PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half TOP?

lex
10-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Anyone know the time of possession for the second half?

Im asking because a lot of tone on E!SPN this morning has centered around Brady "not being right". Im curious to know this because when you keep an offense off the field this is the kind of thing that can happen to QBs--they lose sharpness. I know the TOP was 36 to 28 overall.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-12-2009, 07:27 AM
17:54 to 12:06.

WolfpackGuy
10-12-2009, 07:38 AM
17:54 to 12:06.

Damn, almost 6 more minutes.
And that's with the two extra sets of downs after running into the punter and being offsides on a punt.

SoDak Bronco
10-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Peyton Manning thinks TOP is overrated...and I think it is with most good QB's, Brady is obviously a little rusty still, he'll be fine.

TonyR
10-12-2009, 08:29 AM
...a lot of tone on E!SPN this morning has centered around Brady "not being right".

The only reason he "wasn't right" is because of the defensive adjustments we made at the half. Brady looked fine overall but did miss on a couple of throws.

TonyR
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Peyton Manning thinks TOP is overrated...

It certainly can be. For example, Tampa out-possessed Phila by almost 10 minutes yesterday but lost 33-14.

baja
10-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Peyton Manning thinks TOP is overrated...and I think it is with most good QB's, Brady is obviously a little rusty still, he'll be fine.

He's wrong.

I would like to see the TOP by half for the season also the 4th quarter. Anyone have a link to that stat.

BlaK-Argentina
10-12-2009, 09:32 AM
He's wrong.

I would like to see the TOP by half for the season also the 4th quarter. Anyone have a link to that stat.

He's not wrong, at least in his case. The guy rarely misses an opportunity to make a play. When he gets the ball, he does something with. You can give him the ball only 4 times in a game and he'll score at least 17 points more often than not.
I'm guessing that's why he said it.

It might no be true for any other team, but it is for the Colts.

Irish Stout
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
He's wrong.

baja I love you man, but saying Peyton is wrong about his thoughts on time of possession is saying that Picasso was wrong to move away from the blue period, or that Tiger Woods was wrong to re-tool his golf swing a few years ago. You might be right, but the rest of the world will listen and agree with what the masters have to say about their work, especially when their success speaks for itself.

I always kinda thought Elway had the same opinion of TOP - basically it is important, but not that important if you've got a lead or have the opportunity to put more points on the board.

skpac1001
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Its funny he should say that. He can win without TOP when he scores every possession, but the teams he does lose to usually win by ball control and TOP offense, and scoring on his tired defense at the end of the game.

Also TOP football is playoff football, which Manning has always struggled at when he is not playing us.

baja
10-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja
He's wrong.

He's not wrong, at least in his case. The guy rarely misses an opportunity to make a play. When he gets the ball, he does something with. You can give him the ball only 4 times in a game and he'll score at least 17 points more often than not.
I'm guessing that's why he said it.

It might no be true for any other team, but it is for the Colts.

baja I love you man, but saying Peyton is wrong about his thoughts on time of possession is saying that Picasso was wrong to move away from the blue period, or that Tiger Woods was wrong to re-tool his golf swing a few years ago. You might be right, but the rest of the world will listen and agree with what the masters have to say about their work, especially when their success speaks for itself.

I always kinda thought Elway had the same opinion of TOP - basically it is important, but not that important if you've got a lead or have the opportunity to put more points on the board.

LOL You guys are right of course, I thought about editing after i posted to say, " Except when Manning is the QB" but was too lazy to do it.

In general I do think TOP is an important stat. Keeping your D off the field is a huge plus IMO.

lex
10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow, this is absurd. It doesnt have to be an absolute for the time of possession effect to have merit. I dont really care about Peyton Manning. WTF. LOL. All that matters is whether this happens enough for there to be merit to TOP causing a QB to be sharp. Its not a contention that this is an absolute. Show where this point was being made? But it happens often enough to where you cant just simply say, "Brady's not right."

It could be TOP, it could be the defense,...a combination of both. WTF. LOL.