PDA

View Full Version : My random thoughts on the day after

Que
10-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Figured it would be easier to just put them all here.

1. Orton without the glove - way more accurate.

2. Maybe I just listened to Simms too much yesterday but the Wild Horses formation is freaking incredible. QB goes in motion every play. If they can have a quick snap count once he decides to get under center... wow. Is there a rule around how long you have to be under center before the ball is snapped? Also, you could see a very effective no huddle drill coming out this where the QB goes in motion, stops under center and then the RB clears the backfield and lines up in the slot. Talk about hell on the D.

3. Love how Royal stepped up his game. Did he step up or did he get the coverage he was looking for.

4. Speaking of that, how about Orton spreading the ball around? Was great seeing him hitting his third reads.

5. BM is the man. Nuff said. Pay him.

6. Moreno looked good early but as the game wore on he looked either gimpy or tired. He did have a nice run in OT (I believe). But as this was his first game getting the vast majority of the snaps, he just seemed to run out of gas. Need to watch the game again I guess.

7. If I am a Pats fan, the thing I should be most worried about is the injury to Light. That was huge and completely changed their game.

8. Anyone see how Ayers played? I don't recall noticing him much either way (which could be good).

9. Playcalling, except for the almost religious aversion to calling the QB sneak on 3rd and inches, I was very impressed.

10. Moreno's hands - I guess he's a rook so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but the dude needs to work on holding on to the ball. I liked how he started running with both hands on the ball but I think has a few sessions of "gimme that" in store for him this week.

TheChamp24
10-12-2009, 11:17 AM
That "Wild Horses" formation could be killer in the future due to the reasons you just said.
The defense has to be prepared for 3 outcomes from that formation, Moreno taking a direct snap and running, Moreno taking a direct snap and throwing and Orton motioning under center for the snap, which could still be a pass or run.
The Pats had ZERO adjustments for it, I believe we were perfect passing from it and had decent yardage running it.

Rock Chalk
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
The Wild Horses formation also caused NE to burn all their timeouts in the first half. THey had the wrong personell on the field for it and it caused a great deal of confusion. This in and of itself can help a great deal in 2 minute drills if the opposing team has already wasted their timeouts making personnel adjustments.

Orton was perfect throwing from the WH formation and Moreno averaged over 4 ypc from it so it was effective enough I think.

DBroncos4life
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Is anyone concerned about WRs getting open against Goodman? Dallas missed back to back goal line plays were the WR beat him. Pats also missed a couple possible TDs when Goodman was on the coverage. He is a good corner don't get me wrong but you would think teams have back to back games to look at film of him getting beat even if the QBs missed the throws.

Paladin
10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Yep. The old Single Wing plays were quite fun in the older days, before the "Pro Set" came along. Does anyone else remember Dal Wards' teams in Boulder? Lots of great times.

But it is just another tactic for challenging the opposition Ds.......

c_lazy_r
10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Moreno looked much less aggressive after his fumble. He was focused holding onto the football versus just running. Hopefully he'll get over his apparent fumble-itis.

mhgaffney
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Moreno leads all rookies in rushing yards -- by a wide margin -- and should be a top candidate for rookie of the week.

Gimpy or not he gained 88 yards on the ground and another 39 in receiving. Not a bad day's work for a rook.

Que
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Moreno leads all rookies in rushing yards -- by a wide margin -- and should be a top candidate for rookie of the week.

Gimpy or not he gained 88 yards on the ground and another 39 in receiving. Not a bad day's work for a rook.

Oh ya, no doubt. Especially since this was his first game as the featured back. Anyone know if he sustained an injury? I saw him go off to the sideline in the third but was back in pretty quick.

WolfpackGuy
10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I think Moreno tweaked his knee when he got tackled awkwardly in the second half, but seemed to shake it off.

Inkana7
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Moreno had two great runs in OT plus that sweet screen on the 98 yard drive(my god, Casey has wheels!)

BroncoMan4ever
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
That "Wild Horses" formation could be killer in the future due to the reasons you just said.
The defense has to be prepared for 3 outcomes from that formation, Moreno taking a direct snap and running, Moreno taking a direct snap and throwing and Orton motioning under center for the snap, which could still be a pass or run.
The Pats had ZERO adjustments for it, I believe we were perfect passing from it and had decent yardage running it.

i'd like to see a pass from the receiver position with the wild horses alignment. i want to see Moreno throw Orton a screen and Orton go down field with the ball.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Is anyone concerned about WRs getting open against Goodman? Dallas missed back to back goal line plays were the WR beat him. Pats also missed a couple possible TDs when Goodman was on the coverage. He is a good corner don't get me wrong but you would think teams have back to back games to look at film of him getting beat even if the QBs missed the throws.

I wasn't impressed with his tackling yesterday

DBroncos4life
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I wasn't impressed with his tackling yesterday

I missed the first three quarters due to traveling but I listened to the game on the radio I got to watch the fourth and overtime. I did see him take that bad angle on that run play where we should have stopped them for no game. On that pass to Welker he got very lucky that Brady missed that both safety's rotated over in the cover two. This wasn't one of his better days.

bamanjam
10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Spread the ball is right. Scheffler, Gaffney, Royal, Marshal, and Moreno, all had significant catches. The only one that didn't get a catch was Stokley, but he was thrown at once that I can recall.

broncocalijohn
10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Spread the ball is right. Scheffler, Gaffney, Royal, Marshal, and Moreno, all had significant catches. The only one that didn't get a catch was Stokley, but he was thrown at once that I can recall.

Nice to see Sheffler and Royal getting into the game plans and providing some nice catches. I didnt see much of Hillis in there even as a FB (maybe a 3rd and inches) where Moreno actually follows him in the hole). Was he in the coaches doghouse? I though with Buck out, we would see more, not less, of Hillis.

The Joker
10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
i'd like to see a pass from the receiver position with the wild horses alignment. i want to see Moreno throw Orton a screen and Orton go down field with the ball.

You honestly don't see how much this play would suck?

WyoLaw
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
To top it off, the Avs just beat the Bruins 4-3. HA!! Boston hates Denver now.

broncocalijohn
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
To top it off, the Avs just beat the Bruins 4-3. HA!! Boston hates Denver now.

not to mention Anaheim. Angels sweep and Bruins lose to the Ducks last week during the baseball game. As a Broncos fan to boot, a great week to hammer on Boston.