PDA

View Full Version : Got Broncos Fever yet? We do

baja
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Got Broncos Fever yet? We do
by Bob Young - Oct. 13, 2009 02:50 PM
The Arizona Republic
Back in June, the Heat Index observed that the Denver Broncos were in such a state of disrepair that they were "threatening to replace their hated rival, the Oakland Raiders, as the NFL's laughingstock."

Turns out they're having a much better year than we are.

Our Broncos call goes right up there with our predictions of a Diamondbacks NL West Division title, a Cubs World Series victory and a pullback in the S&P 500 once it passed 1,010.

Our apologies if you took any of that to the bank or Las Vegas.

Anyway, the Broncos are all the buzz in the NFL now after beating the New England Patriots to push their record to 5-0.

Not that there isn't still skepticism out there.

The Broncos needed The Immaculate Reception II to beat the Bengals in their opener - although the Bengals, it should be noted, are 4-1 and just as surprising.

There were victories against Cleveland and, of course, the Raiders. Denver had to stop the Cowboys on fourth-and-goal at the 1 to escape with their fourth victory.

And they needed a 98-yard fourth-quarter drive to tie, and then overtime to knock off the Patriots.

Thing is, they've gotten all of it because they've put themselves into position to win games. When the breaks come, it creates belief and momentum.

But even die-hard Broncos fans were not expecting this after the start that then-32-year-old coach Josh McDaniels, dubbed "McDiapers" by some of his critics, got off to.

The former Patriots offensive coordinator tried to sneak a trade for quarterback Matt Cassel under the radar, even though the Broncos had a young Pro Bowl quarterback in Jay Cutler.

The deal didn't happen, but Cutler was miffed and forced his way out of town in a trade with Chicago for Kyle Orton. Then receiver Brandon Marshall, unhappy with his contract, tried to leverage his way out, too.

In June, Marshall even wrote a farewell to Denver fans in a blog on his website and then intentionally dropped passes during an August practice, drawing a suspension from McDiap ... McDaniels.

But the Broncos wouldn't trade him.

Orton has turned out to be the perfect fit for McDaniels' offense, and Marshall is tied for the NFL lead with four touchdown catches.

NFL.com even reports that owner Pat Bowlen now is saying Marshall is playing himself into "a much better contract."

The biggest difference, though, has been the Broncos defense.

We were sure that Dumervil was a banned substance and that Elvis was dead.

But, it turns out Elvis Dumervil is alive and well, enhancing the performance of Denver's 3-4 defense as a hybrid defensive end-linebacker.

A year ago in 16 games, Dumervil had 17 tackles and five sacks. Already this year he's got 18 tackles and eight sacks.

He is one of several Broncos benefitting from the change to the 3-4. Give McDaniels credit for hiring defensive coordinator Mike Nolan, who made the switch, and for revamping the Denver secondary and beefing up the defensive line's depth.

The results are dramatic. A year ago, the Broncos gave up an average of 28 points a game. Through five games, they lead the NFL in scoring defense at 8.6 points a game.

Type in "Josh McDaniels" on Google and it will prompt other popular searches beginning with "Josh McDaniels bio" followed immediately by "Josh McDaniels is an idiot," with "Josh McDaniels is a moron" not far behind.

We're predicting those soon will be replaced by "Josh McDaniels is a genius."

But, um, you might want to see how the Broncos do in San Diego on "Monday Night Football" before you take that to the bank or Vegas.

NYBronco
10-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Never really understood why McDaniels has been the target of all the negative nancy talk. All he did was accept a coaching position that was opened when Shanahan was let go. And its even more odd that the name calling and negative nancy talk continues.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Never really understood why McDaniels has been the target of all the negative nancy talk. All he did was accept a coaching position that was opened when Shanahan was let go. And its even more odd that the name calling and negative nancy talk continues.

It's the expectation of an I-told-you-so moment in the future that the naysayers will harp on so that they can claim in hindsight to have been right. Some people would rather win the argument than the game.

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Bottom line is 5-0, and a solid 5-0. Not a lot of smoke and mirrors kind of stuff.

baja
10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Bottom line is 5-0, and a solid 5-0. Not a lot of smoke and mirrors kind of stuff.

Today on the NFL network the talking heads were saying NE cost themselves the game, mostly on Brady for missing Moss and under throwing Welker.

strafen
10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Winning cures everything
I was actually stoked when we hired McDaniels. I know a lot of people wanted a defensive minded coach, but I thought McDaniels was going to be instrumental in the development of Cutler as a QB
I thought for sure he would correct a lot of Jay's bad tendencies and make him into a bonafide star QB in the NFL
But as we all know by now, that didn't happen, yet, McDaniels has quiet all the critics and he's having so far a great start in his young coaching career...

Pony Boy
10-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I got the Fever... but I need a little more cowbell.....

NYBronco
10-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Today on the NFL network the talking heads were saying NE cost themselves the game, mostly on Brady for missing Moss and under throwing Welker.

That's hilarious... they fail to mention that Denver gave NE two golden opportunities on ST penalties that prolonged a failed drive.

NYBronco
10-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Smoke and mirrors is the term Colin Cowherd used to descibe Denver's 4 and 0 start after beating Dallas.

baja
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
That's hilarious... they fail to mention that Denver gave NE two golden opportunities on ST penalties that prolonged a failed drive.

They grudgingly gave Denver some credit for good D but they blamed the NE D for loosing personal and therefore not being the same high quality defense, they were more about NE's D being weaker than our O being anything special.

The underlying sentiment was Denver will be exposed soon and have been lucky so far.

Sassy
10-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Yeah well, they do have a mancrush and a very huge poster of Brady behind their desk.

baja
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Well he is Hollywood handsome. ;D

Greatspirits
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Smoke and mirrors is the term Colin Cowherd used to descibe Denver's 4 and 0 start after beating Dallas.

Colin Cowterd is an Idiot!

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 08:01 PM

Sure, that had something to do with getting shut out in the second half.

Denver pretty much kicked their ass, that could have something to do with it also.

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 08:13 PM
They grudgingly gave Denver some credit for good D but they blamed the NE D for loosing personal and therefore not being the same high quality defense, they were more about NE's D being weaker than our O being anything special.

The underlying sentiment was Denver will be exposed soon and have been lucky so far.

When a team only has 18 first downs total as NE had, and only 2 first downs in the 2nd half, and doesn't get the benefit of turnovers in the second half, they were lucky to be even close. NE has some competitors on their team.

Chris
10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
He took a call about Cassel. He didn't try to trade for him. Someone needs to set this straight.

baja
10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
When a team only has 18 first downs total as NE had, and only 2 first downs in the 2nd half, and doesn't get the benefit of turnovers in the second half, they were lucky to be even close.<b> NE has some competitors on their team.

They sure do! It was like a playoff game on Sunday. It was a great football game to watch and that's what i've been talkin about, getting to see the Denver Broncos playing good football week in week out. At first that was all I was asking out of McD & company but then you could see signs that maybe Bowlen brought in a real gem. After watching that first game and seeing how much effort the guys were giving I begin to think hey this could be special this team was showing signs it has all the elements of a top team. I have been saying 6 & 0 for some time now.

I'm so impressed with how this team has grown every week. It's like they morph every week into a much much better team, the rate of growth is eye popping. I wish I had a feel for the depth of this team, lots of vets and a long season especially at the level of intensity these guys are playing at. I plan to enjoy every minute of this season. ;D

HAT
10-13-2009, 09:43 PM

I've been down with the system since Shanny was fired, McD was hired, Cut was traded, etc....

I've also been down with betting on the Broncos as dogs along with the under almost every week so far....

I've also been enjoying the MSM backtrack along with the "wait until they play so and so" mantra......

That being said, CC knows WTF he is talking about and I have to almost agree here.....

From the outside looking in:

Yes the tip was lucky, yes CLE & OAK suck, yes Denver needed a goal line stop vs. Dallas, yes the NE game can be construed as 'winning the coin toss".

This is my first waiver about this team since 1/1/09....That being said, GO BRONCOS.

SD is as desperate as you will see a team in October....McD has shown me enough so far to buy into the fact that he won't let this team suffer a let down (even after his mini super bowl).....Now I just want to see it on the field. If they get past this one on Monday I truly believe that this team will not lose until possibly Indy.

HAT
10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
PS...The above post is only because I've been wagering on the NFL far longer than I care to admit.....

This is a bad, bad situational spot for our Broncos....I feel dirty for doubting McD and company for the first time.

Let me just add the 2009 OM rallying cry here......"I hope I'm wrong"

baja
10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I've been down with the system since Shanny was fired, McD was hired, Cut was traded, etc....

I've also been down with betting on the Broncos as dogs along with the under almost every week so far....

I've also been enjoying the MSM backtrack along with the "wait until they play so and so" mantra......

That being said, CC knows WTF he is talking about and I have to almost agree here.....

From the outside looking in:

Yes the tip was lucky, yes CLE & OAK suck, yes Denver needed a goal line stop vs. Dallas, yes the NE game can be construed as 'winning the coin toss".

This is my first waiver about this team since 1/1/09....That being said, GO BRONCOS.

<b>SD is as desperate as you will see a team in October...</b>.McD has shown me enough so far to buy into the fact that he won't let this team suffer a let down (even after his mini super bowl).....Now I just want to see it on the field. If they get past this one on Monday I truly believe that this team will not lose until possibly Indy.

I hear that HAT!

I'm counting on coaching being the difference.

I think McD & Nolan are the difference in this one. Which is high praise for them but I really think they are that much of impact. Norv can not prepare for McD.

This young man is going to get COY you watch.

HAT
10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I hear that HAT!

I'm counting on coaching being the difference.

I think McD & Nolan are the difference in this one. Which is high praise for them but I really think they are that much of impact. Norv can not prepare for McD.

This young man is going to get COY you watch.

I agree baja that Denver has the coaching advantage big time....Me, you, Errand, Alec and a handful of others have been on an island since spring so that's why I almost feel dirty for being worried about this one......

On paper, Denver should control this start to finish (even though they've sucked balls in the 1H so far).....

I hope it plays out that way but the MSM love (Knowsh getting ROW 2 back, KO getting POW LW, McD being on MNF half time show, Clayton et al finally giving them credit) is enough to scare me....

I'm really going to be worried if the handicapping public sides with Denver +4 here. I know many here will scoff at that but that's just the way stuff works in the NFL more often than not.

PS....I hope Hochuli is not doing this game! :thumbs:

HAT
10-13-2009, 10:28 PM
And OBTW....No offense to Popps, TSI and the many others that have been on that island with us since the beginning. I was drunk and in a hurry!

d:-)

baja
10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree baja that Denver has the coaching advantage big time....Me, you, Errand, Alec and a handful of others have been on an island since spring so that's why I almost feel dirty for being worried about this one......

On paper, Denver should control this start to finish (even though they've sucked balls in the 1H so far).....

<b>I hope it plays out that way but the MSM love (Knows getting ROW 2 back, KO getting POW LW, McD being on MNF half time show, Clayton et al finally giving them credit) is enough to scare me....</b>

I'm really going to be worried if the handicapping public sides with Denver +4 here. I know many here will scoff at that but that's just the way stuff works in the NFL more often than not.

PS....I hope Hochuli is not doing this game! :thumbs:

Sure fame can be a killer for this team if they were to get into ego and let the special bond they have to slip away but there a lot of vets on this team who already have plenty of money that really really want a ring so the will keep it real and focused. One reason why it was so brilliant to bring Dawkins and Co.

The more I look at the make up of this team it's like a perfect storm brewing.

Actually that was my name for the D in a thread awhile back, now I see is more applicable to the whole team - The Perfect Storm. ;D

TheReverend
10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Frankly, I'm just mad that I didn't think of McDiapers back when I doubted him.

baja
10-13-2009, 11:02 PM

Funny I thought that about you when I read that.

HAT
10-13-2009, 11:10 PM

Say what Rev? Wasn't that term all over the 'Mane 6 months ago? :~ohyah!:

Mogulseeker
10-13-2009, 11:30 PM

I loved that comment... something along the lines of "this should have been a Patriots blowout."

broncocalijohn
10-13-2009, 11:39 PM

He still doesnt believe after 5 and 0. Im used to it as we have some of those right here at the Mane. I like how they try to spin it their way every week. Next week we might have to wait until Tuesday instead of Monday to do it but it is well worth it.