PDA

View Full Version : Wildhorse?? Any thoughts?

sutoazul
10-12-2009, 07:49 PM
sorry if I'm starting a new thread on this, but did not see one.

Anyone got the stats on how this formation produced?? I think McDaniels caught Bellichick off guard with the wildcat option... I like the move (just for this game though, don't like to be a base formation for our offense).

Any thoughts??

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=8540

sutoazul
10-12-2009, 08:08 PM
not a valid link there Alec!!!

Broncos4tw
10-12-2009, 08:09 PM
I hope we don't run this regularly. And I hope this doesn't become the new "fad' in the NFL, either. Ugh.

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=8540

My bad.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=85409&highlight=Wild+Horses

spdirty
10-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I hope we don't run this regularly. And I hope this doesn't become the new "fad' in the NFL, either. Ugh.

We will run it till it doesnt work.

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Why the hell not?

In the Wild Horse formation, Denver succeeded every single time.

Orton was 7/7 passing and Moreno rushed for over 4 ypc when they ran out of it.

As for the fad aspect, get used to it. Its a version of the wild cat which has clearly picked up steam since Miami ran it last season.

RhymesayersDU
10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Needless to say, it's the best thing to happen to the NFL since the forward pass.

strafen
10-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Anyone got the stats on how this formation produced?? I think McDaniels caught Bellichick off guard with the wildcat option... I like the move (just for this game though, don't like to be a base formation for our offense).

Any thoughts??I'm not sure if we would be seeing any of the wild horse formation any time soon, but like you've said, this was thrown in the game plan against the Patriots to add a little wrinkle in the mix
Both offenses are too similar, you have to actually do something they haven't seen, and the wild horse formation was definitely something New England wasn't expecting at all.
Good job by McDaniels for keep finding ways to give our team an edge...

I think as long as this formation give us an edge against a tough competition it will always be there ready when needed...

SonOfLe-loLang
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Why not put it in there for a change of pace every now and again? Hating on it simply because its a fad is nonsensical.

No1BroncoFan
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Parachute pants were a fad, but they were very successful. Wish I had invested before they caught on.

If it's successful, ride it 'til they learn to stop it. Who gives a **** if it's a fad.

Ben

Popps
10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
This is one of the few things Taco has ever gotten right. He and I discussed a few years back how we thought the NFL would start finding a way to open up the offense to some of the running QBs without making them starters, and potentially seeing almost a pro version of the Option.

You're now seeing guys like White being drafted and Vick signed as situational QBs instead of starters, which makes a lot of sense.

Putting versatile guys like Ronnie Brown behind center is just smart offensive play-calling. The more you give a defense to think about, the tougher you make it on them. Certainly, you have to be able to line up and run for 3 yards when you need it... but a varied attack is a positive thing in this day and age.

I loved seeing us implement the Wild Horses this weekend. Hope it's here to stay.

Bronco Yoda
10-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I love it that we have this in our tool chest. You know we'll keep tweaking it. It also gives the next team a lot more to plan for. You just gotta know that the Chargers coaching staff is scrambling right about now trying to prepare for this new wrinkle.

Swedish Extrovert
10-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Can you snap the ball to a QB in motion?

I'd like to see that.

BroncoDoug
10-12-2009, 10:57 PM

I'd like to see that.

wow, that would be a trip!

Bronco Yoda
10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I guess if no one else is moving. That would be playing with fire & gasoline at the same time me thinks.

uplink
10-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I think McDaniels caught Bellichick off guard with the wildcat option.

I don't think so cause I thought one of the teams would go to it myself since it would be advantagous to go to a very new offensive look since each team is very familar with each others offense.

Plus I guess that this offense may give Belichick's defense extra trouble for some reason (I'm not smart enough to know why). Thats why the fins developed it and broke it out vs. the Pats and why Josh may have gone to it.
The Pats still seem to have trouble with it.

Swedish Extrovert
10-12-2009, 11:22 PM
It would be so confusing. Here you have a wildcat formation, everyone on defense is expecting run, then POW the QB has the ball, rolling out to the right, hitting the streaking receiver down the right sideline.

What about double passes? Like a direct snap to the RB, with a quick screen to the QB... can the QB then launch the thing across the field?

The possibilities of a wildcat formation are more endless than what any NFL or NCAA coach has tapped into. I'd like to see some crazy plays... Orton is NOT the guy you want running these plays though. You need a Michael Vick or even an, ahem, Jay Cutler to do so.

BMarsh615
10-12-2009, 11:38 PM
McDaniels is going to draft Tim Tebow in the first round next year, and the WildHorse will be our base offense.:wiggle:

cousinal11
10-13-2009, 05:43 AM

Any thoughts??

I don't see how you could argue against this. NE looked confused and had no answer until they burned a timeout. At that point, they seemed to make an adjustment as I don't think we ran it very often after that.

_Oro_
10-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Speaking of Tebow, I used to think he'd be worthless in the NFL as a QB but since offenses have figured out you don't have to have one starter at qb for the whole game and be effective he's going to go super high.

cmhargrove
10-13-2009, 07:38 AM

I'd like to see that.

What are you looking for, a Kyle Orton Sweep play?

TailgateNut
10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Why the hell not?

In the Wild Horse formation, Denver succeeded every single time.

Orton was 7/7 passing and Moreno rushed for over 4 ypc when they ran out of it.

As for the fad aspect, get used to it. Its a version of the wild cat which has clearly picked up steam since Miami ran it last season.

Miami did well last night using it. I'm glad they kicked the J E T S' a$$e$.

Keep those AFC w-l records balanced.

Inkana7
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM

22 Neckbeard Jet.

Broncos4tw
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, it worked the first two times... Pats adjusted.. it didn't yield squat after. So if we do keep it, then we need to mix it up a bit, because we were telegraphing our plays with that formation, after the first drive.

Crushaholic
10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
We don't want to wear it out every week. Install it when the gameplan dictates it for a particular week.

Old Dude
10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
I doubt that it will become a staple of the offense, but it's one more thing for opposing defensive coordinators to worry about. Before the season started McD stated that he wanted to keep opposing DCs guessing what they'd face next.

Vladimir
10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYTPZks1kR8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYTPZks1kR8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:thumbsup:

Swedish Extrovert
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Answer:

It would be so confusing. Here you have a wildcat formation, everyone on defense is expecting run, then POW the QB has the ball, rolling out to the right, hitting the streaking receiver down the right sideline.

What about double passes? Like a direct snap to the RB, with a quick screen to the QB... can the QB then launch the thing across the field?

The possibilities of a wildcat formation are more endless than what any NFL or NCAA coach has tapped into. I'd like to see some crazy plays... Orton is NOT the guy you want running these plays though. You need a Michael Vick or even an, ahem, Jay Cutler to do so.

Old Dude
10-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Interesting observations by Bruschi:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=4553189

Hold your "Wild Horses": Josh McDaniels' knowledge of the Patriots' defense was clearly the difference in this game. His plan to take away the aggressiveness of defenders by making them think and adjust to multiple offensive formations was brilliantly executed. The "Wild Horses" formation used by the Broncos put the Patriots' defense in the same audible they would call versus the Wildcat formation used by the Miami Dolphins. Whatever defense is called in the huddle is trumped by the audible that is called by the signal-callers of the defense once the Wild Horses formation is recognized. The problem with this adjustment occurred when Kyle Orton motioned back to the quarterback position from the receiver position and ran traditional plays. Once it recognizes that the offense is in a traditional set, the defense must go back to the original defense called. Recognizing and adjusting to those gadget offensive formations is one thing, but getting back to the original defense called is one of the most difficult checks a defensive signal-caller has to make. So difficult, in fact, that the Patriots burned three timeouts during the game to settle themselves down -- two in the first quarter and one in overtime. The result was that the Patriots played on their heels most of the game in vanilla zone coverages that the Broncos' offense had no problems recognizing and executing against.

WolfpackGuy
10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I liked it as a surprise tactic.
Anything to take defenses' minds off your bread and butter is a good thing.

lostknight
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
It would be more effective if Orton was actually a threat out at the wide receiver position.

Somewhere out there, Kordell Stewart is pissed off. This would have been perfect for him.

NYBroncoManiac
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Like Kordell could read the defense and make the audible decision?

cmhargrove
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM

I'm not going to poo-poo your "Dreamcat" offense, but seriously, you want to shotgun snap to a QB who is in motion? Buckets of fail.

If you wanted to make our version of the Wildcat more interesting (or dynamic) just throw in a little triple spin option. It at least has some potential.

I've had to coach against some triple spin teams before, and it's not very easy. Check it out:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1i5hilluXo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1i5hilluXo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Odysseus
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Fire Josh McDaniels?

http://www.firejoshmcdanielsnow.com/2009/10/what-is-denver-broncos-wild-horses.html

Odysseus
10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/271951-dissecting-the-wild-horses-success-of-the-denver-broncos

Wild Horses explained

---------------------
While Michael Vick claims to have created the wildcat, that’s not entirely true. The success of the wildcat can most successfully be traced to former Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator and current Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Dan Henning. In the third game of last season (2008), the Miami Dolphins faced the New England Patriots in a game, which, on paper, was a clear mismatch in favor of New England. The Dolphins lined up either Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams behind the center about six yards deep and gave them the option to run, handoff, or pass. This gave the Patriots headaches all game long and the Dolphins came out on top 38-13 in this lopsided upset affair.

This set off a league wide implementation of some wildcat into a large number of team playbooks. As of last weekend, 19 of the league's 32 teams had some form of the wildcat in-house, thereby validating its potency, even at the NFL level.

Rohirrim
10-14-2009, 02:40 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/columns/story?columnist=bruschi_tedy&id=4553189

Hold your "Wild Horses": Josh McDaniels' knowledge of the Patriots' defense was clearly the difference in this game. His plan to take away the aggressiveness of defenders by making them think and adjust to multiple offensive formations was brilliantly executed. The "Wild Horses" formation used by the Broncos put the Patriots' defense in the same audible they would call versus the Wildcat formation used by the Miami Dolphins. Whatever defense is called in the huddle is trumped by the audible that is called by the signal-callers of the defense once the Wild Horses formation is recognized. The problem with this adjustment occurred when Kyle Orton motioned back to the quarterback position from the receiver position and ran traditional plays. Once it recognizes that the offense is in a traditional set, the defense must go back to the original defense called. Recognizing and adjusting to those gadget offensive formations is one thing, but getting back to the original defense called is one of the most difficult checks a defensive signal-caller has to make. So difficult, in fact, that the Patriots burned three timeouts during the game to settle themselves down -- two in the first quarter and one in overtime. The result was that the Patriots played on their heels most of the game in vanilla zone coverages that the Broncos' offense had no problems recognizing and executing against.

Here's the funny part: Somebody else is going to try that now against the Pats and get killed. ;D

Doggcow
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I want the Wild Horses formation in my Madden Playbook damnit

Grover
10-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Wildhorse?

Delicious marinated with Worcestershire Sauce, oregano, and Amber Ale.

listopencil
10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
****ed over the Pats and the Chargers with it. It's a gadget though. I don't want to see it very often.

WABronco
10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, I was totally like OMG they used the wildcat but called it wildhorse, and like they motioned the quarterback out which worked into a passing formation giving him a perfect ratio of 100% passing. There's totally a sausage in my sphincter right now gaiz omgggg like totally I should go make a youtube video omg.

DenverBrit
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.ceresandbacchus.com/images/2008/20080101/wishbone.jpg

SJ Bronco
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM

There's a dude that's paying attention. I like this. Nice clean work by a talking head

DBroncos4life
10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
****ed over the Pats and the Chargers with it. It's a gadget though. I don't want to see it very often.

I don't get this. People need to stop calling it a gadget fad or a gimmick. Our version of the Wildcat doesn't even require Orton to leave the football field and mess with the flow of his game. If something is working then use it. I'm for anything that causes enough problems for the other teams D's that they have to start burning TO's or get gashed for big plays because they can't adjust to the formation. I've watched both Phins games on Monday night and I was very impressed with how well they ran the wildcat. It seems to me that they are working very hard to improve on what they already have there. More teams are following them as well. I would rather be with the times then behind.

SJ Bronco
10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not going to poo-poo your "Dreamcat" offense, but seriously, you want to shotgun snap to a QB who is in motion? Buckets of fail.

If you wanted to make our version of the Wildcat more interesting (or dynamic) just throw in a little triple spin option. It at least has some potential.

I've had to coach against some triple spin teams before, and it's not very easy. Check it out:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1i5hilluXo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1i5hilluXo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So have I. What we do is we go 4-3 and play it strait up like a triple option or veer offense. In other words. Tackle everyone and contain. I find these teams pass badly, but if they can throw, you need to involve your safeties in man. We had one team jump from a triple option, and into a double slot fly with the same personnel. Caused us massive fits defensively... Final score was 52-45...no defense required...Hilarious!