PDA

View Full Version : [article] Timely Broncos play reaction game

OOJack
10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, does Burger Bill know something I don't? Why would we zone in on their passing defense, when they are without Jaamal Williams and have a weak ass front seven in general. I'm sick of him writing for the West...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/5266/timely-broncos-play-reaction-game

Timely Broncos play reaction game

October 17, 2009 5:57 PM

Kyle Terada/US Presswire
The Denver Broncos are buying what coach Josh McDaniels is selling.

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

The Denver Broncos can’t wait to show up to work each Wednesday to see what’s in store. Under first-year coach Josh McDaniels, every work week in the Rocky Mountains is different.

“We show up for work on Wednesday and McDaniels has something new for us,” defensive tackle Ronald Fields said. “We focus on the opponents more than any other team I’ve been involved in. The details of the opponent are magnified. In the meeting room, we hit the tendencies hard and then on the practice field, we get right after game situations and every Sunday, we feel like we’re going to know what is going to happen. When Sundays show up, we feel like we’re in pretty good shape.”

The culmination of Denver’s work week this time around is "Monday Night Football." The 5-0 Broncos, the surprise of the NFL this season, visit San Diego. The Chargers, 2-2, are in danger of falling 3.5 games behind the Broncos in the AFC West.

The Chargers’ challenge will be to outfox Denver and its 33-year-old wonder boy, who is the early favorite for the NFL Coach of the Year award.

McDaniels has not only received praise from outside of the organization; his players are raving about the way he has taken charge. Future Hall of Fame cornerback Champ Bailey recently said he has never been so prepared by a coach as he has by McDaniels.

Added Fields: “McDaniels brings it to a new level.”

McDaniels’ plan usually focuses on his opponent’s weaknesses with their style changing to exploit the problems of the opponent. The work week is focused on what can beat that individual opponent.

Against New England, McDaniels revealed the Wildcat offense because the Patriots had trouble with it in the past. Against Dallas, Denver exploited holes in the Cowboys' offensive line with constant blitzing. Against Oakland, the Broncos concentrated on having a strong second half because the Raiders came back late in their first two games.

As the situation goes, so goes McDaniels’ game plan.

“It’s different every week,” Denver linebacker Andra Davis said. “It changes as we go.”

On Monday night, watch for Denver to attack San Diego’s troubled pass defense and stack against the Chargers’ passing offense because their run offense is ranked last in the NFL.

Denver’s success cannot be argued. The Broncos have made the right calls and the big plays, both on offense and on defense, all season. Denver’s wins over Cincinnati, Dallas and New England all came in the final seconds of the game. Both sides of the ball are playing mistake-free football when it counts.

Denver hasn’t been perfect throughout games, but that is part of McDaniels’ preparation. Problems are corrected as the team goes.

“You have to fix your own problems in the game and Coach has made us all accountable for it,” Davis said. “Too many ‘my bads’ are going to cause you to end up [in] the ‘L’ column.”

In the past two games, Denver has fallen behind 10-0 in the first quarter. In both games, however, the Broncos completely controlled the game in the second half.

Denver is outscoring its opponents 59-7 in the second half. In the past four games, the Broncos have not allowed any points in the second half. In the past three games, according to ESPN’s Stats & Information, Denver did not allow a third-down conversion in the second half. Denver’s opponents are 2-of-31 on third down in the second half.

This team doesn’t look like a fluke, thanks to its timely play, excellent second-half adjustments and balanced performance on both sides of the ball. It gave the powerhouse Patriots everything they could handle before making one more key play than New England when it counted.

The Broncos aren’t going anywhere. But they aren’t celebrating yet. They are just showing up on Wednesdays, ready to execute McDaniels’ unique plan.

“This team, we are not taking things for granted,” safety Brian Dawkins said. “We are 5-0 and that is great, but the most important game for us is this next one. That is what we need to [do]: Approach every game the same way and put the same amount of detail into every game. If we continue to do that, continue to detail our work, continue to believe in what the coaches are telling us when we are in this position, then we have the potential to do what we need to do.”

Man-Goblin
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I really like this article. What a stark contrast to Shanahan's philosophy (not a bad thing, just saying).

Shanahan would get guys he thought could run his system; thought being it was a superior system and if executed properly the team would succeed.

It seems like the new regime looks for players versatile and smart enough to adjust to anything on the fly. Intuitively, it makes so much sense. How can you prepare adequately for a team that changes its look every week?

So far, it sure is working.

thumpc
10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Shanny, God bless him, did not emphasize intelligence in his personnel so much.

watermock
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
McDaniels’ plan usually focuses on his opponent’s weaknesses with their style changing to exploit the problems of the opponent. The work week is focused on what can beat that individual opponent.

Isn't that illegal?

SportinOne
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Shanahan's system worked for a long time. It could still work. But this way, I think, puts you in the position to win any game you play. Shanahan's system didn't change as much, and against certain teams we were useless.

On the topic of the Chargers, I will say this: If we fall ten points down going into the half again, we don't win this game. We aren't at home, and you can't keep living on the edge forever. I disagree with whomever said Woodyard can cover Gates. I will believe that when I see it, but hopefully I don't see it attempted. This is where it would help to have a guy like the Patriots have, McGowen (sp?). Small enough to be quick but big enough to make the hits. Maybe Dawkins could put the fear in him early.

Stop the run, and the only thing they can do is run screens. Stop the run and the screen and we win.

Irish Stout
10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Shanahan's system worked for a long time. It could still work. But this way, I think, puts you in the position to win any game you play. Shanahan's system didn't change as much, and against certain teams we were useless.

After being blown out a couple times in the playoffs against the Colts, wasn't Shanny's only design with this team to be able to beat the Colts?

Bronco Warrior
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
The Chargers are gonna wonder what the hell hit them! McDaniels is going to give them the "Shocker" Two for the Pink "Phyllis and LaDesha T"" and one in the stink.. That 'efense!

listopencil
10-19-2009, 05:43 PM
"Against Oakland, the Broncos concentrated on having a strong second half because the Raiders came back late in their first two games."

That's odd.

baja
10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
This is what I'm sayin!

Added Fields: “McDaniels brings it to a new level.”