PDA

View Full Version : Most poorly utilized player this year?

Bob
10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
My vote is for Hillis (yes, even with his fumble, and a dumb block in the back.)

There are few things to complain about this year – but wanted to hear folks take. Some players are struggling – like Royal, but I don’t think he has been under utilized, or poorly used, but hope that Hillis can “redeem himself” so we can see some of what he was able to do last year. He can bring an explosiveness we won’t ever see from Jordan and he can catch very well out of the backfield. My hat’s off to Moreno, he has earned the starting spot, but feel like Hillis is lost in this new system, and wonder if he had a few more touches he would get his groove back, which would make us even better.

Lev Vyvanse
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
....and the false start on the goal line.

SureShot
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
When you are 5-0 nobody is being underutilized.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I think this could be the week for Hillis to get 10 touches. Broncos will want to control the clock, keep Rivers watching the game.

Buck out and Moreno also has some ball control issues. I think Broncos looking to run ball 35 times etc. To do that IMO they will need 10 carries from Hillis.

I do believe though that Mcdaniels will like the matchup Broncos oline and Graham, vs Chargers front 7. We can block every player they have.

Meck77
10-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Well Bob Royal did have 10 catches for 90 yards vs NE. He was on Coach McD's show last night and he was talking about how they've turned the corner with timing.

listopencil
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm hoping that he is getting reps in practice, I don't know. His **** ups are mental though. So maybe they can be fixed. If he could get his head out of his ass he'd be that RB that we need to pound it between the Tackles. That's the one weakness that really stands out to me in this year's Offense at the moment. We need a better short yardage running game.

Tombstone RJ
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Hillis is a weapon and I don't really understand McD's hesitation to put him into the game plans. Perhaps McD is just waiting for the right situation to bring Hillis in and get him the ball.

If Moreno needs a rest and Buckhalter is not playing, then I don't understand NOT putting Hillis in the "I" back formation and either running him up the middle, or doing some play action with him. Orton can always dump the ball off to this guy...

Not really sure what is going on. Not using Hillis is kind of a mystery to me.

listopencil
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
....and the false start on the goal line.

Yep. That just killed me. He was being given his chances and he just kept blowing them.

misturanderson
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
My vote is for Hillis (yes, even with his fumble, and a dumb block in the back.)

There are few things to complain about this year – but wanted to hear folks take. Some players are struggling – like Royal, but I don’t think he has been under utilized, or poorly used, but hope that Hillis can “redeem himself” so we can see some of what he was able to do last year. He can bring an explosiveness we won’t ever see from Jordan and he can catch very well out of the backfield. My hat’s off to Moreno, he has earned the starting spot, but feel like Hillis is lost in this new system, and wonder if he had a few more touches he would get his groove back, which would make us even better.

With how consistently Graham seems to get good yardage, I would like to see him get a couple more touches a game. I would hate to be a defensive back when that guy comes rumbling down the field.

As far as Hillis is concerned, he needs to do more with the opportunities he's been given before we see him get targeted more. He has done jack so far and while it may be due to a lack of touches, that's more his fault than anything. You screw up early in the game like he has been, you don't see the ball again that game. It's pretty simple. Maybe he'll see a little more non-blocking action when Larsen comes back. He has the talent, but he just needs to get his head in the right place.

DBroncos4life
10-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I think we would be 5-0 if we could just find away to get Hillis the ball more.

KevinJames
10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Rumor is hes not very bright and he keeps making mistakes.

WABronco
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Psh they need to sign Ahman Green and/or Shaun Alexander. Think, just a few years ago these guys were elite.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I think we would be 5-0 if we could just find away to get Hillis the ball more.

Haha awesome. I just don't understand "Play my favorite player more!!!" arguments like this. I don't see Hillis doing any better out there than Moreno or Buckhalter. That is not to say Hillis is a bad guy, I think he has a lot of talent, but why screw with what is clearly working?

Tombstone RJ
10-13-2009, 05:27 PM

I'm not buying that. The NFL ain't loaded with brains to begin with, coaches know that they are gonna have players who perhaps need a little extra coaching.

Why did McD have Hillis returning kickoffs? That's just stupid. He's not a kickoff return guy and I blame McD for Hillis's fumble more than Hillis. That was just silly of McD.

The less Hillis plays, the harder it's going to be for him to assimilate the offense, period. McD is just choosing not to use Hillis, IMHO.

s0phr0syne
10-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Just reading your thread title I automatically thought of Hillis as well.

Can't believe how quickly some of the posters on here have apparently soured on him. Just go back and watch one of those youtube highlight videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSjDe0WDuCg , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HAiaY3vps) and I feel like people will fall in love all over again. He was amazing for us when we needed him most. I know people have only seen him f*** up this year, but he was inexplicably in the doghouse last year too until they gave him some opportunities. I don't know what the deal is, but maybe he's just one of those players you have to feed the rock to and that makes him get his game on.

Other players...Sheffler until this last game. We should be closer to getting Larsen healthy, so that's something to look forward to. Yeah, so I guess besides Hillis it seems like most people are getting a chance to make plays. Well, Jarvis has been left inactive...

s0phr0syne
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Why did McD have Hillis returning kickoffs? That's just stupid. He's not a kickoff return guy and I blame McD for Hillis's fumble more than Hillis. That was just silly of McD.

I think Hillis handled KR duties in college, which was one of the reasons to get him some touches in that aspect of the game. I know he def did some PR.

Bronx33
10-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Hillis has gotten screwed over thus far hes only gotten the ball 4 times on offense he could surely help in short yardage situations.

rastaman
10-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Yep. That just killed me. He was being given his chances and he just kept blowing them.

Well Hillis does have one goal line TD already. He's made errors on Special teams.....but the question I have what is Hillis doing on special teams in the first place??? He's to valuable not to be utilized in 3rd and short, or as a receiver outof the backfield. Oh well perhaps when we lose a few games due to our inefficiency's in converting 3rd and short and coming up short in the red zone, perhaps McD will start utilizing Hillis more. By the way, Hillis would elevate Orton's dink and dunks/screen passes as well. Just give him the opportunity.

ant1999e
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Give it up already. Moreno and Buck are going to run the ball.

Pony Boy
10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm a Hillis fan like everyone else but I've learned not to second guess McDaniels, I've figured out he's a hell of a lot smarter than any of us............There has to be a reason he's had no playing time......

DBroncos4life
10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Haha awesome. I just don't understand "Play my favorite player more!!!" arguments like this. I don't see Hillis doing any better out there than Moreno or Buckhalter. That is not to say Hillis is a bad guy, I think he has a lot of talent, but why screw with what is clearly working?
I want us to use the flea flicker more.

ZONA
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Hillis has gotten screwed over thus far hes only gotten the ball 4 times on offense he could surely help in short yardage situations.

Agreed. It's not like we haven't been stuffed on some 3rd & 4th downs with 1 yard to convert. It's happened several times. On 3rd & 1, give me Hillis every time. That's not a knock on Moreno or Buckhalter but Hillis doesn't get denied often.

rastaman
10-13-2009, 05:58 PM

Hillis is a better 3rd and inches/short Rb over Moreno. However both Moreno and Hillis have great hands out of the back field. I think McD should have both Moreno and Hillis in the back field at the same time as RBBC.

Killericon
10-13-2009, 05:59 PM

I want more wishbone.

http://usera.imagecave.com/mikehalford/wishbone.jpg

Royal, Marshall, Hillis, Moreno and Buckhalter could run this thing. :strong:

rastaman
10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Agreed. It's not like we haven't been stuffed on some 3rd & 4th downs with 1 yard to convert. It's happened several times. On 3rd & 1, give me Hillis every time. That's not a knock on Moreno or Buckhalter but Hillis doesn't get denied often.

Thats 3 of us who agree. I'd love to see both Moreno and Hillis in the Red Zone together.....I bet our scoring improves dramatically.

baja
10-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Hillis is a weapon and I don't really understand McD's hesitation to put him into the game plans. Perhaps McD is just waiting for the right situation to bring Hillis in and get him the ball.

If Moreno needs a rest and Buckhalter is not playing, then I don't understand NOT putting Hillis in the "I" back formation and either running him up the middle, or doing some play action with him. Orton can always dump the ball off to this guy...

<b>Not really sure what is going on. Not using Hillis is kind of a mystery to me.

McD's comment on teaching players was sometimes they get it right away sometimes they need class room and board teaching and some players need to see it on the field over and over. He obviously was alluding to the fact that players have different levels of learning skills. I would guess Hillis needs more reps for McD to be comfortable trusting him with the ball more.

s0phr0syne
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm a Hillis fan like everyone else but I've learned not to second guess McDaniels, I've figured out he's a hell of a lot smarter than any of us............There has to be a reason he's had no playing time......

When you are 5-0 nobody is being underutilized.

I agree with what you guys are all expressing to some extent. I mean, at the end of the day many of us freaked out when McD shipped "our" franchise QB over to Chicago and was ruining our team, so I can see where a lot of people are just throwing their hands up and saying, "Well, McD has got success so let's not question what's winning."

But for some of us, the online discussion experience involves interjecting our own opinion on topics. Hopefully, we're doing it in a civil, rational way.

In that vein, I'd say there plenty of room for 2nd guessing McD for the way Hillis is being played right now. I was doing the same to Shanahan last year, before Hillis's return to action during the Miami game. I say it's better to voice those concerns now, than it will be to bring it up after we lose and have the tsiPopps-machine pop up out of nowhere and accuse us of just biding our time until we could say, "I told you so" or some such nonsense.

cabronco
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
agreed. It's not like we haven't been stuffed on some 3rd & 4th downs with 1 yard to convert. It's happened several times. On 3rd & 1, give me hillis every time. That's not a knock on moreno or buckhalter but hillis doesn't get denied often.

+1

rastaman
10-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I'd like to see Moreno-Hillis RBBC with each guy getting 15 touches each. Should we make the playoffs, Hillis and Moreno would both be fresh and not worn out and beat up.

watermock
10-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I want to know what hppenned to Scheff!

dextermilo
10-13-2009, 06:13 PM

Not really sure what is going on. Not using Hillis is kind of a mystery to me.

Hillis has worked himself into the doghouse with bad mistakes. He WAS in the game plan more early in the season and he threw away the opportunities. McD clearly had the intention of using him more but that has quickly soured.

At this point the dude's only chance is to play perfect each time he gets a chance.

Up to this point he looks to be the only guy that got that memo about being a crappy team... Certainly he has been my biggest disappointment so far.

strafen
10-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Not really sure what is going on. Not using Hillis is kind of a mystery to me.Hillis is a weapon. I totally agree
The guy can flat out break the game open for us on offense
We need to see him in there more

RhymesayersDU
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
The most underutilized is BRANDSTATER.

Pony Boy
10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd like to see Moreno-Hillis RBBC with each guy getting 15 touches each. Should we make the playoffs, Hillis and Moreno would both be fresh and not worn out and beat up.

I love it, you said the p-word.... Who would of ever thunk any of us would be saying the p-word after 5 games (fist bump) ^5

bronco militia
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
i want more wishbone.

royal, marshall, hillis, moreno and buckhalter could run this thing. :strong:

you da man!

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
you people have to remember mcdaniels considers the 3 WR set to be his base offense. He doesn't like to give defense a break and be able to go big upfront, add linebackers, remove dbacks.

What he likes to do is get that single back, 3 WR, big TE thing going. He feels the TE is better for blocking over a FB because it's easier to move him around, and you can get right at the point of attack.

baja
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Is Hillis not so bright? Anyone know? maybe he is having trouble picking up the offense.

baja
10-13-2009, 06:29 PM
you people have to remember mcdaniels considers the 3 WR set to be his base offense. He doesn't like to give defense a break and be able to go big upfront, add linebackers, remove dbacks.

What he likes to do is get that single back, 3 WR, big TE thing going. He feels the TE is better for blocking over a FB because it's easier to move him around, and you can get right at the point of attack.

That's an astute point.

Drek
10-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm not buying that. The NFL ain't loaded with brains to begin with, coaches know that they are gonna have players who perhaps need a little extra coaching.

The less Hillis plays, the harder it's going to be for him to assimilate the offense, period. McD is just choosing not to use Hillis, IMHO.

He returned throughout college and did some returns for us last year. Kinda makes sense that the guy continues to do the job he's always done, doesn't it?

And it doesn't matter what you're buying, when Hillis has made mental errors nearly every time they've put him in positions to make plays. In the Cincy game he ran up the OL's backs repeatedly, never waiting for lanes to develop. He dropped a very catchable ball on 3rd down because he was focused on the run after the catch even though just bringing it in and falling forward gets the 1st. He's had several key penalties. He fumbled an opening kick-off (thankfully it was to the Browns). He's cost the team timeouts by not knowing how to lineup properly.

He's flat out ****ting the bed in the limited opportunities he's being given. Why should they up his touches when right now he's the weakest link?

Lev Vyvanse
10-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Is Hillis not so bright? Anyone know? maybe he is having trouble picking up the offense.

As far as I can tell, in this offense he can't even get lined up properly.

Bronco Boy
10-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Arkansas is not exactly Harvard.

baja
10-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Derk just made a good post about this.

it is really the only explanation (not getting it) as to why he isn't getting more touches.

Broncofan_H
10-13-2009, 06:47 PM

We were on Hillis at the stadium because there was a play early on where we had to burn a time out because they kept having to tell him where to go and he still ended up lining up wrong. He was removed and wasn't in for the next play. It was pretty disappointing to watch because I really like him, but he seems to be blowing every chance he gets.

Bronx33
10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I hope MCD doesn't give up on him to soon.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
When you re-watch the pats game, you can see Denver blew it's first timeout because Hillis can't figure out where to lineup. He looks like his confidence is shot.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 08:06 PM
We were on Hillis at the stadium because there was a play early on where we had to burn a time out because they kept having to tell him where to go and he still ended up lining up wrong. He was removed and wasn't in for the next play. It was pretty disappointing to watch because I really like him, but he seems to be blowing every chance he gets.

Maybe he's not smart enough

SJ Bronco
10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I want more wishbone.

Royal, Marshall, Hillis, Moreno and Buckhalter could run this thing. :strong:

UUUUUUUGH! The veer offense!!! I have to prepare for that thing every year. A team in our league runs it. You's be surprised how many things you can do to change it up too. The were running Qb powers and Power end around on us. Blah! Even when you stop the damn thing, it's always possible to break a big play out of nowhere. Sorry for the rant, but I see this damn thing in my sleep sometimes...

SJ Bronco
10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
UUUUUUUGH! The veer offense!!! I have to prepare for that thing every year. A team in our league runs it. You's be surprised how many things you can do to change it up too. The were running Qb powers and Power end around on us. Blah! Even when you stop the damn thing, it's always possible to break a big play out of nowhere. Sorry for the rant, but I see this damn thing in my sleep sometimes...

I just noticed this is out of bone. Same thing, different formation.

Bob
10-13-2009, 08:15 PM

He did have a recent concussion, which I cant imagine helps in getting one's "head in the game." Sometimes if you start over-thinking things, that can result in not being able to react as quickly during games -- again, would love him to regain his old form...

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Arkansas is not exactly Harvard.

Harvard ain't Harvard anymore. Every dumb**** leader we have went there. :)

spdirty
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Dont know, Im a big Hillis fan, wanted him to be the guy here, but on Sunday I think on our first or second drive he was out there, didnt look like he knew the play, and we were forced to call a timeout. The dude really needs to focus and work himself back in there before we start to properly utilize him.

Baba Booey
10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I want Hillis instead of Jordan. That's about it though.

ward63
10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I honestly can't think of one at all....but we are 5-0

ward63
10-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I hope MCD doesn't give up on him to soon.

He's played solid on ST's except for his 2 penalties and I don't think McD will get rid of him.

Popps
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Well Bob Royal did have 10 catches for 90 yards vs NE. He was on Coach McD's show last night and he was talking about how they've turned the corner with timing.

That first down throw late in the game was a thing of beauty by Orton, and a fantastic catch. Those are the little plays that separate championship QBs from the middle of the road guys.

Not to say that Orton is a championship caliber QB, but those are the types of throws he'll have to continue to make to become one. He's on the right track and making a believer of a lot of people.

Pony Boy
10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Strengths
Hillis’s Matrices and Wonderlic test results indicate that he has the raw mental ability to learn his position requirements. In addition, his SIGMA results suggest he has a desire to physically dominate his opponents.

Weaknesses
Hillis’s SIGMA test results raise several concerns. The approach he took to learning and preparation in college produced a personal belief that he was not able to consistently execute his responsibilities in games. There are strong indications that he needs to take more personal responsibility for learning what he needs to know. His coaches should make him execute, again and again, his responsibilities in game-like time constraints. During the off-season, pre-season, and practice, he will sometimes give less than his best effort and will let up when he sees an opportunity to do so. As a result, Hillis has not always been able to meet the challenges placed in front of him by his coaches. There were times when Hillis thought he came up short of meeting his own and his coaches’ expectations. He will be concerned about the kind of system he may be placed in and whether he can be successful and meet everyone’s requirements and demands. Hillis will tend to worry that he is not as prepared as he should be going into games. This self-doubt does not speak well for his chances of advancing and mastering his position requirements at the next level. Hillis is usually content to rely heavily on his natural abilities to get by and believes that his past coaches have had little impact on his performance. He thinks that he knows best and is less likely to listen to coaches’ advice and instructions and instead will try to play the game his own way. When things are not going well for him, Hillis will be openly critical and question his coaches and his teammates.

outdoor_miner
10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Strengths
Hillis’s Matrices and Wonderlic test results indicate that he has the raw mental ability to learn his position requirements. In addition, his SIGMA results suggest he has a desire to physically dominate his opponents.

Weaknesses
Hillis’s SIGMA test results raise several concerns. The approach he took to learning and preparation in college produced a personal belief that he was not able to consistently execute his responsibilities in games. There are strong indications that he needs to take more personal responsibility for learning what he needs to know. His coaches should make him execute, again and again, his responsibilities in game-like time constraints. During the off-season, pre-season, and practice, he will sometimes give less than his best effort and will let up when he sees an opportunity to do so. As a result, Hillis has not always been able to meet the challenges placed in front of him by his coaches. There were times when Hillis thought he came up short of meeting his own and his coaches’ expectations. He will be concerned about the kind of system he may be placed in and whether he can be successful and meet everyone’s requirements and demands. Hillis will tend to worry that he is not as prepared as he should be going into games. This self-doubt does not speak well for his chances of advancing and mastering his position requirements at the next level. Hillis is usually content to rely heavily on his natural abilities to get by and believes that his past coaches have had little impact on his performance. He thinks that he knows best and is less likely to listen to coaches’ advice and instructions and instead will try to play the game his own way. When things are not going well for him, Hillis will be openly critical and question his coaches and his teammates.

Holy cow! That's crazy! Where did you find that?

baja
10-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Strengths

Weaknesses

Wow if he were injured he'd be the prototype model of a Shanahan draft candidate. ;D

Seriously that seems to be what is happening even if you wrote that yourself Pony Boy. ;D

Pony Boy
10-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Holy cow! That's crazy! Where did you find that?

Google search type in "Peyton Hillis Wonderlic" it comes up as a Micosoft Word Doc
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Peyton+Hillis+Wonderlic&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Pony Boy
10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow if he were injured he'd be the prototype model of a Shanahan draft candidate. ;D

Seriously that seems to be what is happening even if you wrote that yourself Pony Boy. ;D

No, didn't write it myself, believe me I love Hillis and I had Arkansas season tickets when he played there. It does kind of hit the nail on the head and might explain whats going on..... Here's the link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Peyton+Hillis+Wonderlic&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

outdoor_miner
10-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I think Hillis is probably the most obvious answer at this point, and probably where you were guiding us when you made this thread. :) If you would have told me at the start of the year that he would only have 4 rushes and 1 reception after Game 5, I would have been seriously pissed. The guy was the biggest bright spot on the team last year (to me). I loved the way he competed... The intensity and physicality he brought. I think his injury directly resulted in the Broncos missing the playoffs. I had very high hopes for him this year.

With that being said - he hasn't done a damn thing this year. He's been given a handful of chances, and hasn't taken advantage of them. In fact - he's done worse than simply not taken advantage... He has completely effed them up. Like bad bad mental errors. False starts as the goal line back. Fumbling kickoffs when the only reason he was returning kickoffs was because he was supposed to be able to secure the ball. These are egregious errors. I can understand why he isn't getting chances right now. I think he needs to earn them back. The team is 5-0, and has been doing just fine without him contributing. I'm not going to second guess that.

I guess this is the new Broncos, and that's not a bad thing. Don't worry about individuals... It could be a different guy each week. I do hope he gets another chance, though. I still believe that he has the ability to be a difference maker. I remember this preseason, Chris Simms said that Hillis was one of the greatest athletes he had ever seen. That is pretty high praise when you think of all the amazing athletes that Simms has probably come across in his career. I'm rooting for Peyton to figure it out. He needs to make a play... A screen pass where he makes a big gain. A devastating block as a fullback. Just something to build on. I think he has too much talent to fade into obscurity... But anything is possible, I guess.

Rock Chalk
10-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Except he has, on the goal line.

No difference there. 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 you are facing goal line defense and Hillis screwed his chance.

Im also 100% positive that McDaniels is putting the best players on the field, period. Hillis is not one of them.

Lev Vyvanse
10-13-2009, 10:32 PM
No, didn't write it myself, believe me I love Hillis and I had Arkansas season tickets when he played there. It does kind of hit the nail on the head and might explain whats going on..... Here's the link

I don't know what that **** is but one of the ratings is Self-Efficacy.
LOLHilarious!
I bet Brandon is a 10.

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Royal hasn't been struggling. for the 1st few weeks of the season while Marshall was working his way back into McDaniels good graces he was covered like our number 1 receiver fighting of coverage from either the oppositions top Corner or in many cases double coverage.

it isn't a sophomore slump, just he has been covered and Orton unlike Jay isn't going to force a pass to anyone, he spreads to the open guy.

with Marshall back as evidenced against NE, the numbers will continue to add up for Eddie.
Hillis needs to work his ass off to get McDaniels to give him another shot. seemed like everytime he was on the field he did something stupid. needs to work to show he is past the stupid mistakes.

baja
10-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I think Hillis is probably the most obvious answer at this point, and probably where you were guiding us when you made this thread. :) If you would have told me at the start of the year that he would only have 4 rushes and 1 reception after Game 5, I would have been seriously pissed. The guy was the biggest bright spot on the team last year (to me). I loved the way he competed... The intensity and physicality he brought. I think his injury directly resulted in the Broncos missing the playoffs. I had very high hopes for him this year.

With that being said - he hasn't done a damn thing this year. He's been given a handful of chances, and hasn't taken advantage of them. In fact - he's done worse than simply not taken advantage... He has completely effed them up. Like bad bad mental errors. False starts as the goal line back. Fumbling kickoffs when the only reason he was returning kickoffs was because he was supposed to be able to secure the ball. These are egregious errors. I can understand why he isn't getting chances right now. I think he needs to earn them back. The team is 5-0, and has been doing just fine without him contributing. I'm not going to second guess that.

I guess this is the new Broncos, and that's not a bad thing. Don't worry about individuals... It could be a different guy each week. I do hope he gets another chance, though. I still believe that he has the ability to be a difference maker. I remember this preseason, Chris Simms said that Hillis was one of the greatest athletes he had ever seen. That is pretty high praise when you think of all the amazing athletes that Simms has probably come across in his career. I'm rooting for Peyton to figure it out. He needs to make a play... A screen pass where he makes a big gain. A devastating block as a fullback. Just something to build on. I think he has too much talent to fade into obscurity... But anything is possible, I guess.

It's beginning to look like Hillis may have lost his confidence and feeling overwhelmed with this new scheme. This will be a good test for McDaniels' "No child left behind" coaching philosophy - can he get the light to go on for Hillis if that is the problem.

Taco John
10-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Strengths

Weaknesses

Wow! Hell of a find!

HAT
10-13-2009, 11:52 PM
but feel like Hillis is lost in this new system

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. He just seems lost.

I really hope he can find a way to earn more chances though. I don't think there's a poster on the 'Mane that doesn't consider #22 one of their fav's from last year.

broncocalijohn
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM

Im going to write McDaniels a very stern letter asking that he puts in the double reverse, flea flicker back to Orton to bomb away to Marshall. I swear it works everytime on Madden.

Blart
10-14-2009, 02:34 AM
I've never seen so much hype for a 3rd string RB.

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 02:38 AM
I've never seen so much hype for a 3rd string RB.

did you miss the entire Torain situation for over a year?

at least Hillis did a little something to earn his status as a fan favorite.

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 02:40 AM
Im going to write McDaniels a very stern letter asking that he puts in the double reverse, flea flicker back to Orton to bomb away to Marshall. I swear it works everytime on Madden.

i was hoping to see that with the Wild Horses formation against NE. pass to Orton from Moreno and Orton going down field with a pass from the receiver position.

bfoflcommish
10-14-2009, 07:29 AM

and now office space will be in my head ALLLLLLL day, thank you meck, thank you very much

~Crash~
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Well Hillis does have one goal line TD already. He's made errors on Special teams.....but the question I have what is Hillis doing on special teams in the first place??? He's to valuable not to be utilized in 3rd and short, or as a receiver outof the backfield. Oh well perhaps when we lose a few games due to our inefficiency's in converting 3rd and short and coming up short in the red zone, perhaps McD will start utilizing Hillis more. By the way, Hillis would elevate Orton's dink and dunks/screen passes as well. Just give him the opportunity.

This:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

~Crash~
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
I think hills must not block well in passing that has to be it . they want RBs to be great at is more than anything atleast I see McD state that over and over.

oubronco
10-14-2009, 09:57 AM

I'd like to see more crossing patterns and drag routes oh and some post patterns

~Crash~
10-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Strengths

Weaknesses

could someone post all of this

Bob
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Good post. I would add, that some players especially young ones may need a few more touches to get their head screwed on right, especially when thrown into a new system. Based on what he did last year, if he was playing like that now ... that would only make us a better team -- we need to be able to run better on short-down situations and in goal line situations, and I believe he is the best equiped to get us those types of yards. If he is given more time when the game is not on the line, and if that translates into more confidence when his skills are needed, and he has his head in the game, again that helps us. I have to agree that with his mental mistakes one cannot risk throwing a game away just for one player's potential development -- that's what preseasaon is for.

He was a blast to watch, maybe he will be like Watts -- and find his groove elsewhere. I would prefer that he find it with us.

~Crash~
10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Good post. I would add, that some players especially young ones may need a few more touches to get their head screwed on right, especially when thrown into a new system. Based on what he did last year, if he was playing like that now ... that would only make us a better team -- we need to be able to run better on short-down situations and in goal line situations, and I believe he is the best equiped to get us those types of yards. If he is given more time when the game is not on the line, and if that translates into more confidence when his skills are needed, and he has his head in the game, again that helps us. I have to agree that with his mental mistakes one cannot risk throwing a game away just for one player's potential development -- that's what preseasaon is for.

He was a blast to watch, maybe he will be like Watts -- and find his groove elsewhere. I would prefer that he find it with us.

you mean Hixon

Bob
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
It's beginning to look like Hillis may have lost his confidence and feeling overwhelmed with this new scheme. This will be a good test for McDaniels' "No child left behind" coaching philosophy - can he get the light to go on for Hillis if that is the problem.

Yup, and if he can, that would only make us better -- it seems like folks think I was B******* about being 5-0. Mcdaniels has made great moves this season, but it does not mean he is above questioning on a player's utilization. Often, talented folks disappear from the game forever -- and there doesnt appear to be a solid reason why. Other times they leave a team and find another where they shine -- I would love Hillis play like Hillis again. I love smash-mouth football, and his extra-effort catches. For a full-back to be able to catch like he did last year -- even his last catch of the season, showed a willingess to throw his body around (like Dawkins does now.) It may be that he is not playing with that same intensity afraid he might get injured again...who knows...

Bob
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
you mean Hixon

Hixon is now playing for the Gaints right?

Pony Boy
10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
could someone post all of this

Peyton Hillis Document

barryr
10-14-2009, 12:29 PM
One has to believe since he isn't getting many carries, McDaniels doesn't have the faith in him needed to play ahead of others. Hills has made too many mistakes this year to warrant getting the ball ahead of other players right now. Maybe that changes before the end of the season, who knows. But I'm not worrying much about it.

colonelbeef
10-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Has to be Hillis. Not much to complain about right now though, perhaps the injury is lingering

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I have to vote Moss. There is no chance that he will make it to my 8 sack prediction if he isn't playing. ;D

rastaman
10-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Yup, and if he can, that would only make us better -- it seems like folks think I was B******* about being 5-0. Mcdaniels has made great moves this season, but it does not mean he is above questioning on a player's utilization. Often, talented folks disappear from the game forever -- and there doesnt appear to be a solid reason why. Other times they leave a team and find another where they shine -- I would love Hillis play like Hillis again. I love smash-mouth football, and his extra-effort catches. For a full-back to be able to catch like he did last year -- even his last catch of the season, showed a willingess to throw his body around (like Dawkins does now.) It may be that he is not playing with that same intensity afraid he might get injured again...who knows...

Or it could be he's just not getting enough opportunities, reps, and time with the first team offense. It maybe that Hillis has more time and reps with Special teams than he's had with the first team offense.

I think its safe to say Hillis isn't a special teams player and forcing him to play special teams won't make him a great special teams player. Hillis is shouldering the curse of having been selected in the 7th round last year. We all know 5th, 6th, 7th, round players are either cut or put on special teams.

One thing is for sure, the only way he gets out of McD's dog house is to give it his best shot with improving his special teams play and be ready for RB duties/opportunities when he least expects it or thru injuries to the RB's ahead of him.

Mr. Elway
10-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Peyton Hillis Document

FASCINATING find there. That site is most definitely not supposed to be publically browsable, and it is probably a system glitch on their side that allowed Google to index it. I spent some time searching the site and my best guess it that this is a consulting company hired by NFL teams to do specialized assessments of players for the draft.

For example, if you google this:

giants site:www.hrd-rtp.com <-- (enter text only, the Mane adds the actual link)

...Google will return all results for the word "giants" within the site PonyBoy discovered (www.hrd-rtp.com). Browse through the results and it quickly becomes apparent that the Giants used these reports to help assess last years draft. The reports, just like the Hillis one, pay no attention to physical ability but focus exclusively on the mental and psychological aptitude of the player. All of our own draft picks I looked for were in there. Lichtensteiger scored really well, Clady did well, Royal was OK, Jack Williams good, etc etc.

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
At this point I don't even think he can be trusted to get coffee for the team without something going wrong.