PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Rules Question of the Night

manchambo
10-11-2009, 08:18 PM
In the fourth quarter when the pats punted and pinned the broncos at the 2, the pats player recovering the punt was off balance and barely avoided going into the endzone. Royal was right next to him.

What happens if Royal pushes him into the endzone? Touchback, or is the move illegal in some way?

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 08:19 PM
if Royal had made a fair catch signal then he can not contact any defenders coming down the field.

I think.

Garcia Bronco
10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
if Royal had made a fair catch signal then he can not contact any defenders coming down the field.

I think.

This is correct.

manchambo
10-11-2009, 08:24 PM

I think.

That's right. But let's assume he didn't. I don't remember if he did or not, and I am curious whether it would work to push the guy into the endzone.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
That's right. But let's assume he didn't. I don't remember if he did or not, and I am curious whether it would work to push the guy into the endzone.

He did signal fair catch. If he hadn't, he could have blocked the Patriot into the end zone, but it is a seriously dangerous maneuver because if the ball touches him it's a live ball. That's just playing with fire.