PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Wildcat is gimmickry and a fad?

lex
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Just curious to know what people think about it.

I typically like listening to Jaworski but I think he's wrong. He said suggested its gimmickry and not well founded Xs and Os. Xs and Os is exactly what it is. When you consider that there are probably certain situations and formations out of which a team is so likely to run that the defense is committed to it, you might as well use the extra blocker assuming thats why youre using the wildcat.

Do you think its here to stay?

jhat01
10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm sure it will be around. It's solid "situational" change of pace.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Miami uses it as their primary power running game. I think its more of a trend than a gimmick. Like the run and shoot

Broncoman13
10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I am kinda on the fence on this one. The option is solid Xs and Os as well and affords the same extra blocker if you want, but it's never worked in the NFL as a staple of any offense... So, with that in mind... I'll go with Gimmick.

rbackfactory80
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Depends on where you personnel strengths are. If you have the right personnel then run it. If you have a QB like Tom Brady or Manning you probably would rather have the ball in their hands.

theAPAOps5
10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I think its a trend. A gimmick is a double reverse or a fake punt. The wildcat or wildhorse is used much like a screen. It can neutralize a defenses strength, it can confuse them, it can force them to plug key gaps reducing their ability to control other parts of the field. So essentially it gets defenses to change the way they play which makes it much more effective than a gimmick play. A gimmick is used to catch a team off guard for a big play. Its a one and done type thing. Will it become a trend like the shotgun, no way. But I see it sticking around and being a staple in many offenses down the road.

Peoples Champ
10-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I like it because it says you know your running, and we are still going to jam it down your throat (yes, occasionally its a pass)

cmhargrove
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Depends on where you personnel strengths are. If you have the right personnel then run it. If you have a QB like Tom Brady or Manning you probably would rather have the ball in their hands.

This.

Some teams can run the spread offense really well, other teams use traditional inside running, there are West Coast teams, there are Single Wing teams.

It's all about creating mismatches and slowing down the defense. The fact that single wing has been around so long is a testament to the "overload" principles involved. But once again, it's all about having the right personnel to make it work.

There was a good long stretch when people thought the 3-4 defense was basically dead - look at it now.

lex
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I like it because it says you know your running, and we are still going to jam it down your throat (yes, occasionally its a pass)

I kind of agree. If the other team can pretty much guess that youre going to be running the ball when you have double TEs on a 3rd and 3, why do you really need someone to hand the ball to the RB when that one person could be an extra blocker.

gyldenlove
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I think its a trend. A gimmick is a double reverse or a fake punt. The wildcat or wildhorse is used much like a screen. It can neutralize a defenses strength, it can confuse them, it can force them to plug key gaps reducing their ability to control other parts of the field. So essentially it gets defenses to change the way they play which makes it much more effective than a gimmick play. A gimmick is used to catch a team off guard for a big play. Its a one and done type thing. Will it become a trend like the shotgun, no way. But I see it sticking around and being a staple in many offenses down the road.

I agree, it is a trend. It is a way to knock the defense out of their comfort zone or use their strength against them or play to a weakness.

I think the idea of drafting QBs who can run like Pat White for the expressed purpose of running the wild-appropriate-animal formation is going to go away very quickly, there is no reason to do it and it puts a player on the field who could be replaced by a better player, if you are going to pass the ball anyway you might as well put your good QB on and if you are going to run it then you put another blocker on.

The formation as such is old and has come and gone, I think it will be here for a while before it will fade away, like the run option and other plays that are hard to defend against if you are not prepared but have severe weaknesses if the defense is propperly prepared.

At the end of the day not a lot of people are happy about taking the ball away from their best players, and if you have someone other than your top QB passing the ball that is exactly what you are doing.

One thing I could imagine come out of this would be a double QB play, with two passers in the backfield, you have the option of a lateral and then downfield pass play, it is essentially like a double pass except instead of a runningback or WR you have a QB throw it and you only have one lateral instead of the pitch and then back pass to the QB.

manchambo
10-13-2009, 02:44 PM
I haven't watched it very much. But it seems to me that, for it to be much more than a gimmick, you would need to be able to pass out of it very occassionally.

We'll know that the Broncos are serious about it if Moreno ever throws the ball, or pitches it to Orton to throw it.