PDA

View Full Version : Marshall news from Bowlen

MrPeepers
10-13-2009, 12:56 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/13/broncos-bowlen-heaps-praise-on-marshall-mcdaniels/

Steve Wyche
Broncos’ Bowlen heaps praise on Marshall, McDaniels

Posted: October 13th, 2009 | Steve Wyche | Tags: Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos, Jay Cutler, Josh McDaniels, Kyle Orton, NFL Fall League Meeting

BOSTON — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”

“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”

Marshall, who asked to be traded and later was suspended because of insubordinate behavior at a preseason practice, has played well the past two weeks for the 5-0 Broncos. At least publicly, Marshall has shown a more amicable attitude toward McDaniels after a contentious offseason.

As for McDaniels and his team’s hot start, Bowlen said, “Things couldn’t be any better.”

Bowlen went on: “We took some early criticism hiring a young coach — he was 32 years old at the time — and were questioned about what he was going to be able to do. He’s been terrific. It’s been extremely important as we got into the process of him being a head coach, that the way he’s handled particular situations was well beyond his years. He’s proven he is ready.”

Bowlen singled out the way McDaniels singularly absorbed the criticism for trading Pro Bowl QB Jay Cutler to the Bears in exchange for Kyle Orton and draft picks, although it was an organizational decision.

orangeatheist
10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Attaboy, ya drunk bastard!

hades
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Cheers!

Los Broncos
10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Go back to drinking :)

theAPAOps5
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Some people thought he lost it, some questioned his ability to own the team financially. Others joked about his drinking. But so far his decision has clearly been a great one. Good on him!

Smiling Assassin27
10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
4 words:

This

One's

For

JOSH

Blart
10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Pay the man!

HEAV
10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Baby steps with Marshall baby steps. He's doing great after the time-out, but needs to continue the good play on and off the field.

"Respect is not given, it's earned." So are new BIG money contracts!

ZONA
10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I just hope they don't lose Marshall with this wait till next year crap. Just watch, somebody is going to offer a higher contract then us and we will be forced to either give him up for some picks or tag him.

F U Bowlen, pay him now.

bpc
10-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Maybe he makes better decisions when he's drunk?

baja
10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Baby steps with Marshall baby steps. He's doing great after the time-out, but needs to continue the good play on and off the field.

Unless of course your name is Dale Carter.

fontaine
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I just hope they don't lose Marshall with this wait till next year crap. Just watch, somebody is going to offer a higher contract then us and we will be forced to either give him up for some picks or tag him.

F U Bowlen, pay him now.

Read this part again, slowly.

“Brandon understands that he’s got a year left on his present deal, but if he keeps playing the way he is, he’s going to get a very significant raise — a much better contract,” Bowlen said Tuesday at the NFL Fall League Meeting. “That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.”

Vegas_Bronco
10-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Seriously, how lucky has this mofo been the past 15 years!

DenverBrit
10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
BOSTON — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said Josh McDaniels is maturing into the head coach he expected him to be and that WR Brandon Marshall is playing himself into a “significant raise.”

"Here Brandon, I've got a raise for you."

http://www.mudtrap.com/images/funny-santa-drunk-graphic.jpg

Dr. Broncenstein
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM

:rofl:

Houshyamama
10-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Since when has being drunk been a bad thing?

*slurps Coors Light*

Bowlen is okay in my book.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM

F U Bowlen, pay him now.

We can franchise him or transition him. Plus no playoff teams next yr can sign players unless they first lose players. There won't be the movement you think there is going to be.

Broncos in a great spot to keep all the FA they want.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
If we franchise him how much would teams have to give us to sign him? Is it first and 3rd, or 2 firsts?

rastaman
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Read this part again, slowly.

So where in Bowlen's statement does it say Brandon will agree to Bowlen's counter offer if other teams are offering more for his services!!! Bowlen is dreaming if he believes Brandon will sign an owner-HC-team friendly contract. Bowlen is only behaving coyly.....he knows Brandon will ask to be paid as the top 5 WR and Brandon won't come cheap.8')

rastaman
10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
If we franchise him how much would teams have to give us to sign him? Is it first and 3rd, or 2 firsts?

I heard its a 1st and 4th.

rastaman
10-13-2009, 04:30 PM

Brandon's got a "Middle Finger" for you! Can you handle it??:wiggle:

Bronx33
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
“That’s the way it goes, and Brandon has accepted that.

I wished brandon would have figured that out along time ago.

Merlin
10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
And on the field he has more than earned them. He deserves more than baby steps. The team can protect itself against stupidity that may occur off the field (but somehow I think he is learning to curve that one considering he hung-out with Rod Smith during his suspension).

DenverBrit
10-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Brandon's got a "Middle Finger" for you! Can you handle it??:wiggle:

Broncos are 5-0, can YOU handle it?? Ha!

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Marshall is in the fold. He'll get offered a nice contract. He's not going anywhere via FA.

TheDave
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I've ridden the BMarsh roller coaster already... For now I'll enjoy his production.

But it wouldn't surprise me if he was arrested tomorrow.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Broncos are 5-0, can YOU handle it?? Ha!

He's still waiting for them to lose so he can make us all eat crow.

ZONA
10-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Brandon has accepted that, that's just the way it goes..............my ass. Great players don't just play at a probowl level for 3 straight years while being grossly under paid. Most of them want more money and get more money.

I just hope Brandon isn't playing Bowlen and decides he's going to take a higher contract some place else next year. Why even go through all that hassle. You know you will be offering him the big contract at the end of the year so just do it now and get it over with and avoid all that FA hassle.

Kid A
10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
4 words:

This

One's

For

JOSH

After the criticism of this offseason, if the Broncos win a Super Bowl in the next few years Pat can dedicate the trophy to himself.

Cito Pelon
10-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Brandon has accepted that, that's just the way it goes..............my ass. Great players don't just play at a probowl level for 3 straight years while being grossly under paid. Most of them want more money and get more money.

I just hope Brandon isn't playing Bowlen and decides he's going to take a higher contract some place else next year. Why even go through all that hassle. You know you will be offering him the big contract at the end of the year so just do it now and get it over with and avoid all that FA hassle.

He's not an FA.

rmsanger
10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
So does he get somewhere between $6 - $10MM per year? I would guess it would be 6-8 assuming he continues to produce to his off the field issues cease.

HEAV
10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Unless of course your name is Dale Carter.

Oh no you did-tant Baja! ;D

But again that was the old coach:wiggle:

New coach don'y play that sh** :thumbs:

HEAV
10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
And on the field he has more than earned them. He deserves more than baby steps. The team can protect itself against stupidity that may occur off the field (but somehow I think he is learning to curve that one considering he hung-out with Rod Smith during his suspension).

Still with his history you have to keep an eye on him. Next five months he will still have to Earn his deal.

I agree the team will havethe contract set with strong conditions of his off-field behavior.

He's made steps to get on board and I hope he stays on the right track. His talent is great and if he can stay outta trouble he could be one of the best.

It's all on him now.

Spider
10-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I didnt understand alot of peoples reaction to this , Pat Bowlen loves this team ...... as I said along time ago Bowlen signs the checks

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2009, 11:08 PM

F U Bowlen, pay him now.

i think talks are already under way. before the end of the season Marshall will have a long term deal.

Bowlen would not be talking about a new deal for him if he had intentions of doing a wait and see with him.

KillerBronco#76
10-14-2009, 01:53 AM
you guys do realize that Marshall is going to be the highest paid receiver in the league when he gets his new contract right?

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 02:32 AM

isn't it something like a 1st plus a pick in the round the player was drafted?

BroncoMan4ever
10-14-2009, 02:35 AM
you guys do realize that Marshall is going to be the highest paid receiver in the league when he gets his new contract right?

no way! top 10 yes, but not going to be the top money earner at the WR position. his off field problems and possible lengthy suspension will drop his yearly salary asking price down at least a million if not more. he will get something very in line with Roddy White's deal. big money but not highest paid in the league.

he is a very good receiver and can be great, but he isn't the best in the league, and won't get paid like he is.

baja
10-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I love Pat Bowlen and respect his decisions but when it comes to making public comments he should take a lesson from his pal Shanahan and talk for a few minuets without saying anything.

DenverBrit
10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I love Pat Bowlen and respect his decisions but when it comes to making public comments he should take a lesson from his pal Shanahan and talk for a few minuets without saying anything.

Agreed! He should keep it brief.

"This one's for John," was one of his finest public speeches. ;D

rastaman
10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
no way! top 10 yes, but not going to be the top money earner at the WR position. his off field problems and possible lengthy suspension will drop his yearly salary asking price down at least a million if not more. he will get something very in line with Roddy White's deal. big money but not highest paid in the league.

he is a very good receiver and can be great, but he isn't the best in the league, and won't get paid like he is.

Ummmmmmmm......something tells me Brandon isn't going to just sign a owner/team cap friendly new contract w/o putting feelers out there what other teams are willing to pay him. Brandon will get advice and estimates on what his worth is when FA starts.

Both Bowlen and Brandon realize the NFL is a business and as result each will look for a deal thats in their own best interests. Just b/c Bowlen could decide that Brandon shouldn't receive a salary as the top 5 paid WR in the NFL, other teams may beg to differ and offer to make Brandon one of the top paid WR in the league. Those far, Brandon has won two out of the 5 games this season.

Should this trend continue for the reaminder of the season other teams will take notice! Should Denver go deep into the playoffs and its largely due to Brandon's performance and he returns to the Pro Bowl for the 3rd year in a row; his value on what he brings to the table increases immensely.

Point is, if Brandon's performance thus far is helping to put Denver over the top.......what do you think other teams will believe what Brandon can do for them. Thats right! teams will believe Brandon can put them over the top or take them to the next level.

ward63
10-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Anybody see them just talk about this on ATH?

misturanderson
10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
isn't it something like a 1st plus a pick in the round the player was drafted?

That's if he's a RFA and we give him the highest tender. It's 2 firsts for a franchised player. Not sure about the transistion tag (or really even when that can be used).

tsiguy96
10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Anybody see them just talk about this on ATH?

even though that show is ****ing awful and woody paige might be the worst sports reporter in the country, what did they say?