PDA

View Full Version : Jack Williams appreciation thread

Bronco Yoda
10-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I watched the Borncos/Pats game tonight again and Jacks game really stuck out. Special teams, nice coverage, batting balls down, recovering that fumble. He really had another very good performance.

He seems to be improving every game. IMO Players like this complimenting our stars is what will turn our good defense into a great defense.

BroncoMan4ever
10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
for a guy i didn't even think would make the 53 man roster, he has been playing awesomely. he has been heads up a few times. it can probably be said without the game he had against NE we would have lost.

Kaylore
10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
He's played very well and has since Smith got hurt. He had some great plays against the cowgirls too.

kappys
10-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Go Kent State! Golden Flashes!

For that matter while I can't support Julian Edelman against the Broncos I am cheering for him in other games, go KSU!

ZONA
10-15-2009, 11:06 PM
See, that's the thing. When you have a well coached and sound defense, players can look good. It takes 11 guys playing well. Being around other good players that are coached well helps raise your game. When you are playing for a crappy DC and have alot of holes on defense, it's hard to make plays and look good. JW is certainly taking advantage of playing with some good players and a great DC. He's looked very solid. I like when they send him on the run blitz and he gets around the edge and swipes the feet from underneath the back before he gets through the LOS.

PRBronco
10-15-2009, 11:26 PM
He's played very well and has since Smith got hurt. He had some great plays against the cowgirls too.

Yeah I keep seeing that last play against the Cowboys, and I have to speculate, if Champ didn't bat the ball down, I think Jack would have knocked the receiver's head off anyways.

cutthemdown
10-15-2009, 11:37 PM
what about using one of the young corners to shadow sproles if SD doesn't have success running the ball. You know if hes in there hes either blocking or going out for a pass.

If he blocks you tell Smith or JMTF, or Maybe even one of the young safety's to blitz or drop in a zone. If he goes out for a pass you tell him to shadow him.

IMO only Jackson and Sproles, Gates can hurt us for big plays. If we don't have a problem stopping the run I could see Broncos removing a linebacker and adding a dback on even the early downs.

ZONA
10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
what about using one of the young corners to shadow sproles if SD doesn't have success running the ball. You know if hes in there hes either blocking or going out for a pass.

If he blocks you tell Smith or JMTF, or Maybe even one of the young safety's to blitz or drop in a zone. If he goes out for a pass you tell him to shadow him.

IMO only Jackson and Sproles, Gates can hurt us for big plays. If we don't have a problem stopping the run I could see Broncos removing a linebacker and adding a dback on even the early downs.

I think with their lack of a running game, we will be seeing a ton of Woodyard in this game. He is the LB/Safety Hybrid that we've been using sorta like a nickel defense. The thing about Sproles is, he's actually not a great route runner. He just tries to find a small opening and then once he gets the ball, he's dangerous. But only if you have guys going at him one at a time. If we are flying to the ball, it shouldn't be a huge problem. He's not a tackle breaking machine. I really think our upgraded secondary this year will totally limit his big plays. Dawkins won't let this guy beat us!

cutthemdown
10-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I think with their lack of a running game, we will be seeing a ton of Woodyard in this game. He is the LB/Safety Hybrid that we've been using sorta like a nickel defense. The thing about Sproles is, he's actually not a great route runner. He just tries to find a small opening and then once he gets the ball, he's dangerous. But only if you have guys going at him one at a time. If we are flying to the ball, it shouldn't be a huge problem. He's not a tackle breaking machine. I really think our upgraded secondary this year will totally limit his big plays. Dawkins won't let this guy beat us!

Yeah woodyard I sort of forgot about. He would probably be best choice to either blitz or cover sproles. Very good point.

ZONA
10-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah woodyard I sort of forgot about. He would probably be best choice to either blitz or cover sproles. Very good point.

Well the beauty of it is, that it probably won't be just either Woodyard or JW. The Broncos have been nothing short of brilliant with mixing up what they are showing and doing on defense. I'm sure we will see Woodyard blitzing and covering, and the same with JW and Dawkins, Hill. Heck, we might even see a Champ blitz..........nah, probably not. Although I would rather keep Dawkins and Champ away from the LOS. We won't need them to help stop the run much I'm thinking and I would rather have those 2 back there just to help prevent anything over the top. They are our best big play preventers.

And one guy mentioned on another thread that they might have to keep Gates back at the LOS to help block the pass rush, like the Cowboys did with Witten but the Cowboys could run the ball, so that sorta made sense. I don't think SD will want to keep Gates blocking too much. Doom could have another 3 or 4 sack game, for real.

kappys
10-16-2009, 12:03 AM
And one guy mentioned on another thread that they might have to keep Gates back at the LOS to help block the pass rush, like the Cowboys did with Witten but the Cowboys could run the ball, so that sorta made sense. I don't think SD will want to keep Gates blocking too much. Doom could have another 3 or 4 sack game, for real.

They're more likely to keep a back in to help block then Gates I think. He is too dangerous as a pass receiver and outside of Jackson their other receivers haven't been particularly impressive.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Well the beauty of it is, that it probably won't be just either Woodyard or JW. The Broncos have been nothing short of brilliant with mixing up what they are showing and doing on defense. I'm sure we will see Woodyard blitzing and covering, and the same with JW and Dawkins, Hill. Heck, we might even see a Champ blitz..........nah, probably not. Although I would rather keep Dawkins and Champ away from the LOS. We won't need them to help stop the run much I'm thinking and I would rather have those 2 back there just to help prevent anything over the top. They are our best big play preventers.

I'm sure Champ will blitz at some point, but really we need him to just lock down that one side of the field. It free's up Hill and Dawkins to help goodman and the linebackers. Really the biggest reason our defense is better is

1- healthy champ bailey, got our best defender back
2- Brian Dawkins- the difference he has made is crazy

OBF1
10-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Jack Muther ****ing Williams.... impressive the past few games.

meangene
10-16-2009, 02:45 AM
I would have to say that Williams is the guy who has been the biggest surprise to me. A huge improvement over last year's performance. With Smith getting healthy, we have four very good corners who can cover and tackle. I think we can look forward to more picks as the season progresses. Williams emergence gives us so much more versatility in coverage and matchups.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 03:11 AM
I would have to say that Williams is the guy who has been the biggest surprise to me. A huge improvement over last year's performance. With Smith getting healthy, we have four very good corners who can cover and tackle. I think we can look forward to more picks as the season progresses. Williams emergence gives us so much more versatility in coverage and matchups.

It's amazing what having bigger guys upfront has done for DJ and all the backers. Peterson really an unsung hero. He's playing very good. That DE spot it sort of a bummer for stats in a 3-4, but Mcbean, Peterson, Holliday doing a nice job holding the edge and occupying olineman.

meangene
10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
It's amazing what having bigger guys upfront has done for DJ and all the backers. Peterson really an unsung hero. He's playing very good. That DE spot it sort of a bummer for stats in a 3-4, but Mcbean, Peterson, Holliday doing a nice job holding the edge and occupying olineman.

Just being physically bigger on the DL and at LB has had a lot to do with changing the personality of the defense. Sometimes you can't just out-quick or out-scheme teams, you have to beat them physically. Our recent teams have worn down late in games and late in the season largely because of a lack of size and, in turn, physicality. That was why we would inevitably lose games if we did not jump on top quickly. That is also part of why I have more confidence in this team's ability to maintain a consistently high level of play throughout the season.

Peoples Champ
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
dude looks good, and he has been playing great for me in madden, had a pick 6 to win the game the other day.

Bronco Warrior
10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Fields has been a straight up beast at the Nose. He mauled the centers in both the last two games.

As for Jack MF Williams he has been awesome player for us this yeah. Some anouncer in the Cleveland game compared his style of play the Champ Bailey. I was thinking WTF? But the more I watch him the more I'm not so much in disagreement. Great cover and run defense skills and has a little BDawk tackling and hitting rubbing off to!

Bronco Yoda
10-17-2009, 12:45 AM
We have play makers at every level now. I'm really getting high on this Defense.

Is it just me or is Champ still playing just on the left side still. I would have thought we'd be moving him around a bit more. I do know that Champ really feels the most comfortable on the left side.

Kaylore
10-17-2009, 08:48 AM
The year he was drafted he was being "coached" by son of Slowick. Our whole secondary degenerated because of it. You could argue this is the first year he's had real coaches and I think that's why you're seeing improved play from his end.

BroncoBuff
10-17-2009, 08:58 AM

He has a knack for the ball ... some guys just do.

I hope he plays a lot more ... maybe give him some of Goodman's reps. From what I've seen, he's every bit the corner Andre is, in pass coverage anyway.

HooptyHoops
10-17-2009, 12:37 PM

I hope he plays a lot more ... maybe give him some of Goodman's reps. From what I've seen, he's every bit the corner Andre is, in pass coverage anyway.

If that true, he should be starting, as Goodman's tackling has been lak luster lately, while Jack has been great at run support...

meangene
10-17-2009, 03:57 PM
If that true, he should be starting, as Goodman's tackling has been lak luster lately, while Jack has been great at run support...

I have noticed a few weak tackling efforts by Goodman in the last couple weeks too. Overall, though, he is doing a good job in coverage. I like the way things are for now with Smith and Williams in the nickel and dime, but Goodman needs to step up his tackling.

HooptyHoops
10-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I agree, I like how our young guns are showing a lot of heart and skill, while learning from the BEST! We might have the best AND deepest secondary in the league!!

Bronco Yoda
10-17-2009, 04:04 PM
However this works out...we have some depth now :)

Drek
10-17-2009, 05:47 PM

To be fair to Andre, he's the #2 opposite Champ. The entire passing game plan of our opposition from week to week will be designed to attack him. The fact that he's looked solid the last few weeks facing two good passing offenses says a lot about his own skill level and consistency.

Jack Williams is coming along nicely but I'm not crazy about the idea of droping that kind of load on him at the first positive signs of growth. I'd rather see both him and Alphonso Smith work a rotation at the nickel and dime spots, learning what they can and can't get away with at the NFL level and being allowed to partake in a variety of different roles (like blitzing).

In a couple years we're going to probably need Smith and Williams to be our starting CBs. Better to let them develop into playmakers in select roles suited to their skills than ask them to just get by play after play as a starter while we have the luxury.

broncogary
10-17-2009, 05:50 PM
To be fair to Andre, he's the #2 opposite Champ. The entire passing game plan of our opposition from week to week will be designed to attack him. The fact that he's looked solid the last few weeks facing two good passing offenses says a lot about his own skill level and consistency.

Jack Williams is coming along nicely but I'm not crazy about the idea of droping that kind of load on him at the first positive signs of growth. I'd rather see both him and Alphonso Smith work a rotation at the nickel and dime spots, learning what they can and can't get away with at the NFL level and being allowed to partake in a variety of different roles (like blitzing).

In a couple years we're going to probably need Smith and Williams to be our starting CBs. Better to let them develop into playmakers in select roles suited to their skills than ask them to just get by play after play as a starter while we have the luxury.

Yep, who can be unhappy with the way Goodman has played so far. He's been very solid.

I think the only way the Chargers can beat us this weak is with the passing game, and if he holds up, we win. :sunshine:

Finger Roll
10-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Another 4th round find. Marshall, Dumerville and now him