PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half adjustments

Gort
10-19-2009, 10:19 PM
only 10 2nd half points allowed so far this year. that's good halftime coaching.

points allowed to opponents in 2009

1st half 2nd half
CIN 0 7
OAK 6 0
CLE 3 0
DAL 10 0
NE 17 0
SD 20 3

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Opponent second half third down conversions: 2 for 33. That is unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

The key tonight from an X's and O's perspective was the change-up in the blitzing to delayed blitzes from conventional blitzes and double A-gap blitzes from corner blitzes.

R8R H8R
10-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Opponent second half third down conversions: 2 for 33. That is unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

The key tonight from an X's and O's perspective was the change-up in the blitzing to delayed blitzes from conventional blitzes and double A-gap blitzes from corner blitzes.

Didn't SD convert one 3rd down conversion? That is total dominance folks, and really the most impressive statistic next to 6-0!

BroncoMan4ever
10-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Didn't SD convert one 3rd down conversion? That is total dominance folks, and really the most impressive statistic next to 6-0!

as impressive as that is, the total points allowed in the 2nd half is even more impressive. we went into halftime down 20-17 and all i could think was, well this game is over, because our defense isn't going to give them a damn thing the rest of the game.

sisterhellfyre
10-19-2009, 10:43 PM

(It came from the PI penalty on Andre Goodman.)

Broncos4tw
10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
What's funny is that in reality, teams have very little time to "adjust" or make changes during halftime. They have around 12 minutes. Enough time to take a piss, get a drink, and listen to a few minutes of wisdom about what to expect on the second half. I think they adjust throughout the game. And I think it's some very fast thinking and planning on Nolan's part.

Also, I think our D is rather furious this year. Pursuit, hitting, and just plain tenacity, they wear on teams. By the third and fourth quarter, we are wearing the hell out of teams.

I like it.

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I told Oskie that I would take down by three at the half on the road against the Chargers - especially for our team seems to play in the second half.

KevinJames
10-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I don't know what it is but we seem to play like we drank some of that stuff that Michael Jordan gives the loony tunes at halftime in the movie space jam

baja
10-19-2009, 10:55 PM
I shoulda bet

azbroncfan
10-19-2009, 11:17 PM
All I know is there is some quality coaching going on in Denver. I can't even dream up the stuff that MCD and Nolan have done. I love the super conservative first halfs and make adjustments and win the ball game attitudes that is in the mile high city now. It is clear to me now why Bowlen is a multimillionaire and most bronco fans don't have any clout on ripping on the guy.

Cleo McDowell
10-19-2009, 11:29 PM
I shoulda bet

yessir you shouldve. even though i make it a point to never bet with my heart, this was one of the VERY few instances that i went for it (other being the Den v NE playoff game).. 1K richer this afternoon and knew it all along!;D

R8R H8R
10-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I just heard on the radio that Orton had a 143 passing rating in the 2nd half tonight. Not verified, but probably true because I think he was 11-14 and had 2 td's and obviously no int.'s.

If you don't appreciate this guy by now, I don't know what to tell you, because the guy is money. I like him and I'm glad he's our QB.

Mediator12
10-19-2009, 11:39 PM
What makes this so sweet, is that the coaches have the confidence in the players executing their assignments every play. They do not have to back off fearing that someone will screw up and cause a big play. In fact, down the stretch, they kept bringing it and wound up getting Rivers for a career high 5 sacks! They kept bringing it after the PI call that set them up in great position to take the lead. They kept on trusting the players even when things were not perfect or seemingly going their way.

That trust let the players have confidence that they WOULD stop them and make them pay while doing it. The defense just seems to get better as the game goes on. It's just awesome!

HAT
10-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Denver would be like 12-0 so far with Cutler & Shanahan.

fdf
10-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Would you have Shanahan at OT or Safety?

azbroncfan
10-19-2009, 11:47 PM
What makes this so sweet, is that the coaches have the confidence in the players executing their assignments every play. They do not have to back off fearing that someone will screw up and cause a big play. In fact, down the stretch, they kept bringing it and wound up getting Rivers for a career high 5 sacks! They kept bringing it after the PI call that set them up in great position to take the lead. They kept on trusting the players even when things were not perfect or seemingly going their way.

That trust let the players have confidence that they WOULD stop them and make them pay while doing it. The defense just seems to get better as the game goes on. It's just awesome!

I don't need to tell you Med but I'll say it anyway the coaching this year is the best in 10 years plus in the city of Denver. MCD is the real deal and you called it.

R8R H8R
10-19-2009, 11:48 PM

Trust, that's a great way to put it. The proof is the fact that Nolan kept blitzing and putting the pressure on rivers on that final drive when most DC's would go into a passive mode, or prevent, just to make them take time off the clock.

broncocalijohn
10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
This team adjust just like Pete Carroll's SC team. I have watched that team now for almost the whole decade and I am amazed what a coaching staff can do in 15 to 20 minutes. This team is just plain awesome. That critique for the whole week and then when they need to tweek it, they do it in 15 minutes at halftime. AMAZING!

enjolras
10-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Is it just adjustments, tho?

I think this team is simply better conditioned and better prepared than every opponent they've faced. They run them down. The beat on them. They wear them down. There is a reason Dumervil is so effective in the 4th quarter...

Hell 5 of 6 opponents have simply lost the will to compete in the fourth quarter. This team just physically pounds them into submission. Sure they adjust at half time, but I think ultimately they have been physically dominating teams (with the exception of the Patriots who competed the entire 60 minutes). That's really cool. It's nice to see the hard-nosed approach McDaniels employed during training camp really paying off now.

broncocalijohn
10-20-2009, 01:28 AM

dont worry. Jason whitlock says we have blown our chances to make the superbowl without Cutler. Plus, 15-0.

broncocalijohn
10-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Is it just adjustments, tho?

I think this team is simply better conditioned and better prepared than every opponent they've faced. They run them down. The beat on them. They wear them down. There is a reason Dumervil is so effective in the 4th quarter...

Hell 5 of 6 opponents have simply lost the will to compete in the fourth quarter. This team just physically pounds them into submission. Sure they adjust at half time, but I think ultimately they have been physically dominating teams (with the exception of the Patriots who competed the entire 60 minutes). That's really cool. It's nice to see the hard-nosed approach McDaniels employed during training camp really paying off now.

u cant say the will to win in the 4th Q when only the Raiders and Browns game started to get out of hand. This team knows what to do differently when they step on the field in the 3rd quarter. Not just on Defense but offense. Orton has the best QB rating of all QBs in the 4th quarter. Brady, Brees, Mannings and all dont touch Orton in that respect.