will be lucky to stay on the team right now. I don't know if its true that he was responsible for the runback, but if he is its only the latest in a series of costly errors that have put him in the doghouse...

The only explanation I can think of, is that athletically talented as he is, Hillis perhaps just isn't the smartest guy and struggles with the mental aspect of the offensive schemes - meaning that he's thinking too much, meaning that he's making mistakes. Probably in College he just ran over people...

Thing is, Shanny's scheme last year wasn't exactly sesame-street, and he managed to know his assignments there, so maybe that's not it, maybe he's a malcontent who isn't putting in the work off-the-field on the playbook becuase he thinks he's earned the right to more starting time than he has. Doesn't seem like the type to me but you never know.....

I don't mind saying I'm stumped on this one. If anyone can venture any opinions (or even - gasp - insider knowledge? Where's Wabbit when you need him...) I'm all ears becuase I would LOVE to see him sort himself out and start showing us what he can do.

I DO agree, however, that our short-yardage running woes are more directly attributable to the O-line than the RB. Those are the kind of situatuons where your line has to flat out overpower the other, and this season, as good as they are in pass pro, our line has not been doing this when it counts.

somebody on the OM posted a week or two ago that the rap on Hillis is that he's not too coachable. relies too much on his physical skills and doesn't listen as well to coaching as he needs to. seems like he could use a mentor like Rod Smith as well. :)

i don't think the new system has clicked for him yet. i wonder what his wonderlic was?

missingnumber7
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I'm sure you are right that Hillis isn't the only one who failed to make a play, but San Diego blocked the play very well, especially after Sproles hit his lane...the most serious error was Hillis giving up the lane on the sideline in an effort to get past his blocker. He cut inside and let Sproles have way too much daylight right down the sideline. By the time anyone else could adjust, they were getting pancaked by blockers. Sproles is electric, and that he took it to the house isn't really the point. Hillis totally disregarded his assignment on that play, and it ended up costing the team a TD.

I haven't seen the replay outside of the broadcast, haven't broken down film, haven't seen the play design nor have I seen coverage design. But I have punted before on a college team and I know how to kick the ball out of bounds especially when they have a good kick returner with a good blocking scheme. Football is a team game and coverage schemes on punts are designed to funnel returners to the mass of players, not for one player missing a lane assignment to completely be faulted for a TD. This whole blame game is ludacris.

SportinOne
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
It has much less to do with the running backs and what scheme we are using and much more to do with the size of our offensive linemen. Carry on.

ZONA
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM

I disagree. He's on the team for a reason and it's not just for special teams. I can see some different short yardage plays to change things up a bit. Instead of power plays, you could use him as a single back and throw out 4 WR to spread the defense and then use him up the middle, or flank him out for a pass. He still has awesome power and great hands. He's a damn good football player and he will make it back and do something special for this team down the road. I don't think Josh is the kinda guy to just go with the same plays over and over again all season long. I think in the 2nd half of the season, you will see some new plays and using Hillis could be a part of it. Teams haven't seen him alot and it would be hard to scout what he's going to do. Count on it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Well, that line drive punt that outkicked the coverage didn't help matters.

USMCBladerunner
10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, that line drive punt that outkicked the coverage didn't help matters.

ok...put it on Kern then...I'm sure Hillis was on point when he deliberately gave up his gap on the sideline (not exactly the point where you are crossing things up to beat the blocking assignments)...

Whether Kern was supposed to kick out of bounds or sky it or whatever is pure speculation...what is not speculation is that Hillis gave up his gap...it was one of the easier mistakes to spot on the TV...I saw it even before the replay.

Chalk one up for Brett Kern...:spit:

Kern isn't the point anyhow...the point is that this is yet another example of Hillis playing his way onto the sidelines...regardless of whether a TD was scored or not

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM

Mike Bell is killing for the Saints right now ... 263 yards, 4.4 average, and another TD Sunday.

And I love Hillis ... but is he really a short-yardage back? He seems a lot like a 10-pound heavier Buckhalter to me. Hard-runner, never loses yards, and an excellent reciever.

broncolife
10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Everybody liked Hillis last year because of his power running and catching abilities not his special teams play. But it seems everyone is complaining about his special teams play since he really hasnt got a chance on the O besides blocking.4 Attempts in 6 games aint a chance.Even with 4, he got a td and 1st with 2 of his attempts. He looked like our best back in preseason.I dont know if hes the answer to our short game, but I would like to see some of his punishing runs again. With Buck and Moreno spliting carries I dont know if its possible to get Hillis any carries.But even with Buck out I dont remember Hillis getting any carries. So there goes that theory.

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2009, 04:08 PM
If he screwed it up, don't put him in special teams.

But, he needs to be there in 3rd/4th and short situations.

He can't play in short situations
He can't return kicks
and he can't play special teams

WTF...put him where?

DHallblows
10-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Yeah, like Buff already said: You're saying Hillis could run for 87.7 ypg for New Orleans while sharing carries with 2 other RBs? Sweet! So we shouldn't try to make him play FB or special teams? Because that's why Mike Bell left Denver initially...

Archer81
10-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm sure the 10 other guys on special teams on the Sproles return depend on Hillis to make every tackle...

:Broncos:

go_broncos
10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
He can't play in short situations
He can't return kicks
and he can't play special teams

WTF...put him where?

Hillis is better than Buck, Moreno and Jordan in short yardage situations.

FireFly
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
career rushing: 343 yards

hillis is the first bronco rb to have more threads than yards.

rofl!

LongDongJohnson
10-20-2009, 05:44 PM
time to cut him

Popps
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Again, I don't want to beat this into the ground... but we talked about this a little in the off-season. A "source" told me that he was having a lot of trouble with the playbook and a subsequent scouting report I read from college said he wasn't always a very coachable guy. Seems counterintuitive to what we used to see from him, but at this stage... with a great offensive coach, you have to wonder.

I didn't want to buy into it when someone slipped me that info. Thought it was sort of BS, but at this point... what else can you think? Hillis has crazy physical skills and we just don't utilize them. Clearly, something isn't going well behind the scenes with regards to him picking all of this up.

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 06:38 PM
A "source," eh?

Atwater His Ass
10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Hillis is better than Buck, Moreno and Jordan in short yardage situations.

McDaniels disagrees with you.

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2009, 06:53 PM

... and he's now ripping it up for the Saints, which is kind of weird.

Dean
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Here is the video on Sproles' return for TD. It looks like the blame goes further than just Hillis. Look for yourself and make your own call.

http://vodpod.com/watch/2365660-nfl-videos-wk-6-sproles-punt-return-for-td-week-6-2009

cutthemdown
10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Is that Hillis on the outside? Then yes mostly his fault. His job is to set the edge, not give up the sideline. He takes in inside technique on the 2 blockers trying to make some spectacular play? His job would be to not try and go inside on them but to try to force the returner to go inside of him.

Looks like from my standpoint he never thought about not letting the returner go outside of him, which he should have.

BroncoBuff
10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
He had two blockers on him ... tough to fault the guy who's double-teamed.

Bruton and Barrett are a nice tandem ... I see both those guys on like every special teams play

Bronco Yoda
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Hillis the afterthought.

Captain 'Dre
12-19-2009, 06:30 PM
How can anyone NOT post in a thread with a name like THIS one has?!? Ha!

rastaman
12-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Only problem with all that is if Orton feels the need to audible into something else Hillis won't know where to lineup, if we want to go play action Hillis won't know his blocking assignments, and at this point he's made himself look questionable at actually hanging onto the football.

Hillis is behind behind the power curve knowing all the audibles and assignments with the first team offense due to the fact during training camp and the preseason, McD had him taking more snaps with the special teams than with the first team offense.

Guy needs to take the bye and get his head right, then come back in two weeks ready to ball. If he could turn the page and be a combination short yardage beast and Kevin Faulk type receiving threat out of the backfield our offense would have a chance to be truly elite.

I think Hillis needs consistent repetition with the first team offense to be effective and an impact contributor. With C-Buck hurting and Moreno looking like he's hit that invisible rookie wall and looking worn down at times, over the next 3 games Hillis has the opportinuties to at least take over the carries from C-Buck and even spell Moreno at times as well, since Peyton is the fresher and healhiest of all our RB's right now. Besides, I'd like to see/have a relatively well Moreno for the playoffs.