PDA

View Full Version : Balls on the turf - we've got to fix that asap

ZONA
10-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Obviously this team still has room for improvement in all of the phases but they are playing at a high level in every single area........................well except one.

I went back through and watched all the games again yesterday and I've got to say, we are sloppy when it comes to holding onto the damn ball. Orton has been great as far as not throwing INT's but the rest of the team has been quite dreadful at holding onto the ball, both on offense and special teams. Yeah, we've not lost the ball a ton but there have been several times (and I mean several, go back and watch the NE game and I counted 5 times) that we are letting that ball hit the turf. Sometimes the play is called dead (barely) and other times we have recovered our own fumbles. It's actually quite alarming at how often the Broncos are letting the ball bounce around. We desperately need to clean that up asap.

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Obviously this team still has room for improvement in all of the phases but they are playing at a high level in every single area........................well except one.

I went back through and watched all the games again yesterday and I've got to say, we are sloppy when it comes to holding onto the damn ball. Orton has been great as far as not throwing INT's but the rest of the team has been quite dreadful at holding onto the ball, both on offense and special teams. Yeah, we've not lost the ball a ton but there have been several times (and I mean several, go back and watch the NE game and I counted 5 times) that we are letting that ball hit the turf. Sometimes the play is called dead (barely) and other times we have recovered our own fumbles. It's actually quite alarming at how often the Broncos are letting the ball bounce around. We desperately need to clean that up asap.

I mentioned this in another thread, I think it was one that had to do with Moreno. I pointed out that it is just not him putting the ball on the ground, Gaffney and Hillis come to mind as well. It is something that needs to be addressed in practice, hopefully they addressed it prior to this week bc the chuggers love going for the strip and are pretty good at it as well.

Lev Vyvanse
10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
It's mostly Knowshon. After the fumble last game started putting two hands on the ball. He'll learn he's just a rookie.

Lev Vyvanse
10-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, I think it was one that had to do with Moreno. I pointed out that it is just not him putting the ball on the ground, Gaffney and Hillis come to mind as well. It is something that needs to be addressed in practice, hopefully they addressed it prior to this week bc the chuggers love going for the strip and are pretty good at it as well.

Gaffney hasn't fumbled.

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Gaffney hasn't fumbled.

Not in the stat book, he hasn't. Had the play not been blown dead, it woudl've been a COSTLY fumble last week inside our 30?

Lev Vyvanse
10-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Not in the stat book, he hasn't. Had the play not been blown dead, it woudl've been a COSTLY fumble last week inside our 30?

Iím not remembering this for some reason. Remind me why was the play blown dead?

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Forward progress? I think, if I am not mistaken, it was during the 98 yrd drive

Hercules Rockefeller
10-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Forward progress? I think, if I am not mistaken, it was during the 98 yrd drive

That's the drive, I think the fumble was inside the 20 too.

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Lol thanks. I think it was a fumble had it not been blown dead right?
I just remembered that Royal fumbled on the PR but JMFW saved the day, as usual, and scooped it up and picked up some yardage lol.
Anyways, its the whole team, not just Moreno

Lev Vyvanse
10-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Lol thanks. I think it was a fumble had it not been blown dead right?

I just watched the play. The ball did come out but his foward progress had been stopped.

Jekyll15Hyde
10-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Definitely a fumble without the whistle

Lev Vyvanse
10-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Definitely a fumble without the whistle

Yes.

atomicbloke
10-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I just watched the play. The ball did come out but his foward progress had been stopped.

Whats this forward progress rule?

Can someone please explain?

Like, was the play blown dead by mistake like the Hochuli game? or was it legitimate?

PRBronco
10-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I still get pretty tense every time Marshall gets the ball and starts freewheeling with it too :S

ZONA
10-17-2009, 11:30 PM
And Moreno almost lost a 2nd fumble in that game. Well, he did lose it, but lucky that they called it dead or I think Clady recovered it. Yes, Gaffney put the ball on the turf, Royal did also and there was 1 more in there somewhere, I counted 5 in the Pats game. Just sloppy. Yeah we know Moreno is a rookie but the rest of the guys are not, and that still doesn't excuse Moreno from letting that ball pop out as often as it has been. In close game, which we seem to like, we just can't have a bad turnover at the end of the game, it's gonna catch up to us if they don't take better care of the ball.

cutthemdown
10-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Chargers saw all those balls on the turf as well. They will feel they get some chances to jump on loose balls. The will be trying to hold Moreno up and then strip.

AZBroncomaniac
10-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Whats this forward progress rule?

Can someone please explain?

Like, was the play blown dead by mistake like the Hochuli game? or was it legitimate?

Gaffney was going forward with the ball, and he was stopped and held up by Patriot defenders. Refs blew the whistle as Gaffney's forward progress had been stopped, he falls down for an extra couple of yards and the ball is stripped before his knee hits the ground. Since forward progress was stopped, and the whistle was blown, the play was dead at the time the whistle blew.

atomicbloke
10-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Gaffney was going forward with the ball, and he was stopped and held up by Patriot defenders. Refs blew the whistle as Gaffney's forward progress had been stopped, he falls down for an extra couple of yards and the ball is stripped before his knee hits the ground. Since forward progress was stopped, and the whistle was blown, the play was dead at the time the whistle blew.

Thanks.

But by that rule, isn't forward progress stopped every time the ball is fumbled?

Like was this call legitimate or a mistake?

ZONA
10-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Thanks.

But by that rule, isn't forward progress stopped every time the ball is fumbled?

Like was this call legitimate or a mistake?

For real? Do you not ever watch football or something and you've not seen a forward progress called ever? It's not like it's something that is rare. Usually every game has a few forward progress calls.

It's not a blown call. Although my original point was you still don't want to be putting the ball on the ground. In regards to the Gaffney play, it was close. His progress wasn't stopped but for a second before that ball was coming out.

Is forward progress stopped every time the ball is fumbled? No. A guy could be running in the open and just drop the ball without any defenders touching him. It's a live ball. The offensive player has to have possession of the ball before he is stopped (usually for a few seconds) by defenders or is being pushed back. If the ball is already coming lose before they call forward progress, it's a live ball.

Not sure how to explain any better then that.

baja
10-18-2009, 07:29 AM
RE thread title is that like "Tea bagging" ?

Man-Goblin
10-18-2009, 09:49 AM
RE thread title is that like "Tea bagging" ?

That's balls on the chin.

baja
10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
That's balls on the chin.

Now that's gay. ;D

Kaylore
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM
This will be a problem. If it's not corrected we will start losing starting with San Diego, whose whole defense is built on taking the ball away.