PDA

View Full Version : Chargers defense will outplay Denvers

cutthemdown
10-17-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-16/week-6-ten-bold-predictions

4. Chargers D will outplay Broncos D

In a remarkable reversal of fortunes, Denver's defense, horrid a year ago and in the middle of a transition to a 3-4 defense, ranks in the top 5 in the NFL in every major category, while the formerly stout Bolts flounder in the same rankings.

That will change this week in Monday night's big AFC West divisional matchup. The Chargers are allowing over 150 rushing yards per game and need to stop the run. They haven't fared much better against the pass, so look for San Diego to play with more urgency, and go to more of a hybrid look on defense (as opposed to their traditional 3-4) that will allow them to mix in more blitz calls, even on run downs.

On the other side of the ball, the Broncos safeties could be exposed by TE Antonio Gates, who is a dangerous threat on the seam, and the height advantage enjoyed by the Chargers receivers could yield some big plays downfield in this one. Philip Rivers could actually be the difference in this battle of defenses.

YA hear that Broncos!!!! No respect. The Chargers don't respect ya, the NFL doesn't respect ya, hell even some of your own fans think you are a fluke!!!!!

Go out and kick some ass baby!!!! There is only one Superbowl winner playing monday night. Respect taken is sweeter then respect given.

broncocalijohn
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Ive said it once and I will say it again. If we are going to lose this game, it will be because Rivers got to our defense. I see our offense able to score the 17 to 23 points but will that be enough to stop Rivers? Pressure him into making uncharacteristic bad decisions and we have this game. Nice to have a chance at them in SD.

AZBroncomaniac
10-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Considering what the Chargers have done to the Broncos the past several years, I can see why many sportswriters and Denver fans remain skeptical of the Broncos' chances Monday night. That being said, if McDaniels has the team ready to compete on both sides of the ball, and win this game, the national media may be all over the Broncos' bandwagon. I personally think that this is McDaniels' final true test. Nothing like changing a losing culture to a team within the division, especially on the road.

JJJ
10-18-2009, 12:39 AM
This is one of those games where the outcome is really difficult to predict. It really could be like the SF-ATL game last week, for either side, or it could be a tight one. Two teams seemingly heading in different directions, but under the lights of Monday and the hometown crowd should be a boost to the Bolts and so you have to give them the intangibles. Special teams could rule the day.

boltaneer
10-18-2009, 12:49 AM
I haven't heard anything about the Chargers going with hybrid looks. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

But that blurb makes no sense. The Chargers D will outplay the Broncos D just because they're going to go with a hybrid look?

Who writes this stuff? Can I be a sports writer too?

Killericon
10-18-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't disagree with the assertion that Gates will be a HUGE problem for Hill and Dawkins.

KipCorrington25
10-18-2009, 12:55 AM
We want the "experts" to hate us, this is perfect.

BroncoMan4ever
10-18-2009, 01:03 AM
We want the "experts" to hate us, this is perfect.

i don't mind that one bit. let the so called experts hate on us all the way to the super bowl.(not saying we are going to the super bowl) just saying if we go that far, let these idiots be haters until they have no choice but to either jump on the bandwagon like they always tend to do with winners or eat crow.

Bronco Yoda
10-18-2009, 01:26 AM
we are going to kick their ass. I'm talking 20 points. Mark it down.

boltaneer
10-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Well, I could really care less who the "experts" pick. Their opinion has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

It doesn't matter about "disrespect". The better team will win.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-18-2009, 01:43 AM
You can't polish a turd.

ZONA
10-18-2009, 02:01 AM
It's very hard for teams to just turn it on. I doubt the Chargers even know where the light switch is right now.

Broncos 27
Chargers 20

cutthemdown
10-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Well, I could really care less who the "experts" pick. Their opinion has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the game.

It doesn't matter about "disrespect". The better team will win.

Don't lie you know expect Chargers to kick some ass this weekend just like they always do to Broncos.

You say you don't care about what experts say, I'm not surprised since every yr they are all over your teams nuts.

Wait until you get clowned, laughed at, disrespected, made fun of, doubted without having even played a game yet. Trust me it will piss you off.

boltaneer
10-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Don't lie you know expect Chargers to kick some ass this weekend just like they always do to Broncos.

You say you don't care about what experts say, I'm not surprised since every yr they are all over your teams nuts.

Wait until you get clowned, laughed at, disrespected, made fun of, doubted without having even played a game yet. Trust me it will piss you off.

Well, to be honest the Chargers seem to play better when they're being "disrespected" so if I had to choose, I'd rather have all the experts clowning the Chargers.

The vibe I'm getting from the "experts" is that while a lot of them are picking the Chargers, they're not really confident in that pick. They're picking SD just because they have to win and despite the fact that they think Denver is the better team.

There are only probably three or four "experts" whose opinions I really respect. I could care less what the other 99% think.

I posted in the "just curious" thread about how I have no idea how this game will turn out. No lying here.

Krisrik07
10-18-2009, 04:07 AM
Why does everyone say "I could care less"? If that is the case, why dont you? For me, I couldn't care less.

errand
10-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Classic case of loading up to stop run which means you'll see alot of Marshall, Stokely, and Royal in man coverage. Hmmmmmmmm....

Only the fact that the Broncos historically are the only AFC West team with losing record on MNF, and that it's compounded by the game being on road, makes me a little apprehensive about it. But, this year has been one that has seen the Broncos overcome alot of obstacles so far....and we've been playing well to date...so Broncos in another close one 23-20.

errand
10-18-2009, 04:59 AM
There are only probably three or four "experts" whose opinions I really respect. I could care less what the other 99% think.

Really?

So pray tell, who are the other guys besides me that you respect?

TotallyScrewed
10-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Classic case of loading up to stop run which means you'll see alot of Marshall, Stokely, and Royal in man coverage. Hmmmmmmmm....

Only the fact that the Broncos historically are the only AFC West team with losing record on MNF, and that it's compounded by the game being on road, makes me a little apprehensive about it. But, this year has been one that has seen the Broncos overcome alot of obstacles so far....and we've been playing well to date...so Broncos in another close one 23-20.

The Broncos offense is also doing a lot of things well. Heck, even a whole new wrinkle (Wild horses) worked well against a fairly good defense in New England. I don't see how San Diego can just decide they're going to take away one thing or one player and win. I don't see this as a scheme adjustment. They're going to have to man up at all positions and win both lines. They really haven't done that so far. I'm not saying they won't but how can you be way positive about that outcome?

Denver on the other hand has to keep on keeping on. Not a great leap of faith to think they might do that. I think the biggest thing people look at is that Denver wasn't expected to do anything and how long could a team with such expectations go undefeated?

I've had a hard time changing my expectations too.

Let's GO Broncos!!

Ramathorn
10-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Please for the love of god, lets beat the chargers. I think I hate them more than the raiders, cause of rivers.

Bronco Warrior
10-18-2009, 07:16 AM
An Hour after the Game Phillis, Merri, and Crowmelenie will be in drag down by the docks locking for a way to ease the pain of the ass pounding they got on TV with an Ass pounding they are about to get, Sailor Style!!

Paladin
10-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Well...........maybe......

Bronco Warrior
10-18-2009, 07:24 AM
The Chargers got nothing for us! They can't run on anybody, And Jackson is no Moss, and Gates in no Witten, and we have shut down every TE we've faced so far! Did I mention that The Charges are Last in Run defense and we got part two of the dynamic Duo back to make it even worse for them!!

_Oro_
10-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Anyway it's tough to win games with a crap rush D. Just ask us about that last year.

baja
10-18-2009, 07:44 AM
we are going to kick their ass. I'm talking 20 points. Mark it down.

OK done.

baja
10-18-2009, 07:46 AM
OK done.

PS I think you are right the difference maker will be heart We will put a woop ass on this soft team and take away their will to be on the field with us.

Bronco Warrior
10-18-2009, 08:15 AM
We can't let up like the Steelers did or we did in Cinsi! We need to Step on there necks and twist the cleats!! Zero second Half Points!!!

Rohirrim
10-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Sporting News? Now I know we're going to win. ;D

cutthemdown
10-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Sporting News? Now I know we're going to win. ;D

LOL it's actually just an offshoot of profooballtalk.com.

I just knew everyone here would love it!!! I had to post it.

Your right though it's not like it pro football weekly

gunns
10-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Urgency can often turn to panic...which can lead to mistakes. If that happens to the Chargers, they are done. I was worried that we would get total respect this week, I'm glad we haven't. But if the Chargers don't believe in us, they will lose.

Bronco Warrior
10-18-2009, 08:45 AM
How do you think the CHARGES will handle a breakout-ed Royal and Marshal and Moreno and the return of Buckhalter...with Stokely and Sheffler and Graham thrown in for good measure? And our Dominant O Line? We get up and step on their sack!!

gunns
10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
We can't let up like the Steelers did or we did in Cinsi! We need to Step on there necks and twist the cleats!! Zero second Half Points!!!

I don't believe we will let up like the Steelers. This team has been making excellent second half adjustments. I think if there is a let up, it will be on the Chargers. If they get ahead like most of the teams we have played they will get that "cocky Rivers style" and we will do a "Patriots" on them.

JCMElway
10-18-2009, 08:48 AM

You just described the first 40 years of the Charger's existence.

TheReverend
10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
I have absolutely no idea how Nolan plans to cover Gates.

If he finds a way, we win big, and he deserves another heaping of credit.

The Lone Bolt
10-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Please for the love of god, lets beat the chargers. I think I hate them more than the raiders, cause of rivers.

I don't blame you. Phillip owns you guys.:wiggle:

broncocalijohn
10-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Why does everyone say "I could care less"? If that is the case, why dont you? For me, I couldn't care less.

i believe you because it took you a year and a half to make one post. Cant wait until March of 2011.

Bronx33
10-18-2009, 02:08 PM
I haven't heard anything about the Chargers going with hybrid looks. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

But that blurb makes no sense. The Chargers D will outplay the Broncos D just because they're going to go with a hybrid look?

Who writes this stuff? Can I be a sports writer too?

That caught my eye as well it seems the writer has an axe to grind or hes in over his head and don't know shyt.

BroncoBuff
10-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I can't see how the SD offensive line will be any more successful against our pass rush than Dallas was, or any other O-line we've faced for that matter. ???

Bronx33
10-18-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't blame you. Phillip owns you guys.:wiggle:

This game worries you huh....

rbackfactory80
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I am a little uncomfortable with giving up early touchdowns the last few weeks. If we let them get going they will present a huge challenge. If there is anything I learned today it is be ready for the early storm. The Giants got punched in the face early and never woke up and the Ravens took the initial punch, outplayed the Vikes down the stretch and still loss. If we can take their opening punch, which will be a firm one, we have a chance. Our record five and 0, division hate, and Monday night at their house is going to make the initial blow that much stronger. We win this game we are more then a contender in the AFC.

Bronco Warrior
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
SD will not be able to stop our ground game and we will control the time of possesion, and score! PHyllis will be ppe pee and poo pooing his depends with our swarming Defense. Covering Gates with DJ..faster than Gates and safty help will make him a none factor like Witten. Gates will be blocking more than he likes too...he doesn't do it well!

cabronco
10-18-2009, 02:55 PM
The Chuggers have kicked our tails in San Diego the last couple years, its time to turn that around. The only concern to me is their special teams are pretty good, where were still trying to establish an identity. We get to Rivers or even pressure him, then I like our chances.

maher_tyler
10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
It's very hard for teams to just turn it on. I doubt the Chargers even know where the light switch is right now.

Broncos 27
Chargers 20

It's on Merriman's arm...and the lights are out!

Bronx33
10-18-2009, 02:59 PM
It's on Merriman's arm...and the lights are out!

I think it turns off the lights in his head.

Garcia Bronco
10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
They'll outplay us in all 3 phases. I don't see the need to point out a particular one.

NFLBRONCO
10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Face it this game is HUGE for SD they can't afford to fall 3 behind us. I'll be interested how we handle ourselves in this game.

Bronx33
10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Face it this game is HUGE for SD they can't afford to fall 3 behind us.

Thats why i want the broncos to beat them into submission ending their season early would be huge.

Merlin
10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
We lose by 27

mhgaffney
10-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I am sick of the predictions.

Time to play ball.

Kaylore
10-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I'll say just say this. Shanahan regularly would play the chargers and would say "I didn't have the team prepared to play today. That's on me." after getting destroyed.

McDaniels will not be making the same comment at a podium Monday night. Not predicting an outcome, just saying we'll be ready this time. The Chargers better be too because the difference between this team and last years' is staggering.

NFLBRONCO
10-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I'll say just say this. Shanahan regularly would play the chargers and would say "I didn't have the team prepared to play today. That's on me." after getting destroyed.

McDaniels will not be making the same comment at a podium Monday night. Not predicting an outcome, just saying we'll be ready this time. The Chargers better be too because the difference between this team and last years' is staggering.

Yep I do love the changes all around. If Denver reduces dumb flags and fumbles we have a solid shot monday night. A hostile environment a team that really needs this game will make it tougher but, as you said, this team is day and night better prepared this year.

rastaman
10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Ive said it once and I will say it again. If we are going to lose this game, it will be because Rivers got to our defense. I see our offense able to score the 17 to 23 points but will that be enough to stop Rivers? Pressure him into making uncharacteristic bad decisions and we have this game. Nice to have a chance at them in SD.

Key to this game is Orton getting help from the RB's converting 3rd and short/inches! If Denver can't convert 3rd downs the Broncos Defense could find themselves in bad field position all night and could get worn down to the point the dam breaks and Rivers is able to exploit a tired Denver Defense.

Btwn Hillis, Buckhalter, Jordan, and Moreno.....someone is going to need to step up and convert 3rd and short/inches.

Denver needs to wear down the Charger Defense and keep the ball out of Rivers hands as much as possible and turn the game into a 28-34 point game for both teams. Orton can't win a shooting match against Rivers

rastaman
10-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Thats why i want the broncos to beat them into submission ending their season early would be huge.

This game is a rivalry so a blow out will be hard to achieve.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-18-2009, 05:30 PM
we will lose badly god is gonna punish the broncos for beating two of the greatest teams to ever play football the cowboys <---AMERICAS TEAM and the patriots <---- the most American team to ever play football now if the broncos were god fearing patriotic american citizens they would not even show up
chargers win by default cause the whole bronco org decided to not show up for the game and play out of guilt for what we did 2 weeks in a row

Archer81
10-18-2009, 05:31 PM
we will lose badly god is gonna punish the broncos for beating two of the greatest teams to ever play football the cowboys <---AMERICAS TEAM and the patriots <---- the most American team to ever play football now if the broncos were god fearing patriotic american citizens they would not even show up
chargers win by default cause the whole bronco org decided to not show up for the game and play out of guilt for what we did 2 weeks in a row

I like your enthusiasm...but good God how did you ever get through English in school?

:Broncos:

Bronx33
10-18-2009, 05:32 PM
This game is a rivalry so a blow out will be hard to achieve.

I can dream cant i!

Los Broncos
10-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Well it looks like were going to get killed, why even watch at this point.

Bronco LB52
10-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Well it looks like were going to get killed, why even watch at this point.

**** work. Go to the game tomorrow, dawg!

Los Broncos
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Sorry just can't swing this year.

Just moved into a new place, money is a little tight.

But believe me, I am dying not being able to go.

broncocalijohn
10-18-2009, 11:27 PM

you going? Broncofan116 and I are leaving the LF area hopefully by 12:30-12:45.

Bronco LB52
10-19-2009, 01:00 AM
you going? Broncofan116 and I are leaving the LF area hopefully by 12:30-12:45.

Yeah, I am going. Where are you setting up shop at the Q?

ZONA
10-19-2009, 01:19 AM
This talk about how a team is cornered and will come out and play great ball because they "can't afford" not to because they will be down 3.5 games to us really makes me laugh. Somebody needs to tell that to the Browns, Titans and Rams because that might help them win a game............NOT. That's all media and locker room BS talk. The Chargers will play just as hard this game as they have in any of their games. They're just not playing well right now, period. The injuries are a bigger problem then most people think. The Chargers can no longer just whip us on talent alone, like they have the past few years. This is a new Broncos team that plays a different kind of ball and nobody is just gonna step all over us.

WoodMan
10-19-2009, 06:43 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-16/week-6-ten-bold-predictions

4. Chargers D will outplay Broncos D

In a remarkable reversal of fortunes, Denver's defense, horrid a year ago and in the middle of a transition to a 3-4 defense, ranks in the top 5 in the NFL in every major category, while the formerly stout Bolts flounder in the same rankings.

That will change this week in Monday night's big AFC West divisional matchup. The Chargers are allowing over 150 rushing yards per game and need to stop the run. They haven't fared much better against the pass, so look for San Diego to play with more urgency, and go to more of a hybrid look on defense (as opposed to their traditional 3-4) that will allow them to mix in more blitz calls, even on run downs.

Lets hope they blitz on running downs. I would love to see Buckhalter and Moreno break off some long runs and for MCD to counter with the screen, or slant routes to Royal or Marshall to get them running free in their backfield.

bronclvr
10-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Well, I'm basking in the glow of 5 and Oh, but I think today is the last day we stay undefeated-hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it-IMO, we are going to be humbled-:spit:

Mediator12
10-19-2009, 10:31 AM
SN has some of the most whacked out analysis on the WEB!

Seriously, DEN has an above average height in the secondary with Bailey being 6'0 and Goodman being 5'11. It is not like we have 2 short CB's and poor coverage safeties. Nolan has schemed around the weaknesses and it willl take some real serious gameplanning and then superb execution to get some downfield passes on this defense.

I mean that and SD's defense misses all kinds of assignments, has been awful in making plays, and surrenders 25.5 points a game on some weak ass offenses like OAK and MIA. Where do they see this defensive turnaround coming from?

I guess it's try and be contrary and if a miracle occurs we will look like geniuses LOL

LonghornBronco
10-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, I'm basking in the glow of 5 and Oh, but I think today is the last day we stay undefeated-hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it-IMO, we are going to be humbled-:spit:

Shame on you non-believer :welcome:

Peoples Champ
10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
its safe to say the Broncos defense outplayed the SD defense, or at least in the 2nd half when it counted.

Merlin
10-20-2009, 07:18 AM
I mean that and SD's defense misses all kinds of assignments, has been awful in making plays, and surrenders 25.5 points a game on some weak ass offenses like OAK and MIA.
Sorry to come late to this party, but you missed the author's point. SD was going to start playing some hybrid D that was going to transform them into world beaters. You just don't understand the brilliance of the writer's mind. Wait until SD's DC reads the article (he obviously was not given a copy this week), he will return SD's D to its former glory.

bronclvr
10-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Shame on you non-believer :welcome:

I know-it's time to eat some Crow, and I must say that it is tasty :welcome:

I guess I have conditioned myself after so many Years of losses and mediocrity that it's a self-defense mechanism-anyway, I am officially wrong (now don't tell my Wife that ;))-

It is a great time to be a Bronco Fan!

ScottXray
10-20-2009, 09:15 AM
This is one of those games where the outcome is really difficult to predict. It really could be like the SF-ATL game last week, for either side, or it could be a tight one. Two teams seemingly heading in different directions, but under the lights of Monday and the hometown crowd should be a boost to the Bolts and so you have to give them the intangibles. Special teams could rule the day.

Nice call. Whod a thunk it that there would be THREE kick returns. Just glad that we got two of em.

Oh...and our second half D rules!