PDA

View Full Version : Ben Hamilton

broncogary
10-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Is this guy the weak link, or what?

lex
10-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Ive been complaining about Ragdoll Hamilton for a while.

BroncoLifer
10-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, he is. I doubt he is still at LG for the Broncos in 2010.

broncogary
10-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Did he even move forward on that short yardage play where we got stuffed?

lazarus4444
10-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, his play is not up to par with the rest of the line.

Drek
10-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Been saying for a few years that how easily he gets driven back in man blocking (running or passing) is the biggest weak link on our OL.

lex
10-11-2009, 05:36 PM
People forget how strong Stink was. You really need a guy who is both strong enough and mobile enough. We found his skill set when it was rarely sought after. Just goes to show how great those teams were that we had both. Hamilton is no Stink.

meangene
10-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Time for Hochstein to take over at LG! Now!

TheChamp24
10-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I never, ever liked him. He has hardly any strength and going up against one of the best in Wilfork, 1 on 1, he got taken to the woodshed.

WABronco
10-11-2009, 06:27 PM
There aren't many guards that could take on Wilfork 1 on 1...

O-line continuity. Keep on truckin'.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok he was getting ragdolled by Wilfork first half.

But second half didn't you see how he started wearing Wilfork down a bit. Started to get him moving here and there.

Hes too small but he plays hard. I wouldn't call him the weak link, but he's not as good as Kuper.

cabronco
10-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I havent had much faith in Hamilton for awhile. He seems like a good guy and stuff, but I hope we find a bigger/better replacement for left guard.

TheReverend
10-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Nonsense.

snowspot66
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
We nee a replacement for him no matter what. He's no spring chicken.

gyldenlove
10-11-2009, 07:31 PM
If Ben Hamilton is your weak link you have a pretty good offensive line.

He didn't look good today getting no push on run plays, but he does give up 50 lbs at least to Wilfork who very consistently shifted away from Kuper and Wiegman.

Soul-Bronco
10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
yes! hamilton is not playing at a high level. Great coaching performance, but one thing that was boiling my blood was us running on 3rd and short directly into wilfork????? i mean wtf, screen, sweep, off tackle any thing but an HB up the gut on one of the best NT's in the game. everything else was butter

jebures
10-11-2009, 07:39 PM

I was saying this all throught the game on chat, he got beat atleast 4 times by wilfork for negative gains and had a holding penalty, but I was just being a negative nancy according to some.

BigPlayShay
11-01-2009, 01:42 PM
bump. Hamilton got worked today.

Jekyll15Hyde
11-01-2009, 01:46 PM
bump. Hamilton got worked today.

severely

bronco militia
11-01-2009, 01:48 PM
he's been a weak spot since 2004....

I don't think the OM archives go back that far...bummer

cutthemdown
11-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Yep he struggles against big strong defenders. He's probably gotta be replaced at some point.

Unfortunately you can't fix every weakness in one offseason. Hamilton still good enough against some players to help us get to playoffs this yr.

SoDak Bronco
11-01-2009, 01:50 PM
oline lost the battle upfront today........made some white guy look like reggie white

RunSilentRunDeep
11-01-2009, 02:01 PM
He won't be back in 2010 with all the young guys that need resigning.

GoHAM
11-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Yep, I wanted to start a thread asking when Olsen (or whoever) takes over for Hamilton. Dude got absolutely abused today. He has been a very competent guard for the Broncos for many years, but I think his run as a NFL starter is nearing the bitter end. He is just too small to be effective anymore with the loss of his athleticism.

HEAV
11-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Yes

He's been the weak link all year, last year ....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=85455

He can't handle big D-Tackles and power ends.

The Joker
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
He is just too small to be effective anymore with the loss of his athleticism.

Nail on the head.

He used to get by on having elite athleticism, injuries and age have taken that away from him and sadly he just can't play at the level he once could.

With Denver trying to move away from the ZBS to an extent, he's an absolute lock to not be resigned IMO.

Hopefully Olsen will be good enough to step in and prove an upgrade.

lex
11-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Nail on the head.

He used to get by on having elite athleticism, injuries and age have taken that away from him and sadly he just can't play at the level he once could.

With Denver trying to move away from the ZBS to an extent, he's an absolute lock to not be resigned IMO.

Hopefully Olsen will be good enough to step in and prove an upgrade.

Quite honestly, we should have been looking for a bigger guy even if Shanahan was here. The short yardage situations are simply too important. We should have been looking for a guy who was both nimble and stout enough for dual styles whether its Shanahan or McDaniels.

The Joker
11-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Quite honestly, we should have been looking for a bigger guy even if Shanahan was here. The short yardage situations are simply too important. We should have been looking for a guy who was both nimble and stout enough for dual styles whether its Shanahan or McDaniels.

I think we had so much to overturn in the offseason that leaving the O-Line untouched was probably a wise move.

New system, new QB, new blocking scheme.

Keeping the same 5 guys, who had a bit of chemistry, was probably not the worst move.

It is pretty clear now though that Hamilton isn't right for this scheme at all.

lex
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I think we had so much to overturn in the offseason that leaving the O-Line untouched was probably a wise move.

Keeping the same 5 guys, who had a bit of chemistry, was probably not the worst move.

I dont disagree and wasnt being critical of either the old regime or the new one aside from my own personal opinion that guards are undervalued. But I realize its generally not THE top priority.

bronco militia
11-01-2009, 04:23 PM

it has nothing to do with the scheme....today he was physically dominted in pass blocking

The Joker
11-01-2009, 04:26 PM
it has nothing to do with the scheme....today he was physically dominted in pass blocking

True.

Like I said I hope he's out of there soon, but I can see why replacing him in the offseason wasn't a huge priority.

You can't fix everything in one offseason, he'll be out of there as soon as Olsen is ready though.

lex
11-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Yeah, even in the old scheme, look at what you give up at the goal line and short yardage when you get ragdolled like he has the past few years. Its great that he's mobile but ultimately you also need to convert short yardage situations, regardless of the system. And when you get in scenarios there the #s along the LOS make the initial double teams hard, you need someone strong enough to provide an initial push in one on one blocking.

WoodMan
11-01-2009, 04:35 PM

I wasn't just him. There is plenty of blame to go around. I'd have to rewatch to grade the O line today, but clearly remember the first sack coming off of right tackle and the back passed up on the linebacker too. Orton got hammered and not just on that play, he was heavily pressured all day from everywhere it looked like to me.

Swedish Extrovert
11-01-2009, 04:50 PM

He was decent in the Zone blocking system. Now, not so much.

UboBronco
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
If they replace a punter for some minor situation things, Hamilton should be replaced now, and if he cannot be the center of the future, this will be his last season in denver

broncogary
11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
I wasn't just him. There is plenty of blame to go around. I'd have to rewatch to grade the O line today, but clearly remember the first sack coming off of right tackle and the back passed up on the linebacker too. Orton got hammered and not just on that play, he was heavily pressured all day from everywhere it looked like to me.

I think on that first play Moreno should have picked him up instead of going out for a pass.