PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think Ben Hamilton may be done?

HEAV
10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
After the 2009 season?

He always has had trouble with bigger DT/NT, but damn Wilfork was killing him today. It was sad seeing him get plowed back time after time. There where a few times he was pushed into Knowshon's way and changed the running lane.

AboveAverage
10-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Not to highjack, but does anyone else think Wilfork is pushing 400 pounds? Christ I never remembering him being this big.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Hamilton played much better second half. Wilfork got tired probably.

We could use a better, bigger, younger guard but he does a lot of things really well still. He's a good pass protector, and good at pulling.

But yes Wilfork steamed him over a few times. But Wilfork does that to a lot of players. Just be glad they traded Seymore.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Wilfork at least 380.

Rock Chalk
10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Dude, you cant expect the o-line to be perfect.

MOST of the day the ENTIRE O-line gave Orton ALL ****ING DAY to throw. They were excellent.

mrfabulous
10-11-2009, 09:23 PM
After the 2009 season?

He always has had trouble with bigger DT/NT, but damn Wilfork was killing him today. It was sad seeing him get plowed back time after time. There where a few times he was pushed into Knowshon's way and changed the running lane.
He is playing with a torn hamstring. Can't you at least wait until it heals up before you cut him?

bronco militia
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
I blame McDaniel's for continuing to run right at wilforks fat ass

HEAV
10-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm just wondering if next year McDaniels will look for bigger Guard on that side. Someone more power based blocking.

And yes Wilfork is closer to 400 pounds than the 325 he is listed as.

BroncoDoug
10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I think Olsen will take over for Hamilton next year..

UboBronco
10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Seemed to me that everytime we had pressure, or a holding call, it was either Hamilton or Wiegman... I think in the next 2 years, both will be replaced by draft choices that Josh makes... I really think they are both true professionals, which Josh likes, but just not the style of player he desires. We will have to wait and see on this of course.

GreatBronco16
10-11-2009, 09:41 PM

You know, I agree with that. Way too many times on 3rd and short and sometimes on 2nd and short, he was running the ball right up the middle. First couple of times, ok, but after you know that Wilfork is flat out shuting it down??? We gave up a couple good drives because of this.

Rock Chalk
10-11-2009, 09:42 PM

For once I agree with your negative ass.

It seemed kind of stupid to not have Moreno run on the edges a bit more.

ward63
10-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I like Hamilton, but I do think Seth takes over for him next year. Plus Casey may be gone and Ben may slide over into the center role

rovolution
10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Hamilton's contract is done after this season anyways, and with Kuper, Marshall, and Dumervil all needed extensions Ben probably wont be back. I think he will be on whatever team Shanny becomes HC for.

and throw Kyle Orton into the contract extension mix as well if he continues to play at a high level

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Dude, you cant expect the o-line to be perfect.

MOST of the day the ENTIRE O-line gave Orton ALL ****ING DAY to throw. They were excellent.

exactly. and this isn't some weekly occurence with Hamilton. Wilfork does that to OL weekly. it isn't like Hamilton has been sucking and today was the worst of it. he had his hands full with one of the very best DTs in the game, and even in a rough time the line looked pretty damn good.

ZONA
10-12-2009, 12:52 AM
I wonder what Wilfork will look like when he doesn't have to get into football shape (when he retires). He could be walking the streets at a cool 500 pounds.

lol

Vegas_Bronco
10-12-2009, 12:53 AM

This!

BroncoMan4ever
10-12-2009, 01:07 AM

i love Hamilton, but i really want more size at his position. with Clady, if we can get a good, young, big guard to take over for Hamilton we could have the toughest left side in the league. right now just with Cladys ability and Hamilton's leadership and veteran knowledge we are good there, but if we got bigger, that could be the baddest left side in the league for years to come.

OBF1
10-12-2009, 01:41 AM
We need to draft James Wilson Jr, OG from Florida. He is only a sophmore and will not be coming out, but he was the top rated HS guard in the country 2 years ago out of high school. He is listed at 6'5" 329 and growing. I also know he is a Bronco fan :)

Drek
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM

So we're supposed to let the Pats dictate to us how we can run the football?

Early on a few up the middle runs where broken for big gains by Moreno, and that played a huge role in getting Orton good protection. If we didn't continue to assert ourselves running between the tackles you'd see Wilfork just teeing off on the interior OL with blitzing LBs running right up his back.

Does it suck that Wilfork manhandled our interior OL, especially Hamilton? Sure does. Hamilton didn't even slow him down a lot of times. But it is what it is. We faced arguably the best NT in the league and still broke some big runs by exploiting his willingness to over pursue.

Maybe we think about rotating Hamilton out inside the 20's when we go power O, or maybe they just game plan a bit better to keep him from having to hold up a monster like Wilfork on his own again. I'm sure an adjustment of some kind will be made though, our coaching staff doesn't seem the type to rest on their laurels even after a win.

cutthemdown
10-12-2009, 04:26 AM
At some point in offseason there will time to talk about these things.

Right now though Broncos will go to war with Hamilton. He's the starter because he plays the best. These coaches know what to look for in practice. Hamilton probably just so good in pass protection, and pulling, and getting out in space, they gameplan around the fact he can't dominate big talented dlineman.

Wilfork makes a lot of guards the are 330 look the same way though.

Merlin
10-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Wilfork is a beast. The fact that Hamilton had trouble with him in the first half is not indicative of Hamilton being done. Further, as it has been noted, you are playing to WIlfork's strength and not the OL and Hamilton's when you run right up the middle. It was a dumb play call, especially considering how smart McD is. Just something else for him to figure out. Each game his offense improves as does the team. This team is going to show even more improvement over the season than others because of the many new players on D, and the players on O adapting to McD and McD adapting to his personnel.

The Joker
10-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Hamilton won't be resigned next offseason, but he'll be a more than capable LG for the rest of this year.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-12-2009, 06:17 AM
I agree, let Hamilton's hammy fully heal. Wilfork would have to crap 4 or 5 bowling balls to get down to 325.

dbfan21
10-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Hamilton played much better second half. Wilfork got tired probably.

We could use a better, bigger, younger guard but he does a lot of things really well still. He's a good pass protector, and good at pulling.

But yes Wilfork steamed him over a few times. But Wilfork does that to a lot of players. Just be glad they traded Seymore.

+1. Wilfork is one of the best NTs in the NFL. The fact Ben had a tough time with him does not surprise me. Let's see how the rest of the season grades out. Ben is getting long in the tooth, but he has some pretty good football still in him.

broncosteven
10-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm just wondering if next year McDaniels will look for bigger Guard on that side. Someone more power based blocking.

And yes Wilfork is closer to 400 pounds than the 325 he is listed as.

I agree that I think Hamilton is the weak link in the Oline. That and Weigman's Age but even at 38 he is still pass blocking well.

Hamilton has been getting owned all year, Hockstein is the 2nd worst and we need to get a young Center next year.

There was one drive in the 2nd half where Clady and Kuper set up the pocket and the spacing was textbook. NE didn't have a chance to get to Orton until they got coverage on the WR's near the end of regulation.

We have the best Pass blocking Oline in the league, I think they still need to find their Run Blocking ID but if we get a bigger LG and younger Center this line will rival the SB lines.

azbroncfan
10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Not to highjack, but does anyone else think Wilfork is pushing 400 pounds? Christ I never remembering him being this big.

He might be only a muffin shy of it. He looked like a big fat slob standing there with his dickie-doo waiting for the OT coin toss. You can call him whatever you want but late for dinner. I thoughtDenver maybe should look at him in FA next year but the way Fields is playing I am not so sure now.

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM

He was huge in Miami...and he looks 3 times as big now.

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2009, 08:28 PM
He was listed as 330 in college. He's 400 easy.

Mogulseeker
10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I was just thinking about this... Hamilton will go. He is too small to run McDs blocking scheme.