PDA

View Full Version : NFL trade deadline rumors

DBroncos4life
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81364ce6/Around-the-League

Two players from the AFC West are rumored to be on the trading block. Glenn Doresey and Shawne Merriman. There are also the rumor going around about TO and then there is the please pick a Raider any Raider fire sale rumor. Quinn is worthless and I couldn't see a NFL team needed a QB that bad other then the Raiders.

DBroncos4life
10-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Brady Quinn reportedly put his Cleveland home up for sale on Tuesday.
The natural assumption is that Quinn expects to be dealt before next week's trade deadline, but NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reported Tuesday night that it's unlikely. Quinn's asking price is also $775,000 for the five-bedroom, five-bath house, which will be very difficult to get in this economy.Source: ESPN.com

s0phr0syne
10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Maybe I'm a retard for still seeing great potential in Quinn. Just needs a good offensive staff to develop him, IMO.

Baba Booey
10-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Maybe I'm a retard for still seeing great potential in Quinn. Just needs a good offensive staff to develop him, IMO.

I agree. You saw the smarts in college and he's shown the tools in the NFL, he just needs the right situation to put them together imo.

bronco militia
10-13-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81364ce6/Around-the-League

Two players from the AFC West are rumored to be on the trading block. Glenn Doresey and Shawne Merriman. There are also the rumor going around about TO and then there is the please pick a Raider any Raider fire sale rumor. Quinn is worthless and I couldn't see a NFL team needed a QB that bad other then the Raiders.

I had heard Dorsey and Derrick Johnson....meriman is new

LIGHTS OUT!

ward63
10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
No way Shawne goes anywhere, even though I hate him!!!!

ward63
10-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Also Pioli loves his picks in KC, so it's possible

DBroncos4life
10-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I had heard Dorsey and Derrick Johnson....meriman is new

LIGHTS OUT!

I would trade him out of there. Smith doesn't want anything to do with him come off season so extra picks would be ideal for him. The Jets might think they have a good enough team to be crazy enough to want him, its not like he wouldn't be a upgrade over Vernon Gholston

chickennob2
10-13-2009, 09:47 PM
In the video the guy said a 5th or 6th for Quinn. **** yeah I'd make that trade. Great developmental prospect for that little compensation? If McD likes him, I'd absolutely make that trade.

R8R H8R
10-13-2009, 10:03 PM
In the video the guy said a 5th or 6th for Quinn. **** yeah I'd make that trade. Great developmental prospect for that little compensation? If McD likes him, I'd absolutely make that trade.

At first thought I agree, but when you think about it, it isn't practical.

There are 2 problems:

1st- do we have a 5th or 6th? I know we gave away at least one of them for the DE LeSmith before the season. Seems like we traded for someone else, but can't remember who.

And this is probably the biggest obstacle:

2nd- We already have 3 QB's on the roster. Who do we cut? Not Simms, he is the established backup that knows the system. Brandstater? Only if we could be assured that he can stay on the practice squad; not sure he would. Also, because Quinn is a first round draft choice, and this would be a trade, we would have to pay him his salary. He probably would be the highest paid QB while sitting on the bench all year. Probably not going to happen.

Killericon
10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Man, if Quinn could be had for a 5th/6th, and I'm the Vikings, I pull the trigger on that in a heart beat.

tsiguy96
10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
raiderhater, we gave the 7th that the pats gave us...we have an entire draft 1-7 if memory serves me correctly. no more no less.

Denver724
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
raiderhater, we gave the 7th that the pats gave us...we have an entire draft 1-7 if memory serves me correctly. no more no less.

I don't think we have a 5th. We traded the 2010 5th (Dallas) to move up and get Brandstater last year and our 5th for Smith.

atomicbloke
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow this Brady Quinn situation is strange.... he has started only 6 games on a pathetic squad.... why would a team give up a 1st round QB who only started 6 games for so cheap?.... or there other off the field issues that I am not aware of?

tsiguy96
10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Wow this Brady Quinn situation is strange.... he has started only 6 games on a pathetic squad.... why would a team give up a 1st round QB who only started 6 games for so cheap?.... or there other off the field issues that I am not aware of?

one of the browns players said derek anderson coming in was like a "spark" to the offense. its on PFT. too bad he completed 2/17 last week.

Killericon
10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Plus, Mangini likes "his" players more than any other coach I've ever seen.

PRBronco
10-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Hmm, I thought Glenn Dorsey was starting to come around in KC, I noticed him a few times on the weekend.

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2009, 11:04 PM
No way Shawne goes anywhere, even though I hate him!!!!

dude's contract is up at the end of the year. only thing SD gets is a mid to late round conditional pick based on playing time and whether or not the team he goes to re-signs him after the season ends.

i truthfully wouldn't mind seein him come to Denver. i hate the guy, but a dude with a personal rudge against the Chargers is something that might be fun to have.

ward63
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
dude's contract is up at the end of the year. only thing SD gets is a mid to late round conditional pick based on playing time and whether or not the team he goes to re-signs him after the season ends.

i truthfully wouldn't mind seein him come to Denver. i hate the guy, but a dude with a personal rudge against the Chargers is something that might be fun to have.

I couldn't take him here. He's part of the crew that I wouldn't want at all no matter what. If we had him or Rivers from SD I'd puke every time Denver was on

Doggcow
10-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I hope noone gives up anything good for the scrub ass and makes SD better.

baja
10-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Man, if Quinn could be had for a 5th/6th, and I'm the Vikings, I pull the trigger on that in a heart beat.

Even more so the Raiders.

Williams
10-13-2009, 11:37 PM

McD wants nothing to do with the "look at me" players. No chance in hell.

Caveat Lector
10-14-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't think we have a 5th. We traded the 2010 5th (Dallas) to move up and get Brandstater last year and our 5th for Smith.

Pretty sure we had a full list of picks at the end of the draft and then the following occurred -

We gave our 5th to the Pats for LeKevin Smith and a 7th

and

We gave the Pats' 7th back to them for Russ Hochstein

So if I've done that correctly we're down a 5th, but have everything else.

Nevertheless, you won't be seeing Denver active before the trade deadline. The main point with Merriman is that whoever trades for him is going to have to pay him a fortune for a new contract. That is why SD is looking to get rid of him cheap...

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 01:30 AM
McD wants nothing to do with the "look at me" players. No chance in hell.

i'm not saying that McDaniels would be interested or even that we should do it. i am simply saying i wouldn't be completely against it were he to bring him in.

i hate his guts, as well as a lot of other players in the league, but if they are laying dudes out in a Denver uniform, my hate and the majority of Broncos fans hate towards that player would fade.

Stokley laid one of the worst beat downs on us a few years ago in the playoffs, but he put on a Broncos uniform made some plays for us and it was forgiven and he was embraced as one of us.

Weigman was a Chief for years, but he came in and performed for us and it was forgiven.

regardless of feelings toward a player in a different uniform, if they become Broncos and make plays, we will embrace them as part of the team.

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Pretty sure we had a full list of picks at the end of the draft and then the following occurred -

and

Nevertheless, you won't be seeing Denver active before the trade deadline. The main point with Merriman is that whoever trades for him is going to have to pay him a fortune for a new contract. That is why SD is looking to get rid of him cheap...

regardless of what we have. if the Patriots recent draft history and our own 2009 draft are indicators, it can be believed we will be making moves all draft weekend and in the weeks leading up to the draft to make sure we get the players and value we want.

PRBronco
10-14-2009, 01:40 AM

and

But we had an extra 5th from trading Too Fat to Play last offseason, if I recall correctly. This stuff's hard to keep up with, but i'm pretty certain we have 1 pick in each round atm, even if they're not all our actual slots.

Caveat Lector
10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
regardless of what we have. if the Patriots recent draft history and our own 2009 draft are indicators, it can be believed we will be making moves all draft weekend and in the weeks leading up to the draft to make sure we get the players and value we want.

You are correct, that is more than likely. I'm just saying we ain't gonna be trading in the next couple of days...

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Wayne Nunnely has seen enough of SM, so if for some reason "hypothetically" he would land with the Broncos in the off season his opinion would have to count for something. Its also the reason I don't care that Igor Olshansky didn't signed with us this year.

meangene
10-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Dorsey is kind of intriguing to me. I don't think you play Dorsey on the nose, and, he is a little short for a DE, but the guy could be a playmaker. Doom is undersized for an OLB too. Our DE's are playing solid football in a rotation system but none of them are standouts and Peterson and Holliday are getting up there in age. Wonder if a young guy like him could help down the road? Would KC trade with us? Maybe the McD Pioli connection helps there. What would it take?

Traveler
10-14-2009, 03:40 AM
How about Jarvis Moss for Dorsey?

meangene
10-14-2009, 04:11 AM
How about Jarvis Moss for Dorsey?

Works for me!

HILife
10-14-2009, 04:56 AM

aaaahhh, much better
http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/merriman.jpg

Broncos_OTM
10-14-2009, 05:36 AM
I like the team going forward. i do not think there is anyone out there that could put us up over the top. Brady quinn would be intriguing though for a 6 or so

Broncoman13
10-14-2009, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see McD trade for a good return man. If Rosco Parrish can be had he may go for it... he is familiar with him from his NE days so you have to assume that if he does go after him it would be with good reason. Another name that I know Josh is familiar with and also thinks the world of is Joshua Cribbs. I think the Browns were trying to trade him toward the beginning of the year, wonder if he is still on the block?

ColoradoDarin
10-14-2009, 06:24 AM
No way the Broncos do any deals this year and mess with the chemistry they have going on in the locker room right now.

Punisher
10-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I agree. You saw the smarts in college and he's shown the tools in the NFL, he just needs the right situation to put them together imo.

Agree with both Quinn is in the wrong place at the wrong time

cmhargrove
10-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Quinn has a "first round" type of contract. Do you want to pay Quinn 20 millionn to possibly develop, or do you think given what we have seen from McD that he can turn Brandstater into a game manager (with a nice deep ball) in a couple years?

Dorsey was chosen fifth in the draft, and makes a lot of money for not too much production. If I remember correctly, he signed a five year deal for around 50 mil. I believe that we could swing a much better deal than that. Actually, our d-line is playing at a much higher level for a fraction of the price.

Merriman - dear lord, that's a risk-reward scenario if I have ever seen one. It would be hard to stomach, and I don't know that he fits the new "selfless, team player" mold we are getting. Also, by signing a guyy like Merriman, are you setting back a guy like Ayers that is showing some potential?

I expect that if the Broncoos make any adjustments, it will be for more "journeyman" type players that fit the team mold.

meangene
10-14-2009, 06:57 AM
Dorsey was chosen fifth in the draft, and makes a lot of money for not too much production. If I remember correctly, he signed a five year deal for around 50 mil. I believe that we could swing a much better deal than that. Actually, our d-line is playing at a much higher level for a fraction of the price.

I agree our DL has exceeded all expectations and we are getting good bang for our buck. To some extent, I am looking down the road with Dorsey. But, also, I can see teams scheming to stop Doom (as N.E. did) and we did not generate much pass rush when that did happen. Dorsey might bring us a guy with the ability to generate some big plays.

Rabb
10-14-2009, 06:59 AM
I bet we get someone that is not a big name, but any move he makes I am backing...I just have faith in this guy

if anything I am for some depth moves, cannot have enough of that...other than that we need to leave the chemistry here alone

don't be shocked to see Hillis mentioned in trade rumors...just saying

Beantown Bronco
10-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Quinn has a "first round" type of contract. Do you want to pay Quinn 20 millionn to possibly develop,

Another OMane myth that keeps getting perpetuated in this thread.

If the Broncos were to pick him up and have him sit behind Orton for the season, here's what they'd have to pay him:

$655,000 this year
$700,000 next year
$700,000 in 2011

source = rotoworld

The only way he collects any "first round" bonuses from Denver is if he takes at least 70% of the snaps THIS season, which is already essentially impossible (unless he stays with the Browns and starts the rest of the season). He could start for any team next season and it wouldn't matter because his contract escalators were all based on the number of snaps he takes/has taken over his first three seasons (07-09), which he's already missed.

tsiguy96
10-14-2009, 07:06 AM
theres no reason for us to even look at quinn, browns players didnt want him why should we. orton is playing as good as anyone can ever ask him to play, to put someone behind him and make him look over his shoulder is silly, especially since thats one thing a lot of people are crediting mcdaniels with, letting orton know his job is secure (hence why he labeled him starter right away) which is one thing he never had in chicago.

cmhargrove
10-14-2009, 07:06 AM
I agree our DL has exceeded all expectations and we are getting good bang for our buck. To some extent, I am looking down the road with Dorsey. But, also, I can see teams scheming to stop Doom (as N.E. did) and we did not generate much pass rush when that did happen. Dorsey might bring us a guy with the ability to generate some big plays.

I agree - and teams already have Elvis on their radar, but the answer would be another bad ass SOLB. Also, from what we have seeen so far, Ayers just keeps getting to the QB a step after Elvis which looks good for thhe future.

Right now, I will say that kenny Peterson is playing at a higher level than Dorsey - and Kenny just seems to be getting better in this system.

My lesson learned from the last few years of Shanahan free agency? Stay away from underperforming "stars." Just because they were drafted high, doesn't mean they will ever be NFL studs.

cmhargrove
10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Another OMane myth that keeps getting perpetuated in this thread.

If the Broncos were to pick him up and have him sit behind Orton for the season, here's what they'd have to pay him:

$655,000 this year
$700,000 next year
$700,000 in 2011

source = rotoworld

The only way he collects any "first round" bonuses from Denver is if he takes at least 70% of the snaps THIS season, which is already essentially impossible (unless he stays with the Browns and starts the rest of the season). He could start for any team next season and it wouldn't matter because his contract escalators were all based on the number of snaps he takes/has taken over his first three seasons (07-09), which he's already missed.

Sorry about "myth perpetuation," I thought he signed a contract worth 20 mil that could escalate to 30mil with incentives. I still say that as Orton continues to improve, and Brandstater showed some early promise, there's no need to start from scratch.

I would rather develop Quinn than pay for Simms, but we already have three QB's on the roster that "know the system." If Orton really did get hurt this season, I would much rather see Simms out there than watch Quinn learn a new system on the fly.

meangene
10-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree - and teams already have Elvis on their radar, but the answer would be another bad ass SOLB. Also, from what we have seeen so far, Ayers just keeps getting to the QB a step after Elvis which looks good for thhe future.

Right now, I will say that kenny Peterson is playing at a higher level than Dorsey - and Kenny just seems to be getting better in this system.

My lesson learned from the last few years of Shanahan free agency? Stay away from underperforming "stars." Just because they were drafted high, doesn't mean they will ever be NFL studs.

I'm thinking Ayers is going to develop just fine at OLB and we just gave Haggins a new deal so the additional impact needs to come from the DL. I don't think Dorsey is really someone I would label an underperformer. I just think he is playing out of position in KC's 3-4 and I'm not sure he was ever really healthy last year. He is not a nose tackle. I think Mike Lombardi stated that on NFLN last night though he saw him more as a 4-3 under tackle. I think the way we play our 3-4 he would fit as a DE. Just an idea if he can be had at a reasonable price.

orange crusher
10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Pfffft, I won't believe any of these rumors until it is confirmed by WPI.

Tombstone RJ
10-14-2009, 07:36 AM

This

DenverBrit
10-14-2009, 07:37 AM
no way the broncos do any deals this year and mess with the chemistry they have going on in the locker room right now.

+1

outdoor_miner
10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see McD trade for a good return man. If Rosco Parrish can be had he may go for it... he is familiar with him from his NE days so you have to assume that if he does go after him it would be with good reason. Another name that I know Josh is familiar with and also thinks the world of is Joshua Cribbs. I think the Browns were trying to trade him toward the beginning of the year, wonder if he is still on the block?

I could actually see either one of these happening, as kick/punt returns is probably our single biggest weakness right now. McD is clearly not afraid to make a move if he thinks it will make the team better. Cribbs would be pretty friggin awesome. He's supposedly a good guy, too (despite some of the drama from the offseason).

TonyR
10-14-2009, 07:49 AM
...i truthfully wouldn't mind seein him come to Denver. i hate the guy, but a dude with a personal rudge against the Chargers is something that might be fun to have.

To the extent someone else hasn't already expressed this in the thread, I think the chances of us making a deal with San Diego approach 0. Not happening.

meangene
10-14-2009, 07:49 AM
I could actually see either one of these happening, as kick/punt returns is probably our single biggest weakness right now. McD is clearly not afraid to make a move if he thinks it will make the team better. Cribbs would be pretty friggin awesome. He's supposedly a good guy, too (despite some of the drama from the offseason).

Cribbs would be awesome! Even if he is strictly a special teams guy.

gtown
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Count me in for Cribbs. The guy is a great talent. Toss them a mid-round pick if that is all it takes. Cut Jarvis Moss. And there you have it, a complete 53 man roster that is strong in all phases.

Rohirrim
10-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I'll bet Seymour would love to get out of Chokeland and come play for McDaniels and Nolan.

gyldenlove
10-14-2009, 09:35 AM
But we had an extra 5th from trading Too Fat to Play last offseason, if I recall correctly. This stuff's hard to keep up with, but i'm pretty certain we have 1 pick in each round atm, even if they're not all our actual slots.

No, that extra 5th from Dallas was traded away during the draft in the Brandstater trade we got the Lions 6th round pick and gave up our 7th round pick (number 235) and Dallas 5th rounder in 2010.

The picks we currently own in 2010:

1st round, Chicago
2nd round, Denver
3rd round, Denver
4th round, Denver
6th round, Denver
7th round, Denver

New England has our 5th rounder, Seattle has our 1st rounder and Detroit has Dallas 5th rounder via us.

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/13/redskins-shopping-anthony-montgomery/

Redskins shopping Anthony Montgomery
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 13, 2009 2:47 PM ET
Redskins defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery was displaced in the starting lineup by Albert Haynesworth this offseason, and now might be sent right off the roster.

A league source tells PFT's Mike Florio that Montgomery is being shopped in advance of next week's trading deadline.

A starter for 21 games between 2007-2008, Montgomery has not been active this season.

The decision to shop Montgomery comes after the team found out that Philip Daniels will play through a torn biceps, and the team re-signed Renaldo Wynn Monday.

Please don't think I'm saying trade for him. :)

Mr. Elway
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I still think Quinn has potential but I don't like the idea of him coming to Denver - the last thing we need is fans and Woody calling for Quinn to start the first time Orton has a bad game. Maybe someplace that needs a QB now, like Tennessee, or otherwise a team with a very solid QB situation, to groom him as a backup or future replacement.

Broncoman13
10-14-2009, 06:08 PM
theres no reason for us to even look at quinn, browns players didnt want him why should we. orton is playing as good as anyone can ever ask him to play, to put someone behind him and make him look over his shoulder is silly, especially since thats one thing a lot of people are crediting mcdaniels with, letting orton know his job is secure (hence why he labeled him starter right away) which is one thing he never had in chicago.

This. No way I'd bring Quinn in at this point... not too much good could come from it. Whoever suggested the Vikings is barking up the right tree.

Swedish Extrovert
10-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Quinn looks like crap. But I agree, this kid can be pretty great.

rastaman
10-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Dorsey is kind of intriguing to me. I don't think you play Dorsey on the nose, and, he is a little short for a DE, but the guy could be a playmaker. Doom is undersized for an OLB too. Our DE's are playing solid football in a rotation system but none of them are standouts and Peterson and Holliday are getting up there in age. Wonder if a young guy like him could help down the road? Would KC trade with us? Maybe the McD Pioli connection helps there. What would it take?

Perhaps Mike Nolan can get the talent out of Dorsey......the new changes of scenary and the mountain air does wonders for ones soul!

ward63
10-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Honestly the only guy I would want and we could realistically get is Roscoe Parrish. Throw a 7th, conditional 6th at Buffalo and we got our return guy...well minus that -15 yarder he had against Cleveland

broncosteven
10-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Another name that I know Josh is familiar with and also thinks the world of is Joshua Cribbs. I think the Browns were trying to trade him toward the beginning of the year, wonder if he is still on the block?

I thought he got a contract at the start of the year. Wasn't he threating a hold out?

I would love to have him both at RB and WR depth.

BroncoLifer
10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
No, that extra 5th from Dallas was traded away during the draft in the Brandstater trade we got the Lions 6th round pick and gave up our 7th round pick (number 235) and Dallas 5th rounder in 2010.

The picks we currently own in 2010:

1st round, Chicago
2nd round, Denver
3rd round, Denver
4th round, Denver
6th round, Denver
7th round, Denver

New England has our 5th rounder, Seattle has our 1st rounder and Detroit has Dallas 5th rounder via us.

Correct.

Here is an excellent site for keeping track of draft picks:
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/2010.htm

Has sections for NFL, NBA, NHL & MLB.

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 10:40 PM
To the extent someone else hasn't already expressed this in the thread, I think the chances of us making a deal with San Diego approach 0. Not happening.

i know that, i should have made a point of saying that in the original post. if it could be pulled off, i would be ok with it.

and nothing is impossible. i seem to remember Al Davis trying to unload Randy Moss on us a few years ago

Paladin
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
I vote for a return man......