PDA

View Full Version : Pti

SJ Bronco
10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?

Rocket 7
10-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?

Bet they never invite him back. What a tard.

Bronco Warrior
10-16-2009, 02:55 PM
PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!

maher_tyler
10-16-2009, 03:02 PM
PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!

I don't mind him on PTI but i do agree that he was horrible on MNF!

SJ Bronco
10-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Agreed

But they were agreeing with this guy. Then the guy said the NFL will just wither away and die like boxing, even though he is such a big fan...I wish i had a clip..it was stunning

McDman
10-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Kornheiser isn't terrible on PTI, just on MNF.

SJ Bronco
10-16-2009, 03:11 PM
If anyone can tell me the name of the guy they were interviewing today about head injuries, I'd appreciate it

Rocket 7
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
If anyone can tell me the name of the guy they were interviewing today about head injuries, I'd appreciate it

First name Numb last name Nuts

Orange4Life
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Malcom Gladwell. He is not a doctor just he just wrote an article about the subject in the New Yorker.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-16-2009, 03:40 PM
How weird, I really do like Gladwell (especially tipping point and outliers) but i think he's way off base here. Boxing was NEVER EVER EVER the cash cow, cultural phenomenon NFL football is. NFL football is probably the leading source of entertainment in the US today.

Tankgunner95
10-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Sh!t, I wont even let my kids watch GHOSTBUSTERS!!!! :)

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 04:06 PM
With all the new studies coming out that show how bad it is for the brain you do wonder if NFL football lasts another 50 yrs.

Of course not in our lifetimes probably but the world and the USA could be a very different place in 100 yrs.

right now though football ingrained into our schools and culture. I'd say football and sports in general is as important to us as anything.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
****, I wont even let my kids watch GHOSTBUSTERS!!!! :)

If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't want them playing. I wouldn't stop him but it is a brutal sport.

One good friend of mine went on to college. Small school, Clarmont or something like that. He busted up his knee and it bothers him and hinders him now. Another good friend of my brothers broke his ankle and has problems with it.

Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.

SJ Bronco
10-16-2009, 04:11 PM
With all the new studies coming out that show how bad it is for the brain you do wonder if NFL football lasts another 50 yrs.

Of course not in our lifetimes probably but the world and the USA could be a very different place in 100 yrs.

right now though football ingrained into our schools and culture. I'd say football and sports in general is as important to us as anything.

I bet if they took the pads off, it would be a safer sport. Back to leather helmets and foam shoulder pads I say. Maybe if they didn't feel invincible, they'd take better care of themselves.

Tankgunner95
10-16-2009, 04:14 PM
WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.

SJ Bronco
10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.

i played my whole life...oline most of that time...im fine. it's just like education in this country, teach them properly, they are less likely to get hurt. Maybe change the culture of the big hit, and replace it with fundamentals of tackling. I do that with the teams I coach at the HS Level.

Rohirrim
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
The article was pretty eye-opening. A lot of it focused on Turley who is going through a lot of issues from all the concussions he had. What has happened to some of the old ballers is really sad, especially guys like Mike Webster. Football is a brutal sport. It can't be denied. But even Gladwell points out in the article, to talk about the demise of football is foolish. People love to watch it and people love to play it. I'll never forget watching an interview with Dan Hampton who was walking around on two canes. At the end of the interview he was asked if he had to do it all over again, would he still play? His answer was, without any hesitation, absolutely. He loved every minute of it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to come out of that tunnel at Mile High on MNF on the night of a big game, knowing half the world is watching. It must be an overwhelming rush.

Tankgunner95
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
i played my whole life...oline most of that time...im fine. it's just like education in this country, teach them properly, they are less likely to get hurt. Maybe change the culture of the big hit, and replace it with fundamentals of tackling. I do that with the teams I coach at the HS Level.

I agree, coaches play a very important role in preventing injuries!

SportinOne
10-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.

Completely agree. There is more to life than sports, much more. It just so happens that I have a Bronco addiction.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM

I'm just pointing out everyone knows someone who got injured playing football. Hell I had a knee surgery from snow skiing so all sports dangerous.

It does build teamwork and leadership but you can also get those in music IMO which is far less dangerous and more useful later on in life. I know a lot of sucessfull people who still play for fun. I don't know one friend who is still playing football for fun.

Also its proven that music makes brain merge the 2 hemispheres together. Later they stay merged making more use of both the creative and analytical side at same time.

I'm not someone that would say restrict anything though. It's up to parents and then to the person himself.

Some people love sports so much they would rather suffer the injuries and wear and tear over giving them up.

One guy I know is like 50 and he was playing basketball and baseball back with me and my friends when we were like 18-19 yrs old. So back then he was 30's. He still plays adult fast pitch, goes to park and plays with kids on the basketball court. He's still shooting those high arcing jumpers you can't block.

I don't think he has ever been hurt. Some people just built for sports and have bodies that can hang.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Completely agree. There is more to life than sports, much more. It just so happens that I have a Bronco addiction.

I love sports. Just pointing out that it does come with risks that IMO probably aren't laid out enough to parents.

What if helmets had another shell on top of what they already have. Seems like you could put a soft padding on the outside that would reduce the impact.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Seems like all the pads could be made to have a softer exterior but still the hard protection underneath.

It's been a long time since I played football and I was a little kid. Hard to remember what it was like except I remember thinking i wasn't very good. I do remember all the pads seemingly designed to help you maim people as much as protct yourself.

bowtown
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Except boxing is still in existence and it didn't fade out of poularity becasue of how dangerous it is. It's faded becasue it priced itself out of the mainstream. Now that is something the NFL should worry about, but there are always going to be people out there who are willing to risk themselves and their safety for the chance to make millions of dollars or even for the thrill of the competition/adrenaline rush.

LongDongJohnson
10-16-2009, 05:29 PM
If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't want them playing. I wouldn't stop him but it is a brutal sport.

One good friend of mine went on to college. Small school, Clarmont or something like that. He busted up his knee and it bothers him and hinders him now. Another good friend of my brothers broke his ankle and has problems with it.

your kids are going to be nerds.

Orange_Beard
10-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Dodge BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drek
10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Except boxing is still in existence and it didn't fade out of poularity becasue of how dangerous it is. It's faded becasue it priced itself out of the mainstream. Now that is something the NFL should worry about, but there are always going to be people out there who are willing to risk themselves and their safety for the chance to make millions of dollars or even for the thrill of the competition/adrenaline rush.

Boxing also saw a big chunk of its market share taken over by a more violent sport in MMA, where the concussions and broken faces of boxing are equally as standard along with a host of other injuries.

Circle Orange
10-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Kooks, flakes, nuts and screwballs are the backbone of american society.

Now excuse me...I'm working on a formula for converting club soda into fresh water. :sunshine:

gunns
10-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Most schools, at least here, require a kid to have good grades the semester before to even get in football and then they have to maintain it. My son also played the sax and guitar. He messed up his knee or you'd probably be watching him now. He says it was the best time.

Rock Chalk
10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I have girls but if I had boys they'd be out there playing football.

I wouldn't raise no pussies.

baja
10-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Kooks, flakes, nuts and screwballs are the backbone of american society.

Now excuse me...I'm working on a formula for converting club soda into fresh water. :sunshine:

Iron it.

houghtam
10-16-2009, 09:19 PM
How weird, I really do like Gladwell (especially tipping point and outliers) but i think he's way off base here. Boxing was NEVER EVER EVER the cash cow, cultural phenomenon NFL football is. NFL football is probably the leading source of entertainment in the US today.

Hmm, going to have to disagree with you there...in the teens and 20's, boxing was more popular than any other sport, including baseball.

However, the country was much different then, and even boxing was much different then than it is now. The comparison is apples and oranges.

Blart
10-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Driving is dangerous, skiing is dangerous, sex is dangerous, but we're gonna do it anyway.

carlosgmz1
10-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Boxing also saw a big chunk of its market share taken over by a more violent sport in MMA, where the concussions and broken faces of boxing are equally as standard along with a host of other injuries.

:bs:
Yea MMA is taking over but MMA Is not more dangerous than boxing, It's been proven time and time again that boxing is far more dangerous and you are more likely to get a concussion in boxing than MMA.... Have you seen some of the old boxers, like Ali, after they retire?! They are way worse than some old MMA fighters like randy couture who's still fighting in his 40's!Booya!

SJ Bronco
10-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Yea MMA is taking over but MMA Is not more dangerous than boxing, It's been proven time and time again that boxing is far more dangerous and you are more likely to get a concussion in boxing than MMA.... Have you seen some of the old boxers, like Ali, after they retire?! They are way worse than some old MMA fighters like randy couture who's still fighting in his 40's!Booya!

not to disagree with you, but to point out a flaw in that argument, there are boxers fighting well into their 50's. Not that I think your wrong...just devils advocate....

tsiguy96
10-17-2009, 06:37 AM
mma injury rates are one of the lowest in all sports. long term effects cant be studied yet obviously but its not near as bad as some of you think. the beatings are few and far between and shots to the head arent near as common.

Sir_Robin
10-17-2009, 07:10 AM
The article: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell?currentPage=all

Drek
10-17-2009, 08:33 AM

George Foreman was dragging his ass out of retirement and winning fights in his 50's.

MMA is an equally violent sport to boxing, if not more so. You can try and argue its not but all the statistics to support that side are skewed thanks to a smaller sampling pool that hasn't fully aged yet.

Most serious boxing injuries don't occur with elite fighters and the same will happen in MMA as it grows. The worst injuries will always occur from the less technically sound, unskilled fighters.

I've got nothing wrong with MMA, its stealing the limelight of boxing because its a superior form of entertainment. But that is why boxing is dying out, not because its too violent. MMA is at least comparable, and this will be born out as the sample pool increases.

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I work at a elementary school and honestly, sports (especially football) help the entire community grow stronger. Every Friday night most of the boys are somehow involved in football, flag football to be specific. But the parents, kids, and even school staff are involved with the whole football activities.
Heck, even the girls are able to develop or be invovled in extra curricular activities like cheering during the games and whatnot.
As a society, we have all come to realize that it is almost vital that kids get involved in some sport/physical activity bc like you have all mentioned, it builds many interpersonal skills that are harder to build in activities that target self gratification.
I am not taking away from music or spelling bee bc these are great skillbuilders as well, but sports, to me, are more rewarding.
Any kid that feels that he is part of something greater than him/herself will tend to have more self-steem and perhaps be more prepared to deal with and to cope with life and its adversities.

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I'd also like to add that there is also a chance that sports can damage a kids self-steem. Obviously, sports aren't for everyone and unfortunately some parents aren't aware of that and pushing them to participate in a sport can hinder them bc they may feel uncomfortable bc they know they don't fit in and at times be looked upon as the kid that everyone picks on and make him/her feel unwanted and worthless.

Tankgunner95
10-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd also like to add that there is also a chance that sports can damage a kids self-steem. Obviously, sports aren't for everyone and unfortunately some parents aren't aware of that and pushing them to participate in a sport can hinder them bc they may feel uncomfortable bc they know they don't fit in and at times be looked upon as the kid that everyone picks on and make him/her feel unwanted and worthless.

OK Beaner tell us what happened what sport did you try out for and did not make come on we are all family here. Its ok no one is going to make fun of you except everyone on this board!

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 10:15 AM
OK Beaner tell us what happened what sport did you try out for and did not make come on we are all family here. Its ok no one is going to make fun of you except everyone on this board!

lol I never have been cut from any team. Not to brag or anything, but I've always been a starter in whatever sport i've played and I am 3 year letterman for soccer; played baseball through middle school. I have never played football, however, so I can't say that I would've made it, but whenever we played street football I thought I did well so whatever.
But seriously, there have been cases where kids have felt this way because they suck dude. I remember every year in HS they'd come to us and give us Harrassment seminars, if you will, and they always told us to treat our teammates with respect and to never put them down bc of cases like the one i stated before took place.

tsiguy96
10-17-2009, 10:19 AM
you guys understand the difference between middle school/high school sports and top ranked collegiate and NFL right?

Tankgunner95
10-17-2009, 10:22 AM
you guys understand the difference between middle school/high school sports and top ranked collegiate and NFL right?

THERES A DIFFERENCE? Who would have thought?

tsiguy96
10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
apparently not the idiots who think the coddling you get in middle school should be the same as the guys who do this **** for a living.

beanerbronco
10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
There's a huge difference, without a doubt, but obviously this whole thing is tied up to the younger ages--the article ties them! We branched out into the benefits of sports during school, did we not?

Tankgunner95
10-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Benefits for playing football in HS = CheerLeader Tang
Benefits in College = Free education and Cheerleader Tang
Benefits in pro = $ and Cheerleader Tang

Archer81
10-17-2009, 01:18 PM

Boxing is 3,000 years old...yeah, its gonna go anytime now. Some people are silly. Why not ban sports alltogether? They all have danger attached to them...even soccer.

:Broncos:

KillerBronco#76
10-17-2009, 02:22 PM
according to the idea that injuries mean people should not play sport women need to stop altogether... a higher percentage of women soccer players tear their acl's than football players. The angle of a womens hip is a little different than a mans they call it the q angle it makes women ALOT more susceptible to ankle and knee injuries than men. we need to stop everyone from getting hurt.

While were at it no one is aloud to work construction anymore that is way to dangerous and working in a mine should be gotten rid of too, Why do we even have a military someone should tell all the soldiers it's dangerous to have gun fights and walk around trying to defuse bombs then we can quit worrying about eveyone getting hurt... but first before we do all that lets make sure little johnny doesn't get hurt playing a sport so we can save him and make sure he can get hurt on the job site.

broncocalijohn
10-18-2009, 12:10 AM

Neeeeeeeerds! Your kid should carry around the Tuba too. I hear it is a total chic magnet.