PDA

View Full Version : Does Champ Shadow Jackson?

ludo21
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
The Chargers dont really have any other options other than Gates (I think WWIII can do fine on him, ala Witten)

So do we let Champ go 1 on 1 all game with Jackson and make Rivers go to his other WR's who really are no threat..

dbfan21
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
The Chargers dont really have any other options other than Gates (I think WWIII can do fine on him, ala Witten)

So do we let Champ go 1 on 1 all game with Jackson and make Rivers go to his other WR's who really are no threat..

I don't know. I mean, could WWIII hang with Gates all game? I am not so sure about that. I think Hill is a pretty capable CB and could split duty with Champ on covering Jackson. I still think SD has some pretty good weapons on O, such as Chambers (who has given us fits in the past) and Sproles out of the backfield.

gtown
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Doesn't Champ cover only cover the strongside? I could have sworn that he has, and will always be a left cornerback.

uplink
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
wonder how they will handle Gates, wonder if Barrett will be used some to cover him.

PRBronco
10-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Doesn't Champ cover only cover the strongside? I could have sworn that he has, and will always be a left cornerback.

Yeah I don't see Champ moving. You know those old 30 year olds, so set in their ways.

I just realized this could be taken as sarcasm, it's not though, don't worry, Champ loves him some left corner. I think he might be like Zoolander, and only able to cover in one direction :clown:

kappys
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Philip Rivers is the key. Vincent Jackson is a good receiver no doubt but he's not like a TO, Moss, B-marsh or receiver that will devastate you after making the catch. Rivers delivers his passes including his deep balls with unreal accuracy that few corners can defend. If we can pressure him into quick releases and tackle solidly I think we can shut down their offense

crush17
10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Champ stays on one side of the field and he will continue to do so.

Beantown Bronco
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
The only game I can ever remember Champ shadowing a guy all over the field was in New England last year against Moss. And considering they didn't choose to go that route this year against Moss, I doubt they'll do it this game against Jackson. My guess is that he'll stick to the defensive left side where he is 99% of the time.

OBF1
10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
I do not know about the rest of you, but Sproles scares me big time. We need to get pressure on phyllis or it will be a long night.

bronco militia
10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/elviscam.gif

BigPlayShay
Neither of our corners leave their side of the field. Champ stays Left, Goodman stays right.

PRBronco
I do not know about the rest of you, but Sproles scares me big time. We need to get pressure on phyllis or it will be a long night.

Ditto, Choice was scaring me on those screen passes against the Cowboys, and Sproles is twice as shifty.

And don't even get me started on kicking the ball to him :S Needless to say, I will be clenched.

BroncoFiend
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM

It's good to see Drew writing positive Bronco cartoons.

cutthemdown
10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Champ will play the left side like he always does.

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Agree with everything already said. The few times he's shadowed a player it's been the tight end. I think we just try to play Jackson straight up and try and fluster Rivers. I'm personally more worried about Sproles and Gates than Jackson.

Rock Chalk
10-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Ahh Drew, ye who makes me laugh every week.

lander
10-19-2009, 01:37 PM

No threat? I would disagree. Watch out for Malcom Floyd. He is every bit the deep threat that Jackson is, just not as physical. But he has the best hands on the team.

We also have Chambers and Nanee, both of whom are quite capable of making big plays.

gyldenlove
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Absolutely, Champ don't change sides for no man.

gyldenlove
10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Agree with everything already said. The few times he's shadowed a player it's been the tight end. I think we just try to play Jackson straight up and try and fluster Rivers. I'm personally more worried about Sproles and Gates than Jackson.

That is how we shut down Randy Moss who is better than Jackson. I don't think we focus particularly on Gates, I think we are going to cover the way we cover and try to get to Rivers to keep Gates or another TE blocking and take away his targets that way.

BroncoBuff
10-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Remember he shadowed Tony Gonzales in the '04 home opener?

That worked out pretty well ... but that was Larry Coyer of course.

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Remember he shadowed Tony Gonzales in the '04 home opener?

That worked out pretty well ... but that was Larry Coyer of course.

Right. Nolan's pretty creative, but he tends to try and get players to just beat the man in front of them. He doesn't run a very gadgety defensive scheme.

Los Broncos
10-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Hilarious! Awesome!

gunns
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Ditto, Choice was scaring me on those screen passes against the Cowboys, and Sproles is twice as shifty.

And don't even get me started on kicking the ball to him :S Needless to say, I will be clenched.

I'm already clenched. But I have faith the coaches will be watching what Pitt did as far as Sproles. He's going to get return yards, let's just limit them.

Cito Pelon
10-19-2009, 02:40 PM

I don't worry about it too much. As long as the D players keep their assignments and don't overpursue they'll limit the big plays, same as they've done all season. SD will get some big plays in the passing game, they're not a bunch of scrubs, the object is keep those big plays short of the endzone.

As long as the D does what they've done all year, keep their assignments then swarm to the ball-carrier and make good open field tackles, they'll be fine. Obviously, good open field tackling is a key to success.

ColoradoBuff
10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
let's go DONKS!

Bronco Warrior
10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Phyllis Rivers is one of the QBs that is stupid enough to throw at Champ! Look for Champ to get atleast one pick and a 6! Sproles won't get any YAC, our LBs and Dawk are too fast and tackle too well! Sproles breaking crappy tackles is the only reason he has done damage to us! Screens and sweeps haven't worked for big yards all year against us! How many yards did Cribbs get?

lander
10-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Malcolm Floyd. I called it.

mwill07
10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
BTW: Champ has been moving around today...he seems to be following VJax (except for the TD).

First time I've ever noticed Champ on the right side.

Beantown Bronco
10-20-2009, 07:05 AM
BTW: Champ has been moving around today...he seems to be following VJax (except for the TD).

First time I've ever noticed Champ on the right side.

Yup, looks like a lot of us guessed incorrectly.