PDA

View Full Version : When did you turn into a playoff believer?

Blart
10-13-2009, 12:24 AM
The playoff bandwagon was nearly empty at the beginning, but it's filling up nicely now. Even a few analysts have jumped on!

Think back, when did you first believe?

EDIT: I'd like to apologize to the citizens of Ohio for my spelling of their fine city.

tsiguy96
10-13-2009, 12:28 AM
after dallas game probably, showed the team can overcome issues AND play hard in the 2nd half of a game, how long has it been since that happened?

before that was just building up to the team playing great, but they sustained against better opponents. NE game just reaffirmed it.

Taco John
10-13-2009, 12:37 AM
March 21st on the record (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2346702&post2346702)

I never doubted that this team had the talent to compete in this division. I never dreamed that we'd be 5-0 right now though.

Blart
10-13-2009, 12:40 AM
For me it was the Cleveland game, not just because of how the Broncos played, but a couple other factors as well:
Cinci's offense racking up points on the much-hyped Packers.
Oakland playing horrible football (which meant that SD must really SD to barely beat them.)
SD losing to Baltimore.

I thought we had a wild card shot (or AFC West division win, which is almost the same thing) at that point. Now I look at our schedule and the only truly scary team is the Colts. And by scary I mean scary for me, I don't think Dawkins & Co fear anyone.

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2009, 02:01 AM
i didn't expect a 5-0 start to this season, but i did call for playoffs and a 10-6 or 11-5 record with a division crown, and was given so much **** for it, for being a homer that was blind to the fact that without Cutler we were doomed to mediocrity for the next decade.

also called that Orton was going to play great for us.

BroncoMan4ever
10-13-2009, 02:03 AM
For me it was the Cleveland game, not just because of how the Broncos played, but a couple other factors as well:
Cinci's offense racking up points on the much-hyped Packers.
Oakland playing horrible football (which meant that SD must really SD to barely beat them.)
SD losing to Baltimore.

I thought we had a wild card shot (or AFC West division win, which is almost the same thing) at that point. Now I look at our schedule and the only truly scary team is the Colts. And by scary I mean scary for me, I don't think Dawkins & Co fear anyone.

Chuck Norris only fears 1 thing. Denver's secondary.

chickennob2
10-13-2009, 04:26 AM
First camp report. Just the lIst of changes in the way the team practice and prepared. I started to believe it was possible.

Ratboy
10-13-2009, 04:40 AM
http://pigjockey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/g829-310star-wars-trilogy-a-new-hope-posters.jpg

That's all I have to say.

Ratboy
10-13-2009, 04:48 AM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ic9qth.jpg

BroncoInSkinland
10-13-2009, 05:14 AM
I started feeling positive abotu some of the changes that were being made around training camp, and slowly shed the negative mentallity that I had from the early offseason. By the Oakland game, I was pretty positive on the direction the team was going, but felt our opposition had been pretty easy. By the third quarter of the Dallas game, I was a believer and thought this team could go places this year.

BroncoInSkinland
10-13-2009, 05:15 AM
http://pigjockey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/g829-310star-wars-trilogy-a-new-hope-posters.jpg

That's all I have to say.

Does that make Orton Luke? I think he fits better as Chewie with the neckbeard.

DrFate
10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Win this Monday - and we'll talk.

TheDave
10-13-2009, 07:47 AM
After the Dallas win... With games still against KC, Oak, Wash, and SD 8-8 or 9-7 became a distinct possibility.

IMO 9-7 wins this division.

spdirty
10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
The fist pump. Im stubborn.

Spider
10-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I never stopped ............ had no reason to stop believing .........

broncofan7
10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
NE--I didn't think Orton could succeed in a pass heavy offensive gameplan--and he shredded NE last week--we are well balanced--and if we can avoid the penalties and turnovers--we could very well have a 1st round bye ala 2005............I am thinking that we finish 12-4 now.........

broncofan7
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ic9qth.jpg

ha! Love it!

bronco militia
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I cheer and analyze, belief is silly

2KBack
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
While I've been positive about this team all off season, I try not to make predictions. I will say that a Victory on Monday would all but guarantee playoffs in my mind. New regime yes, but I've seen too many seasons derailed by sudden blowouts in recent years. A win on Monday in SD not only puts us at 6-0, but with Oak, Wash, 2 KC's on the schedule still the season starts to look a lot less brutal.

USAFBronco
10-13-2009, 08:18 AM
I never doubted, not because I thought we'd be this good but because I knew SD was going to be terrible. I'm still kicking myself for not betting them to win the division. They were 54-1 odds at one point....I hate my life

Pick Six
10-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I had hope that we would make the playoffs, but I wasn't sure. I believed in Josh McDaniels, but I didn't know magic could happen in the first year...

Broncomutt
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
clinch  /klɪntʃ/

–verb (used with object)
1. to settle (a matter) decisively: After they clinched the deal they went out to celebrate.

2. to secure (a nail, screw, etc.) in position by beating down the protruding point: He drove the nails through the board and clinched the points flat with a hammer.

3. to fasten (objects) together by nails, screws, etc., secured in this manner.

Shanny may be gone, but I'm afraid last years 3 game disgrace is still too fresh in my mind. Thank You God!! he is gone.

bpc
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm with Dr. Fate although I believe in analyzing.

A lot of things could happen with this schedule, an injury, whatever.

If we can manage to beat SD at their house, push our record to 6-0, and 2-0 in the division on the road, I think we have this division and the playoffs in the bag.

This week is HUGE. It will be like kicking the monkey off our back for the past three years.

Dendave
10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
When Shanahan got fired

bronclvr
10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I think we have a great Team, but I'm still on the Fence-I'll believe after the Colts-

2KBack
10-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I think we have a great Team, but I'm still on the Fence-I'll believe after the Colts-

there's going out on a limb. you'll believe this is a playoff team after week 14?

Ambiguous
10-13-2009, 09:15 AM
As much as I hate talking about this - it looks like it can be done.

If SD continues to play like they are (they always seem to turn it around, but we have nothing else to go on at this point) ten wins could win the division.

If things even out, there are still four games that we have absolutely no business losing - KC, KC, Oak, Was.

Mogulseeker
10-13-2009, 09:24 AM
I've pretty much been a believer since the McD era.

I hated that we fired Shanny, but I was excited when we picked McD. I thought of all the guys we were interviewing, he was the best choice, and I've stuck with him, even through the Cutler fiasco, which will be forgotten after this season.

I love to say I told you so.

Kaylore
10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Once we're in the playoffs I'll be a believer. I'm more thrilled than anyone that we're 5-0 but we have 11 more games to play and I want to see this team clinch a playoff berth before I anoint them.

ScottXray
10-13-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm with Dr. Fate although I believe in analyzing.

A lot of things could happen with this schedule, an injury, whatever.

If we can manage to beat SD at their house, push our record to 6-0, and 2-0 in the division on the road, I think we have this division and the playoffs in the bag.

This week is HUGE. It will be like kicking the monkey off our back for the past three years.

+1 ...A win this week and we are definitely in

Of course the wheels could come off with massive injuries, but Even one or two majors will not derail us if we go to 6-0.

Crashman44b
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I said 11-5 or 5-11 from the start. I really didnt see anything in between. Play a little over .500 ball from here on out gets us 11-5.

You guys read the Chargers board?? Its almost in meltdown mode. Some still think they can win the division, but most have given up hope. I still think they play us tough next week. Doesnt matter. Monday night football + Beer + chicken wings= Good time.

gunns
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I was excited for the changes coming and I never predict for this team but I thought it would be a gradual improvement and I would have been happy with that. Playoffs never entered my mind until the Dallas game. I don't like the fact I'm even entertaining the idea right now as I don't want to be disappointed like the last 10 years. Very wary. But I'm also enjoying it immensely. I haven't seen a defense on this team like this one since, well, the Orange Crush days. Whoohooo!

Crashman44b
10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I was excited for the changes coming and I never predict for this team but I thought it would be a gradual improvement and I would have been happy with that. Playoffs never entered my mind until the Dallas game. I don't like the fact I'm even entertaining the idea right now as I don't want to be disappointed like the last 10 years. Very wary. But I'm also enjoying it immensely. I haven't seen a defense on this team like this one since, well, the Orange Crush days. Whoohooo!

Best since 1991 in my memory. Wish I was involved with the Orange Crush but I wasnt a thought in my parents head either,lol. Do have a few DVD's. They were fun to watch.

bronclvr
10-13-2009, 10:20 AM
there's going out on a limb. you'll believe this is a playoff team after week 14?

prettty safe, huh? Really, I was fishing for a response-give me a few more weeks and I think a clearer picture will result-the Ravens, Steelers and Giants will tell the tale-

NFLBRONCO
10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm thrilled with the progress love the new regime from the start but, this team still has many issues that have not been exposed yet. We have yet to play a hot playing QB or offense they all are struggling. Welker and Moss were wide open and Brady missed them game would have been over. I'm not trying to dampen the excitement because I'm thrilled too but, I'm not getting carried away because we aren't there yet.

Rock Chalk
10-13-2009, 10:36 AM
The moment we fired Shanahan.

NFLBRONCO
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
We have not played a QB worth a damn so far. All of them are struggling this year keep that in mind.

Rock Chalk
10-13-2009, 10:52 AM
We have not played a QB worth a damn so far. All of them are struggling this year keep that in mind.

Right because Brady is leading the NFL in pass completions and Romo is one of teh top 5 passing QBs in the league this year and Palmer is certainly sucking wind over in Cincy.

MAYBE its the ****ing defense that is flustering and confusing the opposition, throwing off timing.

Or maybe, we are playing completely inept quarterbacks and we are just lucky.

Its funny how these QBs are playing pretty damn well against competition not named Denver (except Quinn and JaFatBoy that is, they are just pathetic).

NFLBRONCO
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Don't get me wrong Rock I'm very pleased with play of D. I'm not getting carried away on how good it is til we face SD Indy NYG Pitt type teams and see how close we are to being a great D.

Blart
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
You can't expect even the greatest defense to shut down the Mannings. If we beat those teams, we do it with a healthy dose of offense.

Broncos123
10-13-2009, 11:53 AM
I am getting tired of hearing from everyone, Wait until we play someone good like next week. That started two weeks ago, wait until we play Dallas, wait until we play New England, Guys this is a very good football team we are watching every week. Let's keep this our little secret! The national media can keep saying wait until next week or wait until they play so and so! We are good!!

Blart
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
I like how the Oakland game only convinced people that the Raiders are awful :D

Man-Goblin
10-13-2009, 12:13 PM
It was impossible to predict how this team would play once the season hit. That's why I had them in the 8-8 range before the season because I believed that would be a success considering all of the transition that occured in the offseason.

Now? I said all along that if they got to the Baltimore game at 4-2 it was time to raise the bar. Now, that they're guaranteed 5-1, it would be a huge disappointment if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

SportinOne
10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Guys, it doesn't matter WHO we beat from here on out, it's the number of wins we get. I'm convinced that we cannot, at this point, do any worse than 8-8. It's got to be automatic. We have 5 wins and 4 games against: Oakland, KC, KC, Washington. That, my friends, is 3 guaranteed wins.

That leaves 7 games with which to get 2 wins against real strong teams. San Diego IS NOT going to be 10-6.

How we do against the tough teams will tell us how we might do in the playoffs, but I think we have already made it.

gyldenlove
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Difficult to say, I believe that we would be 8-8 or 9-7 this year since we hired Mcdaniels so to some extend that leads to playoff speculation, but I am still not 100% sure we will make it.

So I will go with if we beat the chuggers since that will put us up by 4 games in the AFC West and no team has ever blown that ..... okay, we won't blow that kind of lead 2 years in a row.

Beantown Bronco
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM

In his defense, week 14 can certainly be "too early" to call it. Just look at last year.

Pontius Pirate
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
http://samueljscott.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/homer_simpson.jpg

Bronco LB52
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Forget talking about the playoffs in early October. This team still has a lot of work to do. The Broncos have only secured a 5-11 season.

Yes, the odds are in their favor and they are a legitimate contender, but there's no such thing as a gimme win in this league. My sights are on win #6 and that's the only thing that matters right now.