PDA

View Full Version : "Just keep passing the ball."

Taco John
10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
It probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I didn't know where else to put this.

I was dumbstruck yesterday when watching the game when in the third quarter, we moved away from Orton and the successful passing game to run the ball three times in a row to expire our downs.

I found myself on drives saying "just keep passing the ball." I was dumbfounded by this, because I can't even remember the last time I had this sentiment - even during the Elway days.

Now, I'm always for nice passes, but in clutch situations where we can't afford to make a mistake, I am one for grinding it out. I think the pass can be a liability as the game wears on because quarterbacks have a tendancy to force things when the going gets tough.

Not Orton.

Orton goes out - does nothing flashy - but just gets it done. Moves the ball. Makes *few* mistakes. Completes passes. I really like the guy. He reminds me of all the best things that people liked about pre-injury Griese, and No Mistake Jake. He's both efficient and gutsy. That's a good combination. That's how Mark Rypien won a Superbowl. That's how Rich Gannon lifted the Raiders out of the muck for a brief time. It's the foundation of Tom Brady's early career, that he's built a HOF house on.

Whether he's as much of an assett if he had more pressure on him - I guess we'll find out. But the guy can definitely run the offense. He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.

BlaK-Argentina
10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I agree 100%. I was saying this on the game thread. We were extremely efficient with the passing game and McD stuck with the run when it could have costed us.

I love that McD is establishing a running game in Denver but yesterday it seemed like a bad choice for some time there.

That said, we passed the ball what, 45 times?

Taco John
10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I remember before this game someone saying (exact quote) "Orton will not pass the ball 45 times."

BlaK-Argentina
10-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Too bad his INT streak ended like that. I was hoping for 0 INTs on the year. ;D

He makes some so-so throws but he's a lucky SOB too. This guy has "it" and I don't know what "it" is. But he's got it and he's gonna have a great season.

Finger Roll
10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
we have the pass blocking to pull it off. Without the glove Orton looked Montana like. 73% and hit the reciever in stride most of the time

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM

He makes some so-so throws but he's a lucky SOB too. This guy has "it" and I don't know what "it" is. But he's got it and he's gonna have a great season.

Its funny about the luck issue.

Its his trademark.

Dude has rabbits feet, horseshoes, four-leaf clovers and every other possibly kind of lucky charm known to man because luck follows his ass everywhere. In Chicago, even back at Purdue.

Maybe its not luck. Maybe its just that his teammates love the guy so much they'd run through walls to help him get his job done.

I mean, that first tipped ball that went straight up into the air and Brandon Marshall comes back hustling to knock it down, does he do that for Cutler? Is he even prepared enough for the situation to do that for Cutler? Or the Gaffney triple tip or Stokely's tip. Lucky as hell, but man something about our guys being there like Johnny-On-The-Spot to help Orton out of a bad toss. Not just here, everywhere.

Seriously, there is a reason luck follows this guy. I just cant put my finger on it. I dont think its something to rely on by any means but I also don't think that kind of luck comes and goes.

SureShot
10-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Its his trademark.

Dude has rabbits feet, horseshoes, four-leaf clovers and every other possibly kind of lucky charm known to man because luck follows his ass everywhere. In Chicago, even back at Purdue.

Maybe its not luck. Maybe its just that his teammates love the guy so much they'd run through walls to help him get his job done.

I mean, that first tipped ball that went straight up into the air and Brandon Marshall comes back hustling to knock it down, does he do that for Cutler? Is he even prepared enough for the situation to do that for Cutler? Or the Gaffney triple tip or Stokely's tip. Lucky as hell, but man something about our guys being there like Johnny-On-The-Spot to help Orton out of a bad toss. Not just here, everywhere.

Seriously, there is a reason luck follows this guy. I just cant put my finger on it. I dont think its something to rely on by any means but I also don't think that kind of luck comes and goes.

Luckiest QB I have ever seen.

When everyone was freaking out in the game thread I mentioned that that type of physical game favors the Broncos. This team at home is well served by wearing the opposition down running the ball considering the altitude. Matchup their strength with most other teams weakness...the want.

Mogulseeker
10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.

Rep

bronco militia
10-12-2009, 08:51 PM
running three straight times at vince wilfork was stupid.....

R8R H8R
10-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Its his trademark.

I'm in sales and there is a saying that I learned in my business from day one over 24 years ago:

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
running three straight times at vince wilfork was stupid.....

You're just never going to be happy are you?

baja
10-12-2009, 08:58 PM

Its his trademark.

Orton is called smart but I think a better description for him is wily & cool under pressure and that is a hell of a combination.

BTW Thanks for the Cold hard Facts web site.

GreatBronco16
10-12-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm not a hater, but even I thought it was stupid to keep running it at him. I figured McD was setting them up for the toss sweep or something else, but it never happend. Maybe just giving other teams something to be ready for Denver to run up the middle, then bam, toss right/left for the TD.

baja
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm in sales and there is a saying that I learned in my business from day one over 24 years ago:

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

There is another one in sales, 'I'd rather be lucky than good."

bronco militia
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM

no one is allowed to be as miserable as you

anyway, this season has been a blast. I like not knowing what is going to happen next.

baja
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm not a hater, but even I thought it was stupid to keep running it at him. I figured McD was setting them up for the toss sweep or something else, but it never happend. Maybe just giving other teams something to be ready for Denver to run up the middle, then bam, toss right/left for the TD.

He's gone for it on 4th and short a couple of times and come up short but I still like the call.

baja
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
no one is allowed to be as miserable as you

anyway, this season has been a blast. I like not knowing what is going to happen next.

Did you know what was going to happen under Shanahan?

bronco militia
10-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Did you know what was going to happen under Shanahan?

it seemed like it...this season has been like a breath of fresh air

baja
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
it seemed like it...this season has been like a breath of fresh air

It sure has - the Broncos are exciting and I feel we can play with any team in the league. i do think we will have a hard time with Manning and the Colts.

delany
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I mean, that first tipped ball that went straight up into the air and Brandon Marshall comes back hustling to knock it down, does he do that for Cutler? Is he even prepared enough for the situation to do that for Cutler?

So Orton gets credit for Marshall's hustle on this play? Hilarious. He wouldn't do it for Cutler? Hilarious.

Greybeard
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
It probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I didn't know where else to put this.

I was dumbstruck yesterday when watching the game when in the third quarter, we moved away from Orton and the successful passing game to run the ball three times in a row to expire our downs.

I found myself on drives saying "just keep passing the ball." I was dumbfounded by this, because I can't even remember the last time I had this sentiment - even during the Elway days.

Now, I'm always for nice passes, but in clutch situations where we can't afford to make a mistake, I am one for grinding it out. I think the pass can be a liability as the game wears on because quarterbacks have a tendancy to force things when the going gets tough.

Not Orton.

Orton goes out - does nothing flashy - but just gets it done. Moves the ball. Makes *few* mistakes. Completes passes. I really like the guy. He reminds me of all the best things that people liked about pre-injury Griese, and No Mistake Jake. He's both efficient and gutsy. That's a good combination. That's how Mark Rypien won a Superbowl. That's how Rich Gannon lifted the Raiders out of the muck for a brief time. It's the foundation of Tom Brady's early career, that he's built a HOF house on.

Whether he's as much of an assett if he had more pressure on him - I guess we'll find out. But the guy can definitely run the offense. He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.

A lot of people thought Orton was an asset last year, and he had a bunch of
matadores for an "offensive line." Yeah, he knows pressure . . .

Oh, and Manning doesn't have Cutler's arm, either . . .

Nonetheless, terrific post. Rep. :thumbsup:

-----

Taco John
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I think people show their biases when they start making statements like that. We've rarely had any trouble with hustle on offense - or coming up with lucky plays for that matter.

Popps
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I But the guy can definitely run the offense. He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.

There's a reason McDaniels targeted the guy. I personally didn't even know if he was brought in to be a starter when the trade went down, but when McD named him the starter in camp... I was a believer that he truly saw something in him.

As for the Cutler/Orton issue.. that's been well-covered. A "rocket arm" is about 1/3rd of the championship QB profile. In fact, it's not even a requirement.

Greybeard
10-12-2009, 09:27 PM
There's a reason McDaniels targeted the guy. I personally didn't even know if he was brought in to be a starter when the trade went down, but when McD named him the starter in camp... I was a believer that he truly saw something in him.

As for the Cutler/Orton issue.. that's been well-covered. A "rocket arm" is about 1/3rd of the championship QB profile. In fact, it's not even a requirement.

Y'think Joe Montana and Tom Brady might agree with you? ;)

-----

BigPlayShay
10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I absolutely love it that KO goes into the huddle needing to drive 98 yards to tie the game and cracks a joke. He is both loose and composed. His teammates loved him in CHI and it is pretty apparent they love him here.

For all the talk of Belichick looking for McD after the game, I disagree. They had agreed to avoid the media and meet up afterward. Part of me thinks Bill was looking for Orton.

lex
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Everyone close your eyes and try to imagine Orton winning a playoff game against someone like Payton Manning. Can you do it?

Greybeard
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Everyone close your eyes and try to imagine Orton winning a playoff game against someone like Payton Manning. Can you do it?

Yup.

-----

BroncoMan4ever
10-12-2009, 10:24 PM

i will gladly take a 7-1 ratio of TDs - INTs.

Popps
10-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Poor guy. All this Broncos winning after your off-season of hatred.

I know it's tough, buddy... but your Bears have a winning record! Keep your head up.

lex
10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Poor guy. All this Broncos winning after your off-season of hatred.

I know it's tough, buddy... but your Bears have a winning record! Keep your head up.

First of all, after your fraud was exposed, its amazing youre dumb enough to sniff around. And now your angry woman rant didnt really have traction.

Second of all, I wasnt dogging Orton. Im sure some can answer my question in the affirmative. There was no spin; I wasnt herding sheep.

So, get your weak **** out of here. And go back to making your shrewd predictions.

Taco John
10-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Not yet I can't. But at one point in time, I believed that Plummer could win a Superbowl.

Give me about 5 weeks.

ZONA
10-13-2009, 12:42 AM
but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.

That sounds cute and all but both of them combined would still not better then Manning. I have no love for the guy but he's EVERYTHING you want in a QB minus some fast legs.

1) Football IQ through the roof
2) Very strong arm
3) Great set up and passing mechanics
4) Excellent leader
5) Clutch Performer
6) On the field coach
7) Accuracy like a sniper rifle
8) Takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over
9) A winner
10) No off the field problems

and on and on and on

He's going to end up breaking most of the passing records before he's done.

cutthemdown
10-13-2009, 12:47 AM
I don't even count that interception.

Obviously they hoped those runs would work better.

I think Chargers dline will be easier to run against. I'm predicting maybe even so many carries in the gameplan that if Bucky not back you see your first Hillis being part of the game plan. Maybe 10 carries something like that.

The less Rivers has the ball the better chance we have winning. Chargers won't be running the ball. If we can get them off field and run the ball, we can dominate the time of possession.

dextermilo
10-13-2009, 02:12 AM
but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.

Actually I disagree. Cutler has some talent(!) but the only thing he does better than Manning is use his feet. And that is not a Cutler bash ...

Really digging Orton. It is amazing to watch 5 weeks of mostly mistake free football. Cheers to five exciting weeks of football and a team that just seems to be getting better and better.

Drek
10-13-2009, 04:10 AM

The bolded points where all things I'd referenced previously when discussing Orton. I agree completely. The history of game managing QBs morphing into clock grinding first down machines who just demoralize opposing defenses is longer than the cannon armed physically gifted QB who puts it together upstairs and becomes an elite QB.

Back before Tom Brady was TOM BRADY - Face of the NFL and record setting QB he was a game manager like Orton.

He won three titles then, and basically every year booted Payton's ass out of the playoffs.

Rich Gannon took the Raiders to the Super Bowl. The Raiders. Seriously.

Joe Montana had the physical talents of a game manager, the head of a franchise QB, and he's got so damn many rings he'd have a hard time lifting hand if he put them all on.

Brett Favre is probably the best example of raw physical talent at the QB position. He's only got one ring. Peyton Manning is the best all around QB playing today. He's only got one ring. But guys who just know how to make plays when the chips are down like Brady and Roethslithberger? Multiple rings.

So yeah, until Orton shows that he can't win in the playoffs I've got no reason to believe that he can't. He's obviously shown a killer instinct in the regular season.

Broncoman13
10-13-2009, 05:16 AM
I absolutely love it that KO goes into the huddle needing to drive 98 yards to tie the game and cracks a joke. He is both loose and composed. His teammates loved him in CHI and it is pretty apparent they love him here.

For all the talk of Belichick looking for McD after the game, I disagree. They had agreed to avoid the media and meet up afterward. Part of me thinks Bill was looking for Orton.

Did you see his face when Eddie let that ball go and they stopped it at the 2... he wasn't in a joking mood then and the face said, "Awe Shiat".

Broncoman13
10-13-2009, 05:22 AM
I'll say this much, I'm not completely sold on Orton just yet. I agree with TJ that at some point during the game Sunday I was like keep throwing the ball. He was hot and making all the throws. Great zip and very accurate. He took the game plan and ran it to perfection. Using Eddie Royal only helps. Honestly, the re-emergence of Brandon Marshall helps Orton and Royal as well as the run game more than anything.

From this point forward it will take very little for me to say, "Yeah, Orton is the QB for now AND the future." Take one more of McD's special game plans and run it to perfection and I'm with him all the way. I see things in terms of trends. One performance like Sunday's, while great, doesn't give me enough to say he is the QB of the future. And FWIW, I've been telling anyone that will listen that I think Orton will be a lot better once the glove comes off... looked pretty damn good to me.

barryr
10-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Most QB's playing well seem to get the breaks. Orton's NFL W-L record is something like 27-12.

gtown
10-13-2009, 07:24 AM
All iffy QBs have a certain amount of luck. I can't remember how many times I said Cutler was so lucky on a play last year when he would throw the ball into triple coverage and the CB would drop a surefire pick.

Drek
10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Most QB's playing well seem to get the breaks. Orton's NFL W-L record is something like 27-12.

Those breaks come when guys believe in the system and give full effort every play.

Every coaching staff preaches some sort of "never give up, always go all out" message, but however McDaniels is packaging it, he's got them believing. How we won against Cincy doesn't hurt though. These guys really don't quit.

Take Marshall's swat to break up a likely INT yesterday. If he's half a step slower on that, the half step a guy gives up when is effort wains after seeing the ball get tipped up in the air, he isn't there in time. Instead he gave everything he had from snap to whistle and literally out hustled the Pats defense for the ball.

Wasn't too long ago the notion of anyone out hustling the Pats' D was a ridiculous suggestion, even for one play. Our offense went out there and did it for four quarters.

Its a self fulfilling prophecy. As guys see big plays fall into their laps for not giving up they're that much more motivated to go full bore every single down.

Mr.Meanie
10-13-2009, 07:34 AM

Its his trademark.

Like they say...when you're consistantly lucky, it ain't luck.

DrFate
10-13-2009, 07:40 AM
There is another one in sales, 'I'd rather be lucky than good."

My preferred quote is 'you make your own luck'.

baja
10-13-2009, 08:08 AM
My preferred quote is 'you make your own luck'.

I agree but some people do seem to be lucky, I think it comes from believing good things are going to happen.

55CrushEm
10-13-2009, 08:17 AM
back before tom brady was tom brady - face of the nfl and record setting qb he was a game manager like orton.

He won three titles then, and basically every year booted payton's ass out of the playoffs.

Rich gannon took the raiders to the super bowl. The raiders. Seriously.

Joe montana had the physical talents of a game manager, the head of a franchise qb, and he's got so damn many rings he'd have a hard time lifting hand if he put them all on.

Brett favre is probably the best example of raw physical talent at the qb position. He's only got one ring. Peyton manning is the best all around qb playing today. He's only got one ring. But guys who just know how to make plays when the chips are down like brady and roethslithberger? Multiple rings.

So yeah, until orton shows that he can't win in the playoffs i've got no reason to believe that he can't. He's obviously shown a killer instinct in the regular season.

rep.

2KBack
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
The bolded points where all things I'd referenced previously when discussing Orton. I agree completely. The history of game managing QBs morphing into clock grinding first down machines who just demoralize opposing defenses is longer than the cannon armed physically gifted QB who puts it together upstairs and becomes an elite QB.

Back before Tom Brady was TOM BRADY - Face of the NFL and record setting QB he was a game manager like Orton.

He won three titles then, and basically every year booted Payton's ass out of the playoffs.

Joe Montana had the physical talents of a game manager, the head of a franchise QB, and he's got so damn many rings he'd have a hard time lifting hand if he put them all on.

Brett Favre is probably the best example of raw physical talent at the QB position. He's only got one ring. Peyton Manning is the best all around QB playing today. He's only got one ring. But guys who just know how to make plays when the chips are down like Brady and Roethslithberger? Multiple rings.

So yeah, until Orton shows that he can't win in the playoffs I've got no reason to believe that he can't. He's obviously shown a killer instinct in the regular season.

I've repeated this a lot. The Brady we know now is the development of the smart game manager of his first couple seasons. Of course Brady has gone off to have one hell of a rare career since then, but there is little reason to think that Orton couldn not replicate the kind of season Brady had in the early 2000's. At least when considering the physical talent level of the 2 players.

Rohirrim
10-13-2009, 09:37 AM

I dislike Payaton very much. However, I have yet to see a QB as on top of his game as Payaton is lately. His performance has been phenomenal. But football is a team sport. It's not Orton that Payaton will have to worry about on Dec. 13th. It's the Broncos' D. Could Orton keep up? Based on his performance Sunday, sure.

Greybeard
10-13-2009, 10:04 AM
That sounds cute and all but both of them combined would still not better then Manning. I have no love for the guy but he's EVERYTHING you want in a QB minus some fast legs.

1) Football IQ through the roof
2) Very strong arm
3) Great set up and passing mechanics
4) Excellent leader
5) Clutch Performer
6) On the field coach
7) Accuracy like a sniper rifle
8) Takes care of the ball and doesn't turn it over
9) A winner
10) No off the field problems

and on and on and on

He's going to end up breaking most of the passing records before he's done.

Are you talking about Manning or Orton?

Could fit either . . .

-----

errand
10-13-2009, 10:18 AM

Its his trademark.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity......

jutang
10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Last thing I want to see is the opposing team having one of those lucky breaks against the Broncos in January. Everything always seems to even out over the long haul.

lex
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Im not saying he cant. I think its really important to continue cultivating the running game however. NE really emphasizes stopping the run. There might be other teams in the playoffs who are better at stopping the pass than the run. There might also be teams that are better at stopping both. In either case, having balance will be that much more important. We really need to be proficient at both. This has been one of the things Ive found most pleasing. There definitely has seemed to be a diligent commitment to getting the running game going.