PDA

View Full Version : Orton for MVP....

gyldenlove
10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Okay, this one goes out primarily to the koolaid drinkers, you know who you are.

Did any of you really think that Orton would be seriously mentioned in MVP talks after 5 games?

DenverBrit
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Way too early.

BlaK-Argentina
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Is he being considered? Manning will run away with it again. Or Favre if he keeps it up. Brees... way too much competition. Him being in the discussion would be great, even if he doesn't win it. (and he won't)

baja
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Okay, this one goes out primarily to the koolaid drinkers, you know who you are.

Did any of you really think that Orton would be seriously mentioned in MVP talks after 5 games?

I will say this it is not out of the question which is a big step up from

BAWHAAAAAABAWHAAAAAAA...

DeusExManning
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
On Adam Corrola's podcast today with Jay Glazer, Adam said Orton looks like he just got laid. I like that analysis.

Mr. Elway
10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Is he being considered? Manning will run away with it again. Or Favre if he keeps it up. Brees... way too much competition. Him being in the discussion would be great, even if he doesn't win it. (and he won't)

I think it's way too early, and highly unlikely for Orton, but yes he is in the discussion:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/6985/mike-sandos-mvp-watch-4

Man-Goblin
10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Let's start chanting M-V-P! when he goes to the free throw line.

errand
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM

No, but we can honestly say you wouldn't have considered him for player of the week, let alone the year.

Right now he's on pace to throw for 23 TD's and only 3 INT's...which if he keeps his rating in the 90's and we win several more games and make playoffs, then he should be considered for the award.

But what inquiring minds want to know is what will your reaction be if he's named MVP or makes the Pro bowl?

Pseudofool
10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Pretty sure Peter King had him listed at #5 on his list. But this is a stupid early discussion.

DarkHorse
10-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Rich Eisen and Marshall Faulk mentioned it on Total Access yesterday as well.

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Pretty sure Peter King had him listed at #5 on his list. But this is a stupid early discussion.

that is why i hate pro bowl voting happening the middle of the year, and MVP talk starting this early. at this point last season Cutler was an MVP candidate and undisputed pro bowl player, but by the end of the season he was not worthy of either award.

and even if Orton stays on his current pace the whole year, he isn't going to stand a chance of winning. Manning, Brees, or Peterson will take it.

also going to the pro bowl is highly unlikely for him as well. playing in a conference where Manning and Brady are guaranteed to go every year, leaving 1 spot open for Palmer, Ben, Flacco, Rivers and now Orton as possibilities it becomes highly unlikely he gets the recognition

kamakazi_kal
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry, He's played well but if it's a QB your talking about it ends with ass-clown Peyton Manning ...... guys been nothing short of amazing. Can't think of another team that would just plain collapse if they lost him like the Colts would if Manning went down.

5 straight 300 yard games with like 3 TD's in each one ....

Ready to see more TV spots?

Now if we could nominate Nolan for something .... that's a given right their.

Swedish Extrovert
10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
that is why i hate pro bowl voting happening the middle of the year, and MVP talk starting this early. at this point last season Cutler was an MVP candidate and undisputed pro bowl player, but by the end of the season he was not worthy of either award.

and even if Orton stays on his current pace the whole year, he isn't going to stand a chance of winning. Manning, Brees, or Peterson will take it.

also going to the pro bowl is highly unlikely for him as well. playing in a conference where Manning and Brady are guaranteed to go every year, leaving 1 spot open for Palmer, Ben, Flacco, Rivers and now Orton as possibilities it becomes highly unlikely he gets the recognition

Unless Brady doesn't go this year.

chex
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM

I could probably ask the same question to those that hated our offseason.

I don't need for him to win MVP, just for him to play like one. We'll all be smiling at the end of the season then. Or at least most of us will be.

And for the record, just waiting to see what shook out of all the offseason moves doesn't make me a 'kool-aid drinker'. That's why I have no sympathy for the tender-asses that take offense to a little ribbing. You reap what you sow.

bronco militia
10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
unless Peyton Manning gets injured there really isn't anything to discuss.

theAPAOps5
10-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Orton for MVP - not quite
McD for Coach of the year (after 5 games) - For sure!

tsiguy96
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
if brady makes hte pro bowl this year it will be ridiculous. hes playing like an average or worse QB. carson palmer deserves consideration.

houghtam
10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
In this offense, all that we really need is a smart quarterback who doesn't make mistakes. Anything more is icing on the cake.

That said, Brees (or Manning) would destroy in this offense. Favre would force throws and we'd be 2-3 right now.

Doggcow
10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
ORTON IS ABSOLUTELY TITS IN THE 4TH QUARTER!

I don't know how much more MVP-esque you can get your Resume than KO has without putting a name like Manning or Brady at the top of it though.

SJ Bronco
10-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Nolan is MVP....even if he is only the coach. His game plan and adjustments are damn near flawless.

Punisher
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
The only way Orton gets the MVP is if we go 16-0

Blueflame
10-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Yep. Manning's thrown for 300+ yards in 7 of his last 8 games... barring injury, he'll walk away with MVP honors.

Popps
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Sure, I'm a proud Broncos kool-aid drinker. To me, that's a compliment... not an insult. But, I realize some people only want to drink "kool-aid" when times are good."

Of course no one predicted Orton would be MVP, nor will he likely be by the time the season is over. This is a very complete team and Orton is just one (important) aspect. This isn't fantasy football or the Pro Bowl. Gone are the days of looking for a daddy-figure at QB to carry the team and solve the world's problems.

This is a complete team concept. It's what most of us were excited about during the off-season.

This little counter-attack by haters of "you didn't predict 5-0 so you must not like the team" is pretty embarrassing.

Some people were on the right side of this story, and some people were on the wrong side. Those on the wrong side should just accept it gracefully and quit trying to re-write history.

baja
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
The only way Orton gets the MVP is if we go 16-0

19 and 0

baja
10-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Sure, I'm a proud Broncos kool-aid drinker. To me, that's a compliment... not an insult. But, I realize some people only want to drink "kool-aid" when times are good."

Of course no one predicted Orton would be MVP, nor will he likely be by the time the season is over. This is a very complete team and Orton is just one (important) aspect. This isn't fantasy football or the Pro Bowl. Gone are the days of looking for a daddy-figure at QB to carry the team and solve the world's problems.

<b>This is a complete team concept. It's what most of us were excited about during the off-season. </b>

This little counter-attack by haters of "you didn't predict 5-0 so you must not like the team" is pretty embarrassing.

Some people were on the right side of this story, and some people were on the wrong side. Those on the wrong side should just accept it gracefully and quit trying to re-write history.

I really love the term used by several players to describe Josh ball, they call it "Complimentary Football" which I take to mean each phase of the team schemes in part to play to the consideration and benefit of the other phases. That does create a formidable and complete warrior.

maher_tyler
10-14-2009, 04:41 PM

If the decision was made right now who would get it, it'd be Manning. Head coach gone, Harrison gone, #2 WR hurt etc.

maher_tyler
10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Yep. Manning's thrown for 300+ yards in 7 of his last 8 games... barring injury, he'll walk away with MVP honors.

:kiddingme

We're 5 games into the season...pre-season and last year don't count!

Blueflame
10-14-2009, 04:54 PM
:kiddingme

We're 5 games into the season...pre-season and last year don't count!

I know that... just pointing out that Manning is consistently playing at a high level and if that continues, his name alone will make the difference over a relatively-unheralded name like "Kyle Orton", regardless of how well Orton plays this season. The MVP voters won't look beyond "Manning" on the ballot... fair or not, that's the way it is.

Popps
10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Broncos MVP.

There's no way Orton takes league MVP honors, even if he plays like this all the way out.
He won't have the yardage numbers, which is what people tend to be infatuated with, for whatever reason.

Blueflame
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Broncos MVP.

There's no way Orton takes league MVP honors, even if he plays like this all the way out.
He won't have the yardage numbers, which is what people tend to be infatuated with, for whatever reason.

A valid argument could be made for Ryan Clady as Broncos MVP....

strafen
10-14-2009, 06:37 PM

Did any of you really think that Orton would be seriously mentioned in MVP talks after 5 games?We're 5-0, but in those 5 wins, Orton only has been good or relevant in one game. The game against New England
You can make an argument he hadn't thrown an INT in the previous 4 games, but that's not why we won those games, though we could've lost if he had, but not reason enough to give him all the credit

Rock Chalk
10-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Who cares.

YOUR Denver Broncos have the league's BEST 4th quarter QB this year.

I'd take that any day of the week and twice on Sundays, Mondays, sometimes Thursday's.

dextermilo
10-14-2009, 08:50 PM
The only thing that will move Orton up the list is winning the super bowl.

ZONA
10-14-2009, 09:05 PM

yup. He doesn't exactly play in a tough division either.

lostknight
10-14-2009, 10:16 PM
No chance that Orton's the MVP... But that's the point. McDaniel's is trying to build, what NE always claimed they were, but never were. A true "team" without superstars, with everyone pulling their load, and doing their job.

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Unless Brady doesn't go this year.

Brady and Manning can put up seasons like Jamarcus Russell and would still get voted to the pro bowl.

2 slots are already taken unless injury hits and they are forced to give up their spot.

Jason in LA
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Orton for MVP - not quite
McD for Coach of the year (after 5 games) - For sure!

McDaniels for coach of the year? If the Broncos keep this up it's pretty much his award.

Orton for MVP? I don't see why he would even be in the voting. The Broncos holding teams to 8 points per game is the major reason they are undefeated. I do like the way Orton played this past Sunday against the Pats, but lets not get carried away.

Swedish Extrovert
10-16-2009, 08:40 PM
if brady makes hte pro bowl this year it will be ridiculous. hes playing like an average or worse QB. carson palmer deserves consideration.

Palmer and Orton are really messing with the scouting conventional wisdom this year.

The Pats have been good the last decade. I still maintain that Tom Brady is the most overrated player in the history of professional sports, though... and it seems a changing of the guard is among us.

Is it just that Brady wins? Because I feel like I'm watching a different Tom Brady than the scouts. I've seen Brady play 6 times (5 at Invesco, 1 at Foxboro). I'll concede that he looks very good in the pocket. I'll concede that he is a very smart, composed player. I'll concede that he's cool under pressure and a great leader... BUT you don't hear many people talking about Tom Brady's lack of arm strength. You don't hear anybody talking about the fact that (from what I've seen) he consistently leads his receivers too much. Nor do you hear about his inflated stats via the Burkhardt system - the dink-and-dunk passes where the line and receivers do all the work. As far as I'm concerned, most of Brady's passes (the screens, dumps, shovels, slants) are basically running plays to the WR - that boost his stats. It's why Cassel succeeded, even though he sucks, and it's why Orton is succeeding now.

That's what I loved about Orton. He resembled Tom Brady... There are a lot of athletes out there (Jay Cutler), but not too many Football Players (Kyle Orton).

Not to mention, Kyle Orton is just an awesome human being, too. If the 2nd and 3rd parts of the season go as well as the first 1/3, I fully expect him to be in the Pro Bowl sans Brady.

baja
10-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Palmer and Orton are really messing with the scouting conventional wisdom this year.

The Pats have been good the last decade. I still maintain that Tom Brady is the most overrated player in the history of professional sports, though... and it seems a changing of the guard is among us.

Is it just that Brady wins? Because I feel like I'm watching a different Tom Brady than the scouts. I've seen Brady play 6 times (5 at Invesco, 1 at Foxboro). I'll concede that he looks very good in the pocket. I'll concede that he is a very smart, composed player. I'll concede that he's cool under pressure and a great leader... BUT you don't hear many people talking about Tom Brady's lack of arm strength. You don't hear anybody talking about the fact that (from what I've seen) he consistently leads his receivers too much. Nor do you hear about his inflated stats via the Burkhardt system - the dink-and-dunk passes where the line and receivers do all the work. As far as I'm concerned, most of Brady's passes (the screens, dumps, shovels, slants) are basically running plays to the WR - that boost his stats. It's why Cassel succeeded, even though he sucks, and it's why Orton is succeeding now.

That's what I loved about Orton. He resembled Tom Brady... There are a lot of athletes out there (Jay Cutler), but not too many Football Players (Kyle Orton).

Not to mention, Kyle Orton is just an awesome human being, too. If the 2nd and 3rd parts of the season go as well as the first 1/3, I fully expect him to be in the Pro Bowl sans Brady.

Like your take on Orton, really no one knows how good this guy can get. His ceiling seems to get higher every week.