PDA

View Full Version : We need a better return man.

Kaylore
10-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Sorry, but it's true. First let me say I think Royal will really start coming on and as soon as we let him focus exclusively on playing receiver, the better. I think he misreads punts, he doesn't attack the field after a return and waves off when he shouldn't. Overall I think we can do better than him back there. It's not looking like he's getting any better and I personally believe there are probably players who will not play it so timidly.

Mind you, I don't hate Royal, I just think our return game is at the bottom of the league for a reason and I think it's the guy back there.

SureShot
10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Agreed. I just dont see any explosion out there. Its just fair catch and get in the huddle.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I just want a guy who consistently catches the ball and doesnt fumble. I dont need flash back there. If Chris Baker was guaranteed never to drop a punt, id gladly put him back there knowing he'd never gain a yard. This has been my opinion for as long as I've been a football fan.

jhat01
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
It's weird how some dudes don't bring their return game with them to the NFL. Must be a game speed thing.

Kaylore
10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I just want a guy who consistently catches the ball and doesnt fumble. I dont need flash back there. If Chris Baker was guaranteed never to drop a punt, id gladly put him back there knowing he'd never gain a yard. This has been my opinion for as long as I've been a football fan.

See I disagree. Royal dances around too much. He just needs to run and he'll go past a bunch of people by just attacking the return. We need someone who will not only not be afraid but welcome the opportunity.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I saw Kenny McKinley play college ball at the University of South Carolina. I would like to see him get some punt return chances. I think he would be very good at it.

broncobum6162
He didn't make good decisions today on returns. Faircatching the one inside the 10 with no defender around to down it closeby. And then later on letting it bounce w/ a defender right there to down it on the 2.

TonyR
Agree. Love Eddie but not as a returner. Clearly not his thing. Which is funny considering when we drafted him I figured returning kicks would be where he'd contribute most.

bombay
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I saw Kenny McKinley play college ball at the University of South Carolina. I would like to see him get some punt return chances. I think he would be very good at it.

Agree, and he's not one of the top receivers at this point. He's the obvious go-to guy in for punt and kick returns.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
See I disagree. Royal dances around too much. He just needs to run and he'll go past a bunch of people by just attacking the return. We need someone who will not only not be afraid but welcome the opportunity.

I wasnt commenting on that to protect royal as much as to say I value someone who won't turn it over rather than someone dynamic.

I am in agreement with you that he looks **** back there.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
As long as they catch the ball, and hold onto it, i am happy.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree though to be a good returner you just have to go full speed and hope the defender misses you, then you might break free and be able to make some moves.

Rod Smith, catch ball, go straight up the field be it for 1 yrd, or 10, or 15.

Man-Goblin
10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Royal was so damn good at it in college. But he seems to have regressed from his rookie season (in returns).

It was good to see him bust out today with 10 receptions. Hopefully, a sign of good things to come.

I wouldn't rule out a trade. With the cap being so relatively high, I suspect we'll see more activity before the deadline than we've ever seen. Maybe a mid round pick can get you a guy who is unhappy with his contract, like Joshua Cribbs from Cleveland.

That One Guy
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Heck, I'd trade Royal for Cribs or Hester personally. I think the game could be so much different with a scary returnman and Royal is anything but. We have receiver depth but the third phase needs just as much focus as O or D do. Get an exclusive returnman and let him perfect his craft.

And Royal would get something else as well but on the base, I'd consider it.

TheReverend
10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Ooooh I was gonna make a thread on this just forgot.

I think he frustrated over his involvement early and was displaying it on returns. He fair caught balls he could've taken 10 yards without contact.

Didn't pay attention to how he started handling them after he started getting involved in the game because excitement started taking over, but he had two fair catches early that were absolutely inexcusable.

That One Guy
10-11-2009, 08:40 PM
He made up for his fair catches by just not fielding them. Truly looks like he has no idea what he's doing out there.

Beantown Bronco
10-11-2009, 08:56 PM
You guys are forgetting the obvious problem. Last season's defense didn't force a single punt so all these guys are just out of practice. Give them a few more games and they'll get back in the groove! ;)

Man-Goblin
10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
You guys are forgetting the obvious problem. Last season's defense didn't force a single punt so all these guys are just out of practice. Give them a few more games and they'll get back in the groove! ;)

I know you're joking, but found myself nodding in agreement. Let's go with that.

DBroncos4life
10-11-2009, 09:00 PM
We should trade for Hixon.

gyldenlove
10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree, Royal doesn't seem cut out to be a returner in this league, he is an awesome WR, but not a great returner.

Royal is a bit too much finesse out there.

Carmelo15
10-11-2009, 09:11 PM
We should draft that cat from Florida A&M. Dude is a ridiculous returner

Kaylore
10-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Ha! That's probably something to do with it. McDaniels introduced our special teams to the punt return this year. Before this year our guys didn't think Denver was allowed to even do it.

Odysseus
10-11-2009, 09:34 PM

:wiggle:

ward63
10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Chad Jackson or Quincy Morgan....just saying

_Oro_
10-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I know this is off topic but Royal was on fire with his route running today. Amazing to watch that juke he put on Shields right at the line of scrimmage. He looked confident for the first time this season and I would say more confident than at any point last season. Funny the announcers were saying our offense needs a Welker type. I really think Eddie is going to be that guy. He's just learning the system right now but he's got the smarts, work-ethic, and ridiculous talent.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Heck, I'd trade Royal for Cribs or Hester personally. I think the game could be so much different with a scary returnman and Royal is anything but. We have receiver depth but the third phase needs just as much focus as O or D do. Get an exclusive returnman and let him perfect his craft.

And Royal would get something else as well but on the base, I'd consider it.

I'd love to get Cribbs, but not for Royal, he's a valuable Bronco. Give them a pick for him if the truly wanted to move him.

Hester, meh they wouldn't trade him IMO.

lex
10-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Should we draft CJ Spiller or Brandon James?

Bronco Boy
10-11-2009, 11:28 PM
I really think it's more an issue of coaching. Look at how Johnny Knox just steps right into Chicago's return game and dominates. The return man can do a lot, but he can't do everything.

lex
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I really think it's more an issue of coaching. Look at how Johnny Knox just steps right into Chicago's return game and dominates. The return man can do a lot, but he can't do everything.

True. Its not just that. It was also Manning replacing Hester suitably well.

Popps
10-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm a bit surprised at our lack of production in the return game. I really like McKinley and Royal, but for whatever reason, they just don't seem to have the space to run through. Not sure if it's them or the blocking. Keep in mind, we ARE still a fairly young team on special teams, and have a lot of new blood. I'd still suspect we'll see improvement as the season goes on.

McDaniels isn't one to let the little things slide.

cabronco
10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Royal lost his confidence in the return game, or just isnt comfortable with it in the NFL. I wouldnt trade him for a return man, he's much to valuable as a receiver. I noticed Mckinnley back on kick offs , he may see some time on PR ? The special teams all around need to get better imo, but are better than whats been fielded the last few years. McD was giving the s/t's coach a cold stare down at one point, which was after the azz chewing.

SoDak Bronco
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Love Eddie Royal, but I do agree. We need to address this in next years draft.

dextermilo
10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Our special teams need help overall. Not gonna pin it on Royal just yet. It he does return it 3 to 1 says there will be a hold or illegal block in the back...

~Crash~
10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I would like better blocking .

Gort
10-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Our special teams need help overall. Not gonna pin it on Royal just yet. It he does return it 3 to 1 says there will be a hold or illegal block in the back...

that.

good punt returns are not so much about the speed/skill of the returner. they are about what the other 10 guys do.

ZONA
10-12-2009, 02:26 AM
I think sharring the load would be the ideal thing to do. Depending on field position and the status of the game, I would use 2 guys back there.

Early in the game and expecting to receive a punt no further back then our own 30, I would try to find somebody who is a better returner then Royal. But when it's close to the goal or the game is in the 4th and it's close, I would use Royal just because he's got great hands and he makes the catches.

lazarus4444
10-12-2009, 02:29 AM
At this point i'm happy if they don't run into the punter or jump offsides with 4th and 5 yards or less. HANG ON TO THE BALL! It's not THAT hard, our special teams tried to give the game away today but luckily the D stepped up!

OBF1
10-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Been saying the same thing for the past couple weeks abot Eddie. Love him as a WR..... but he just does not do it on special teams. Put Eddie in full time with the "O" and find someone else to actully return the punts.

atomicbloke
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I am happy with Royal :)

*Famous*
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Nevermind

Boss Man
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
hahahahahaha

frerottenextelway
10-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Brutal bump. :)

Dutch
10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Twice

The Joker
10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Haha.

Take that Kaylore.

Or should I call you... FAILore?

:thumbsup:

tsiguy96
10-19-2009, 07:47 PM
hahaha. to be fair royal has done nothing good on returns this year, at all. until now !

anon
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Maybe we should start a "We need a better defense" thread for mojo.

Taco John
10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
We could also use some better socks. Let's make the socks the priority.

bronco militia
10-19-2009, 07:53 PM
nevermind

theAPAOps5
10-19-2009, 07:54 PM
No way I love the socks, buying some for work!

Kaylore you FAIL! :kiss:

alchemize
10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Sick.

Garcia Bronco
10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
I told Eddie what you said. He wasn't happy...:)

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah I was going to bump this thread. Add my name to the long list of people that has criticized this team only to look like an idiot when reality comes in.

Quoydogs
10-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry, but it's true. First let me say I think Royal will really start coming on and as soon as we let him focus exclusively on playing receiver, the better. I think he misreads punts, he doesn't attack the field after a return and waves off when he shouldn't. Overall I think we can do better than him back there. It's not looking like he's getting any better and I personally believe there are probably players who will not play it so timidly.

Mind you, I don't hate Royal, I just think our return game is at the bottom of the league for a reason and I think it's the guy back there.

LMAOROFL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Day late and a dollar short.

Royal with Cheese please

BMarsh615
10-19-2009, 08:16 PM
haha.

Take that kaylore.

Or should i call you... Failore?

:thumbsup:

lol

DHallblows
10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Your stoopid fer sayin wats tru!
Seriously, I still agree with the OP. I'll eat crow if Eddie returns any more this season. Don't think I'll have to...

BroncoInSkinland
10-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Never seen Kaylore be so wrong before, but I bet he likes the crow as much as I do. Go back for seconds Kaylore, and save room for 6-0 humble pie. I ate more than you did and don't mind a bit. ;D

That One Guy
10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Eddie did well tonight but if he keeps hesitating and fair catching everything on his punt returns, we'll all be saying it again in two weeks.

Irish Stout
10-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah I was going to bump this thread. Add my name to the long list of people that has criticized this team only to look like an idiot when reality comes in.

I really like you back on the boards Kaylore. I like you on the boards and Royal doing whatever he has to do.

Taco John
10-19-2009, 09:53 PM

It doesn't pay to doubt the Broncos in 2009.

Seamus
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Got to be the exceptional coaching

Doggcow
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
We still need a kick returner Kaylore?

Bronco X
10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
This type of thread must have some massive juju. You must start more threads like this Kaylore. My suggestion: "We need a better game plan for 3rd/4th and short situations."

briane
10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
before the royal one, when was the last kick return for a touchdown for the broncos??

Natedogg
10-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Kaylore Rocks. :haw!::haw!:

TheReverend
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I think the point still stands.

We needed a better return man.

Today we GOT a better return man.

That was NOT last weeks Eddie Royal returning kicks.

SureShot
10-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Get in line. It is very long you might want to bring a chair.

Bronx33
10-19-2009, 10:54 PM

I tend to agree i would like to see eddie fully focused on his job as a receiver 2 kick returns for TDs is a fluke and i don't see that happening very often and i would really hate to see eddie get hurt returning kicks.

ward63
10-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I tend to agree i would like to see eddie fully focused on his job as a receiver 2 kick returns for TDs is a fluke and i don't see that happening very often and i would really hate to see eddie get hurt returning kicks.

Kicks returned for TDs don't occur every week...

Bronx33
10-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Kicks returned for TDs don't occur every week...

thats why i stated this 2 kick returns for TDs is a fluke

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 11:52 PM

I think maybe they said something to him. No dancing. He just attacked the coverage; He made his read and ran with it. It's been missing all year. Getting both a punt and kickoff return in one game is so unreal.

McDaniels fixes everything. If it's a problem, it won't be in a few weeks because McDaniels will fix it. He's a freaking genius.

lazarus4444
10-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I can't remember the Broncos being this fun to watch, not even during the super bowl years. I've REALLY missed watching a well coached team with heart that plays physical, lovin it!

KevinJames
10-20-2009, 12:14 AM

royal holds the ACC records for return TDs in college I believe thats one of the main reasons we drafted him.

hes dangerous if he can get the blocking like he got today.

it just adds another dimension to our team.

OBF1
10-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Been saying the same thing for the past couple weeks abot Eddie. Love him as a WR..... but he just does not do it on special teams. Put Eddie in full time with the "O" and find someone else to actully return the punts.

I am currantly eating my plate of crow served cold.

I WAS WRONG and am happy to let everyone know so :thumbs:

watermock
10-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I think maybe they said something to him. No dancing. He just attacked the coverage; He made his read and ran with it. It's been missing all year. Getting both a punt and kickoff return in one game is so unreal.

McDaniels fixes everything. If it's a problem, it won't be in a few weeks because McDaniels will fix it. He's a freaking genius.

*Boosh!*

watermock
10-20-2009, 12:37 AM

It's no fluke...the blocks were there.

HEAV
10-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Haven't had a coach be this hands on since...

It's no longer "You better fix this or your fired". It's "Let's sit down study some film and find a way to fix it"

This is what this franchise needed. Not a guy talking about accountablity, but a guy taking every aspect of the game into accountability.

Hell I posted photos the other day of Coach playing defensive back during practice and face gaurding recievers. That's hands on coaching one on one.

People hate it when I say it, but Josh McDaniels is the best thing to happen to this franchise in 10 years!

Bronco Yoda
10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Way to go ER. He gave me Upchurch flashbacks tonight!

~Crash~
10-20-2009, 01:38 AM

3 tumbs up:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 01:41 AM
3 tumbs up:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Dare I say four TUMBS up?

~Crash~
10-20-2009, 01:45 AM
only if you are drinking rum

troya900
10-20-2009, 01:59 AM
I can't remember the Broncos being this fun to watch, not even during the super bowl years. I've REALLY missed watching a well coached team with heart that plays physical, lovin it!

No way, that 98 team was so fun to watch smoking everyone, especially watching the KC meltdown on Monday night. Although that 97 playoff run was so sweet with revenge on Jaguars, KC, and Pitt.

broncofan7
10-20-2009, 06:21 AM

:rofl: A man once wrote: 'Patience....is a virtue'.......:rofl:

Broncomutt
10-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Haven't had a coach be this hands on since...

It's no longer "You better fix this or your fired". It's "Let's sit down study some film and find a way to fix it"

This is what this franchise needed. Not a guy talking about accountablity, but a guy taking every aspect of the game into accountability.

Hell I posted photos the other day of Coach playing defensive back during practice and face gaurding recievers. That's hands on coaching one on one.

People hate it when I say it, but Josh McDaniels is the best thing to happen to this franchise in 10 years!

Amen to that. A-fricking-men.:thumbs::thumbs:

Broncoman13
10-20-2009, 07:02 AM

I'd like to thank you for posting this and giving Royal the inspiration (or motivation) to finally get it going. Good Job Khan!!!

Beantown Bronco
10-20-2009, 07:11 AM
I just love all the folks that feel the need to rub Kaylore's nose in it today when they were nowhere to be found when he originally started this thread. Did they disagree with him then and then come back looking for their props? Nope. They sat safely on the sidelines. Weak.

TonyR
10-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Agree. Love Eddie but not as a returner. Clearly not his thing. Which is funny considering when we drafted him I figured returning kicks would be where he'd contribute most.

LOL at my brilliance!

errand
10-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Life is a funny thing isn't it?

Reminds me of when the TV announcers will say "Joe Whothehell has never fumblesd inside the redzone..." and then the guy promptly lays it on the ground a few minutes later.

Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?

Broncoman13
10-20-2009, 07:23 AM
I just love all the folks that feel the need to rub Kaylore's nose in it today when they were nowhere to be found when he originally started this thread. Did they disagree with him then and then come back looking for their props? Nope. They sat safely on the sidelines. Weak.

I agree. What is even more funny is that people can't look at the situation and agree that McD saw the same things... and therefore placed enough emphasis on the return games and STs in general to make a difference... IMMEDIATELY.

Actually, it seems as though Josh McD had confidence in Eddie Royal all along but needed to "coach him up". Glad the kid stuck with him, I was getting frustrated with our return game as well.

Heck, I was getting frustrated with our defense last night in the first quarter. I have the patience of a 4 year old it seems. ;D I did have faith in our 2nd half adjustments though, clearly they are working each and every week.

TonyR
10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Heck, I was getting frustrated with our defense last night in the first quarter. I have the patience of a 4 year old it seems. ;D I did have faith in our 2nd half adjustments though, clearly they are working each and every week.

Our D has been this way in most games this year, particularly this game, Dallas, and NE. Looked beatable in the first half, not so beatable in the second half. It's almost like they flick a switch at half time. Unbelievable. Almost the opposite of what we're used to over the last ten years or so.

barryr
10-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Royal's 2 TD'S were mostly a result of taking the kick, picking a hole and just going forward and accelerating. He has spent many returns running sideways and trying to get to the sideline and that has rarely worked in getting anything substancial. Typically, the big returns happen, if they happen, but the returner just picking a hole and going and not running so much east-west. To get a big return running east-west requires perfect blocking and a mistake or two by the coverage unit.

Merlin
10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Our D has been this way in most games this year, particularly this game, Dallas, and NE. Looked beatable in the first half, not so beatable in the second half. It's almost like they flick a switch at half time. Unbelievable. Almost the opposite of what we're used to over the last ten years or so.
That is what I like best of McD's coaching. His team has outplayed every team in the second half by a substantial margin. Hated how our past teams adapted so poorly. To be honest, even our SB teams were not nearly as good at making changes in the second half. Those teams were so powerful in the first half the opponents just went through hell catching up. It is really nice to be able to look forward to every second half feeling sure the team will play even better.

DHallblows
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM

This needs repeating

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 04:35 PM

It's not very often you get to poke fun at a certified baddass.

Bronx33
10-20-2009, 04:37 PM
royal holds the ACC records for return TDs in college I believe thats one of the main reasons we drafted him.

hes dangerous if he can get the blocking like he got today.

it just adds another dimension to our team.

Ok now picture him injured on the sideline.

Taco John
10-20-2009, 04:41 PM

I don't think anyone is really rubbing Kaylore's nose in this. I think it's a case of people laughing with him, and not at him. Eddie Royal producing two touchdowns on special teams this week after last week's performance was pretty improbable.

TonyR
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't think anyone is really rubbing Kaylore's nose in this. I think it's a case of people laughing with him, and not at him. Eddie Royal producing two touchdowns on special teams this week after last week's performance was pretty improbable.

Agree. And what's also funny is that every other punt and kick return was just as ordinary as last week's.

TheReverend
10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Agree. And what's also funny is that every other punt and kick return was just as ordinary as last week's.

I dunno. I thought he had better decision making/decisiveness on the whole.

Could be just emotional memory though

BroncoInSkinland
10-20-2009, 08:03 PM

I certainly wasn't trying to rub his nose in it, I was definitely trying to laugh with him about a very improbable turn of events. If I thought I caused him any offense I would apologize immediately. Kaylore is one of my favorite posters on this site, I specifically come here to read his camp reports. I also think Kaylore is calm and rational enough to realize this, and that as a result no apology is necessary.

Kaylore
10-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Actually ~Crash~ and Broncoracist07 have neg repped me several times, but that's because they don't like me and are idiots. The rest of the comments have been pretty funny and support the irony.

broncofan7
10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Actually ~Crash~ and Broncoracist07 have neg repped me several times, but that's because they don't like me and are idiots. The rest of the comments have been pretty funny and support the irony.

I ned repped you once DRAMA QUEEN.

Agghhh--when you are wrong it's IRONY. :rofl:

Racist? Yeah--posting FBI crime statistics to counter balance Liberal talking point drivel is racist.....keep saying 'BAHHH' Sheep........

The only Irony present is a MORMON calling someone else a Racist--- :rofl:

"The matter of racism was instantly resolved when church received a new revelation from God on 1978-JUN-6,. ".....

http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_race3.htm

HEAV
10-21-2009, 07:52 AM
I ned repped you once DRAMA QUEEN.

Ned rep?

http://www.bui1.blogger.com.br/Ned%20Flanders-2.jpg

You're a Fck'n tool

broncofan7
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Ned rep?

http://www.bui1.blogger.com.br/Ned%20Flanders-2.jpg

You're a Fck'n tool

Aghhh--how sweet. Coming to the defense of your internet boyfriend.

Paladin
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Did anyone else notice that David Brouton (30) was running along with Royal on the Kick Return. The kid seems fast, and he looks big. SI demon?

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Bump.

I went back looking to see what my early opinions of Royal were. I came across this thread. I didn't like Royal as a returnman then and still think he's terrible. Today seemed wretched and he seemed to seek out the nearest warm body (this isn't a joke about getting cleaned out by Willis).

Royal's had a few return TDs and a couple good returns in there but I think it's time we officially close that chapter. When the opportunity presents itself, start working in a new direction. STs are doing great now but I hate Royal as a returnman.

Oh, and I bumped this thread because it had it all. People commenting that Royal sucked as a returnman, people agreeing, then people reactively deciding he was a good returnman after a single game (albeit a good one), mixed with a bit of McDaniels worship.

Agamemnon
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
LOL at anyone thinking Royal isn't a solid returner...

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM
LOL at anyone thinking Royal isn't a solid returner...

He's crap. At least he seems better nowadays about not fair catching every single football that comes his direction but he has no vision for returning. He has the speed to do something on occasion if the stars align but he never seems to make the right decisions - before or after he gets the ball in his hands.

Rohirrim
12-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Just looked to me like the Vikings did a very good job with their coverage.

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Just looked to me like the Vikings did a very good job with their coverage.

Cosby was gashing them good on KO returns. Their punt units were being insanely out kicked, it seemed, and he'd just find a grouping of purple jerseys and run to it. I didn't get the feeling that it was just a smothering coverage unit, at all.

KevinJames
12-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Royal is a good punt returner, and I think we should keep him long term as a WR and returner but if we don't resign him which I think would be really lame because his heart is in the Broncos and he said he wants to be back.

we could kill 2 birds w/ one stone CB and Return Man

Morris Claiborne

Agamemnon
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Cosby was gashing them good on KO returns. Their punt units were being insanely out kicked, it seemed, and he'd just find a grouping of purple jerseys and run to it. I didn't get the feeling that it was just a smothering coverage unit, at all.

Well then, you should be happy to know that there is almost zero chance Royal is a Bronco after this season, and you'll have a new punt returner to bash next year...

Agamemnon
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Royal is a good punt returner, but if we don't resign him which I think would be really lame because his heart is in the Broncos and he said he wants to be back.

we could kill 2 birds w/ one stone CB and Return Man

Morris Claiborne

Royal as a receiver is pretty much worthless at this point. If he was willing to sign a small contract as a return man, depth receiver (as in 4th or 5th guy) I'd be cool with it, but I just don't think that would float his boat. Personally, I really want a real slot receiver who has good hands and knows how to get open (basically the opposite of Royal).

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Well then, you should be happy to know that there is almost zero chance Royal is a Bronco after this season, and you'll have a new punt returner to bash next year...

And it does make me happy.

Half because I hate him as a returnman, half because he was once good and now sucks.

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I just looked it up and despite the Vikings being 6th worst in the league on coverage (allowing almost 13 yards per return), Royal was averaging 6. Those balls were getting down there early, too, except for the one he got hurt on.

Rohirrim
12-04-2011, 11:13 PM
I haven't given up on Eddie. He's gone through a lot of turmoil. Drafted by Shanahan, learns his system. Looks great. Shanahan gets fired. Josh comes in. New system. Cutler leaves. Orton comes in. **** hits the fan. McD gets fired. New coach. New system. Players strike. No camp. Five weeks into season Orton replaced. New system. New QB, etc etc.

I think if Eddie gets a little stability, he'll be the player he once was, again. JMHO.

Rohirrim
12-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I just looked it up and despite the Vikings being 6th worst in the league on coverage (allowing almost 13 yards per return), Royal was averaging 6. Those balls were getting down there early, too, except for the one he got hurt on.

Looked to me like they did a better job of it today. Maybe that rating is why. Maybe somebody put some heat under the ST coach's ass. I saw good coverage today. I pointed it out in the game thread a couple of times.

snowspot66
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Looked to me like they did a better job of it today. Maybe that rating is why. Maybe somebody put some heat under the ST coach's ass. I saw good coverage today. I pointed it out in the game thread a couple of times.

Regardless of the return man we had back there I didn't see much in the way of running room. Their coverage was pretty solid.

Agamemnon
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I haven't given up on Eddie. He's gone through a lot of turmoil. Drafted by Shanahan, learns his system. Looks great. Shanahan gets fired. Josh comes in. New system. Cutler leaves. Orton comes in. **** hits the fan. McD gets fired. New coach. New system. Players strike. No camp. Five weeks into season Orton replaced. New system. New QB, etc etc.

I think if Eddie gets a little stability, he'll be the player he once was, again. JMHO.

He's nearly played out his rookie contract and hasn't done anything since his rookie season. Maybe you are right, but I don't think he gets a chance to prove it as a Bronco.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Put Tebow back there. He'll run over those scrawny special teams turds and beast his way for six every time.

cutthemdown
12-04-2011, 11:19 PM
We have had great play from the returners this yr. It's just that with Decker being needed at number 1 WR, Royal banged up, Vaughn out etc we got thin. Obviously today Royal was playing hurt, props to him for gutting it out.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-04-2011, 11:20 PM

I havent necessarily given up on him either, but when he went down today, while I hoped he was ok, i certainly wasnt like "OH NO! WHAT WILL WE A'DO WITHOUT EDDIE!"

cutthemdown
12-04-2011, 11:20 PM
He's nearly played out his rookie contract and hasn't done anything since his rookie season. Maybe you are right, but I don't think he gets a chance to prove it as a Bronco.

Unless he comes super cheap I don't see Broncos making a huge push for him. But also we don't know the locker room. Eddie could be the coolest team guy and someone they see as positive in the locker room etc. Maybe he sticks around to compete for 3rd wr spot etc.

I just don't think he's a starting WR.

Rohirrim
12-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd like the Honey Badger, but we'd have to wait a couple of years for him.

Shotgun Willie
12-05-2011, 07:33 AM

He started sucking well before Shanny and Cutler left.

jutang
12-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Royal was more injured than sucking in his early years. Royal always has broken down at the end of every season and this season is no different. This year he has had a huge amount of drops which I dont recall him in the past dropping so many passes.

I doubt he will be back next season, but he is a player I think in the right system would flourish.

Kaylore
12-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I am very happy with Quan Cosby.

tsiguy96
12-05-2011, 08:15 AM
was quan the guy sitting in the draft room on draft day, and they brought in bill cosby for some stupid reason? then he wound up being an UDFA

broncogary
12-05-2011, 08:20 AM
was quan the guy sitting in the draft room on draft day, and they brought in bill cosby for some stupid reason? then he wound up being an UDFA

Yes.

maher_tyler
12-05-2011, 08:27 AM

From what i saw, on every punt, by the time the ball got there it seemed like there were purple jerseys every where. I don't blame that on Royal. Not only that, he hasn't consistantly returned the punts.

Edit: :giggle: just now see that this post is from 2009

That One Guy
12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
From what i saw, on every punt, by the time the ball got there it seemed like there were purple jerseys every where. I don't blame that on Royal. Not only that, he hasn't consistantly returned the punts.

I'll have to find some time after tomorrow to relook this. I swear there was time but everyone seems to say otherwise.

I won't say I could've been wrong but maybe parts of my TV were lagging and I need a different source.

broncogary
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM

I think the first time they punted to us Royal had plenty of room to the right and instead ran straight into the pile.

That One Guy
12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
I think the first time they punted to us Royal had plenty of room to the right and instead ran straight into the pile.

That's what I recall. Maybe the screen was deceiving but that's one I noticed in particular.

DHallblows
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Royal has been better this year. But it would have been hard to get any worse...