PDA

View Full Version : Chargers game: Don't get too high

Kaylore
10-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I love that everyone (for the most part) is on board with the Broncos now. However just as it was silly too get to down on the team before the season started, it's just as dumb to get too high with 11 games to play.

We've been here before and while I think we can all tell this isn't a team built to collapse like the previous years, it certainly is still a team in transition. I think if we keep winning, eventually the players' feelings of invincibility will result in them getting blind sided.

Enter San Diego.

All the hype is on us now and ESPN is going to pimp us all week to get as much out of that game as possible. People will talk down the Chargers and I suspect they've been fuming all bye week and know they CANNOT go down three and half to us.

Here's something else to consider:

On Monday Night Football, Rivers and Norv are 4-0.

With the exception of this year, three of those wins they won by a margin of twenty points or more.

Now Norv before being the coach of the Chargers was 1-4 on MNF, at one point losing three in one season, but clearly he and Rivers are doing better.

Chambers is down, but Jackson is coming strong and they still have Gates. Their line is getting better and LT is coming back healthy. Sproles killed us at home last year and seems to always come through in the clutch, especially on third down. And most of all, Rivers has had our number.

On defense they are soft, but they also create turnovers and that means more points for Rivers and company.

I do have hope because Shanahan is gone and Norv had a curious way of owning him and Cutler being gone might lift the jinx as well.

Regardless, it's going to be a tough game and the Chargers will be bringing it especially after getting ripped on and going in front of a national stage. We'll have had our players egos being stoked all week. I expect it to be like the last two games: Four quarters of tough football and the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

Stay hungry, Denver. Remember the things that got you here.

And fix special teams!

Spider
10-13-2009, 11:59 PM
meh............60 minutes of football all 3 phases ...........

Lev Vyvanse
10-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Shun the non-believer.

Broncojef
10-14-2009, 12:04 AM
McDaniels>>>Norv

SureShot
10-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I won't be upset if we lose or even get blown out. This team isn't going underrated and while there is nothing good about losing it can cement what happens when you don't play a full game.

Also think of all the great "disrespect" threads we will have when the media ranks the Broncos out of the top 10 in those stupid rankings.

baja
10-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I love that everyone (for the most part) is on board with the Broncos now. However just as it was silly to get to down on the team before the season started, it's just as dumb to get to high with 11 games to play.

We've been here before and while I think we can all tell this isn't a team built to collapse like the previous years, it certainly is still a team in transition. I think if we keep winning, eventually the players' feelings of invincibility will result in them getting blind sided.

Enter San Diego.

All the hype is on us now and ESPN is going to pimp us all week to get as much out of that game as possible. People will talk down the Chargers and I suspect they've been fuming all bye week and know they CANNOT go down three and half to us.

With the exception of this year, three of those wins they won by a margin of twenty points or more.

Now Norv before being the coach of the Chargers was 1-4 on MNF, at one point losing three in one season, but he clearly he and Rivers are doing better.

Chambers is down, but Jackson is coming strong and they still have Gates. Their line is getting better and LT is coming back healthy. Sproles killed us at home last year and seems to always come through in the clutch, especially on third down. And most of all, Rivers has had our number.

On defense they are soft, but they also create turnovers and that means more points for Rivers and company.

I do have hope because Shanahan is gone and Norv had a curious way of owning him and Cutler being gone might lift the jinx as well.

Regardless, it's going to be a tough game and the Chargers will be bringing it especially after getting ripped on and going in front of a national stage. We'll have had our players egos being stoked all week. I expect it to be like the last two games: Four quarters of tough football and the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

And fix special teams!

The scariest thing about the game is San Diego is a talented team that finds itself in a must win situation they will show up. It will be another war just as intense as NE game plus it's in their house.

I know I been saying 6 and 0 and I'm stickin with it but this will be the hardest fought game to date. My gut says McD will find a weakness to exploit

delany
10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Can't we just wait for the game to be over before we talk about anything bad that might happen?

....just channeling some TSI.

The MVPlaya
10-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Honestly - stay humble is what needs to happen. That's the difference as a fan base that would be interesting to see. That's why it's been so great to this point - BECAUSE of all the haters INCLUDING the Broncos fans that hated on their own team.

Going around gloating about a Broncos win - and if it doesn't happen in a case - you're walking yourself into a death trap going off on McD or whoever. Staying humble helps you stay at a realistic standpoint.

Sitting here saying we're gonna win etc - that's what happens at all the forums. Think about it - you'd be no different than the next person over at the SD forum.

SD is a team to be respected - even tho they've switched gears a little late in games this season - they've proven they can make plays.

I give them credit for having a good team - they've had trouble this season but they've proven they can be a winning football team and I expect a good game.

Especially coming off a bye week gives them a big advantage.

I expect a good game.

baja
10-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Their advantage is they need to win

Our advantage is Josh thinks outside the box and Norv doesn't

Advantage Broncos, exploited weakness trumps raw desire.

cutthemdown
10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Broncos are going to blow SD out. All those things Kaylore talked about is why our Broncos will be so fired up. Chargers been rubbing it in Broncos faces, they got a beat down coming.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-14-2009, 12:46 AM
i say every game from week 1 to week 16 is a test. i like the lack of respect the national media gives denver. they should list us as triple digit underdogs every week. makes it better when we do win we wont go 16-0 but we will get at least 10 wins if not more this season. hell i thoought this season was going to be a major rebuilding year with the new defense scheme drafting players letting a certain bawling qb go. i thought mcdaniels and bowlen has lost their minds.

hambone13
10-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Honestly - stay humble is what needs to happen. That's the difference as a fan base that would be interesting to see. That's why it's been so great to this point - BECAUSE of all the haters INCLUDING the Broncos fans that hated on their own team.

Going around gloating about a Broncos win - and if it doesn't happen in a case - you're walking yourself into a death trap going off on McD or whoever. Staying humble helps you stay at a realistic standpoint.

Sitting here saying we're gonna win etc - that's what happens at all the forums. Think about it - you'd be no different than the next person over at the SD forum.

SD is a team to be respected - even tho they've switched gears a little late in games this season - they've proven they can make plays.

I give them credit for having a good team - they've had trouble this season but they've proven they can be a winning football team and I expect a good game.

I expect a good game.

Have you been turning Tarot Cards on the Psychic threads?

hambone13
10-14-2009, 12:47 AM
i say every game from week 1 to week 16 is a test. i like the lack of respect the national media gives denver. they should list us as triple digit underdogs every week. makes it better when we do win we wont go 16-0 but we will get at least 10 wins if not more this season. hell i thoought this season was going to be a major rebuilding year with the new defense scheme drafting players letting a certain bawling qb go. i thought mcdaniels and bowlen has lost their minds.

This explains everything! :giggle:

PRBronco
10-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Yup, can't sleep on this one. Seems like in the 4th quarter this year, Rivers has been scoring at will, not cool.

dextermilo
10-14-2009, 01:03 AM
This game, if nothing else, will show us the holes in our defense!

maher_tyler
10-14-2009, 01:03 AM

Like running the ball straight down the middle of their D?! Attacking their corners?! When i first looked at the schedule i thought we'd lose this game. Now i've seen that Merriman isn't even a shell of his former self, the same goes for LT! Top that with an injury to Jamal Williams. Oh yea..and Norv is their coach. I know they've had our number but we haven't had a D like this since 05'. They're not going to march up and down the field like the past 3 years!

My prediction:

SD 93 Denver 0

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 01:05 AM
I don't smoke ;D

BMarsh615
10-14-2009, 01:26 AM
I wonder how much help Nunnely and Barrone will be able to give McDaniels and Nolan w/ the game plan

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 01:36 AM
i can't look at recent history with this game to know what to expect. With Mike gone, Cutler gone, and the defense that Sproles, LT, Rivers, Gates and Jackson all loved to beat on is no more. i'm not even talking about how we have the best D in the league, just that, it can no longer be assumed that Sproles or LT will have big games against our D, because the scheme, coaches, players everything about it is completely different.

the last few years record against SD is meaningless. this is an entirely new era between these teams and history can't be used to pick a winner.

hambone13
10-14-2009, 01:54 AM

I expect a good game.

Jeez, save the cheese for the national interview

Taco John
10-14-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm with Kaylore. There's no reason to doubt that we can beat any team in this league at this point. But there's also no reason to ignore history either. There are three demons in recent team history that this team needs to excorsize: The Chargers, The Steelers, and of course, The Colts.

This week is another statement game.

hambone13
10-14-2009, 01:55 AM

LOL, welcome rookie

hambone13
10-14-2009, 01:57 AM
i can't look at recent history with this game to know what to expect. With Mike gone, Cutler gone, and the defense that Sproles, LT, Rivers, Gates and Jackson all loved to beat on is no more. i'm not even talking about how we have the best D in the league, just that, it can no longer be assumed that Sproles or LT will have big games against our D, because the scheme, coaches, players everything about it is completely different.

the last few years record against SD is meaningless. this is an entirely new era between these teams and history can't be used to pick a winner.

I love it when I don't have to state the obvious....what sucks is when it sounds redundant and you think you could have done it a wiiiiiiiitle bit better.......oh no wait...a LOT better.

hambone13
10-14-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm with Kaylore. There's no reason to doubt that we can beat any team in this league at this point. But there's also no reason to ignore history either. There are three demons in recent team history that this team needs to excorsize: The Chargers, The Steelers, and of course, The Colts.

This week is another statement game.

Franchise game......sign.....seal and Deliver.....

There is a significance for whatever individual situational reasons for statistics to shed light on thoughts to be had in the NFL but this is not one of them.....mostly because we just don't know.... statistically ..... cause right now we have statistic anomalies?

Bronco LB52
10-14-2009, 02:01 AM
This is going to be the most hostile environment the Broncos have played in to date. I am worried about this game too.

Bronco LB52
10-14-2009, 02:09 AM

You're right, it's the 2009 Broncos versus the 2009 Chargers. Denver isn't playing the same Chargers team that went 14-2 or to the AFC Championship Game. And they aren't playing our 7-9 2007 squad either.

Even if Denver is two and half games ahead, I feel like San Diego is still the King of the Throne. Until the Broncos prove otherwise, the Chargers are still the conquerors of the division. The only way to end their reign is by beating them and leaving them battered in the rear view mirror.

hambone13
10-14-2009, 02:16 AM

I expect a good game.

Just call him "Pat" the knower of the known"....

cutthemdown
10-14-2009, 02:39 AM
This is going to be the most hostile environment the Broncos have played in to date. I am worried about this game too.

I worry about every game and its always been that way. I can't remember ever not having that feeling before a game that anything can happen.

Chargers have shown many times they can be a jeckyl and hyde type team. As forrest would say, the chargers are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

19Morton77
10-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Road game. Division rival. Reigning West Champs. QB that has owned us. MNF game. These are why we can lose.

New attitude. 5 and 0. Best defense. Ugly unis will scare them. Better coach. They suck at running now. These are reasone why we cant lose.

I like our chances this time around. If we lose, it isnt the end of the world. We win and we might have a 4 game lead after the bye week. Not too bad for a "dismal" year.

meangene
10-14-2009, 03:17 AM
My biggest concern is that we are coming off of two big emotional wins and, in reality, San Diego needs this game more than we do. It is a desperation game for a talented division rival in their house. This is one where we can't afford to get down early.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
10-14-2009, 03:30 AM
After watching our defense hold Tom Brady and the Pats scoreless for an entire half, it's hard to imagine SD's offense faring much better.

BroncoInSkinland
10-14-2009, 04:48 AM
We are playing the guys who were projected to win our division.

At thier house.

On Monday night.

With an early stranglehold (4 game lead with a tiebreaker and home game against them still to go) on the division to be decided.

Against the biggest division rival we have had for 5 years running.

Who have beaten us down almost every time we have played them in that time period.

No pressure, after all what could go wrong?

I know this game could be a loss, going into it with the momentum we have I doubt it, but I am definately prepared for the possibility. Also, this is not a make or break game for OUR team (it very well might be for thiers though). We have performed exceedingly well so far this season, destroying many of the preconcieved notions about our young team. Notions held both by national sporstcasters, and those within our own ranks, myself among them.

I am vowing right now not to use a loss this week as a reason to return to some of the negative views I had about the team. They have come to far, and performed to well up to this point to do them that diservice. They get a bye, at least from me, even if they do poorly this week. All that being said, I hope they go out and stomp a hole in some Charger ass this week, those damned Boltheads have had it coming for a while now.

dbfan21
10-14-2009, 06:06 AM
We are playing the guys who were projected to win our division.

At thier house.

On Monday night.

With an early stranglehold (4 game lead with a tiebreaker and home game against them still to go) on the division to be decided.

Against the biggest division rival we have had for 5 years running.

Who have beaten us down almost every time we have played them in that time period.

No pressure, after all what could go wrong?

I know this game could be a loss, going into it with the momentum we have I doubt it, but I am definately prepared for the possibility. Also, this is not a make or break game for OUR team (it very well might be for thiers though). We have performed exceedingly well so far this season, destroying many of the preconcieved notions about our young team. Notions held both by national sporstcasters, and those within our own ranks, myself among them.

I am vowing right now not to use a loss this week as a reason to return to some of the negative views I had about the team. They have come to far, and performed to well up to this point to do them that diservice. They get a bye, at least from me, even if they do poorly this week. All that being said, I hope they go out and stomp a hole in some Charger ass this week, those damned Boltheads have had it coming for a while now.

Good points man. I agree with you on pretty much everything you said. One of the bigger factors influencing this game is going to be PRIDE. The Broncos got crushed in week 17 last year and missed the playoffs.

While a lot of this Broncos squad was not playing in that game, the sting still lingers for the franchise. This team is going to be blood thirsty for revenge and seeking redeption in the eyes of the national fan base.

Conversely, the Chargers are backed into a corner and, while they have a knack of making comebacks (both late in games and seasons), they are not going to resting easy for this one.

I think they are going to give the Broncos their best shot and we need to be ready for a diverse game plan and just hang tough in the first quarter, possibly two. We got down by 10 points to both Dallas and NE before coming back to win.

I feel confident McDaniels will have the players ready with a gameplan that will exploit the Chargers' weaknesses. With injuries and losses in Free Agency, this SD team is not as solid as they were late last year. The game is winnable, but we may have to withstand an intense attack in the beginning. The Broncos should come out attacking their defense through the air, get some points on the board and then control TOP by utilizing Moreno, Hillis and Jordan.

Go Broncos!!

RunSilentRunDeep
10-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Too high? Nope, the Broncos have an extra day to come down from the Pats and there are plenty of screwups on the film for players to eat. The Chargers home field blows, seats are too far back and a third of the fans will be cheering for Denver.

A bye week isn't going to help the Chargers defensive and offensive lines from getting manhandled. They may play their assignments better. But they're not getting significantly stronger in a week.

Pittsburgh put up 497 yards on them.

Being underdogs (again), playing on MNF and chance to go 3 1/2 games up in the division is more than enough for Denver to come out razor sharp.

Hogan11
10-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I........am........not........worried.......about. ......the...........Chargers.

A mantra to be repeated 10000x this week.

Beantown Bronco
10-14-2009, 06:34 AM
I won't be upset if we lose or even get blown out.

Speak for yourself.

while there is nothing good about losing it can cement what happens when you don't play a full game.

I'd rather learn lessons after a win than learn them after a loss.

TheDave
10-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Stay Hungry

ARE YOU FEELING THE FIRE?
ARE YOU READY TO EXPLODE?
ARE YOUR DREAMS AND DESIRES
RIDING DOWN AN OPEN ROAD?
I'M LIKE A RUNAWAY
A HEART WITHOUT A HOME
OTHERS CAN LAUGH AND PLAY
I'LL FIGHT FOR EVERY INCH I TAKE
I'M DESPERATE TO THE BONE

STAY HUNGRY
FEEL THE FIRE
STAY HUNGRY
DON'T EXPLODE
STAY HUNGRY
WITH DESIRE
STAY HUNGRY YOU'RE ALONE

BE THE HUNTER AND THE HUNTED
KEEP YOUR TARGET IN YOUR SIGHT
DON'T BE SIDE TRACKED OR SHUNTED
LET PRETENDERS FEEL YOUR BITE
AND IF YOU START TO SLIDE
NEVER SHOW YOU'RE WEAK
DON'T FEEL YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE
REMEMBER WHAT YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR
REMEMBER WHAT YOU SEEK

STAY HUNGRY
FEEL THE FIRE
STAY HUNGRY
DON'T EXPLODE
STAY HUNGRY
WITH DESIRE
STAY HUNGRY YOU'RE ALONE

IF YOUR FIRE IS FADED
AND YOU CAN'T FEEL IT NO MORE
IF YOU'RE TIRED AND OVERRATED
LET ME SHOW YOU TO THE DOOR
EXPECT NO SYMPATHY
THERE'S NONE TO BE HAD
OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE
THERE'S NO ROOM FOR THE WANNABEES.
THE HAS BEENS OR THE BAD

STAY HUNGRY
FEEL THE FIRE
STAY HUNGRY
DON'T EXPLODE
STAY HUNGRY
WITH DESIRE
STAY HUNGRY YOU'RE ALONE

Punisher
10-14-2009, 06:39 AM
McD is gonna out Coach Norv, even if we start off bad McD and Mikey are really good on half time adjustments, Also once again we our underdogs by 3 points. Dawkins is gonna feed off that in get the D on Manic Mode.

I think it's gonna be a good game because Rivers is an ok QB the ****ing fag, man i hate him i hope Dawkins kills him and as for that little midget please someone just turn him into dust.

Mr. Elway
10-14-2009, 06:49 AM
I agree, and you have to look no further than the Steelers game last week to see how dangerous SD is if you lose focus and give them opportunities. This is going to be another test for McDaniels, and I trust him to keep the team together and focused for the big, hyped game.

We do have another thing going for us though: More than a few of these Broncos have been burned badly by the Chargers the last couple of years. You think guys like Marshall and Dumerville might be ready to play? I think they will come out with a fire in their hearts. Marshall has publically stated his desire for us to take back ownership of this division.

This is a game we should win. Not an easy win by any means, but with all else being equal I think we outmatch them this year. If we can do it, on the national stage, in their house, with their having every advantage including an extra week to prepare... then the AFC West is ours to lose.

Broncoman13
10-14-2009, 06:51 AM
The scariest thing about the game is San Diego is a talented team that finds itself in a must win situation they will show up. It will be another war just as intense as NE game plus it's in their house.

I know I been saying 6 and 0 and I'm stickin with it but this will be the hardest fought game to date. My gut says McD will find a weakness to exploit

I think McD will find a way to take advantage of the Chargers... with Williams out and Castillo and Merriman playing poorly I'm guessing it will be running the ball their way. That works to keep the ball away from the Chargers strength as well... So there you have it. Lots of running in this game. I'd say probably 35-40 carries for our stable of backs.

BroncoFiend
10-14-2009, 06:51 AM
I expect it to be like the last two games: Four quarters of tough football and the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

I'm pretty sure the Broncos made more mistakes this past week, but they still pulled out the victory.

That said, the Chargers are a solid team and this is a divisional game on the road. Even when the talent is lopsided (which it is not in this case), the home team always gets a sizable advantage when divisional opponets play. Add to that the fact that the Chargers need this game bad, and I think it equals our toughest test to date.

I hope we pull it out, but I will not think less of this team if we don't.

oubronco
10-14-2009, 06:58 AM
This should be a great game as long as we don't spot them 10-17 points at the first of the game and they are a better second half team as well as our defense is it will come down to who makes the best ingame adjustments and plays more physical

CEH
10-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Everthing has changed with expections this year after starting 5-0

New era . New 3-4 defense. BDawk

I hope Denver treats this as a playoff game.
Records smrecords.
Brady had never lost a OT game either

It's never as good as you think and never as bad but we have a chance to put a dagger in our closest competion. 3 conference losses and a division loss would be a death blow for SD.

We need a new attitude here. Tiger Woods-ish who will step on your throat once your down and won't let you up.

cmhargrove
10-14-2009, 07:15 AM

Well, another advantage is that Josh is a lot better looking than Norv...

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Just go into SD with the underdog "label" (Thanks to the media) and "do your job".

The "high and mighty" chuggers are backed into a corner, and will, battle tooth and nail to the end.

We knew from the time the NFL released the schedule that this season wasn't a cake walk.

Time for some "SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL". Rivers needs to go down, hard and often.

cmhargrove
10-14-2009, 07:22 AM
I believe that the Chargers have always done a great job in the second half, and this game will go down to the wire.

That is the great difference between this year, and last year's debacle in SD.

People need to stop worrying about all the "emotional letdown" stuff this year. If you listen to the coaches and players, they are all done with their emotions each Monday, and are busy with hard preparation for the next week.

Does anyone here think Josh doesn't understand that this game is even more important than last game? Winning your division always comes first. Last week, it was reported that they had six hour practice sessions on situational football to be prepared for everything. I feel like they are taking the Chargers as serious as a heart attack.

We may lose, but if we do it will be by inches, not a mile...

spdirty
10-14-2009, 07:23 AM
After watching our defense hold Tom Brady and the Pats scoreless for an entire half, it's hard to imagine SD's offense faring much better.

Yep. Although Brady did miss Moss and Welker for touchdowns, which left 11 points out there for em, cant argue with the hard results. Especially with the 3 punt drive.

Thing that gets me about San Diego is that they have no running back. They are 32 in the league in rushing. That offense is 1 dimmensional.

I think if we can just get to halftime either leading or close to them, let Nolan make adjustments, and we should roll in the second half.

I can't wait for this game to start. Should be a damn good one.

outdoor_miner
10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
We may lose, but if we do it will be by inches, not a mile...

Exactly - all teams lose games in this league. The Broncos are likely going to lose 4 to 6 games this year, and that would be a great year! I think my biggest frustration the last few years was the blowouts. The games where we are absolutely destroyed and the team looked like they didn't belong.

I will be greatly disappointed when we lose our first game. However, I'll be able to deal with it if we continue playing good football.

Here's hoping that our first loss isn't on Monday! It sure seems like the Chargers are beatable, but I'm sure our team looks beatable, too.

Spider
10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
reading this game all wrong ............Look we went down 10-0 to the cowboys and what happened ?
went down 10-0 against a very good Patriots team what happened ?
what was the 2 things....that happened ......

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 07:35 AM
reading this game all wrong ............Look we went down 10-0 to the cowboys and what happened ?
went down 10-0 against a very good Patriots team what happened ?
what was the 2 things....that happened ......

You are ****ING up the KARMA.:wiggle:

Beantown Bronco
10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Rivers needs to go down, hard and often.

............like Kyle Orton in the back of a limo.

Spider
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
You are ****ING up the KARMA.:wiggle:

LOL..........doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am an Idiot

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
............like Kyle Orton in the back of a limo.

LOL

Just goes to show you that drinking swill (Jack) will make you do **** you will regret for the rest of your life.:~ohyah!:

Rohirrim
10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Before the game on Monday, McD should sit all the players down and have them watch the last game of last year: 52 - 21. Utter collapse. The first team in NFL history to be three games up in their division and lose all three final games to fall out of the playoffs. If I'm the coach, I'm selling a major revenge factor.

TonyR
10-14-2009, 07:40 AM
...there is some other recent history to give faith the Chargers can salvage their season on “Monday Night Football.”

The Chargers have a penchant for winning games they have to, especially those played in prime time at Qualcomm Stadium.

They won four of their five regular-season night games last year, a last-second November loss to Indianapolis being the only blemish (they later beat the Colts at night in a wild-card playoff game). The victories were all imperative.

The Chargers were 0-2, and Denver was 3-0 when the Chargers faced the New York Jets on a Monday night last September. Chargers 48, Jets 29.

Three weeks after that game, the Chargers were 2-3 with Denver at 4-2. The Chargers routed the Patriots 30-10 on Sunday night.

The Chargers were 4-6, three games behind Denver, when they welcomed Oakland to town on a Thursday night and beat the Raiders 34-7.

And on a game changed to a Sunday night because of its importance, with the winner headed to the playoffs, the Chargers pretty much used the Broncos as a chew toy in a 52-21 victory on Dec. 28.

“Your back is up against the wall, we're going to come out swinging,” cornerback Quentin Jammer said.

Why the Chargers can't do that every game (or even most games) is a question for another time.

For now, there is urgency.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/12/n84823-chargers-acee12/?chargers

Vegas_Bronco
10-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Shut down Gates and the Fast Midget and we win this thing. Rivers has no idea how inconsistent his night will be.

Plus, I think we'll have Bucky back...anyone know for sure yet?

With the internal defensive struggles (and this defense is bad), there is no way this team makes the playoffs this year. Your wild cards will be from the AFC North (Bengals/Ravens/Steelers) or AFC East (Jets/Pats)

Chargers 3rd Down Percentage allowed: 49%
Broncos 3rd Down Percentage allowed: 28.4%

....Chargers are one dimensional team at best both on offense and in the passing game. They can't run yet due to Norv's focused playcalling of running the ball when LT is in the game - allowing teams to focus on the run and stack the box. You know 80% of the time that LT is in the game he's going to get the rock and Norv hasn't figured out how to use him as a decoy at all. The fast midget, therefore, has had a much better season.

San Diego is averaging 53 yards rushing per game and 295 in the air.....I'd say we can expect a heavy dose of the pass, screens, and short game passing. If we get on rivers quick and consistently, they'll have to change to the short game. The scary part of this is that we didn't do that early against Brady and things almost got out of hand in the first half as the Patriots blew open the game early with a quick 10-0 lead. We can't do that again against SD at home.

AJ Smith may have been our saving grace in creating 'the stir' in the Chargers defense. I don't think one defender in the SD defense BELIEVES or has CONFIDENCE in their defensive system - they have not stopped one team all season and so a quick start on our part would be an instant morale defeat for the Bolts.

Tombstone RJ
10-14-2009, 07:48 AM
...there is some other recent history to give faith the Chargers can salvage their season on “Monday Night Football.”

The Chargers have a penchant for winning games they have to, especially those played in prime time at Qualcomm Stadium.

They won four of their five regular-season night games last year, a last-second November loss to Indianapolis being the only blemish (they later beat the Colts at night in a wild-card playoff game). The victories were all imperative.

The Chargers were 0-2, and Denver was 3-0 when the Chargers faced the New York Jets on a Monday night last September. Chargers 48, Jets 29.

Three weeks after that game, the Chargers were 2-3 with Denver at 4-2. The Chargers routed the Patriots 30-10 on Sunday night.

The Chargers were 4-6, three games behind Denver, when they welcomed Oakland to town on a Thursday night and beat the Raiders 34-7.

And on a game changed to a Sunday night because of its importance, with the winner headed to the playoffs, the Chargers pretty much used the Broncos as a chew toy in a 52-21 victory on Dec. 28.

“Your back is up against the wall, we're going to come out swinging,” cornerback Quentin Jammer said.

Why the Chargers can't do that every game (or even most games) is a question for another time.

For now, there is urgency.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/12/n84823-chargers-acee12/?chargers

Are the chugger's backs against the wall already? Well, let me refresh my prediction:

SD: 49
Den: 1 (not sure how this happens but I'll leave it to the refs)

gunns
10-14-2009, 07:51 AM

Another of SD's advantages lately is the SH factor, **** happens. I figured our losses would come in Qualcomm and Arrowhead. But the nice thing is I have faith they can pull it out. I sure hope so.

Old Dude
10-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I think they are really missing Hardwick and Williams and it showed against the Steelers. They've had a bye week to work on adjustments, so I don't expect them to look as bad this week.

The Chargers are favored by four, so I don't see how the Broncos can view themselves as anything but underdogs. True, Denver has upset Dallas, Cincinnati and New England, but all of those games were nail-biters. I don't think the Broncos can spot San Diego ten points and still hope to win like they have the past two weeks.

TotallyScrewed
10-14-2009, 07:56 AM
It still cracks me up that people (Kaylore for one) are still hating on Shanahan and Cutler. Do you guys have an alternate ending???

Move the **** on already.

At least you've come around to loving you some Marshall...for the most part.

Here's what I think of the SD game...

Three things:
1) Work the ball to Marshall and let him score. Keep them off balance with the running attack.
2) Play defense the way they have been.
3) Right the ST ship.

Pretty simple. Broncos win again.

snowtrx
10-14-2009, 08:14 AM
A good statistical look at the game....found on a chargers board

Chargers offense is #10 total having played

Oakland = #31 total D with 382 ypg avg (SD 317yds)
Baltimore = #10 total D with 314 ypg avg (SD 474yds)
Miami = #8 total D with 301.4 ypg avg (SD 355yds)
Pittsburg = #4 total D with 290.8 ypg avg (SD 251yds)

Combined = 322ypg avg, 3 teams in the top 10 (SD 349.25)

SD +27.25 above opposing teams avg

Broncos defense is #2 total having played

Cincinnati = #18 total O with 335.4ypg avg (DEN 307)
Cleveland = #31 total O with 248.4ypg avg (DEN 200)
Oakland = #32 total O with 191.6ypg avg (DEN 137)
Dallas = #1 total O with 420.4ypg avg (DEN 315)
New England = #9 total O with 361.8ypg avg (DEN 305)

Combined = 311.5ypg avg, 2 teams in the top ten (DEN 252.8)

DEN +58.7 above opposing teams avg

Head to Head = DEN +31.45yds advantage over our O

Broncos offense is #6 total having played

Cincinnati = #17 total D with 327.6ypg avg (DEN 302)
Cleveland = #29 total D with 380.2ypg avg (DEN 449)
Oakland = #31 total D with 382ypg avg (DEN 372)
Dallas = #21 total D with 357.8ypg avg (DEN 337)
New England = #11 total D with 314.8ypg avg (DEN 424)

Combined = 352.8ypg avg, no teams in the top ten (DEN 376.8)

DEN +24 over opposing teams avg

Chargers defense is #26 total having played

Oakland = #32 total O with 191.6ypg avg (SD 366)
Baltimore = #5 total O with 382.2ypg avg (SD 311)
Miami = #15 total O with 340ypg avg (SD 289)
Pittsburg = #7 total O with 375.8ypg avg (SD 497)

Combined = 322.4ypg avg, 2 teams in the top ten (365.75)

SD -43.4 below opposing teams avg

Head to Head = DEN +67.4yds advantage over our D

SD scores 1 point per every 13.83yds gained

DEN scores 1 point per every 19.03yds gained

SD’s O avg ypg minus DEN’s advantage is 317.75yds for SD

DEN’s O avg ypg plus DEN’s advantage is 444.3yds for DEN

Final score for Monday Night’s game?

SD = 22.98
DEN= 23.35

The outcome of this game is obvious, as the Broncos are going to dominate the LOS.

Vegas_Bronco
10-14-2009, 08:14 AM
It still cracks me up that people (Kaylore for one) are still hating on Shanahan and Cutler. Do you guys have an alternate ending???

At least you've come around to loving you some Marshall...for the most part.

Here's what I think of the SD game...

Three things:
1) Work the ball to Marshall and let him score. Keep them off balance with the running attack.
2) Play defense the way they have been.
3) Right the ST ship.

Pretty simple. Broncos win again.

I don't think they are 'hating', they just know that the Cutler and Shanny relationship was as unhealthy as any in the league or in this clubhouse.

baja
10-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Broncos are going to blow SD out. All those things Kaylore talked about is why our Broncos will be so fired up. Chargers been rubbing it in Broncos faces, they got a beat down coming.

Actually in the long run it might be better if we lose this one. If we win the division race is all but over and it would be a perfect setup for a let down. We are winning because all the players are leaving everything on the field. It's a fragile physiology we have going.

On second thought kick their sorry asses!!!!

Beantown Bronco
10-14-2009, 08:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_qD9uZ8kB8

mr007
10-14-2009, 08:23 AM
A good statistical look at the game....found on a chargers board

Those stats are completely retarded. You cannot judge stats based on a teams O or D ranking without completely analyzing each and every team that team has played and going on and on and on.

If a team has a 20ish D, but played a bunch of top notch O's that makes a difference. Again if that team has a 20ish D, has played a bunch of top notch O's that have played a bunch of 20+ish D, that makes another difference. To take it a step further, if a team has a 20ish D, played a top notch O that played a bunch of top notch D's, another difference.

The layers of analysis to make those stats even somewhat relevant are way too complex to be covered by the minute basis they have been in that post.

Basically, those stats are useless.

mr007
10-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Can't we just wait for the game to be over before we talk about anything bad that might happen?

....just channeling some TSI.

You for got the retard, moron, dip****, idiot, go root for another team part of this.

ZONA
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
The Broncos have not gotten to 5-0 by being humble. They are 5-0 because they are prepared by a coach who leaves nothing to chance.

As Dawkins would say, the Broncos are going to go into Qualcom and TAKE IT. They don't want the Chargers to give us anything. We will be taking it.

We've loaned them top dog spot in the AFC West for a few years now and they've not done anything with it so we need to take it back.

snowtrx
10-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Those stats are completely retarded.

Basically, those stats are useless.

I ain't mad at ya, but you obviously didn't look at the stats, as they are purely weighted against their competition. That's what makes them....Interesting.

Besides, my opinion of the game is 100% accurate. Go Broncos!

baja
10-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Before the game on Monday, McD should sit all the players down and have them watch the last game of last year: 52 - 21. Utter collapse. The first team in NFL history to be three games up in their division and lose all three final games to fall out of the playoffs. If I'm the coach, I'm selling a major revenge factor.

Except 80% of these guys had nothing to do with that. ^5

SonOfLe-loLang
10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I think Kaylore is alluding that this might be a letdown game for the broncos, but it really doesn't fit the criteria. This is a san diego team that absolutely embarrassed us on the national stage last year and, yes, though half that team is gone, half remains. Also, since its Monday night and we still have our doubters, this is the first time these broncos will be on a national stage (since the chicago preseason game) which I believe always gives players a little extra motivation. I think the broncos will come out on FIRE for this game knowing that if they win, they have an enormous cushion.

SD has had our number recently and they might very well win the game (there's zero shame in losing this one), but i dont think we'll get blown out. I think these two teams will beat the living **** out of each other.

As for the chargers, im not sure why you say their line is suddenly getting better, its been pretty soft all year. Also, to be honest, i hope we get a healthy LT for this game...whatever takes carries away from their other guys who scare me more.

But hey, this is a divisional game and anything can happen in these types. At the end of the day, Rivers probably keeps them in all their games this year and this one will be no exception. If the broncos keep playing smart, disciplined football, i'm sure we'll have the opportunity to win the game come the 4th quarter.

baja
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Another of SD's advantages lately is the SH factor, **** happens. I figured our losses would come in Qualcomm and Arrowhead. <b> But the nice thing is I have faith they can pull it out. I sure hope so.

This is what is great about this team.

BroncoInSkinland
10-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I think Kaylore is amused by the extremist nature of the mane this off season, we went from having the worst off season ever and being screwed for the next decade to having the playoffs locked in 5 games. I think this is an almost direct response to the "When did you become a believer" thread that shows a majority on here believe we are going to the playoffs. I think Kaylore is saying don't get your hopes up too high, then let a loss in this one game smash them to the ground. I could be wrong, but I think that is one of the themes behind his OP. I also think Kaylore went a bit overboard on that. A lot of the people in the Believer thread were responding more to the idea of when they thought we COULD be a playoff team, not that they are convinced we already are. But I really don't want to put words in Kaylores mouth, he is perfectly capable of letting us all know what he thinks, so take the above as MY views on the situation, not necessarily his.

DenverBrit
10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Denver at San Diego

DEN 6th OFF; SD 26th DEF

DEN 5th RUN; SD 27th VS. RUN

DEN 15th PASS; SD 12th VS. PASS

DEN 21st PTS; SD 25th PTS ALLOWED

SD 10th OFF; DEN 2nd DEF

SD 32nd RUN; DEN 6th VS. RUN

SD 2nd PASS; DEN 5th VS. PASS

SD 10th PTS; DEN 1st PTS ALLOWED

SD 10th TO/TA; DEN 4th TO/TA

DEN HAS BEGUN 5-0 FOR THE 1ST TIME SINCE 1998.

KYLE ORTON HAS THROWN 7 TDS AND JUST 1 INT.

PHILIP RIVERS IS AVERAGING 311.2 PASSING YARDS PER GAME.

SD IS AVERAGING A LEAGUE-WORST 53.8 RUSHING YARDS PER GAME.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/13/week-six-matchup-tidbits

Crushaholic
10-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Stay Hungry

ARE YOU FEELING THE FIRE?
ARE YOU READY TO EXPLODE?
ARE YOUR DREAMS AND DESIRES
RIDING DOWN AN OPEN ROAD?
I'M LIKE A RUNAWAY
A HEART WITHOUT A HOME
OTHERS CAN LAUGH AND PLAY
I'LL FIGHT FOR EVERY INCH I TAKE
I'M DESPERATE TO THE BONE

STAY HUNGRY
FEEL THE FIRE
STAY HUNGRY
DON'T EXPLODE
STAY HUNGRY
WITH DESIRE
STAY HUNGRY YOU'RE ALONE

BE THE HUNTER AND THE HUNTED
KEEP YOUR TARGET IN YOUR SIGHT
DON'T BE SIDE TRACKED OR SHUNTED
LET PRETENDERS FEEL YOUR BITE
AND IF YOU START TO SLIDE
NEVER SHOW YOU'RE WEAK
DON'T FEEL YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE
REMEMBER WHAT YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR
REMEMBER WHAT YOU SEEK

STAY HUNGRY
FEEL THE FIRE
STAY HUNGRY
DON'T EXPLODE
STAY HUNGRY
WITH DESIRE
STAY HUNGRY YOU'RE ALONE

IF YOUR FIRE IS FADED
AND YOU CAN'T FEEL IT NO MORE
IF YOU'RE TIRED AND OVERRATED
LET ME SHOW YOU TO THE DOOR
EXPECT NO SYMPATHY
THERE'S NONE TO BE HAD
OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE
THERE'S NO ROOM FOR THE WANNABEES.
THE HAS BEENS OR THE BAD

STAY HUNGRY
FEEL THE FIRE
STAY HUNGRY
DON'T EXPLODE
STAY HUNGRY
WITH DESIRE
STAY HUNGRY YOU'RE ALONE

This should be the theme for the year. In fact, I might play some Twisted Sister in the car going home tonight...:notworthy

MplsBronco
10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
This is a statement game. I fully expect us to show up and if we lose it will be close. I can see it being a 10+ point win however for the good guys. You better believe McD will have this team fired up for a crucial divisional road game.

Old Dude
10-14-2009, 09:08 AM

I was curious and double-checked.

Kern, Prater, Stokely, Royal, Marshall, C. Bailey, J. Williams, Larsen, Hillis, Hamilton, DJ Williams, Woodyard, Weigmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Clady, Thomas, Scheffler, Graham, Peterson, Dumervil and Moss.

Not sure about McBean & Haggan.

But it looks like about half of that team is still here.

BlaK-Argentina
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
The Broncos have not gotten to 5-0 by being humble. They are 5-0 because they are prepared by a coach who leaves nothing to chance.

As Dawkins would say, the Broncos are going to go into Qualcom and TAKE IT. They don't want the Chargers to give us anything. We will be taking it.

We've loaned them top dog spot in the AFC West for a few years now and they've not done anything with it so we need to take it back.

Agree. This Broncos team fears no one, respects everyone and goes all out in every snap. I'm not more worried about this game than any other. Hope the Broncos pull it out!

Rohirrim
10-14-2009, 09:18 AM

They disrespected the team. They must pay! :~ohyah!:

SportinOne
10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Guys... I hate to break it to you but:

1. Our pre-game excitement has nothing to do with the outcome of this game.
2. The players and coaches of the Denver Broncos know exactly who the Chargers are. They are the only team standing in the way of them and the postseason. Trust me, they understand the importance of this game.
3. Past results do not have any influence on this game.
4. For **** sake, can we drop the elementary school **** already? We are 5 - 0. We beat the Cobwboys, Patriots, and Bengals. Let's be happy.

Broncos 27 Chargers 17

Kaylore
10-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I think Kaylore is amused by the extremist nature of the mane this off season, we went from having the worst off season ever and being screwed for the next decade to having the playoffs locked in 5 games. I think this is an almost direct response to the "When did you become a believer" thread that shows a majority on here believe we are going to the playoffs. I think Kaylore is saying don't get your hopes up too high, then let a loss in this one game smash them to the ground. I could be wrong, but I think that is one of the themes behind his OP. I also think Kaylore went a bit overboard on that. A lot of the people in the Believer thread were responding more to the idea of when they thought we COULD be a playoff team, not that they are convinced we already are. But I really don't want to put words in Kaylores mouth, he is perfectly capable of letting us all know what he thinks, so take the above as MY views on the situation, not necessarily his.

This was a definitely a part of it, and FYI I never want to suggest that people hope or believe we CAN'T make the playoffs. We should always hope for those things and when you start 5-0 it's statistically improbable that you aren't at least a wild card team. I was more speaking to the first part of your post where this fan base runs on extremes. After every loss it's "fire so-and-so" and after every win it's "we're going to the Super Bowl." And it's not like I haven't been guilty of the same thing, I just think this season has been the worst it's every been, and I wanted show some perspective.

Also speaking to the game itself, I'm not predicting a loss. I just think it will be really hard to beat the Chargers on MNF in Qualcomm (or however it's spelled.) As someone mentioned earlier, we don't need this game as much that Chargers do. It's almost a must win for them because they don't want to be playing catch up and have to need to beat us in our house several weeks from now.

And I'm still amazed that people are completely missing the boat.
It still cracks me up that people (Kaylore for one) are still hating on Shanahan and Cutler. Do you guys have an alternate ending?

I didn't "hate on" Shanahan and Cutler. I pointed out that we had two people who struggled against Norv and Rivers (that's a fact) gone. Norv Turner, even with the Raiders, seemed to find ways to beat Shanahan. And Cutler has only won one time against the Chargers, the Hochuli game, and in all the other games against San Diego he's played like dog crap. That's fact. You think six points in one season is playing well? Quit getting all defensive anytime something negative is mentioned about Cutler and Shanahan, especially when it's true and in the context of the discussion.

In time we'll see if our rebuilt team alters the outcome. It might not, but I certainly feel better about this game than I have in several years.

SportinOne
10-14-2009, 09:27 AM
The Chargers need to do one of two things to beat us.

Either:

A. Establish the run game like the Pats did. Unlike the Pats, they need to cash in when they get the shot to go downfield.

or

B. Screens. Catching us off balance with Sproles could be deadly. But this alone will not beat us. For this to work, they need to shut down our offense or at least make some key plays on defense.

P.S. Speaking of screens, guess which play our offense will likely see a lot of now that we aren't playing a team that knows our offense front to back? And do we bring back the wild horse? I didn't think about it at the time, but using the wild horse last weekend also gave the Chargers more to plan for. Since it was mostly successful, it makes their job even more difficult. I hope that Moreno has the option to pass if he wants to, that could really be interesting.

BroncoInSkinland
10-14-2009, 09:29 AM
FYI I never want to suggest that people hope or believe we can't make the playoffs.

What I was saying there was that I thought that you thought it was a bit early to be talking about the playoffs like we had them locked up. Glad I got the rest of it pretty close though. :)

Kaylore
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
What I was saying there was that I thought that you thought it was a bit early to be talking about the playoffs like we had them locked up. Glad I got the rest of it pretty close though. :)

DOH! That should read "Can't" not can.

And I also wasn't suggesting that our expectations dictate the outcome. Like if we the fans take them lightly the players will lose somehow. That was never my point.

Crushaholic
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm guessing Orton won't let Rivers get into his head like Rivers was with Cutler...

Broncomutt
10-14-2009, 09:40 AM
With Shanny finally gone, the team seems to have new life. I don't see any reason to continue thinking we aren't in these guys league anymore.

I think we can beat the Chargers and will be rooting for it as such.

Shame I'm flying all the way to Southern California on Sunday and I won't be able to attend the game.

fdf
10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Are the chugger's backs against the wall already? Well, let me refresh my prediction:

SD: 49
Den: 1 (not sure how this happens but I'll leave it to the refs)

They'll take away one point on a safety to punish us for being mean to Tom Teriffic in OT last week.

Irish Stout
10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm guessing Orton won't let Rivers get into his head like Rivers was with Cutler...

Orton is pretty stoic, he is never overly excited and he is never overly depressed. Cutler was often so forelorn on the sideline you just knew he had lost his game.

WolfpackGuy
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
They just need to put up points early, pin their ears back, and pass rush the **** out of Phyllis.

BroncoInSkinland
10-14-2009, 10:01 AM
DOH! That should read "Can't" not can.

And I also wasn't suggesting that our expectations dictate the outcome. Like if we the fans take them lightly the players will lose somehow. That was never my point.

No, I wasn't suggesting you thought the mane "mojo" would effect the outcomes of games, or that somehow fan's rosy outlooks could cause players to look past other games or anything along those lines. I thought you were addressing the rapid fluctuations in peoples views of the Broncos, and pointing out that predicting playoffs was potentially premature. It seems to me like a good way to have your hopes dashed (not that I think we will lose this game either, but it is possible we could drop this one, and likely that we WILL drop one or more somewhere along the line). To use a Washington phrase, much like Jim Zorn, you are embracing the "Stay Medium" philosophy, which I don't disgree with. Hey, Zorn had to get SOMETHING right while he was here.

HAT
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
You guys can all blame me if Denver loses.....I just got a text from a buddy who has SD season tickets asking me to go.

Denver is 0-7 in games I've attended.......
I've seen them lose twice in LA, 3 times in SD, once vs. the Rams in Anaheim and the absolute worst was to TB at Mile High in '93.

Ruh-Roh.

SureShot
10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Speak for yourself.

I'd rather learn lessons after a win than learn them after a loss.

Hey I hate losing as much as the next guy, but the fact that this team is 5-0 right is all gravy. I was just saying that I won't go off the deep end if we lose given the circumstances of this game, on the road vs. a rival that has had our number that is in a must win situation. I will be as happy with the direction of this team regardless of the outcome as I am right now.

INbronco
10-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Either:

A. Establish the run game like the Pats did. Unlike the Pats, they need to cash in when they get the shot to go downfield.

or

B. Screens. Catching us off balance with Sproles could be deadly. But this alone will not beat us. For this to work, they need to shut down our offense or at least make some key plays on defense.

P.S. Speaking of screens, guess which play our offense will likely see a lot of now that we aren't playing a team that knows our offense front to back? And do we bring back the wild horse? I didn't think about it at the time, but using the wild horse last weekend also gave the Chargers more to plan for. Since it was mostly successful, it makes their job even more difficult. I hope that Moreno has the option to pass if he wants to, that could really be interesting.

Noticed that the safety moved back deep as soon as Orton motioned back to center. An interesting variation would be for Orton to motion back to center but instead of stopping just continue past with the direct snap immediately after he clears the center. The safety would probably have moved back deep giving more running room. Might even catch him backpedaling.
Wouldn't that be fun to watch!:yayaya:

baja
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I was curious and double-checked.

Kern, Prater, Stokely, Royal, Marshall, C. Bailey, J. Williams, Larsen, Hillis, Hamilton, DJ Williams, Woodyard, Weigmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Clady, Thomas, Scheffler, Graham, Peterson, Dumervil and Moss.

Not sure about McBean & Haggan.

But it looks like about half of that team is still here.

Ya a wild guess on my part thanks for looking it up Old Dude. ;D

Still and all it was quite a remake.

baja
10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
They disrespected the team. They must pay! :~ohyah!:

OK then we TAKE IT

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-14-2009, 10:12 AM
You guys can all blame me if Denver loses.....I just got a text from a buddy who has SD season tickets asking me to go.

Denver is 0-7 in games I've attended.......
I've seen them lose twice in LA, 3 times in SD, once vs. the Rams in Anaheim and the absolute worst was to TB at Mile High in '93.

Ruh-Roh.
I'll see your "0-7 attendance CURSE" and raise you my "3-0 hot wings LUCK!"

When my team is in trouble at the half, I order Hot Wings ... I've done it il all 3 of our RIDICULOUSLY close games, over the past 2 years! ;) Patriots and Bengals this season and the week 2 Chargers last year.

HAT
10-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I'll see your "0-7 attendance CURSE" and raise you my "3-0 hot wings LUCK!"

When my team is in trouble at the half, I order Hot Wings ... I've done it il all 3 of our RIDICULOUSLY close games, over the past 2 years! ;) Patriots and Bengals this season and the week 2 Chargers last year.

Maybe I'll just go down for the tailgate and listen to the game from the parking lot. :thumbs:

TonyR
10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
A brief interruption to the regularly scheduled programming...

Chargers cut starting safety Hart
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 14, 2009 1:06 PM ET

PFT wrote last week that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith was determined to make some changes to his team during its bye week and in advance of the trading deadline.

The changed have begun.

The team released safety Clinton Hart Wednesday, according to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune and Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Hart doesn't have a big name, but he's started 33 out of the 34 games he's played since 2007, so the move should resonate on a defense where there are a number of jobs reportedly up for grabs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/14/chargers-cut-starting-safety-hart/

boltaneer
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Good riddance to Hart. The guy was doing his best Marlon McCree impersonation out there this year (and last year).

TonyR
10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Good riddance to Hart.

The question is whether or not his replacement is any better...

baja
10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
you guys can all blame me if denver loses.....i just got a text from a buddy who has sd season tickets asking me to go.

Denver is 0-7 in games i've attended.......
I've seen them lose twice in la, 3 times in sd, once vs. The rams in anaheim and the absolute worst was to tb at mile high in '93.

Ruh-roh.

i have been reluctant to divulge this but i am a physic - the way you break the mojo hat is to wear your hat backwards at the game and we will win .

boltaneer
10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
The question is whether or not his replacement is any better...

It will probably be Steve Gregory who has been playing a lot anyway. He shows flashes but he seems pretty average overall. Not really an upgrade but he's not worse.

I'd like to see Paul Oliver. He was all over the field in pre-season and he made some plays in his limited playing time last year.

Long term, the plan is Kevin Ellison. They might throw him in now if they think he's ready. He got a lot of good reviews in TC but wasn't impressive in pre-season.

Rohirrim
10-14-2009, 10:58 AM

2. The players and coaches of the Denver Broncos know exactly who the Chargers are. They are the only team standing in the way of them and the postseason. Trust me, they understand the importance of this game.
4. For **** sake, can we drop the elementary school **** already? We are 5 - 0. We beat the Cobwboys, Patriots, and Bengals. Let's be happy.

Broncos 27 Chargers 17

Go **** yourself. ;D

Popps
10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Good thread, Kaylore. I'm sure the staff and players are all too aware of the importance of this game. This just doesn't seem like the kind of team to get full of itself. It's not like we've been blowing teams out.

I think this will be our toughest game. We made too many mistakes last week and the week before. We'll need to clean those up on the road against a division rival or we'll be in trouble.

Monday night... SD's season on the line... it's going to be a very tall order to win this game.

gyldenlove
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Either:

or

I don't think the wildhorses will be back against the Chargers, I am pretty sure that was something Mcdaniels had prepared especially for the Patriots because he knows it works against them.

Against the Chargers I wouldn't be surprised to see us challenge the OLBs with runs and passes to the flat as well as trying to use the passes over the middle to bunch up the middle linebackers which should open up the seem a bit as well as keep them out of the passing lane for the short hitches.

The matchups we have to take advantage of will be Kuper and Wiegman vs the San Diego NT and MLB in the run game and Royal/Gaffney on the split end against Cromartie who has been beaten like a rented mule for a while now, he is fast but sloppy.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm actually NOT worried about this game.
This opponent would have been #1 from day 1 of the new McD and Co regime!

We have played good, solid, consistent football, in EVERY game this year, I have NO DOUBT we will do so again this week!
IMO: The worse case scenario we go toe-to-toe for 4 quarters and SD squeek out a win, after last years week 17 performance, I'll be happy with a solid performance on the road, by Denver. ;)

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 11:26 AM
i don't think the wildhorses will be back against the chargers, i am pretty sure that was something mcdaniels had prepared especially for the patriots because he knows it works against them.

Against the chargers i wouldn't be surprised to see us challenge the olbs with runs and passes to the flat as well as trying to use the passes over the middle to bunch up the middle linebackers which should open up the seem a bit as well as keep them out of the passing lane for the short hitches.

The matchups we have to take advantage of will be kuper and wiegman vs the san diego nt and mlb in the run game and royal/gaffney on the split end against cromartie who has been beaten like a rented mule for a while now, he is fast but sloppy.

rofl!

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Against the Chargers I wouldn't be surprised to see us challenge the OLBs with runs and passes to the flat ...

I seem to remember the raiders opening with 3 runs AT Merriman ... gaining about 25 yards!ROFL!

TheDave
10-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Did anyone watch the Steelers - Chargers?

Unless the bolts fix their massive problem at NT they are going to have trouble beating anyone. Pit's center was able to handle their NT by himself the entire game. I don't just mean he won his share of battles. All game long they were able to do as they please with him.

Reach Block, turn and wall off to the left... no problem
Gain position turn and drive to the right... no Problem
Straight ahead for the pancake.... Even easier.

We run the ball right up the gut the entire game. Chew the clock keep rivers and the deep ball on the sidelines. I understand that we have been on a winning streak. Combine that with the fact that it is a divisional game against a desperate opponent and this looks like a classic letdown game.

BUT...

From what I have seen this season, we are a very bad match-up for SD. They have become a finesses team. Physical up the gut football gives them fits.

I think McDaniels and Co. are planning to give them fits all night.

Odysseus
10-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Unless the bolts fix their massive problem at NT they are going to have trouble beating anyone. Pit's center was able to handle their NT by himself the entire game. I don't just mean he won his share of battles. All game long they were able to do as they please with him.

We run the ball right up the gut the entire game. Chew the clock keep rivers and the deep ball on the sidelines. I understand that we have been on a winning streak. Combine that with the fact that it is a divisional game against a desperate opponent and this looks like a classic letdown game.

BUT...

From what I have seen this season, we are a very bad match-up for SD. They have become a finesses team. Physical up the gut football gives them fits.

It's going to be a good game no questions about it but it's a Monday night game. If you want bragging rights in the NFL you win on Monday night. Broncos have not had a run game in years. The Broncos have not had a defense in years. Chargers have not played their best ball all year. Chargers are going to play nasty this game but this team is a lot tougher mentally. My hope is that this game is won on another circus catch or long field goal.

Rohirrim
10-14-2009, 12:03 PM
How many fights do you think we're going to see? :wiggle:

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
How many fights do you think we're going to see? :wiggle:

On the mane?

Beantown Bronco
10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
. Broncos have not had a run game in years.

Huh? Their worst ranking in the last 10 years is 12th. Granted, it was last year, but still.

Old Dude
10-14-2009, 12:11 PM

BUT...

I think the Chargers have been blitzing a lot up te middle in an effort to compensate for that, but you're right - - didn't work vs. Pittsburgh and the loss of Williams was huge.

If they cheat & try to stack the line, I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver spread them with TEs, as they did in the second half vs. Cleveland.

I'd feel better about all of this this if Buckhalter was able to go.

McD surprises me every week though. I have no idea what he's got planned on offense.

horsesense
10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I seem to remember the raiders opening with 3 runs AT Merriman ... gaining about 25 yards!ROFL!

I seem to remember the faid getting the best of the Chargers up until the refs pulled that non catch BS on them. :yayaya:

baja
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

<b>We run the ball right up the gut the entire game. Chew the clock keep rivers and the deep ball on the sidelines. I understand that we have been on a winning streak. Combine that with the fact that it is a divisional game against a desperate opponent and this looks like a classic letdown game.

BUT...

I like screens to open the game (and at key times during the game) to take advantage of the early over pursuit by the must win Chargers with lots of runs up the middle if we have the horses to do it which will open up the passing for a hot Orton who has found his timing with the receivers.

When you add it all up we should be able to give a pretty good beat down to these guys but who knows...

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I have no idea what he's got planned on offense.

:thanku:

Predictability went out the door. :thumbs:

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
I seem to remember the faid getting the best of the Chargers up until the refs pulled that non catch BS on them. :yayaya:

Geez Bro, did the wife lock you in the closet for the last two years?:wiggle:

TheDave
10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I like screens to open the game (and at key times during the game) to take advantage of the early over pursuit by the must win Chargers with lots of runs up the middle if we have the horses to do it which will open up the passing for a hot Orton who has found his timing with the receivers.

When you add it all up we should be able to give a pretty good beat down to these guys but who knows...

as they always say... On any given Sunday.

We will see what happens, but like OD said they have had to signicantly over compensate to help plug the massive hole in the middle. I will be very surprised if McKidd can't find a way of exploiting their D.

The only part that concerns me is Rivers. Unfortunately he has become one hell of a good QB (again something I missed on). His downfield accuracy is freakish. If we don't get pressure on him then it won't matter how much clock we chew up.

Should be a good game no matter what... But I do think a win this week is real important. I still think 9-7 possibly 10-6 wins the division, but SD has a pathetically easy schedule over the last 5 games. Putting them down 3.5 games on monday will go a long ways towards our playoff chances.

horsesense
10-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Geez Bro, did the wife lock you in the closet for the last two years?:wiggle:

No shyt huh? Just got a lil burned out on the MB crap is all. Hope you and yours are all doing well.

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Broncos 27 Chargers 17

I do get a kick out of this. I guess we are only 5-0 because of all the negativity that came from this board during the off season. People should be lining up to suck us off not make us eat crow. :P

TheDave
10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
i do get a kick out of this. I guess we are only 5-0 because of all the negativity that came from this board during the off season. People should be lining up to suck us off not make us eat crow. :p

+1 :)

azbroncfan
10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
This game just has the feel of the 2002 monday nighter when Denver was supposed to stomp the Raiders into the ground and the Raiders took that blowout and rode the momentum to the Super Bowl.

~Crash~
10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mrice/staying-grounded-2/

TonyR
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
My hope is that this game is won on another circus catch or long field goal.

Personally I'd prefer an azz kicking. The last two weeks have provided plenty of drama. Give me a demoralizing blowout!

Mr. Elway
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Chargers cut their safety Hart and re-signed injured castoff Ian Scott, a DT big enough to play the 3-4 nose. That's a garbage signing and does not bode well for them, after all the rumors I was worried (probably needlessly) about them getting Shaun Rogers.

Odysseus
10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Personally I'd prefer an azz kicking. The last two weeks have provided plenty of drama. Give me a demoralizing blowout!

You mean like the NFC Giants put the Oakland Raiders? (Why didn't we do that?)

I remember when Raider fans could be found literally all over this board. All the chest thumping and trash talking. This board used to be dedicated to bashing Raiders now it's like picking on a grade schooler. You just feel bad. It's like you want to travel in time and warn them by showing them pictures of Al Davis, scoreboards and remind them that Jon Gruden will be an announcer one day.

I remember when Dainty Hall threads littered this place like trash after a football game. You couldn't get in a post edgewise without some Chiefs idiot talking about Croyle or Trent Green or Gonzalez. Nobody even goes to Chiefs planet anymore. Don't miss those guys at all.

Chargers fans aren't so bad. They actually try to talk football. If the Broncos beat them on Monday night that means we will have a good chance at sweeping them. Sure going to miss those Charger fans.

Odysseus
10-14-2009, 01:06 PM
This game just has the feel of the 2002 monday nighter when Denver was supposed to stomp the Raiders into the ground and the Raiders took that blowout and rode the momentum to the Super Bowl.

Did Orton trip over his dog?

TailgateNut
10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
No shyt huh? Just got a lil burned out on the MB crap is all. Hope you and yours are all doing well.

Burned out??? Ya got 27 posts in 2 years. WTF

Anywhoo, good to see all is well.

Sorry to hijack but I haven't heard from him in years.

Now return to your regular scheduled "programming".:wiggle:

JJJ
10-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Good riddance to Hart. The guy was doing his best Marlon McCree impersonation out there this year (and last year).

And a very bad impression at that. McCree would at least lay the wood occaisionally.

Who knows what Charger team is going to show up. I do know they will throw deep and throw it often. They will try to stretch the field to set up the delayed screens to Sproles. That is the only real running game they have.

Maybe LT makes a encore appearance. This team is just too unpredictable.

SureShot
10-14-2009, 01:49 PM
as they always say... On any given Sunday.

We will see what happens, but like OD said they have had to signicantly over compensate to help plug the massive hole in the middle. I will be very surprised if McKidd can't find a way of exploiting their D.

I think a reverse out of the Wild Horses would work nicely.

Mediator12
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
SD is in position to get their ass handed to them on MON night. They are a wildly inconsistent team that very rarely plays 60 minutes of football. Against Good teams, they struggle mightily unless they play all game long, and I doubt they do this week.

They are undermanned at key Positions on both lines, have little to no pass rush, little to no running game, are poorly coached, not disciplined, and playing like it.

Now, they have to play a team that will create serious mismatches in 2 phases of the game and will not be as atrocious on ST's as they have been in the past. SD is not used to that watching the Broncos in the film room. This is NOT the team they have pummeled the last few years. I wonder just how good SD's coaches are to convince them they can actually win this game after they break down the game film.

That being said, Its a rivalry game and anything can and usually will happen. SD is a capable team when they put it all together. They will be motivated. They might even play at their potential level. The biggest difference is that it might not even matter ;D

I look forward to this game. It will tell us a lot more about what this DEN team has really become under the new regime.

Old Dude
10-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Ugh. Bad memories. Wasn't that the night that Ray Rhodes decided that Denver could do just fine with a two-man pass rush?

21 straight completions by Gannon.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. One of the worst MNFs ever.

Mediator12
10-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Ugh. Bad memories. Wasn't that the night that Ray Rhodes decided that Denver could do just fine with a two-man pass rush?

Yeah, right up there with the CIN monday nighter in 2004. That was the one where DEN was going to finally get over the hump in primetime with Bailey and Lynch in the secondary. They were 5-1 and looking to take control after going 3-0 versus the division. They choked mightily under the lights after I predicted a win Knowitall

That was the last time I predicted a game ;D

houghtam
10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
shun the non-believer.

shhhhhhhuuuuuuunnnnnn

Lev Vyvanse
10-14-2009, 03:26 PM
http://liopleurodon.ytmnd.com/

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Ha ha ha! :laugh:

All I can think about is how the chargers barely escaped a home defeat against the raiders.

Rock Chalk
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM

No, they are not.

San Diego has about 4 good players and a bunch of halfwits.

Im so tired of hearing this same tired bull****.

LT is done folks. He started the season healthy and sucked ass.

Vincent Jackson and Phillip Rivers are both great players, and Gates is still a great player, but beyond that they have ****.

Merriman is a roid freak and is a shell of what he once was, Jamaal Lewis is down for the season, and they have absolutely NO ONE ELSE on their team that would be starting on Denver's team.

Denver is strong on both lines, stronger at all skill positions except for QB and quite frankly, the way Orton is playing right now, Id take him over Rivers.

San Diego may win this game, because they are at home, have had two weeks to prepare (but this is a Norv coached team preparing) and are in a desperate state right now BUT the for crying out loud, STOP saying this is a talented team. They are not. They missed their window 3 years ago and have done NOTHING But get worse every season.

Denver IS the class of this Division and as of this moment, they are the predator and San Diego is the prey.

BigBad
10-14-2009, 09:33 PM
quite frankly, the way Orton is playing right now, Id take him over Rivers.

Hilarious!

Hey Rock Chalk I hope you are not this delusional when cheering on KU! Im a Charger fan and a Kansas fan so at least we can get along half the year!

KU wins it all this year again in Bball!!!^5

baja
10-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Well excuuuuuse me!

We'll see Monday I guess.

BigBad
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey baja as much as I hate to say it Rock Chalk is close to right. My Chargers window is close to shut. The talent has dropped off big time in two years. I wont say the window is ever fully closed until Rivers is dragged off the field.

baja
10-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey baja as much as I hate to say it Rock Chalk is close to right. My Chargers window is close to shut. The talent has dropped off big time in two years. I wont say the window is ever fully closed until Rivers is dragged off the field.

I know you have some key injuries and you have become a soft finesse team but like you say you still have Rivers gates and Jackson. I think this game could go either way but I do like Denver +4 that seems to be a 5 star lock.

baja
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
What I love is your GM is trashing the team in the local Media.

BigBad
10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
What I love is your GM is trashing the team in the local Media.

Someone needed to stoke the fire! You think Norv was calling anyone out?:flush:

LongDongJohnson
10-14-2009, 09:56 PM
run the ball
dont turn it over
stop deep pass (chargers biggest weapon)
broncos win

BigBad
10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
run the ball
dont turn it over
stop deep pass (chargers biggest weapon)
broncos win

Agree and if you keep doing number 1 the whole night it will be easy for you guys. My Chargers have been DESTROYED by the run all year.

baja
10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Someone needed to stoke the fire! You think Norv was calling anyone out?:flush:

I don't know what is going to happen on Monday night except I'm pretty certain Josh McD is going to out coach Norv.

BigBad
10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know what is going to happen on Monday night except I'm pretty certain Josh McD is going to out coach Norv.

Dude five games does not make a "great" coach. Plus Cincy, Cleveland, Raturds, and Dallas dont exactly have awesome coaches.ROFL! I watched the whole NE/Den game and I didnt see coaching make a huge difference. I saw NE secondary make hardly any plays and Brady miss a lot of throws to open guys.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
You ever notice how SanDaigo gets only 1-2 FA signings during the off-season? That's what killed their team.
At least bring in some new guys to push the old guys to play/train harder!:wiggle:

baja
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Even Belichick himself said McD's game plan confused the NE D. and caused them errors.

R8R H8R
10-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Honestly, the more I study these teams the more I like the match-up for us. If our offense can make the same strides this week as they have each preceding week, we should win the TOP battle. But obviously, we have to continue to get better in the red-zone or it may not matter.

We can run, they haven't been able to stop the run. If we can dink and dunk on the Pats, who know this system better than anyone, we can dink and dunk on the Chargers. So TOP should go to us unless we have a turnover fest; hopefully not.

On defense, I'm starting to like the match-up the more I study it. Here's why, their biggest threats to us is the deep ball, probably to Jackson, and the intermediate threat to Gates; and maybe the screen to Sproles.

With that being said, if we can limit the damage that Brady, Moss, Welker, and the Pats vaunted screen pass can do to us, then we can certainly limit the damage of Rivers, Gates, Jackson, and Sproles can do to us providing we play our "A" game.

Which all comes down to coaching, of course. So the best match-up we may have is McD and Nolan against Tuner and Rivera(?); and that's a match-up that should go heavily in our favor.

One thing that may not go in our favor this Monday is if we spot them 10 points early like we did in the last two games. We will be on the road in a very hostile envirornment and they will be loud if they get a lead. But then again anything can happen, so it ought to be fun to watch.

HAT
10-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I watched the whole NE/Den game and I didnt see coaching make a huge difference.

Wow, the whole game?

You do realize that coaching takes place Monday through Saturday also right?

Dagmar
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM

http://i34.tinypic.com/2w37tl5.gif

bpc
10-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I love that everyone (for the most part) is on board with the Broncos now. However just as it was silly too get to down on the team before the season started, it's just as dumb to get too high with 11 games to play.

Enter San Diego.

Now Norv before being the coach of the Chargers was 1-4 on MNF, at one point losing three in one season, but clearly he and Rivers are doing better.

And fix special teams!

McDaniels has had them playing the hardest 60 minutes i've seen in awhile. I hope Denver is treating this like a must win game, just as SD is. If we win, we get a strangle hold on this division, especially with SD having to visit us in cold weather and altitude.

Bottom line, we just need to bring the pain and walk out of SD with a victory and 6-0 record. There is more at stake here than being a game up in the division. The weight of SD has been on us for 3-4 years now... it's starting to feel like when the AFC was 0 for whatever in Super Bowl 32. We have to end this race NOW. Just my opinion.

R8R H8R
10-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude five games does not make a "great" coach.

He didn't say that. Read his post again.

Plus Cincy, Cleveland, Raturds, and Dallas dont exactly have awesome coaches.

Neither does SD. You aren't going to say otherwise are you?

ROFL! I watched the whole NE/Den game and I didnt see coaching make a huge difference. I saw NE secondary make hardly any plays and Brady miss a lot of throws to open guys.

Good coaching exploits weaknesses, and if you really saw the whole game then you had to see that Brady was clearly confused in the second half of the game. He had no problem hitting his recievers in the 1st half, and it looked to me like this was going to be the Broncos 1st loss the way Brady ripped up our defense particularly just before half-time.

Then low and behold he is clearly a different QB in the 2nd half. Did he all of a sudden forget how to play QB? No, of course not. McD and Nolan made more adjustments than they did at the half. We out-scored the Pats 13-0 in the 2nd half.

That's good coaching folks. But then you should know that since you watched the game.

400HZ
10-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Denver is strong on both lines, stronger at all skill positions except for QB and quite frankly, the way Orton is playing right now, Id take him over Rivers.

Haha, your post started off pretty solid but then got all amped up and ridiculous. What happened?

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5440874,00.jpg

400HZ
10-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Chargers cut their safety Hart and re-signed injured castoff Ian Scott, a DT big enough to play the 3-4 nose. That's a garbage signing and does not bode well for them, after all the rumors I was worried (probably needlessly) about them getting Shaun Rogers.

This is actually a solid move for the Chargers. Ian Scott was with them through training camp and the preseason at nose tackle and should be able to contribute right away. San Diego's defensive line at this point essentially consists of Luis Castillo at one spot and a rotation of like seven guys at the other two spots. The more the merrier. It's painful to say, but getting Scott back and also getting Travis Johnson back from injury is a big boost to the unit.

Hart has been a pure embarrassment the past two years. Unfortunately, Steve Gregory who will probably take his spot is pretty much worthless too. I'm hoping to see either of our two rookie safeties on the field come Monday.

boltaneer
10-15-2009, 02:22 AM
I love the fact that everyone is way down on the Chargers right now because for some reason they seem to really step it up when that happens. I think even AJ Smith overreacting is a good thing. If that's what it takes to light a fire under this team, then so be it.

Though, they're clearly not playing up to their abilities, I think they really haven't played that poorly. Especially factoring the injuries on the d-line and o-line.

The Steeler game was a stinker. And this is fresh in everyone's mind so this gets emphasized.

The Raider game wasn't a great performance but considering the patchwork lines they had to put together in that game, it was impressive. And that game was the Raiders Super Bowl, much like when the Broncos come to Arrowhead. I expected it to be a fairly close game even without the injuries.

The Miami game wasn't a great performance either but it was a fairly good one. While they struggled with the run early on, the defense stepped it up as the game went on. They certainly didn't get pushed around like the mighty Jets defense the other night.

Their best performance was against the Ravens, who they outplayed. But poor play calling in the red zone and at the end of the game was the reason that game slipped away. It's interesting that had they converted just one of those red zone opportunities, this team would be 3-1 and there would be a different outlook towards the team.

But the obvious problems are at o-line and d-line, which definitely needs to be addressed if the team wants to get to the post season.

The rookies on the o-line will improve as they gain valuable experience as the season marches on. And they'll get Hardwick back in a few games. I'm not so optimistic about how much improvement will happen on the d-line but they've got rooks there as well so those guys can only go up. Getting Cesaire and Johnson back healthy and more rotational guys like Ian Scott and Boone will help the rooks from wearing out. Don't know if there's enough talent there to fix things but we'll see.

The question is, can they play well enough until those guys get healthy and will the rooks be able to learn on the fly fast enough.

Most teams hate early bye weeks but I think this came at the perfect time for the Chargers.

cutthemdown
10-15-2009, 03:57 AM
Tell me Boltaneer are there any matchups with our oline you feel your defensive line can win? I sure don't see any. Especially considering we have 2 realy good OT and a really good blocking TE. That should neutralize the OLB.

You don't have a huge DT to exploit Hamilton and Wiegman but I guess inside will be the place to try.

Whose the best Chargers inside backer that an bring pressure inside?

Just seem like Orton will have time to throw and we should be able to run it.

I do think Rivers the type that will hit a few big pass plays but can Chargers stop Broncos? This will be the best oline they have faced to date IMO.

boltaneer
10-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Tell me Boltaneer are there any matchups with our oline you feel your defensive line can win? I sure don't see any. Especially considering we have 2 realy good OT and a really good blocking TE. That should neutralize the OLB.

That's a problem for sure because the Chargers pass rush has been weak so far. Merriman shouldn't be out there playing because of his injuries but his backups (Applewhite and Tucker) have been out because of injury as well so he was forced to give it a go. Everyone is writing Merriman off and that's comical. The guy is still nursing a knee injury and wound up with a groin because he was compensating for it. But if he's able to bounce back this season, it's going to take a while so for this week's game, I don't imagine him being a factor.

English is improving. I like what I'm seeing out of him but it's a work in progress for the rook. And Clady is a stud so if he can beat him, I'd really be impressed.

You're right, that there aren't many one-on-ones with the Broncos o-line that the Chargers should win. Castillo is playing great for once so he's the only one I would have faith in and Phillips can still have his moments but the main thing is fundamentals for them. There has been some poor and sloppy tackling this year. If they can clean that up, it will help a lot, even with the mismatches.

You don't have a huge DT to exploit Hamilton and Wiegman but I guess inside will be the place to try.

Whose the best Chargers inside backer that an bring pressure inside?

I would say Burnett. Rivera was bringing him on inside blitzes in he pre-season and it was working good but he's looked out of place so far after suffering that neck stinger in the last game of pre-season. I'm hoping it's the injury that has slowed him down and the bye week has given him the time to properly recover from it.

I've watched the linebackers and they just have not been maintaining their gaps. Whether they're trying to do too much because the d-line is hurting or they're just playing poorly, I don't know but that definitely needs to be fixed.

Just seem like Orton will have time to throw and we should be able to run it.

I do think Rivers the type that will hit a few big pass plays but can Chargers stop Broncos? This will be the best oline they have faced to date IMO.

I agree with all your points concerning this game. It's going to be a big challenge for them because the Broncos lines are playing better right now. My post was simply to point out that while it's obvious the Chargers are hurting right now, they've band-aided pretty well and they can rebound if they can get guys healthy and if the rooks develop as the season moves on.

I know using injuries as an excuse is lame but it's just crazy how many injuries they've had so far this year, especially on the o-line and the front seven. If the bye week really helped them heal up, I think we're going to see improved play on both sides of the line.

400HZ
10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
That's a problem for sure because the Chargers pass rush has been weak so far. Merriman shouldn't be out there playing because of his injuries but his backups (Applewhite and Tucker) have been out because of injury as well so he was forced to give it a go. Everyone is writing Merriman off and that's comical. The guy is still nursing a knee injury and wound up with a groin because he was compensating for it. But if he's able to bounce back this season, it's going to take a while so for this week's game, I don't imagine him being a factor.

English is improving. I like what I'm seeing out of him but it's a work in progress for the rook. And Clady is a stud so if he can beat him, I'd really be impressed.

You're right, that there aren't many one-on-ones with the Broncos o-line that the Chargers should win. Castillo is playing great for once so he's the only one I would have faith in and Phillips can still have his moments but the main thing is fundamentals for them. There has been some poor and sloppy tackling this year. If they can clean that up, it will help a lot, even with the mismatches.

I would say Burnett. Rivera was bringing him on inside blitzes in he pre-season and it was working good but he's looked out of place so far after suffering that neck stinger in the last game of pre-season. I'm hoping it's the injury that has slowed him down and the bye week has given him the time to properly recover from it.

I've watched the linebackers and they just have not been maintaining their gaps. Whether they're trying to do too much because the d-line is hurting or they're just playing poorly, I don't know but that definitely needs to be fixed.

I agree with all your points concerning this game. It's going to be a big challenge for them because the Broncos lines are playing better right now. My post was simply to point out that while it's obvious the Chargers are hurting right now, they've band-aided pretty well and they can rebound if they can get guys healthy and if the rooks develop as the season moves on.

I know using injuries as an excuse is lame but it's just crazy how many injuries they've had so far this year, especially on the o-line and the front seven. If the bye week really helped them heal up, I think we're going to see improved play on both sides of the line.

I agree. San Diego's defense is past winning battles up front. It's probably not happening. What is important is that players stop blowing their assignments and start doing their individual job within the scheme. That's what Denver has been doing. They aren't blowing people away with dominating personnel.

theAPAOps5
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
I have this as Denver's first loss just because San Diego has to win to keep pace even though Denver still has some tough games coming. That and they are coming off a by week. So I think Denver can win but I won't be surprised if they lose.

Now I will be surprised if its an ass beating again on either side of the ball. But I just don't see that happening!

The Joker
10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I have this as Denver's first loss just because San Diego has to win to keep pace even though Denver still has some tough games coming. That and they are coming off a by week. So I think Denver can win but I won't be surprised if they lose.

Now I will be surprised if its an ass beating again on either side of the ball. But I just don't see that happening!

I see what you're saying, but the fact that we have our bye after this game should work in our favour too.

The players will go into it knowing they've 13 days to recover after this game, and a win put them firmly in the driving seat to win the AFC West. There's no excuse for us leaving anything on the field next Monday.

I expect our coaches to beat that into them all of this week, and the Chargers will have to be absolutely at their best if they're going to come away from this must-win game with a victory.

Black96WS6
10-15-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm not sure. I think this is going to be a great game that could go either way.

The main point is, Denver is much changed compared to last year.

And getting SD now, with multiple starters injured and/or gone for the year, is a good time to face this team.

I wish we had Hardwick, Merriman, and Jamal all healthy so we can both see where our teams really are at this year, but what happened, happened. Can't cry over spilt milk.

broncofan2438
10-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Gonna be a really tough game, but I think Denver wins.

theAPAOps5
10-15-2009, 12:55 PM

I agree and I think Denver can win but I also think its going to be one of the toughest games this season. Just because SD still has talent regardless of the injuries and their backs are almost against the wall.

vancejohnson82
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
this team is different in the fact that this game won't get out of hand....we'll keep it close and hopefully come up with plays down the stretch to pull it ou

JJJ
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Hopefully the Bolts won't go up 10-0 in the first quarter. That seems to be the kiss of death against the Broncos. Bolts normally sleepwalk through the first half so no real chance of that happening anyway.

Both teams seem to play their best ball in the 2nd half. Lots of first half field goal attempts and then on a hunch we will see several turnovers in the 2nd half. Last team with the ball wins the game.

Eldorado
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Chargers game: Don't get too high

This is really good advise guys. I find it hard to concentrate.

Electric Chair
10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
This is really good advise guys. I find it hard to concentrate.

But it makes my CD collection sound SO much better.

theAPAOps5
10-15-2009, 06:25 PM
But it makes my CD collection sound SO much better.

Yeah it does the same thing for my mixed tape collection!

Rock Chalk
10-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Hilarious!

Hey Rock Chalk I hope you are not this delusional when cheering on KU! Im a Charger fan and a Kansas fan so at least we can get along half the year!

KU wins it all this year again in Bball!!!^5

You would take Rivers over Orton right now? Right this second?

Orton = #2 best QB in the 4th quarter. 7 TDs to 1 pick and has led his team to a 5-0 record (make no mistake, Orton is the leader of this team). Rivers is the better QB, but right now I would take Orton over Rivers. Right now, there are about 4 QBs in the entire league based on how they are playing RIGHT NOW that Id take over Orton and Rivers is not one of them.

Rock Chalk
10-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Haha, your post started off pretty solid but then got all amped up and ridiculous. What happened?

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5440874,00.jpg

Right because Orton is so much worse than Rivers this year right now.

Idiots. Its like they dont teach you dimwits anything in Calif...oh wait, my bad. I forgot how ****ed up the socialist school system is out there.

gunns
10-15-2009, 08:11 PM
He didn't say that. Read his post again.

Neither does SD. You aren't going to say otherwise are you?

Good coaching exploits weaknesses, and if you really saw the whole game then you had to see that Brady was clearly confused in the second half of the game. He had no problem hitting his recievers in the 1st half, and it looked to me like this was going to be the Broncos 1st loss the way Brady ripped up our defense particularly just before half-time.

Then low and behold he is clearly a different QB in the 2nd half. Did he all of a sudden forget how to play QB? No, of course not. McD and Nolan made more adjustments than they did at the half. We out-scored the Pats 13-0 in the 2nd half.

That's good coaching folks. But then you should know that since you watched the game.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't like the first half, did have me slightly nervous but I have noticed that we have been making excellent 2nd half adjustments. That is good coaching. And the different plays by the O line was seeing what is going on before it happens and being very prepared for it. That is excellent coaching and the most impressive thing about this team this year.

Electric Chair
10-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Idiots. Its like they dont teach you dimwits anything in Calif...oh wait, my bad. I forgot how ****ed up the socialist school system is out there.

Holy crap. You're serious??? :rofl:

400HZ
10-15-2009, 10:37 PM

Orton does a great job of playing not to **** it up. He might even be the best at it now that Griese is retired. Seriously, the BEST in the league! He's got that awesome 19.8 ppg offense out there firing not to **** it up on all 12 cyclinders!

boltaneer
10-16-2009, 12:14 AM
McDaniels is being very smart with Orton with the short passes and running attack. He's basically replicating last year what he did with a scrub like Cassel. Orton is leagues better than Cassel though. It's working for them well. I'm curious to see how it will work against the better defenses in the league though.

But the Chargers always struggle with QBs like Orton (Pennington always killed the Chargers and was undefeated against them until this year). The only time the Chargers fare well against these types of offenses is when they're able to get a big early lead. If the Chargers continue to play the bend but don't break defense, it's gonna kill them this game. They need to go aggressive with run blitzes and dare Orton to beat them with his arm. If he's able to beat them down the field then so be it.

cutthemdown
10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Orton does a great job of playing not to **** it up. He might even be the best at it now that Griese is retired. Seriously, the BEST in the league! He's got that awesome 19.8 ppg offense out there firing not to **** it up on all 12 cyclinders!

I could see why this offense doesn't worry you. It still doesn't score enough points considering the amount of yrds it gets.

But it does do a good job of not going 3 and out. It moves the ball, controls the clock, scores some points, doesn't turn it over too much.

Still though Moreno has dropped the ball, look for Chargers to have one guy hold him up and another strip.

Unless Merriman suddenly gets back I don't see where the pressure on Orton is supposed to come from.

It's just tough because Broncos have 3 great outside pass protectors in Clady, Harris, Graham. I just don't see Chargers having much luck coming at Orton from outside.

So that means coming at them inside. But. With Jammal Williams out I'm not sure Chargers can beat the trio of Kuper/Hamilton/Wiegman. Those 3 do really well against 300 pounders, not so well against 350 pounder. Chargers just don't have the size upfront to open the gaps for linebackers to get through.

of course thats going by what I have seen this yr. We all know things can change really fast in the NFL. A player like LT, or Merriman, can get there groove back at any time.

400HZ
10-16-2009, 04:48 AM
I could see why this offense doesn't worry you. It still doesn't score enough points considering the amount of yrds it gets.

But it does do a good job of not going 3 and out. It moves the ball, controls the clock, scores some points, doesn't turn it over too much.

Still though Moreno has dropped the ball, look for Chargers to have one guy hold him up and another strip.

Unless Merriman suddenly gets back I don't see where the pressure on Orton is supposed to come from.

It's just tough because Broncos have 3 great outside pass protectors in Clady, Harris, Graham. I just don't see Chargers having much luck coming at Orton from outside.

So that means coming at them inside. But. With Jammal Williams out I'm not sure Chargers can beat the trio of Kuper/Hamilton/Wiegman. Those 3 do really well against 300 pounders, not so well against 350 pounder. Chargers just don't have the size upfront to open the gaps for linebackers to get through.

of course thats going by what I have seen this yr. We all know things can change really fast in the NFL. A player like LT, or Merriman, can get there groove back at any time.

I have no doubt that our defense will give him every chance to succeed.

rastaman
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM

I think Denver wins by 10-12 points!

azbroncfan
10-16-2009, 08:47 AM

They have played some good Defense's in Cinncinatti, New England, and Dallas. We will start finding out now what the Offense really is since game film is out and the players should be comfortable now.

Rohirrim
10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
STs are the Broncos biggest weakness. They could lose this game on that alone.