PDA

View Full Version : I thought this was a good article.

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Cutler fans wont like it but, its pretty interesting anyway.

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2708_A_team_in_need_of_a_statistical_stimulus_p lan.html

BMarsh615
10-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah that is a pretty good article... 6 months ago.:wave:

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah that is a pretty good article... 6 months ago.:wave:

How about this one.
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2892_All_hail_the_Horseshoe.html

Its from today smartass.

baja
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Man that's what I been saying since the trade nice to have some confirmation with statical backup.

edit;RE first article

BMarsh615
10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
How about this one.
http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2892_All_hail_the_Horseshoe.html

Its from today smartass.

Yep that was a good new article.:thumbsup:

baja
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
The horseshoe, I love it.

azbroncfan
10-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Don't worry JHNS will be here shortly to have some BS excuse for it.

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Don't worry JHNS will be here shortly to have some BS excuse for it.

Im not worried about that douche, I put him on ignore so dont quote him for future reference.

HAT
10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Loved the last section...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few words on “game managers” and "luck"
When discussing Orton, it pays to keep in mind that the phrase “game manager” is not an insult in the eyes of the Cold, Hard Football Facts. The term is used derisively elsewhere. But it should not be. In fact, “game manager” is the highest form of praise. Give us a game manager over a gunslinger every day of the week.

Put most simply, humble "game managers" cause victories while big-armed "gunslingers" cause heart attacks.

Bart Starr was a game manager. Joe Montana was a game manager. Tom Brady, Denver’s victim on Sunday, was a game manager and still is when he's at his best. All three are counted by any objective measure as three of the best and most successful QBs in the history off the game.

Now, we’re not saying Orton is as good as Starr, Montana and Brady. He’s not. But you know the tools on the inter-webs. You make one comparison of unlike objects, and people extrapolate out to make the statement something it wasn’t.

All we’re saying is this: Orton is a game manager and has been successful so far, as evidenced by his aforementioned 26-12 record as a starter, no matter what the stat sheet says.

As for his status as "the Horseshoe," it's simply a reference to the fact that good fortune has seemed to follow Orton whether at Chicago or now in Denver. The fortuitous bounce of the last-second Week 1 win over Cincinnati prompted one CHFF reader to call Orton “the luckiest player in football” and, as a result, we dubbed him the Horseshoe.

(Yes, we realize it will cause confusion when the Horseshoe heads to Indy to face the Horseshoes on Dec. 13 ... kind of like when the Saskatchewan Roughriders used to face the old Ottawa Rough Riders in the imagination-challenged CFL).

In any case, lucky quarterbacks don't win consistently in the NFL. They might win once. But not every week.

When the ball bounces your way time and again, however, as it has many times for Orton, there’s something more to it. The trend becomes a part of who you are.

And right now, Orton is not just lucky. He's playing extremely well as the legit leader of the most battle-tested 5-0 team in football.

gunns
10-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Cutler fans wont like it but, its pretty interesting anyway.

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2708_A_team_in_need_of_a_statistical_stimulus_p lan.html

I love the article!

But McDaniels apparently knew what the Cold, Hard Football Facts have long told you: yards, and passing yards in particular, have virtually no correlation to success in the NFL.

Let us say that again to be very clear: Yards, and passing yards in particular, have virtually no correlation to success in the NFL.

And few teams in history epitomized the vast emptiness of yards as an indicator of success better than the Broncos under Cutler.

So true. See Dan Marino. If Cutler was anywhere close to what people were saying about him, this team would have had a little more success last year. Less yards, but more points and that clearly wasn't happening. But I've always said we just needed a QB to maintain the game and a great defense. And that was my problem with Cutler, he didn't always maintain the game and then blamed his teammates.

McDaniels apparently saw the same problems we did, too. After all, he learned what 6.2 yards per play looked like when he guided the Patriots to a record 589 points in 2007. And he must have been shocked when he watched film of Cutler and the Denver offense and its version of 6.2 yards per play last season.

He apparently knew big changes were in order. Cutler took the bait, making it clear he was not happy in Denver.

If this is true and what really happened, my respect for McDaniels just entered the Elway realm.