PDA

View Full Version : WILD HORSES Formation Is The Best Thing To Happen To The NFL Since The Forward Pass

RhymesayersDU
10-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Truth.

Man-Goblin
10-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Will we ever see it again?

Kid A
10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lA0krVJeszE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lA0krVJeszE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RhymesayersDU
10-11-2009, 06:11 PM

I hope so. I also really liked showing the formation and then motioning into a regular formation.

rmsanger
10-11-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJIDr15duZk

BroncoInSkinland
10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
It was a one hit wonder...until the next time we need it. ;) No really I would be surprised to see it again, but there will be other aces up McDaniels sleeve.

toad
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
What is the Wild Horses formation...I was traveling today and missed "most" of the game.

RhymesayersDU
10-11-2009, 06:25 PM
What is the Wild Horses formation...I was traveling today and missed "most" of the game.

Direct snap to Moreno, Orton lined up as WR.

Sometimes Moreno would take it for the run, other times Orton would shift to behind center for a "normal" formation.

toad
10-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Direct snap to Moreno, Orton lined up as WR.

Sometimes Moreno would take it for the run, other times Orton would shift to behind center for a "normal" formation.

Gotcha - basically our flavor of the Wildcat?

KS Bronco
10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
been saying this since week one, we need to get royal and brandon back there as well as moreno!

OBF1
10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
The name is enough for me to love it. Pure genius by Coach McDaniels

mwill07
10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
so what exactly is the X's and O's benefit of Wild Horses? is it Moreno's call as to run vs pass? If he sees good stuff, he is free to run, but can option out? Is that what this is all about?

RhymesayersDU
10-11-2009, 06:35 PM
so what exactly is the X's and O's benefit of Wild Horses? is it Moreno's call as to run vs pass? If he sees good stuff, he is free to run, but can option out? Is that what this is all about?

Not sure if Moreno can pass. But I'm a mark for the Wildcat, and I love that we call it the Wild Horses.

ward63
Can Buckhalter throw? Jw...for when he gets back

SouthCarolinaBronco

Nice to see another South Carolinian on here!

I think the primary benefit to it, at least the way McDaniels has drawn it up, is the utter confusion it creates given the fact that 50% of the time Orton comes back under center to take the snap.

lazarus4444
10-11-2009, 06:38 PM
yeah orton motions to under center which screws up the defensive alignment...

Man-Goblin
10-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Willllllllllllllld horsessssssssss...couldn't drag me awayyyyyyyyyyyy.

Rock Chalk
10-11-2009, 06:41 PM

The Xs and Os aspect was pretty damn apparent IMO.

The Pats who were burned worst by the Wildcat last year sent subbed in their run stopping D to prevent it but when Orton shifted over to get under cernter they were screwed and the shift was entirely depenadant on what Orton decided to do.

ORTON really was teh genius behind it. Not one incompletion under center in the formation and Moreno had good YPC under the formation.

It was a GREAT twist to the gameplan and really threw thne Pats off IMO.

Man-Goblin
10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
The Xs and Os aspect was pretty damn apparent IMO.

The Pats who were burned worst by the Wildcat last year sent subbed in their run stopping D to prevent it but when Orton shifted over to get under cernter they were screwed and the shift was entirely depenadant on what Orton decided to do.

ORTON really was teh genius behind it. Not one incompletion under center in the formation and Moreno had good YPC under the formation.

It was a GREAT twist to the gameplan and really threw thne Pats off IMO.

It's not really the wildcat though, is it? People keep calling it that, but it was essentially a 12 formation with Orton split wide. No backs next to Moreno at all, that I can remember. Ronnie Brown killed them last year when he had one and two backs next to him.

All the Patriots did to counteract wild horses (after the time out in the first quarter) was walk the SS up into the box. Then when Orton would motion in he would walk back.

Pretty predictable stuff from the Hoodie 1.0.

Pony Boy
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Orton splits out the defense has to adjust to a direct snap run, if they don't adjust we run and if they do adjust Orton moves back under center. Catch them on their heels .......

mwill07
10-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Orton splits out the defense has to adjust to a direct snap run, if they don't adjust we run and if they do adjust Orton moves back under center. Catch them on their heels .......

but after Orton went back under center, they re-adjusted again. I reall don't understand what the big deal is.

Punisher
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
WILD HORSES formation came from the depths of McD Mind

SJ Bronco
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Truth.

Didn't it come before the forward pass?

Drek
10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
but after Orton went back under center, they re-adjusted again. I reall don't understand what the big deal is.

They can't risk changing personnel again because Orton could snap it mid change, so they've got to shift and live with the run stoppers trying to cover guys like Scheff and Graham.

Gort
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
in the preseason, the McD haters were complaining about the offense and Orton. in contrast, i've always suspected that every week, the team was putting in more of their offensive package, including wrinkles like this designed to confuse certain teams, and would be getting better at the basics. i can't wait to see what's new for next week. this is not the Shanny broncos anymore. bootleg right, bootleg left, screen right, screen left, and scripted plays just don't cut it in the NFL anymore. nice to see we have a guy who's on the cutting edge again for offensive innovation. by the end of the year, this Broncos offense might have a bag of tricks so deep that no team can really be fully prepared to stop everything we could throw at them.

mwill07
10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
They can't risk changing personnel again because Orton could snap it mid change, so they've got to shift and live with the run stoppers trying to cover guys like Scheff and Graham.

yeah, but they don't know that "Wild Horeses" will be run until Denver breaks the huddle...personnel have already been determined.

Here's how I see it: between plays, NE sees what substitutions Denver makes and adjusts accordingly - 3 WR's = nickel, 2 TE's = Run D, etc. Denver breaks the huddle and lines up in "Wild Horses", NE is forced to honor the run regardless of personnel - that is, the safeties creep into the box and the LB's read run first. If Moreno likes what he sees, he goes with it. If not, he options to Orton to come in and run a play.

I don't think this has anything to do with personnel.

Pony Boy
10-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Patriots, like to control the tempo at the start of the game, the "Wild Horses" definitely threw them for a loop, they couldn't fully adjust. Their coaching staff was in full panic mode tryin to figure out what Josh was up too.....

Drek
10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
yeah, but they don't know that "Wild Horeses" will be run until Denver breaks the huddle...personnel have already been determined.

Here's how I see it: between plays, NE sees what substitutions Denver makes and adjusts accordingly - 3 WR's = nickel, 2 TE's = Run D, etc. Denver breaks the huddle and lines up in "Wild Horses", NE is forced to honor the run regardless of personnel - that is, the safeties creep into the box and the LB's read run first. If Moreno likes what he sees, he goes with it. If not, he options to Orton to come in and run a play.

I don't think this has anything to do with personnel.

It does though, because it was often ran as a two TE set. They get the run D out there, see the wild horses formation, and so they stack the box. At that point Orton options over after getting a clean view of the D.

They've put the weaker pass pro D on the field and then taken it a step further by making the safeties cheat up. When Orton options over those safeties now need to make the correct reads on who they've got to pick up.

The big key to it I think is that McDaniels knew the Pats where playing a fairly young, inexperienced secondary and LB crew. So those shifts are forcing guys with only a season or less of starts under their belts to make heads up adjustments, when Orton already knows who was cheating to stop the run and he can watch how they shift alignment.

Its basically a perfect opportunity to get Scheffler and Graham in particular matched up on LBs or safeties who aren't 100% committed to them. Any mental mistake or even getting just a few steps out of alignment and Orton has a window to hit them in.

Lev Vyvanse
10-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Because the first two videos were full of fail.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XplOk3Do9Gg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XplOk3Do9Gg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Irish Stout
10-11-2009, 11:47 PM
This formation was amazing. What I wondered is if when Orton was out wide if he prefered what he saw for a run if they could then direct snap to Moreno or if it was predetermined that he would come back to center.

I expect we'll see other teams doing this soon as it will be the flavor du jour like the wild cat last year and partially this year. However, most teams have adjusted to stopping the wildcat. It will be really hard to adjust to this formation... eventually this could be tough on our D when another team tries the same thing with us... granted our D will have the benefit of having practiced against it.

Popps
10-11-2009, 11:52 PM

I think so, absolutely.

I about jumped out of my chair when I saw the formation. Friggin' great to see us giving opposing defenses even more to think about.

Tyrant
10-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Great formation...but I don't really like the name "Wild Horses". I'm thinking more along the line of....

http://www.dysphunktion.com/images/mini_wyld.jpg

KillerBronco#76
10-12-2009, 01:09 AM
In all honesty it should be called "Wildfire"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pc3OnSQc48s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pc3OnSQc48s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i don't care what anyone says this is deffinatley denvers theme song this year haha

Bronco Yoda
10-12-2009, 01:16 AM
San Diego has a whole new bag to worry about now. We've just added 2-3 more days of prep time for them. That alone is worth a lot.

ZONA
10-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Hopefully NFL Gameday or somebody else really breaks it down for us in the next few days and explains all the good things it is doing for us. The announcers thought it was mostly for showing the run and putting NE in a more "simple and basic" defensive package because they really don't know what to expect. It could be a run, it could be Orton coming back under center and a throw. So when you really don't have a clue on what the offense wants to do, you simplify your defense. They said every QB in the league would prefer to pass against that type of defense. It seemed to work well.

DivineBronco
10-12-2009, 01:43 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13541428

maher_tyler
10-12-2009, 01:45 AM
In all honesty it should be called "Wildfire"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pc3OnSQc48s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pc3OnSQc48s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i don't care what anyone says this is deffinatley denvers theme song this year haha

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

KevinJames
10-12-2009, 01:56 AM
I liked it but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see it again all season.

tho I would love to see Moreno and buck in the same backfield from that formation, or some reverses out of it.

maher_tyler
10-12-2009, 02:09 AM
I liked it but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see it again all season.

tho I would love to see Moreno and buck in the same backfield from that formation, or some reverses out of it.

I was thinking having Marshall and Orton line up on the left side...Orton takes the reverse from Moreno...then throwing down field to a wide open Marshall cutting across the field!! ^5

Hogan11
10-12-2009, 06:32 AM
I was thinking having Marshall and Orton line up on the left side...Orton takes the reverse from Moreno...then throwing down field to a wide open Marshall cutting across the field!! ^5

Something like this should've been attempted at least once to bring another dimention to it. As someone said earlier, they just crept up the SS to deal with it as it was.

dextermilo
10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Last year I basically thought the Wild Cat was an annoying gimmick and would die an early death.

Now, watching Miami beat the Jets(!) off the run I am loving it.

I really like our "Wild Horses" look because it opens up a lot of options for the offense and as Simms put it, "simplifies the defense". After all, they could still run the ball when Orton optioned back under center.

This could be a lot of fun to watch it evolve.

ScottXray
10-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Something like this should've been attempted at least once to bring another dimention to it. As someone said earlier, they just crept up the SS to deal with it as it was.

No need to use that aspect of it yesterday. It leaves it as a surprise variation for later games ,(like next week?).

It will not be a staple of our offense but it really presents a problem to a defense in personnel packages. Weaker Defenses will not be able to cope with it well.

R8R H8R
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Because the first two videos were full of fail.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XplOk3Do9Gg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XplOk3Do9Gg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thank you. As a huge Stones fan, there's nothing like the original.