PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers now the starting OLB?

SoDak Bronco
10-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Re-watched the Broncos game, and noticed in the 2nd half Ayers never came out of the game. He was playing all three downs, he seems to be very stout at the point of attack, and gets a very good push on passing downs. He is also doing a nice job of dropping into zone coverage, and looks night and day more comfortable then he did in preseason. I don't think Mario was hurt, I think they thought Ayers gave them a better chance against both the run and the pass. He had one play where I watched he could have hustled more, it was on the Sammy Morris run late in the 4th Quarter where he broke Goodman’s tackle and went for 18 yards. Ayers was OLB on the opposite side and could have stopped it for a 8 yard gain or so, luckily JMFW stepped up and brought Morris down.

But overall I am very excited to see him making great strides, he looks to have "it" and playing this early and often at a tricky position.

What are your thoughts on him, I think he'll be the full blown starter before too long.

Tombstone RJ
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
#56 was playing late in the game so that tells you the coaching staff has confidence in him. Looks like he's working his way in the starting rotation which is an encouraging sign.

Harvitz81
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
OLB's in the 3-4 take time to adjust as rookies. Look at the steelers - both Timmons and Woodley were drafted in the top 2 rounds I believe and neither of them did much their rookie year. Now they are constant playmakers. Let's hope Robert makes that leap as well.

lostknight
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Robert Ayers has had the ability to be a big play maker from day 1 - and that's the stuff they don't teach. I am glad to see his potential start to emerge from the morass of a rookie season.

SoDak Bronco
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
For a guy that played with his hand in the ground throughout his college career, he is our most fluid OLB in space, dropping into coverage, and also being able to get a pass rush. His ceiling looks to be very high, and I'm glad we were able to snag both Knowshon and Ayers.

Paladin
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Frankly, I didn't see that. Is it the "setting the edge" stuff?

SoDak Bronco
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
No, he was in the whole 2nd half, basically doing pass rush, dropping into coverage, and setting the edge, shedding blockers and helping stop runs/screens.