PDA

View Full Version : Chargers open as a 3 1/2 point favorites!

RunSilentRunDeep
10-12-2009, 06:03 AM
In today's USA TODAY. Keep giving the points and I'll keep taking them! When will they learn? The 3 1/2 suggests San Diego is a better team on a neutral field. Their O- and D-lines are a mess.

Hogan11
10-12-2009, 06:07 AM
The nation still doesn't believe......kinda understandable really because even though the team is 5-0, the Broncos still are not sexy in any way.

I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it...it's 2005 all over again.

RhymesayersDU
10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
You know, in this case, I'm going to say this is a "believe it when I see it" game.

The Broncos are legit, make no mistakes... But this is a rivalry game, the Chargers have generally owned us recently... I will be very interested to see how we react/play.

lex
10-12-2009, 06:19 AM
You know, in this case, I'm going to say this is a "believe it when I see it" game.

The Broncos are legit, make no mistakes... But this is a rivalry game, the Chargers have generally owned us recently... I will be very interested to see how we react/play.

Do the Chargers have a running game?

dbfan21
10-12-2009, 06:20 AM
I love it! Keep doubting this team and giving them more to feed off of. I hope we're underdogs for the rest of the season...as long as we win, I could give a poo what Vegas thinks!

Go Broncos!!

rbackfactory80
10-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Throwing that hook is begging gamblers to take the Chargers.

peacepipe
10-12-2009, 06:41 AM
The home team will almost always be the favorite starting out. From then on which team people are betting on will determine the spread.

BMarsh615
10-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beanerbronco
10-12-2009, 06:45 AM
"How you gonna be 5-0 and be underdogs? Go in there and TAKE IT!"

I love being underdogs!

bfoflcommish
10-12-2009, 07:00 AM
good

Sassy
10-12-2009, 07:01 AM
No respect ;d

spdirty
10-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Probably gave em 3 points for coming off the bye and 3 more points for a Monday Night home game.

ColoradoDarin
10-12-2009, 07:12 AM
You get 3 points for being at home. They're basically saying it's a "pick 'em" game. And usually division game are. SD has owned us the last few years (Ed Hochuli notwithstanding), while they don't quite look as good this year, they are coming off of a bye.

Punisher
10-12-2009, 07:16 AM
take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"how you gonna be 5-0 and be underdogs? Go in there and take it!"

i love being underdogs!

take it! Take it! Hooah

Rohirrim
10-12-2009, 07:18 AM
We don't stand a chance against the mighty Chargers. It should be fourteen points.

TheDave
10-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Run the ball right down their throat... The loss of their NT has completely transformed their defense.

Rohirrim
10-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Run the ball right down their throat... The loss of their NT has completely transformed their defense.

You've got to hand it to Josh, he kept going at Wilfork yesterday, even though we kept bouncing off him. Ha!

TheDave
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
You've got to hand it to Josh, he kept going at Wilfork yesterday, even though we kept bouncing off him. Ha!

That was strange. Then again, it worked. ;D

Peoples Champ
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
The nation still doesn't believe......kinda understandable really because even though the team is 5-0, the Broncos still are not sexy in any way.

I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it...it's 2005 all over again.

I would be very happy with an Identical 2005 season. That would mean we get to the AFC championship. Not bad for a team that was only supposed to have 2-3 wins going into the season by the experts.

bpc
10-12-2009, 07:44 AM
We need to set a physical precedent against the Chargers:

WE ARE NOT TAKING THIS **** ANY LONGER.

I hope we go into SD with a military attitude. Winning this game would shake the foundation of the AFC West and give us a strangle hold early on this division.

cmhargrove
10-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Hopefully, Elvis gets back on track in San Diego.

Turner will hurt us on some screens, but hopefully Phyllis will choke...

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-12-2009, 08:22 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 5-0 team is an underdog ... to a 2-2 team that almost LOST to the _akland roiders!!!Hilarious!

AWESOME x2!
I hear Vegas is only starting the roiders as 14pt underdogs vs the Eagles ... _akland can't even score 14pts ... FREE MONEY!LOL

UberBroncoMan
10-12-2009, 08:23 AM
San Diego only worries me in three respects.

Their long ball to their multitude of massive receivers.

Screen passes to Sproles.

Defense vs the short game (they are highly suspect vs the long ball as Pitt showed and we still have yet to show we can compete in that area).

TonyR
10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
San Diego only worries me in three respects...

What worries me is the letdown factor and the fact that SD is at home coming off a bye. Those are big advantages. It's up to the coaches and veteran players to make sure a potential letdown doesn't materialize, although the fact that this is a division opponent who crushed us in the final game of last season should certainly help!

Beantown Bronco
10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I swear that Vegas is going to have the Broncos as underdogs against their bye week.

BroncoInferno
10-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I think it makes sense. Our two road wins are over Cleveland and Oakland, so we have yet to prove we can beat a quality team on the road. Also, look a little closer at Orton's 26-12 record and you see that he is only 8-10 on the road. So, it's fair to question at this point how we will play a tough opponent on the road. Plus, San Diego is coming off a bye and will be desperate not to fall that far behind in the division. I think this team is more than up to the task, however.

TailgateNut
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
i swear that vegas is going to have the broncos as underdogs against their bye week.

lol

Garcia Bronco
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
3 points to the home team is a push

Mr. Elway
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I think it makes sense. Our two road wins are over Cleveland and Oakland, so we have yet to prove we can beat a quality team on the road.

I think you have confused the 2009 Chargers with someone else.

ScottXray
10-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I think it makes sense. Our two road wins are over Cleveland and Oakland, so we have yet to prove we can beat a quality team on the road. Also, look a little closer at Orton's 26-12 record and you see that he is only 8-10 on the road. So, it's fair to question at this point how we will play a tough opponent on the road. Plus, San Diego is coming off a bye and will be desperate not to fall that far behind in the division. I think this team is more than up to the task, however.

oh, of course we BEAT Cinn on the road the first week....Held them scoreless for 59:12.

My BAD....I forgot that that was complete LUCK that the Broncos beat Cinn who should be 5-0 (this years media darlings) even though we led for almost the entire game. They were however in front for 00:27 in that game , so we obviously shouldn't have won.

bronco610
10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Also you have to consider the noise factor of the rabid SD fans !!!
ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!

BroncoInferno
10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
oh, of course we BEAT Cinn on the road the first week....Held them scoreless for 59:12.

My BAD....I forgot that that was complete LUCK that the Broncos beat Cinn who should be 5-0 (this years media darlings) even though we led for almost the entire game. They were however in front for 00:27 in that game , so we obviously shouldn't have won.

You are right, I forgot the Cincy game was on the road. Still, Cincy was in the same boat at the time as us in that no one thought they would be any good either.

gyldenlove
10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
3 points to the home team is a push

Exactly, homefield is worth a FG.

Finger Roll
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM
in all fairness the Broncos have been pretty terrible against the Chargers the last 3 years.

Harvitz81
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I wonder what the gameplan will be this week. I love the fact that McD has brought a new gameplan for each game this season. I mean the Wild Horses look had the patriots completely confused and Orton I believe was perfect out of it.

I hope we take a page from the steelers and run Moreno and (hopefully he is back) Buckhalter down their throat. Without Williams, the chargers run D is absolutely pathetic. Whoever Cromartie is on, we need to take complete advantage of that. A couple of shots deep to Royal and Marshall in there as well.

But, in all honesty, if we run 40+ times in this game and our run defense holds like it has all year, then it will come down to Phyllis. Hopefully Doom schools McNeil and we force some turnovers.

Should be a tough game, but if we play to our strengths, which happen to be SDs weaknesses, then we should walk away with the W. The only wildcard is they are coming off a bye and basically have their backs to the wall in a must win game for them. SD historically has played well in these games.

Can't wait for Monday night!! Man, I am loving this team and the way they play.

HEAV
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vdctRjt5_uw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vdctRjt5_uw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2KBack
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
in all fairness the Broncos have been pretty terrible against the Chargers the last 3 years.

yeah, amazingly bad. I don't blame anyone outside of the organization for thinking SD will beat Denver. In the last 3 seasons Denver is 1-5 against SD while being outscored 113-237.

I do think that the current staff can turn that around, but the recent history is pretty bleak. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical about this particular match-up

cutthemdown
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I would be very happy with an Identical 2005 season. That would mean we get to the AFC championship. Not bad for a team that was only supposed to have 2-3 wins going into the season by the experts.

Trust me when I say if we reach that point you won't be happy with a loss.

Hell we are back, there is no reason to not be fully excited about a big run. No reason to be gun shy, we are loyal fans we deserve to be excited.

I for one am going to enjoy every week of the season and keep my expectations high. Screw playing it safe. Our players aren't, why should I?

Paladin
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM

QFT

:giggle:

BroncoMan4ever
10-12-2009, 12:58 PM
That was strange. Then again, it worked. ;D

Wilork was dying at the end of that game. it is hard lifting a 400 pound ass off the turf repeatedly.

OBF1
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Sounds about right to me. SD is at home and they have been laying the wood to us in the past.

bfoflcommish
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Also you have to consider the noise factor of the rabid SD fans !!!
ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!

hahahaha that is 10000 loud people!

JJJ
10-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Defense vs the short game (they are highly suspect vs the long ball as Pitt showed and we still have yet to show we can compete in that area).

Actually if Orton throws like he did yesterday he can pick them apart on the short outside stuff and you can always guarantee the tight end will be open against the Charger D so expect Sheffler to have a big night. I wish it was otherwise but it is the truth.

From what I have seen Orton is the worst kind of passer the Bolt defense can face. Accurate quick read passer who doesn't throw too much into coverage. You are right the Bolts are vunerable deep but there is no reason they should go over the top too much, probably won't be needed. The wild horse will give the Bolt D fits I think. We just aren't sophisticated enough on that side of the ball now to handle such wrinkles.

Both sides I think will move the ball effectively and get large amounts of yards. Not convinced it will be high scoring though. I think we will see a lot of field goals with each club having red zone issues. I think the Bolts solid special teams might make the difference.

Rohirrim
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Actually if Orton throws like he did yesterday he can pick them apart on the short outside stuff and you can always guarantee the tight end will be open against the Charger D so expect Sheffler to have a big night. I wish it was otherwise but it is the truth.

From what I have seen Orton is the worst kind of passer the Bolt defense can face. Accurate quick read passer who doesn't throw too much into coverage. You are right the Bolts are vunerable deep but there is no reason they should go over the top too much, probably won't be needed. The wild horse will give the Bolt D fits I think. We just aren't sophisticated enough on that side of the ball now to handle such wrinkles.

Both sides I think will move the ball effectively and get large amounts of yards. Not convinced it will be high scoring though. I think we will see a lot of field goals with each club having red zone issues. I think the Bolts solid special teams might make the difference.

I have a feeling the Broncos STs will be practicing extra hard this week (judging by the look on McD's face - anybody have a pic of that?). I doubt we see any more offsides on punts. ;D

The Joker
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Good point about Scheff, he had 4 TD's against San Diego last year I believe?

Rivers is the key to this game. I expect Denver will score somewhere between 20 and 24 points, moving the ball well enough for the most part but with San Diego's D playing with enough intensity off the bye to make some plays.

I also expect Denver to do well against the run on defense.

So that leaves Rivers needing to do more damage against us than either Romo or Brady were capable of, and without much ground game to lean on either. The guy is capable, but this isn't the same Denver D he's had his way with for a few years now. This one will get in his face, make him make quick decision, make him pull off some tough throws, and basically make him win the thing on his own.

And he's capable of it, the defense will have to come out ready for this one.

Luckily, Brian Dawkins plays for us this year.

My gut says we shade it, but this game could go either way.

400HZ
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I saw it at -4 this morning and was going to start a thread here about it when I got home from work.

Do I want to show unwavering loyalty to my team or do I want to make an easy $100? I haven't decided yet.

In all seriousness, I think the new Denver Broncos are so different that we can't draw on anything from the past. They are a solid all-around team, and based on what I've seen so far this year, solid all-around teams are going to win 9 games out of 10 against the Chargers. San Diego is absolutely wretched in every facet of the game with the exception of their passing game, and even that has to be schemed around an offensive line that can't do anything right. Put two guys on Vincent Jackson and put two guys on Gates. Three or four guys is enough to stop the run. Do this, hold the ball for 45 minutes, and win easily. I'll feel bad, but maybe I can buy something cool with my $100 and feel a little better.

JJJ
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I saw it at -4 this morning and was going to start a thread here about it when I got home from work.

Do I want to show unwavering loyalty to my team or do I want to make an easy $100? I haven't decided yet.

In all seriousness, I think the new Denver Broncos are so different that we can't draw on anything from the past. They are a solid all-around team, and based on what I've seen so far this year, solid all-around teams are going to win 9 games out of 10 against the Chargers. San Diego is absolutely wretched in every facet of the game with the exception of their passing game, and even that has to be schemed around an offensive line that can't do anything right. Put two guys on Vincent Jackson and put two guys on Gates. Three or four guys is enough to stop the run. Do this, hold the ball for 45 minutes, and win easily. I'll feel bad, but maybe I can buy something cool with my $100 and feel a little better.

Sad but all true.

That being said, until proven otherwise Rivers owns the Donkies and they have to prove they can beat him. And Sproles is always a wild card especially in high profile games like this one.

I think the Bolts have enough game to beat the Broncos but not enough to catch them.

Honestly I didn't expect the Broncos to hold tough against bigger more physical teams like they did. This bodes well for them avoiding any late season collapses.

dextermilo
10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Most important game of the season so far for both teams.

Chargers will show up ready to play. After three strait games vs tough run defenses they will come in off the bye determined to get the running game going. Will be a tough game if they get any sort of production from running the ball.

55CrushEm
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Sad but all true.

That being said, until proven otherwise Rivers owns the Donkies and they have to prove they can beat him. And Sproles is always a wild card especially in high profile games like this one.

I think the Bolts have enough game to beat the Broncos but not enough to catch them.

Honestly I didn't expect the Broncos to hold tough against bigger more physical teams like they did. This bodes well for them avoiding any late season collapses.

That has been a very pleasant surprise this year. 'Cause all I heard in the offseason was that we're still very undersized to be running a 3-4.

Statistically, the Dallas game impressed the hell out of me.....Dallas had the number one rushing offense in the league (190+ rushing per game)....and we held them to 70+ yards rushing, despite Dallas having the lead most the game, and therefore having no reason to abandon the run. There offensive line is massive, but we handled it amazingly well.

boltaneer
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Good point about Scheff, he had 4 TD's against San Diego last year I believe?

Rivers is the key to this game. I expect Denver will score somewhere between 20 and 24 points, moving the ball well enough for the most part but with San Diego's D playing with enough intensity off the bye to make some plays.

The key to this game is not Rivers IMO.

Both Romo (typical) and Brady (very unusual) left points on the field against Denver which Rivers has not historically done. Rivers will move the ball and will put up points. He's the one that has been completely dependable the entire season.

I've kind of given up on the defense. Too many injures and too much inexperience on the d-line to really make an impact in games this season IMO so my key to the game is the o-line and the running game, especially in the red zone. LT was running the ball well against Oakland until he rolled his ankle. He didn't get much of a chance to get going against Pittsburgh because they got a big lead so fast. The o-line needs to finally step up and create some holes for LT and Sproles and to keep Dumervil in check.

They need to start being able to run the ball to control the clock and keep their defense as fresh as possible. The quick strike scores are pretty and all but with the defense being unable to get off the field, it's just killing them especially late in games.

ton80
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
What worries me is the letdown factor and the fact that SD is at home coming off a bye. Those are big advantages. It's up to the coaches and veteran players to make sure a potential letdown doesn't materialize, although the fact that this is a division opponent who crushed us in the final game of last season should certainly help!

If Shanahan was still the coach, I would worry about the letdown factor.

No worries with McD though.

misturanderson
10-12-2009, 03:30 PM

I am extremely worried about the screen passes to Sproles. That is one play that the defense seems to fail miserably to stop a few times each game and Sproles is exactly the type of player that will take one of those to the house.

I really hope that they practice those hard this week, because if I were an opposing coach, that would be my main point of emphasis on offense.

JJJ
10-12-2009, 03:31 PM
That has been a very pleasant surprise this year. 'Cause all I heard in the offseason was that we're still very undersized to be running a 3-4.

Statistically, the Dallas game impressed the hell out of me.....Dallas had the number one rushing offense in the league (190+ rushing per game)....and we held them to 70+ yards rushing, despite Dallas having the lead most the game, and therefore having no reason to abandon the run. There offensive line is massive, but we handled it amazingly well.

Fully agree. That was kind of my oh **** realization moment after that game was over as a Bolt fan. These dudes just roughed up that beefy ass Oline of Dallas and those bruising running backs.

Mogulseeker
10-12-2009, 04:00 PM
This doesn't surprise me, as I don't think the the Pats will even make the playoffs this year.

Mogulseeker
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I am extremely worried about the screen passes to Sproles. That is one play that the defense seems to fail miserably to stop a few times each game and Sproles is exactly the type of player that will take one of those to the house.

I really hope that they practice those hard this week, because if I were an opposing coach, that would be my main point of emphasis on offense.

I don't understand why more teams don't run the sweep and the screen more often. They ALWAYS seem to get decent yards.

bronclvr
10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
What's different is the change in tone on the Charger's Boards-they were so, arrogant before, now they are very concerned they won't win-it's great!

baja
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
The key to this game is not Rivers IMO.

Both Romo (typical) and Brady (very unusual) left points on the field against Denver which Rivers has not historically done. Rivers will move the ball and will put up points. He's the one that has been completely dependable the entire season.

I've kind of given up on the defense. Too many injures and too much inexperience on the d-line to really make an impact in games this season IMO so my key to the game is the o-line and the running game, especially in the red zone. LT was running the ball well against Oakland until he rolled his ankle. He didn't get much of a chance to get going against Pittsburgh because they got a big lead so fast. The o-line needs to finally step up and create some holes for LT and Sproles and to keep Dumervil in check.

They need to start being able to run the ball to control the clock and keep their defense as fresh as possible. The quick strike scores are pretty and all but with the defense being unable to get off the field, it's just killing them especially late in games.

This is the strategy you use when you know you are the weaker team.

boltaneer
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
This is the strategy you use when you know you are the weaker team.

They can turn it into a track meet if they want. Those are more entertaining game for sure but I want to see them show that they can run a ball control offense as well as a quick strike one.

Eventually they're going to have to start running the ball (and stopping the run). If they do make the post season, they're not going to be able to survive against the elite teams just airing it out all day long.

RhymesayersDU
10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
They can turn it into a track meet if they want. Those are more entertaining game for sure but I want to see them show that they can run a ball control offense as well as a quick strike one.

Eventually they're going to have to start running the ball (and stopping the run). If they do make the post season, they're not going to be able to survive against the elite teams just airing it out all day long.

Shhh, don't tell them that. I have Rivers on my fantasy team and have enjoyed it greatly. Air it out, SD!

TonyR
10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
This doesn't surprise me, as I don't think the the Pats will even make the playoffs this year.

Really? I think they're a solid top 10 or better team.

boltaneer
10-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Unless Brady can return to his old form, I don't see them making the playoffs either. I don't know if it's a mental or physical thing with his injury recovery but he looks like an average QB out there. The division is the Jets to lose for now.

BroncoInSkinland
10-12-2009, 05:35 PM

They are a few Ref's calls and a fumbled kick return away from being 1-4, they may make the playoffs but I am not sure they belong there. Still a fairly solid team, but I don't think that Jets win was a fluke.

Circle Orange
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
The main thing to ask is, are the Chargers wearing the powder blue? They look better in it, but don't win as much with it on. I think that's a critical call on the game. Ha!

azbroncfan
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I swear that Vegas is going to have the Broncos as underdogs against their bye week.

Well that says that the nation doesn't believe in us. A lot of it is the past 8 games or so against the chargers where Denver hasn't even made it a game for most of those. I'll take the pts though especially with the hook.

azbroncfan
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM

I couldn't believe how big of a dickie do he had when I saw him for the coin toss. He is a big fat slob but pretty damn good at what he does.

baja
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm taken Denver and the points big time hell we are only giving up 8.6 points so even if we give up 17 we only need to score 2 TDs to win the bet @3.5

mhgaffney
10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
The coach is right. You gotta go right at 'em.

You wear then down in the first half -- then break through in the second...

We will bust the Chungle bunnies...

azbroncfan
10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Sad but all true.

The Chargers run game isn't as good as Dallas or NE's. It is about time that Denver shuts down Rivers or at least slow him down. The playaction passing isn't going to be there like it normally is. I expect another grinding close game that could go either way.

azbroncfan
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Denver is 5-0 ATS this year. They sucked ATS with Shanny coaching.

colonelbeef
10-12-2009, 06:57 PM
thank goodness.

fdf
10-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Of course not, the Broncos beat them.