PDA

View Full Version : Gaines Adams to Chicago

Conklin
10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
# Filed to ESPN: Tampa Bay traded defensive end Gaines Adams to the Chicago Bears for a 2010 draft pick thought to be a second-round pick.about 1 hour ago from UberTwitter

per Adam Shefter

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

KevinJames
10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
stupid lol why would they do this when they need WRs

now they have 3 or 4 quality DEs, I guess they wanna be like the Giants.

so their first pick is going to be in the third round I guess.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
hahahahaha, the Bears just keep sending picks away, and for what? For a lineman that's never done anything, and a quarterback with a .500 record.

The shine will be off that apple soon.

Florida_Bronco
10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Wow. That's an odd move.

Bronco Boy
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
http://valueacceleration.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lombardi_trophy2.jpg

Br0nc0Buster
10-16-2009, 07:54 PM
oh interesting

Havent heard much from Adams since he got drafted, but he was good in college and is still young

Are the Bears turning into the Redskins?

broncosteven
10-16-2009, 08:00 PM
stupid lol why would they do this when they need WRs

now they have 3 or 4 quality DEs, I guess they wanna be like the Giants.

so their first pick is going to be in the third round I guess.

Johnny Knoxville has been the HIXON of the year for the Bears.

Now that they have a Rook who stepped up as their #1 threat and even returns kicks for TD's they can see that Hester is just a ST'er past his prime who can maybe line up as a 4th or 5th WR in a spread formation.

Their other WR's have made some big catches and Olsen is essenitally their #3 WR.

The assumption that they are desperate for WR's is invalid.

With Urlicker out their D, which was suspect before, is their weak link right now. This D reminds me of the Broncos D in mid 2006 as they slowly faded into crap.

If this guy does anything for them that Darrel Reid did for us it was a good move for them.

iDENVER
10-16-2009, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=broncosteven;2602137]Johnny Knoxville has been the HIXON of the year for the Bears.

u mean johnny knox?

Lev Vyvanse
10-16-2009, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=broncosteven;2602137]Johnny Knoxville has been the HIXON of the year for the Bears.

u mean johnny knox?

You are correcting him with a ****ed up quote. Get your **** together buddy. We all know what he means.

WyoLaw
10-16-2009, 08:23 PM
If this guy does anything for them that Darrel Reid did for us it was a good move for them.

For a second round pick though?

baja
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow I surprised Jay signed off on this move.

TheDave
10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmmmm... Didn't see that one coming.

broncosteven
10-16-2009, 08:25 PM

u mean johnny knox?

Yep I was trying to be funny, hence the HIXON reference.

Kaylore
10-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Gaines Adams was supposed to be the surest thing at DE you get when he was drafted. I'm curious how he'll do.

What's sad is this shows a lot of these teams are basically having a fire sale for their players.

TheDave
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Gaines Adams was supposed to be the surest thing at DE you get when he was drafted. I'm curious how he'll do.

What's sad is this shows a lot of these teams are basically having a fire sale for their players.

Strange... when did the NFL become baseball?

I wonder how much this has to do with the CBA and it's uncertainty?

Lev Vyvanse
10-16-2009, 08:43 PM

Only indirectly. Because of the CBA owners have started to create a war chest. Just look at the amount of available cap space league wide starting just before the last CBA was signed. Now that owners have created that cap space for all teams it opens up all kinds of trading opportunities that were not accessible 5 years ago.

TheDave
10-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Only indirectly. Because of the CBA owners have started to create a war chest. Just look at the amount of available cap space league wide starting just before the last CBA was signed. Now that owners have created that cap space for all teams it opens up all kinds of trading opportunities that were not accessible 5 years ago.

Good point...

Drek
10-16-2009, 08:53 PM

A lot.

More teams than ever before are under the cap. The primary restrictor on trade is that most teams spent pretty near up to the cap and the financial costs of a trade in the NFL (eating bonus money of the player traded and signing a replacement, or receiving a new well paid player and having to cut a guy you might own guaranteed money to) was always the big obstacle.

The lack of a new CBA had a lot of teams playing it financially closer to the vest. The tough economic times only amplified that. Now that we're working out of a recession a lot of GMs have the cap budget to wheel and deal.

Seems like a bad move for Chicago to me. A 2nd and little else probably gets you Braylon Edwards last week. Now its Gaines Adams (pass rusher with only ok production to this point, not aquantifiable upgrade over Anderson).

I guess though, they seem to be running an "all in" strategy this year despite the loss of Urlacher. Probably because they know it'll be tough making the playoffs when they've already lost to the Packers once and the Vikings are looking dominant.

Quick question though. Why are so many people thinking Johnny Knox is some stud WR now? He's looked pretty good as a returner in place of Hester, but everyone knows that is largely because they've just got a really well coached return unit. As a WR he's had one big play against the Packers and some less than impressive overall production when you consider the secondaries they've been facing.

Might not seem so promising when he has to face legit secondaries.

Harvitz81
10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
A 2nd rounder???? Wow, this move reeks of desperation. For Gaines Adams? I know he was the 5th pick in the draft and all, but he hasn't done jack **** since being in the league.

The bears must really think they have to make a move to gain on the Vikings. Funny though, as was pointed out above, they could have easily had Edwards for that pick. Mark Anderson has been much better than Adams to this point as well.

SportinOne
10-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Stats for Dlinemen can be misleading, but let's look at the facts:

Rookie Year: 38 Tackles, 6 Sacks (28th among DEs), 2 Forced Fumbles, 2 Passes Deflected
2nd Year: 38 Tackles, 6.5 Sacks (17th among DE's), 1 Int, 1TD, 6 Passes Deflected
This Year: 10 Tackles, 1 Sack, 2 Passes Deflected

Also, it looks like he's never missed a game due to injury.

Since the Bears use the Tampa 2, it should be a relatively smooth transition. I'm sure that played a part in their decision to make the trade. They basically traded a third round pick for a top 5 talent who has established himself as being, at the very least, an average pass rusher with NFL seasoning. In terms of value, I think it was a great trade. Did they need a DE? I would think linebacker might be more important, or the obvious: Wide Reciever.

This makes me wonder about Morris, though. Was this:

A. A fire sale move

B. A move made because Morris didn't like something about Gaines' character/work ethic. Or,

C. Just plain stupid.

Time will tell.

The MVPlaya
10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
They basically traded a third round pick

WTF? Basically a third round pick? So I guess 1st round picks are now basically 2nd round picks.

Man-Goblin
10-16-2009, 10:02 PM
So if Gaines Adams is worth a 2nd round pick, does that make Vernon Gholston worth a 10th?

SportinOne
10-16-2009, 10:10 PM
WTF? Basically a third round pick? So I guess 1st round picks are now basically 2nd round picks.

2 things:

1. There are conflicted reports, at least that is my understanding. Some are saying 2nd rounder, some are saying 3rd. I would assume a 3rd.

2. When I say basically I am not describing the pick, I am describing what they are trading for. However, the word basically there is pretty redundant.

Just wanted to clear that up.

SportinOne
10-16-2009, 10:13 PM
2 things:

1. There are conflicted reports, at least that is my understanding. Some are saying 2nd rounder, some are saying 3rd. I would assume a 3rd.

2. When I say basically I am not describing the pick, I am describing what they are trading for. However, the word basically there is pretty redundant.

Unless of course the Bears do extremely well. Then a 2nd round pick might as well be a 3rd rounder if it is in the 28 to 32 range.

SportinOne
10-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Unless of course the Bears do extremely well. Then a 2nd round pick might as well be a 3rd rounder if it is in the 28 to 32 range.

That's a good point. You should post more often.

SportinOne
10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
That's a good point. You should post more often.

I'm more of a lurker. I'll jump on a thread or two and really hit it hard for a couple of hours once in a while but I just have so much going on that it's hard to keep up.

UberBroncoMan
10-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm more of a lurker. I'll jump on a thread or two and really hit it hard for a couple of hours once in a while but I just have so much going on that it's hard to keep up.

I'm curious to see how long you talk to yourself... :rofl:

Side note... I don't know why people are downo n Gaines Adams.

6 sacks and 2 INT's last year as a DE on a declining Tampa Bay defense.

6 sacks his rookie year too.

I think it was a good trade by the Bears.

Though... he is an idiot... scored 7 on the wonderlic.

Gcver2ver3
10-16-2009, 10:43 PM
stupid stupid move...

there is no player here in Tampa that gets BASHED more than Adams...

he's absolutely awful...gets swallowed whole by TEs for crying out loud...

and the Bears gave up their lone 1st day pick of the draft for him?...wow...

call the cops, the Bucs have just robbed the Chicago Bears...

Lev Vyvanse
10-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Though... he is an idiot... scored 7 on the wonderlic.

You missed the perfect spot for this pic
http://jojoi.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/combo-breaker-2.jpg

Popps
10-16-2009, 11:00 PM
oh interesting

Havent heard much from Adams since he got drafted, but he was good in college and is still young

Are the Bears turning into the Redskins?

Funny. I just happened to hear some Tampa bay sports radio last week and were ripping on Adams. Basically saying he sucks no matter where he was taken in the draft.

baja
10-16-2009, 11:08 PM

<b>Though... he is an idiot... scored 7 on the wonderlic.

maybe Jay needs a room mate. ;D

Orange_Beard
10-16-2009, 11:16 PM
****, we could have given them Jarvis Moss for less.

Mogulseeker
10-17-2009, 01:10 AM

When you darik alcohl.s, you polst more

PRBronco
10-17-2009, 01:19 AM
****, we could have given them Jarvis Moss for less.

Man, I was just looking at Jamaal Anderson's stats from that draft too. What a bunch of busts :(

Broncosfreak_56
10-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Should have traded that second for Anquan Boldin. Then they would be a scary team.

elsid13
10-17-2009, 05:47 AM
2 things:

It is redundant, but both Brown and Ogunleye are older players and the Bears might be looking for toward the future.

Plus I think this trade says something how "great" Jim Bates is.

The Joker
10-17-2009, 06:14 AM
He's 26 years old, thought he was younger for some reason.

Anyway, 2nd rounder seems steep for a guy who really hasn't done much, but Chicago does need D-Line help and Adams does have plenty of ability. I guess the hope is that Marinelli can be the guy who develops him into a consistant force.

12.5 sacks in his first two years is hardly disgraceful if you take where he was drafted out of the equation.

watermock
10-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Given that he is healthy, and coming into a contract year, I don't see the big deal, especially the fact that Tampa eats the signing bonus.

Tampa's coach is just making a scapegoat IMO.

cutthemdown
10-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Wow so bears have no first day picks next yr.

cutthemdown
10-17-2009, 07:14 AM
and next yr is considered a talented draft. Not good to be sitting it out.

cutthemdown
10-17-2009, 07:15 AM
It is a bummer to not have the 2 firsts next yr, but Smith is a good player I'm glad we have him.

TotallyScrewed
10-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Are you referring to Denver as well??

Drek
10-17-2009, 09:24 AM
It is a bummer to not have the 2 firsts next yr, but Smith is a good player I'm glad we have him.

Smith was a better prospect than what we'll probably see from the entire CB class next year and we got him a season sooner. The FO feeling like they had to find a way to get him makes sense when your starting CBs are both on the wrong side of 30.

BroncoBuff
10-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Weird trade. Braylon would've made a lot more sense.

I disagree about Knox though ... 14 catches in four games, TEN of them first downs, and 2 touchdowns. In just his first 4 games as a rookie. Can't argue with numbers like that.

He's nobody's #1 receiver, but he looks like a solid #2 or #3, and a damn good returner.

Pick Six
10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
A middle linebacker would have made much more sense, if they wanted to focus on the defense. Hillenmeyer is a poor substitute for Urlacher...

broncosteven
10-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Weird trade. Braylon would've made a lot more sense.

I disagree about Knox though ... 14 catches in four games, TEN of them first downs, and 2 touchdowns. In just his first 4 games as a rookie. Can't argue with numbers like that.

He's nobody's #1 receiver, but he looks like a solid #2 or #3, and a damn good returner.

I saw 19 catches on the ESPN website. Actually if you compare him with Marshall their stats are close considering Denver played one extra game.

Knox only had 1 catch vs Seahags but came back with a 6 catch day vs Lions.

I like him because he is a hard worker who is the opposite of Hester, mentally.

He really has a lot of upside and is a nice story for them.

SportinOne
10-17-2009, 11:24 AM
A middle linebacker would have made much more sense, if they wanted to focus on the defense. Hillenmeyer is a poor substitute for Urlacher...

Not to mention he's injured.

broncosteven
10-17-2009, 11:26 AM

HAHAHA, the old "Vote of Confidence" theory! Maybe Lovie learned this from McDaniels!

Hercules Rockefeller
10-17-2009, 11:49 AM

The Bears are looking long-term though, same with the Cutler trade. They've given up picks for 2 guys they think/hope will be still be around 6 or 7 years down the line.