PDA

View Full Version : Broncos McDaniels hits variety of topics & other Broncos news

baja
10-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Broncos McDaniels hits variety of topics
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
POSTED: 10/15/2009 02:00:10 PM MDT
UPDATED: 10/15/2009 03:50:01 PM MDT

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels salutes the crowd after the Broncos defeated the New England Patriots 20-17 in overtime on Oct. 11, 2009, in Denver. (AP | Chris Schneider)
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels addressed a myriad of subjects at his news conference today, including:

* Brandon Marshall. The star and heretofore controversial receiver has gone from pay-me-or-trade-me holdout to preseason suspension to four touchdown receptions in his last three games.

"Without going back into the past, Brandon and I have never really had much of an issue with one another," McDaniels said. "I don't know when it clicked, but I'm happy it's clicking and he is too, and our team is all the better for it."

* The Chargers defense has eight takeaways in four games. Stripping the ball is a trademark of defenses coached by San Diego defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

"You can tell they practice it because every one of their players try to get the ball out," McDaniels said.
* These are not the Chargers that so frustrated former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. Even with LaDainian Tomlinson for two games and Darren Sproles for four, the Chargers rank 32nd in the NFL with 53.8 yards rushing per game.

"We've talked about, we don't want to be that team that they get it going against," McDaniels said.

* The Broncos held down Joshua Cribbs, one of the games' best punt returners, in week 2. Now they have Sproles in week 6.

"Cribbs is obviously bigger," McDaniels said. "Sproles is quicker. Maybe more explosive. When he gets the ball in his hands as a return man it's like somebody handed it to him in the backfield. He starts to run with it and as soon as he sees the crease, he hits it, just like a tailback. Very tough to tackle. Harder to find. Sproles is harder to find than Cribbs is. Cribbs you can see wherever he is because he's a different type of athlete, more size and all that. Sproles once he gets behind a couple blockers, you've got to do a good job of breaking it down and finding him first. And he's a different challenge in terms of tackling."

baja
10-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Marshall bounces back from offseason of discontent
By ARNIE STAPLETON – 4 hours ago
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Josh McDaniels' tough love apparently has done the trick. Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, whose temper tantrum at training camp drew a nine-day suspension, is back to being his Pro Bowl self.
In the last two weeks, Marshall, showing his head is clear and his hip is healed, has caught two big touchdown passes to help the unbeaten Broncos defeat Dallas and New England, respectively.
After his 51-yard TD against the Cowboys, in which Marshall avoided a half-dozen tacklers while zigzagging to the end zone, he broke down in tears and hugged McDaniels on the sideline and then again at the post-game podium.
"I don't know when it clicked, but I'm happy it's clicking and I think he is, too," McDaniels said Thursday. "And our team's all the better for it."
On Sunday, Marshall made another outstanding play when he faked a fade into the end zone, spun at the 5-yard line and caught a pass from quarterback Kyle Orton, then twisted away from a Patriots defender and dived into the end zone with the tying touchdown in Denver's 20-17 overtime win.
Marshall wasn't much in the mood to talk about his own resurgence this week, only the Broncos'.
Asked if he finally felt like the receiver who had 100-plus receptions the last two seasons, Marshall suggested it was simply a matter of his number being called.
"Every year, you all can ask that question, if I put up good numbers last year or the year before that," he said. "It's just a matter of time before you get your opportunities, if you come out and you're not making plays, it's just not because you're not as good. It's just you've got to play your role."
Told that it appeared his surgically repaired hip was no longer a concern, Marshall retorted: "My hip? My hip? I had a 51-yard touchdown where I cut on my hip, stopped a couple of times, jumped up. I think that shouldn't even be a question anymore."
After scoring just twice in the final seven games last year, Marshall underwent hip surgery in the offseason and was told it was in worse shape than the team's medical staff had led him to believe last season.
That was the beginning of his discontent in Denver.
He skipped out on the offseason workouts in protest of his medical treatment by the Broncos and also because the team rejected the trade request he made after they refused to renegotiate his contract.
Marshall is making about $2.2 million this season, a bargain for an elite receiver if he can prove his hip is no longer an issue and his numerous domestic disputes also are a thing of the past.
Marshall was the biggest pain in McDaniels' side after Jay Cutler forced a trade to Chicago in April.
He spent almost all of training camp either in the trainer's room or acting defiantly on the field after declaring the only reason he wasn't AWOL was to avoid the daily fines.
McDaniels refused to rework his contract or give him a ticket out of town, and now Marshall's a major reason Denver is 5-0 for the first time since 1998.
So, when did everything click with Marshall?
"I don't know," McDaniels said. "Without going back into the past, Brandon and I have never really had much of an issue with one another. We understand there's a business side to it."
In an interview with Michael Irvin for the NFL Network, Marshall indicated his epiphany came at halftime against Cleveland in Week 2.
Marshall stood like a statue on the sideline that afternoon while the Broncos offense ran 27 consecutive plays without him.
When his teammates filed out of the locker room at Invesco Field for the second-half kickoff, Marshall sat there and cried.
"I stayed and I sat in my locker, put my head down with a towel over my head. I thought I was the only one in there and I broke down," Marshall told the network. "I heard a voice and it was Brian Dawkins. He tapped me four times on my back. He said, 'Come on baby.'
"And once I heard that, it's like my teammates are with me. ... I'm going to get through this. And I think everything is on track, we're on track. It's exciting to be a Bronco."
Marshall told Irvin he knew he was "going down the wrong road" during his defiant offseason behavior and ultimately heeded the advice of his agent, Kennard McGuire, to "shut your mouth, go out there and practice."
He said his regretted the day at camp when he punted the ball in frustration instead of handing it to a ball boy and batted down passes that were thrown his way.
Now, Marshall's back to being a playmaker on game days, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound mountain of muscle and speed who is a nightmare for defensive backs.
After admitting in August that he hadn't bothered learning the playbook, he leads the Broncos with 24 catches for 283 yards.
Although there's no indication the Broncos are going to rework his contract anytime soon, Marshall apparently has come to realize the best path to a big payday is through his play and not petulance.
He said he's excited to work with at-risk youth again on his days off.
"I'm excited. I've never been more confident in my life and myself as far as the track I'm on, and I can honestly say that," Marshall said. "When you're doing the right thing off the field, it helps on the field, and vice versa. Just like coach always preaches complementary football, life is complementary too."

baja
10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
A Tamed Stallion: Marshall Is No Longer a Bucking Bronco
by Kris Burke Contributor
(Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)
Let's turn the clock back a little less than fifty days to August 29.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall had just been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team, adding more salt to a still fresh wound for the Broncos. The team a few months earlier had traded their disgruntled franchise quarterback to the Chicago Bears and now were dealing with their number one receiver demanding a trip out of Denver.

Now fast froward to the present day.

The Broncos are the surprise of the NFL standing atop the AFC West with a perfect 5-0 record. Even more surprising is the fact that Marshall of all people has been the key player in the past two Broncos victories. Marshall made a spectacular run and catch for the go ahead touchdown against the Cowboys and just last Sunday scored the game-tying touchdown against the Patriots.

In other words, Marshall has gone from zero to hero amongst Broncos fans in less than sixty days. So what has changed?

First off, everyone and their mother knew that Marshall had the skills to be an elite receiver in the NFL. His past two seasons both saw him with over 1,200 yards and more than 100 catches. His talent was never in question.

What was in question was his ability to stay out of trouble off the field. A "freak" accident last season involving him putting his arm though a television was one thing, but him serving a one game suspension (it was reduced from three games) at the start of last season served notice that he could be problem child. His latest arrest this past March for disorderly conduct didn't help matters, though the charges in that case were dismissed.

The creme de la creme, however, came this past offseason after Jay Cutler was traded. Marshall, allegedly upset over his contract, demanded a trade from Denver. He had "trust issues" with the organization, and wanted out.

His antics during training camp that were caught by TV cameras were the straws that broke the camel's back and coach Josh McDaniels had no choice but to suspend Marshall for the remainder of the preseason. People figured it was a matter of "when" Marshall would be out of Denver, not "if."

Thankfully for the Broncos and their fans, McDaniels didn't give up that easily.

What has occurred since has been one of the most remarkable in-season turnarounds by a player in league history. Yes, the Broncos are winning and winning supposedly cures all, but what happens if the Broncos lose a couple games? Will Marshall revert to previous form and act like a petulant brat?

My money is on "NO."

My reasoning for this? Two images from the win over the Cowboys. First is the emotional embrace Marshall shared with McDaniels after he scored the winning touchdown and second is another embrace that Marshall and McDaniels shared during the coach's post-game press conference.

They a say a picture is worth a thousand words, and in this case two pictures are worth a million.

No one knows what words were exchanged between Marshall and McDaniels during their embraces, but what everyone should see is that a player can't fake emotions like that. Not even receivers like Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco could create something like that and have it just be a show.

What Marshall and McDaniels shared was real, and the Broncos and their fans have every reason to believe Marshall has turned the corner and won't be looking back.

That is not to say he is completely out of the woods. Marshall's challenge from this point forward is maintaining focus, especially if the Broncos make the Super Bowl. Success breeds attention and Marshall could easily become distracted and the off field issues could rear their ugly head again if Marshall loses concentration on the big picture.

That is where McDaniels comes in. While he cannot and should not be Marshall's personal babysitter, what McDaniels can do here is make sure Marshall is reminded of how miserable he once was and how happy he is right now. Marshall needs to keep growing as a player and a person and all should be well.

One of the biggest surprises this season has been that no "star wideout" like a Marshall, Owens, Moss, or Ochocinco has erupted into a display of public humiliation. It's still early in the season and I bet one will happen.

But it won't come from the guy named Marshall.

Rabb
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
good and extremely exciting stuff

didn't think I would be saying this, but what a great time to be a Broncos fan

cutthemdown
10-15-2009, 08:34 PM
I said it before, Marshall will have his best yr, this yr. He only needs 8 tds to beat his old best season and he already has 4.

ShutDownPoster
10-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Ditto - I prefer higher TD catches as opposed to high catch totals

Rabb
10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Ditto - I prefer higher TD catches as opposed to high catch totals

just like our "#2 offense last year"

yeah...16th in scoring though

I am totally with you

55CrushEm
10-16-2009, 08:40 AM
just like our "#2 offense last year"

yeah...16th in scoring though

I am totally with you

But....but.....Broncofan7 said we had the second BEST offense in the NFL last year......

:stirstir:

Cleo McDowell
10-16-2009, 08:42 AM

In an interview with Michael Irvin for the NFL Network, Marshall indicated his epiphany came at halftime against Cleveland in Week 2.
Marshall stood like a statue on the sideline that afternoon while the Broncos offense ran 27 consecutive plays without him.
When his teammates filed out of the locker room at Invesco Field for the second-half kickoff, Marshall sat there and cried.
"I stayed and I sat in my locker, put my head down with a towel over my head. I thought I was the only one in there and I broke down," Marshall told the network. "I heard a voice and it was Brian Dawkins. He tapped me four times on my back. He said, 'Come on baby.'
"And once I heard that, it's like my teammates are with me. ... I'm going to get through this. And I think everything is on track, we're on track. It's exciting to be a Bronco."

Did anyone else catch this interview?

It is unbelievable how much value Dawkins has brought to this team..more than just defense and intensity.. he might have saved bmarsh and the broncos offense that afternoon.. amazing.

55CrushEm
10-16-2009, 08:45 AM

It is unbelievable how much value Dawkins has brought to this team..more than just defense and intensity.. he might have saved bmarsh and the broncos offense that afternoon.. amazing.

Yes....I saw that, too......and I was thinking the same thing.

BDawk is the man....:thumbsup:

hades
10-16-2009, 01:11 PM
L-O-L at Dawkins, come on baby. He is old enough to possibly be his Daddy tho!

<--very glad Dawkins is a Bronco!

Gort
10-16-2009, 03:03 PM

it's been clear since Lynch (and I guess Plummer & Smith on the offensive side) left that the team sorely lacked veteran leadership. Champ is fine in a lead-by-example sort of way, but young players need vocal locker room leadership.

if that's all Dawkins provides, then his salary is worth it. anything he does on the field is a bonus.

DomCasual
10-16-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm kind of hoping he can play another 10-12 years.

Pony Boy
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I really hope we work hard on a plan to stop Darren Sproles on the screen pass and then after that I hope we work on stopping Darren Sproles on kick returns and then when were are done with that I hope we have some time left over to work on stopping Darren Sproles running the ball .................... In other words I'm just sick of watching Sproles kill us.............

Rabb
10-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I really hope we work hard on a plan to stop Darren Sproles on the screen pass and then after that I hope we work on stopping Darren Sproles on kick returns and then when were are done with that I hope we have some time left over to work on stopping Darren Sproles running the ball .................... In other words I'm just sick of watching Sproles kill us.............

I can see B Dawk blowing his ass up like he did McFadden