PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels gives Broncos their pride back

baja
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
McDaniels gives Broncos their pride back
Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:12pm EDT Email | Print | Share | Reprints |

MIAMI (Reuters) - When the Denver Broncos replaced long-serving head coach Mike Shanahan with 33-year-old Josh McDaniels, eyebrows were raised at the choice of a rookie to take charge of an underachieving team and a difficult locker room.

But after the Broncos 5-0 start to the season, their boyish head coach is the talk of the league and his team are the surprise package of the young season.

Sunday's comeback 20-17 victory over the New England Patriots where McDaniels served as assistant to three-times Super Bowl-winning head coach Bill Belichick, put an end to suggestions the Broncos' start had been due to a kind schedule.

The highly symbolic win over Belichick's Patriots saw McDaniels celebrate in a manner unthinkable for his famously dour mentor -- racing to the home fans and punching the air and screaming in delight.

Such outbursts are rare for NFL coaches, but McDaniels, whose father Thom built a reputation as a college coach in Ohio, is hardly bashful about letting his enthusiasm for the game pour out.

"I don't know the answer as to why other people may enjoy or celebrate or share that (moment) with somebody else differently, but I grew up the son of a coach and losing stinks," McDaniels told reporters on Monday.

"We work too hard to not enjoy the wins or we work too hard to try to minimize any success we might have in a weekend."

TOUGH INITIATION

McDaniels had a tough initiation as head coach when a dispute over a potential trade for Jay Cutler became a media soap opera in the off-season and ended with the disaffected quarter-back leaving for Chicago.

McDaniels' intended replacement, former New England back-up quarterback Matt Cassel, eventually joined Kansas City, leaving the coach with the much less-fancied Kyle Orton from Chicago.

McDaniels then had to handle a tricky situation with wide-receiver Brandon Marshall, whom he suspended for two pre-season games after being unhappy with his attitude in training.

The quarterback change, just one part of a major overhaul of the roster, has worked out well so far, with the steady but unspectacular Orton fitting neatly into Denver's offense.

Marshall's return to the team has seen him score four touchdowns in the last three games, including two against the Patriots.

But the biggest change has been the creation of a defense which is currently the second best in the NFL and which has helped produce five wins that open up the real chance of a first play-off place since 2005.

ZONA
10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Yup,

We loaned the AFC West crown to SD for 3 or 4 years there but since they seem fit to do nothing with it, we might as well take it back. We damn well know KC and the Blackholes won't be doing jack for years to come.

barryr
10-15-2009, 07:51 AM
The players are obviously buying in and it is a mindset of contenders when you really believe yo ucan win any game you play. It's been awhile since the Broncos truly had that feeling. Whether it means playoffs, time will tell of course. But the belief is there at least.

BroncoBuff
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
The term 'Boy Wonder' seems to fit.

DenverBrit
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
The term 'Boy Wonder' seems to fit.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EQXPQvxgn9A/Rlo8tk_57cI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/U0o57_dYXgs/s320/BurtWardBoyWonderRecordLabel.jpg

;D

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 09:28 AM
The way our team has played thus far speaks to their dedication and hard work and the detail oriented practice type situations that McD has devised-we are able to win those close games and we have been the team that has made the plays at the end of the game instead of the other way around-I was dead wrong about him........but their still is much work to do--especially on offense........19/gm isn't going to cut it........

baja
10-15-2009, 09:35 AM
The way our team has played thus far speaks to their dedication and hard work and the detail oriented practice type situations that McD has devised-we are able to win those close games and we have been the team that has made the plays at the end of the game instead of the other way around-I was dead wrong about him........but their still is much work to do--especially on offense........19/gm isn't going to cut it........

Dose this mean we aren't dumb asses anymore?

cutthemdown
10-15-2009, 09:41 AM

I agree if we want to beat the Colts we will need more then 19. It's just not sane to assume the defense can keep the elite offenses under 20 points every game all yr long.

At some point the offense will need more scoring.

I think that is the reality.

tsiguy96
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Dose this mean we aren't dumb asses anymore?

no, well always be dumbasses for giving the coach a chance to actually have a few games under his belt. you are supposed to whine and cry how he killed this team and how its all over and this franchise might move because cutlers gone, then backtrack when you are wrong. its the way of the world.

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 09:52 AM
no, well always be dumbasses for giving the coach a chance to actually have a few games under his belt. you are supposed to whine and cry how he killed this team and how its all over and this franchise might move because cutlers gone, then backtrack when you are wrong. its the way of the world.

Exactly--people without opinions on a MESSAGE board are BORING. 'wait and see' is no fun for anyone........Was wrong on McD and Orton--not too proud to admit it.........but I'd really like to see some older posts fromMcD Off-season supporters who predicted that we'd be winning with defense--I predicted that our offense would take a step back without Cutler and it has--by a FG /game---I just never imagined that we'd go from 30th or so in defensive pts/gm to FIRST!

But you were going to 'wait and see' before you made your 'prediction', right?

tsiguy96
10-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Exactly--people without opinions on a MESSAGE board are BORING. 'wait and see' is no fun for anyone........Was wrong on McD and Orton--not too proud to admit it.........but I'd really like to see some older posts fromMcD Off-season supporters who predicted that we'd be winning with defense--I predicted that our offense would take a step back without Cutler and it has--by a FG /game---I just never imagined that we'd go from 30th or so in defensive pts/gm to FIRST!

But you were going to 'wait and see' before you made your 'prediction', right?

we DIDNT predict wed be winning with the defense because WE DIDNT KNOW. we didnt say they would suck or be great because WE DIDNT KNOW. do you not understand yet? how are people supposed to make informed, accurate predictions without having any information? thats what idiots like you did all summer, and now you say the people who supported the team all summer are WRONG because we didnt predict the defense would be good, yet people like you are equally wrong because you were 100% adamant the team would suck badly, defense bad offense bad mcdaniels death of the franchise? and you did all that bull**** predicting without any information to base it off besides your own bull**** knowledge of football.

NYBronc
10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Do we have to do this with every single freaking thread?

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
we DIDNT predict wed be winning with the defense because WE DIDNT KNOW. we didnt say they would suck or be great because WE DIDNT KNOW. .

So you are admitting to 'jumping into the fight' after it's been decided(waiting until AFTER the games have been played)--just to get your kicks in--like a yapping mouthy VAG just looking to get a few cheap shots in while we are down----you won't ante up when the action is going on--but instead run to the front of the line to take shots after the result has already been determined..........quite fitting for you.

Beantown Bronco
10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree if we want to beat the Colts we will need more then 19. It's just not sane to assume the defense can keep the elite offenses under 20 points every game all yr long.

At some point the offense will need more scoring.

I think that is the reality.

Most likely, though it is encouraging to think about the Ravens team that won the SB. They did it while only averaging 20 pts per game all season long, and that figure includes defensive scores. Take away those defensive scores and they were well below 15 pts/game.

Popps
10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Ebut I'd really like to see some older posts fromMcD Off-season supporters who predicted that we'd be winning with defense

We're not just winning with defense. We're winning with a structure and concept of complete football. (Special teams, running the ball, not turning the ball over.)

This team has gone back to fundamental football and is doing all of the little things right. This is a structural, organizational shift to an entirely different football concept.

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 10:59 AM
We're not just winning with defense. We're winning with a structure and concept of complete football. (Special teams, running the ball, not turning the ball over.)

This team has gone back to fundamental football and is doing all of the little things right. This is a structural, organizational shift to an entirely different football concept.

I cannot agree--it seems that our penalties are a little more frequent this year than last -that does not jive COMPLETELY with playing fundamental football-our turnovers are down--but our offensive point production is as well. Our defense has been the deciding factor in each of our games--holding teams to under their scoring average......which has given our offense a chance to sort itself out during the game--Orton played amazing last week--and if we can continue that type of balance--the points will eventually come---we need to begin scoring FIRST against the good teams --that will REALLY allow us to dictate tempo during games......

delany
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Do we have to do this with every single freaking thread?

I am more and more convinced that half these people are bots. They are too repetitive to be actual humans.

DenverBrit
10-15-2009, 11:14 AM
A team with new players and coaches, new schemes and philosophy, a team who's performance couldn't be predicted.

Yet, a self appointed "above average fan" bets AGAINST them??

.....and loses! Hilarious!

....then comes here to lecture others??

Priceless!! Ha!

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 12:26 PM
A team with new players and coaches, new schemes and philosophy, a team who's performance couldn't be predicted.

Yet, a self appointed "above average fan" bets AGAINST them??

.....and loses! Hilarious!

....then comes here to lecture others??

Priceless!! Ha!

I bet against them week 1--not since :)

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 12:28 PM

We had the pre-season performances--coupled with our schedule--coupled with our DL roster........but let me guess--YOU PREDICTED that we'd have the #1 scoring defense in football and be 5-0...........despite our offensive ppg going down by a FG..........

tsiguy96
10-15-2009, 12:31 PM
So you are admitting to 'jumping into the fight' after it's been decided(waiting until AFTER the games have been played)--just to get your kicks in--like a yapping mouthy VAG just looking to get a few cheap shots in while we are down----you won't ante up when the action is going on--but instead run to the front of the line to take shots after the result has already been determined..........quite fitting for you.

do you ever wonder why no one ever agrees with you on this board? is it because you are always right and everyone else is wrong? you are an "above average fan" however, so i guess you must be right about everyhting

DenverBrit
10-15-2009, 01:03 PM
We had the pre-season performances--coupled with our schedule--coupled with our DL roster........but let me guess--YOU PREDICTED that we'd have the #1 scoring defense in football and be 5-0...........despite our offensive ppg going down by a FG..........

Guessed wrong AGAIN!! Ha!

broncofan7
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Guessed wrong AGAIN!! Ha!

How about this--I am guessing that you are overweight, balding and have REALLY bad teeth.........oh wait--that is TOO OBVIOUS--being that you have BRIT-ISH in your username--that doesn't really qualify as a 'guess' then does it? :rofl:

Inkana7
10-15-2009, 01:34 PM
How about this--I am guessing that you are overweight, balding and have REALLY bad teeth.........oh wait--that is TOO OBVIOUS--being that you have BRIT-ISH in your username--that doesn't really qualify as a 'guess' then does it? :rofl:

Oh snap!

DenverBrit
10-15-2009, 01:41 PM

What's this? Kindergarten smack?

0-3 and desperate Ha!

missingnumber7
10-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Boring football is good football.

ward63
10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
If our offense scores 19 pts a game I'll be happy, as long as our defense keeps up the 9 pts per game too.

kamakazi_kal
10-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Were winning with ball control and a stellar defense.
I'll admit Orton has been very suprising but let's not get all crazy here. His game vs. tha pats was career best across the board (good timing there!!).

He did win that game with those two last drives I'll give him that but that running game is a big help. I like seeing a back in denver that gets the ball more then 15 times a game.

baja
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Boring football is good football.

Are you saying the Broncos games have been boring???