PDA

View Full Version : Will Rivers drown Broncos?

dragondawg
10-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Will Rivers drown Broncos?
Daniel Williams, DDN Staff Writer

The Denver Broncos have played against some great quarterbacks this season: Carson Palmer, Tony Romo and Tom Brady, just to name few.

This week will be no different when they face the Chargers Phillip Rivers when Denver travels to San Diego for Monday Night Football.

And although Denver defeated a recovering Tom Terrific last week, Rivers may be playing at a higher level than any of the Broncos quarterback foes this season.

He is probably playing the best of any quarterback we have played and we have played some good quarterbacks, and this guy is playing right up there with all of them, said Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels. He is a great deep-ball thrower, a fabulous deep-ball thrower, great touch, and they have great deep ball threats: [Vincent] Jackson, [Malcom] Floyd and [Antonio] Gates.

Dawkins impressed

Broncos safety Brian Dawkins has a firsthand look at what type of ball many of the NFL's elite quarterbacks throw while he is looking over the field from the secondary. And Dawkins has been impressed with what he has seen from Rivers' cannon.

Obviously, he has a very accurate, strong arm. He is very competitive and throws the deep ball just as good if not the best in the NFL as far as throwing the deep ball, Dawkins said. He has the weapons outside to get the ball to. We definitely, once again, have our hands cut out for us.

But besides River's large stature and even larger arm, it is his moxy and his unmeasured intangibles that make him special. The emotional Rivers is the definition of a gamer, and he is also a very clutch performer, playing at the highest of levels in games most critical scenarios.

Rivers led the NFL with 34 touchdowns last season to only 11 interceptions which also helped translate into his 2008 NFL best 105.5 passer rating.

You can see his toughness every time he is back there in the pocket. There are plenty of times where he stands in there and takes a shot and delivers the ball exactly where it needs to be very accurately. To me, that is a sign of great toughness, McDaniels said.

know he is a good leader. I played against him a bunch of times. He played with a torn ligament in his knee in the AFC Championship game a couple years ago. He is a true quarterback, and he is a tough guy. He is a winner.

Rivers drowns Broncos last season

Besides McDaniels, the rest of Broncos also are very aware of Rivers' abilities and remember him last year destroying them and their playoff hopes in a 52-21 blowout to end Denver's season on a very sour note a loss that may have been the nail in Mike Shanahan's coaching coffin.

This is a huge week for us, obviously. Any time you play a divisional opponent, it shouldn't be hard for you to get up for a game. Any divisional opponent is going to be a tough game. It is going to be a 60-minute game, and it's on Monday night. I don't think we will have any issue being emotionally ready to play this game, said Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton.

On a Chargers team that has underachieved over the past few seasons, Rivers has been the one overachiever and maybe the one holding the team together.

Moreover, with Rivers as the starting quarterback, the Chargers are always in every game they play, because Rivers is capable of scoring quickly and in bunches. And that is exactly what San Diego will attempt to do on Monday night.

http://www.thedenverdailynews.com/article.php?aID=6044

19Morton77
10-15-2009, 12:28 AM
good qb, playing at home and owns us. If the Chargers win, it isnt there defense or running backs this time. It will be because of Rivers. With this D, i just dont see him breaking through enough times. Our Offense should look stellar against their banged up D.

Broncos4Life
10-15-2009, 12:31 AM
good qb, playing at home and owns us. If the chargers win, it isnt there defense or running backs this time. It will be because of rivers. With this d, i just dont see him breaking through enough times. Our offense should look stellar against their banged up d.

word.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
again we are doomed man just doomed we should be 0-5 chargers 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999 broncos 0.1

Que
10-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Our only hope is that San Diego scores so much that they lap the scoreboard and go back to 0. In fact, if I were the folks in SoCal, I would be researching whether the scoreboard can handle 3 or even 4 digits. This is a Y2K problem all over again....