PDA

View Full Version : Has Cassel been worth it to KC?

lex
10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Just curious to see what people have thought of KC. Do you think he was worth the money/pick KC gave for him? He's been kind of meh so far. Im not blaming the losing on him but he has looked kind of average from what Ive seen.

What do you think of Cassel so far?

Peoples Champ
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
i havent watched him play, I saw they gave dallas a good run, but didnt really see his highlights, I guess 0 wins tells you something, even if he is playing well.

crowebomber
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Just curious to see what people have thought of KC. Do you think he was worth the money/pick KC gave for him? He's been kind of meh so far. Im not blaming the losing on him but he has looked kind of average from what Ive seen.

When a team makes that deal to get a franchised guy, you expect him to be a top five player immediately. Obviously he is not that right now, and I don't ever see him being a top 5 qb.

Bronco LB52
10-13-2009, 02:45 PM
He is probably not worth the $60 million plus investment, but I would like to see Cassel play behind a decent offensive line. The Chiefs' porous offensive line and Larry Johnson's suckitude are the main reasons why the KC offense has underperformed.

Hotrod
10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
He is probably not worth the $60 million plus investment, but I would like to see Cassel play behind a decent offensive line. The Chiefs' porous offensive line and Larry Johnson's suckitude are the main reasons why the KC offense has underperformed.

This

Its hard to really rate him because of the trash surrounding him.

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Considering what they gave up? No.

oubronco
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Dude gets put on his ass everytime he goes to throw

Bronco Boy
10-13-2009, 03:04 PM
It's absolutely pointless to waste money on what you think is a top QB when your line is so horrible. See Carr, David.

boltaneer
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
It's absolutely pointless to waste money on what you think is a top QB when your line is so horrible. See Carr, David.

Yep.

Thingpen and Croyle would have been cheaper options with the same result.

The Joker
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
He's actually done OK, but that team is pathetic.

Jay Cutler himself would struggle behind the O-Line.

enjolras
10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
He sure seems like a Tony Romo to me (not exactly in style/ability, but more in terms of substance). He's had flashes of brilliance, flashes of idiocy, and very little in the way of consistency. He is most definitely not a 'franchise QB' at this point. I don't think he ever will be, but I do think he might develop into a pretty nice quarterback. Much like Trent Green did in K.C. before.

Tombstone RJ
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM

0-5

'Nuff said.

DarkHorse30
10-13-2009, 03:54 PM
McD faked interest so that KC would take him.

I'm kidding.

.....but seriously, Cassel has that "deer in headlights" look on him....not quite as bad as this guy
http://archive.profootballtalk.com/RecheSurprised.jpg
but durned close. Maybe too much caffeine or something

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Cassell has definite NFL starter skills.

UberBroncoMan
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/mattcassel/profile?id=CAS541133

7 TD's only 2 INT'S and an 85.1 QB rating to go with 14 sacks.

That's pretty damn good considering what he has around him.

BTW Orton's had 8 sacks already.

DenverBrit
10-13-2009, 04:00 PM
They could have gone 0-5 for a lot less money. ;D

baja
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Cassell has definite NFL starter skills.

but is he worth 60 million to a rebuilding team.

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
but is he worth 60 million to a rebuilding team.

Well, I don't know what he cost, but he has definite NFL starter skills. He's young still. Dude threw a TD to Vrabel Sunday, that's a trivia question for the future. I'm gonna bring that one up a few years from now as an NFl trivia winner.

gyldenlove
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
It is difficult to say, obviously spending that much money on a player when you lose every game isn't worth it, but if he had talent around him they would have a lot more success.

crowebomber
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, I don't know what he cost, but he has definite NFL starter skills. He's young still. Dude threw a TD to Vrabel Sunday, that's a trivia question for the future. I'm gonna bring that one up a few years from now as an NFl trivia winner.

He's costing them $14.6 million this year. More than Brady is costing the Patriots this year.

Br0nc0Buster
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
He isnt worth the contract they gave him, and I am not sure if he can ever be an elite player

But so far he has done a decent job IMO

Bowe is the only good player on the offense

BlaK-Argentina
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
No, he would've been worth that contract (MAYBE) for a team like Minnesota but not for the Chiefs.

Merlin
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Jay Cutler himself would struggle behind the O-Line.
Any QB would struggle behind that OL, the question is whether they would struggle to the same degree. Those of us that have been getting the Bears game as the option in Satellite, have seen that he has succeeded despite his line not being much better (his RB has been injured so they have not had any running game thus far, although Forte did manage to put together two good runs in his last game). The difference is that Cutler is much more mobile and has a quick release. Cassel was a sack risk behind a decent line like NE, in KC he is at risk of serious harm. Cassel will succeed if they get him the same type of line they had for Green...easier said than done.

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 05:35 PM
He's costing them $14.6 million this year. More than Brady is costing the Patriots this year.

All I'm saying is Cassell has NFL skills. That's it. That's my analysis, and how much he cost isn't part of that. Dude can play and he'll be the KC starter for the next 5 years. I'm not his agent, jeez.

Tombstone RJ
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm not sure that's the case with his current contract. IF the chefs would have not given him a new contract, then yes, they'd have to pay him $14.6m for this one season...

Bronx33
10-13-2009, 05:42 PM
he's actually done ok, but that team is pathetic.

jay cutler himself would struggle behind the o-line.

may! God strike you down!!!!

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
No he wasn't worth the big money they paid.

The big question is how much do we have to give Orton. I would think in that 2nd teir of starting QB deals.

Gort
10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
the Chefs are 0-5. i'm more than happy with Cassel's play. i'm ecstatic. just like i am happy with Russell's play in Oakland... since, I'm a BRONCOS fan!

duh.

Bob's your Information Minister
10-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Cassel has 7 TD and 2 INT. With this line and receivers? Amazing.

He'll be fine once they solve those issues. The throws he made at the end of regulation Sunday were proof enough.

azbroncfan
10-13-2009, 06:34 PM

He'll be fine once they solve those issues. The throws he made at the end of regulation Sunday were proof enough.

I agree that Cassel has look decent when I have seen him but I heard Raider fans make the same statement about Russell for his game against KC this year.

strafen
10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
He has bombed in KC so far this season...
I don't know if it is because of lack of talent on the offense, lack of running game, or not comfortable with the system.
I thought his addition to KC would had paid better dividends by now...
I expect Pioli to make some moves to build the team for next year.

Greatspirits
10-13-2009, 07:50 PM
What happens if they have a chance to draft Sam Bradford next year? With all that money there paying Cassell do they do it!

KipCorrington25
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
They over paid but I've thought he's looked decent considering that horrible team he is surrounded with.

Bronx33
10-13-2009, 07:52 PM
I would think this question would be better asked at the end of the season.

broncosteven
10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I have watched a lot of all of KFC's games this year.

I don't think Steve Bono 2.0 is worth 60mil. They have so many needs it is not even funny anymore.

That said I think Haley is the biggest mistake this year. The dude is outcoached every week, stands around looking unprepared on the sidelines. It didn't help that they fired their OC a week before the season started but they don't have TG to step up and make a big play, They keep trying to get LJ outside, their Oline is bad.

They have a good D that gets alot of TO's and scores but it is not enough to compensate for a bad 1st time HC and weak O.

Thank god we got the one good 1st time HC this year!

Irish Stout
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
What happens if they have a chance to draft Sam Bradford next year? With all that money there paying Cassell do they do it!

My guess is no, and not because of the money they're paying Cassel. I think they know they need to give Cassel more to work with. I would guess that if they have Bradford at the spot they'll work out a trade.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 09:03 PM

He's not a bad Qb, just not worth what you gave him. Also with the mistakes made upfront on the oline it could be 2-3 yrs yet before the offense is good.

Also need to find a couple more WR to go with Bowe, not easy to do.

Also need to find a RB, Johnson is done, and Charles needs to be given the ball. Find out if he can run in the NFL.

The fact you think Chiefs positioned well is a joke. There are in the worst shape in the NFL. Hell even Raiders better then you.

How you can even talk smack on any other team is amazing. The Chiefs stink. You will agree i know but they are actually even worst then that.

Also they hired Haley which IMO was a big mistake.

BroncoLifer
10-13-2009, 09:18 PM

See Manning, Archie.

watermock
10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
I watched the KC/Dallas game. Dallas really didn't look that good and the Chefs looked their equal except Austin had a huge game.

Frankly, I was very impressed how both Miami and the Jets played last night.

TheReverend
10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Considering what they gave up? No.

wtf?

They gave up a 2nd for him AND Vrabel...

No matter how you look at it, that's a bargain.

scorpio
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM

GoChiefs, your presence is requested in this thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=84795