PDA

View Full Version : Snyder Approached Shanahan Twice

Rohirrim
10-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I wonder which job Mike is holding out for?

This Sunday marks the first time that new Washington offensive consultant Sherm Lewis will be paid to use his "extra set of eyes" to watch the Redskins play.

According to FOX's John Czarnecki, though, Redskins owner Dan Snyder already had another hire in mind during the season.

Czarnecki writes that "word has it" Snyder approached Mike Shanahan in the offseason to be his head coach and has already made another attempt during the season.

He was reportedly rebuffed both times.

Wow.

Snyder and the Redskins will eventually deny the report, because they don't have any other choice. But the news will likely reach coach Jim Zorn's ears, just like the reports from the Washington Post that Zorn would have been fired last season if the Redskins had lost to the Eagles in Week Sixteen.

Zorn has to feel that he is coaching on borrowed time, and it's fair to wonder how that affects the team he's leading.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/11/report-snyder-has-already-approached-shanahan/

baja
10-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Wow such disrespect for Zorn he should demand to be traded...

bronco militia
10-11-2009, 08:58 AM
IMO shanny won't take the job unless snyder fires his right hand man GM Vinny Cerrato...

rbackfactory80
10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
San Diego makes sense, I am sure Shanahan would love to make McD his personal whipping boy.

Hercules Rockefeller
10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
He wants total control, even if he gets it in title, Snyder won't give it to him in reality. Until DS' ego can stand giving up some power, he'll never get a guy like Shanahan.

It's not about holding out for a better job, it's not wanting this one.

Jesterhole
10-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Shanahan will end up in Dallas, makes the most sense to me. No way Wade Phillips is going to last another season, and Jerry Jones is will to pay for the best...

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 09:29 AM
I had thought Shanahan would be likely to go to the Redskins, though this seems to make it less likely. The San Diego job would be nice because you get to live in San Diego and you have a team with some genuine talent. And who wouldn't rather live in San Diego than D.C.

Rohirrim
10-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm guessing San Diego would be the best fit too.

titan
10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
When Shanny gets tired of his home bowling alley he'll make a move. I think he's enjoying taking a year off.

atomicbloke
10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Any chance Shanny gets reunited with Jay at Chicago?

UberBroncoMan
10-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Shanahan will end up in Dallas, makes the most sense to me. No way Wade Phillips is going to last another season, and Jerry Jones is will to pay for the best...

Plus he'll be in driving distance to his pal Kubiac.

BlaK-Argentina
10-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Wherever he goes, and no matter how good McD has been... it will be a sad day for Broncos fans when we see Shanny roaming some other team's sidelines. :(

gunns
10-11-2009, 10:02 AM
San Diego makes sense, I am sure Shanahan would love to make McD his personal whipping boy.

How is that? Shanahan needs to first realize that the teams have a defense also. And will he take Slowik with him? Being a Bronco fan I would hope so.

BroncoBuff
10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Wow such disrespect for Zorn he should demand to be traded...

Very funny wise guy.

(Actually it was kinda funny ... ::))

BroncoBuff
10-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Any chance Shanny gets reunited with Jay at Chicago?

That's what I wanna see ... the high drama outcome.

Then maybe 2016 ... a Reeves-Shanny like SB 33 drama ... 8')

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 10:10 AM
How is that? Shanahan needs to first realize that the teams have a defense also. And will he take Slowik with him? Being a Bronco fan I would hope so.

I respectfully disagree. I think Shanahan's failures towards the end of his time here were due to complacency. It's not too hard to imagine that winning consecutive Super Bowls will deprive you of a little bit of drive.

I would not be thrilled to see Shanahan in the AFC West. I don't believe he would ever view us the way he does the Raiders, i.e. with a grudge a mile wide. But I think he would be a good coach when he comes back because he again has something to prove, and he'll have the talent in San Diego to prove it with. I hope Norv stays in San Diego for a very, very long time.

rovolution
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I had thought Shanahan would be likely to go to the Redskins, though this seems to make it less likely. The San Diego job would be nice because you get to live in San Diego and you have a team with some genuine talent. And who wouldn't rather live in San Diego than D.C.

the san diego fanbase is one of the most bandwagon in the league. they are a team that routinely has blackouts.

Shanahan wants a team with a loyal fanbase ala Denver. A team with a spotlight on it.

Orange_Beard
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Unless the chuggers move to LA, they will not have the money to pay Shanny what he is going to demand.

Rohirrim
10-11-2009, 10:31 AM
In my perfect world, Shanahan would take over the CU Buffs. ;D

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 10:41 AM

I agree. it also is a situation similar to Denver where the only person he will answer to is the Owner.

plus the QB situation is better there, with Dallas having the QB he wanted a few years ago.

baja
10-11-2009, 10:42 AM
In my perfect world, Shanahan would take over the CU Buffs. ;D

Than he could live in his mansion. Plus it would be easy to pick up his game checks from Bowlen, Dove valley is on the way to Boulder.

gunns
10-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I respectfully disagree. I think Shanahan's failures towards the end of his time here were due to complacency. It's not too hard to imagine that winning consecutive Super Bowls will deprive you of a little bit of drive.

I would not be thrilled to see Shanahan in the AFC West. I don't believe he would ever view us the way he does the Raiders, i.e. with a grudge a mile wide. But I think he would be a good coach when he comes back because he again has something to prove, and he'll have the talent in San Diego to prove it with. I hope Norv stays in San Diego for a very, very long time.

I think his biggest area of complacency was the defense. He won those SB's as an era of offensive domination was coming to an end. The league became defensive domination and Shanahan's main focus remained on the offense (see Ashley Lelie). The defense was an after thought to Shanahan. Then when he did put some focus on it it was pathetic, Gardner, Middlebrooks, etc....the Browns DL??? The coaches he hired were average at best, but many became Shanahan's scapegoat. No, I don't think he will view as he does Oakland, but I think that competitive edge will be stronger against Denver.

DenverBrit
10-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Than he could live in his mansion. Plus it would be easy to pick up his game checks from Bowlen, Dove valley is on the way to Boulder.

Not a big market for 35,000 sq foot homes in Denver....or anywhere else.

Even when the market recovers, a house that size in Denver will still be an albatross!

That's a lot of debt service to carry.

baja
10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Not a big market for 35,000 sq foot homes in Denver....or anywhere else.

Even when the market recovers, a house that size in Denver will still be an albatross!

That's a lot of debt service to carry.

Maybe Marshall will buy it with his signing bonus he will earn.

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM

never happen. Mike could not coexist with AJ Smith. he wants full power and the only place willing to give him a scenario like that is Dallas.

lazarus4444
10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Shanny going to college would be pretty sweet if you ask me....I'd actually root for him there but not in the NFL.

DenverBrit
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Maybe Marshall will buy it with his signing bonus he will earn.

Now there's a thought! ;D

Sir_Robin
10-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I wonder if Al Davis taught him the importance of getting his money before moving on?

NFLBRONCO
10-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Why would Shanny take a job now when he knows he'll be #1 on every teams list in offseason???????????????????????

Circle Orange
10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Shanahan's no fool. He's not going to DC to be a puppet and put up with Snyder's endless interference.

In fact NO established coach with a lick of sense will deal with Synder. Based on his track record, how could anyone trust the situation? Synder would probably pick the staff ahead of time, just like he did with Zorn.

NFLBRONCO
10-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Which team do you think would be Shanny's BEST FIT?

DBroncos4life
10-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Which team do you think would be Shanny's BEST FIT?

I think it has to be a team with a strong QB. I almost think if the Texans don't get it done and Kubes gets fired he might look at that opening. Its almost his system and there is lots of talent there.

rastaman
10-11-2009, 09:00 PM
never happen. Mike could not coexist with AJ Smith. he wants full power and the only place willing to give him a scenario like that is Dallas.

Jerry Jones would never give Shanny full power. Infact Jones acts like he's Al Davis's little brother. Plus Shanny wants no part of a QB like Romo. Where ever Shanny ends btwn 010 and 011, he'll want to go to a team that has a QB equal or close to the talent of an Elway, a Steve Young, or Jay Cutler. The last thing Shanny wants are project type QB's with challenging talent.

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Why take over a train wreck and let Bowlen off the hook for paying you?

Shanny will look at all offers and pick the team with the best QB/Oline combo he can find.

Then he will try to steal Bobby Turner by offering him offensive coord.

DenverBrit
10-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Remember Jimmy Johnson's stint in Miami?

Shanny needs to choose wisely, whoever hires him will expect the SB coach, not the one that got fired.

He should talk with Jimmy. ;D

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 09:44 PM
a QB equal or close to the talent of an Elway, a Steve Young, or Jay Cutler.

One of these things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZIvgQ9ik48

RedskinBronco
10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
what a difference between the 2 organizations I follow most. Be happy that Pat Bowlen is still in charge, he's a good man. Meanwhile, the redskins miss Jack Kent Cooke so badly. It's going to be a while before they are respectable again. Snyder has no incentive to do anything because fans will continue to show up in DC.

~Crash~
10-11-2009, 10:01 PM
One of these things...

So you are say steve young was kick ass at TB :sunshine:

Pick Six
10-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Has anybody considered the theory that the NFL game has passed him by? I won't miss the predictabilty of his conservative plays. That got us into trouble in recent years...

Durango
10-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that Jason Garrett was the heir apparent in Dallas. I've also read and heard from just about everybody NOT in the know (fans) that Dallas is almost a foregone conclusion as far as Shanny is concerned.

I have to believe Shanny would want to build his own staff, and I also am led to believe that Jerry Jones has no intention of letting Garrett go anywhere. I guess it will be interesting to see how that resolves itself, and that's assuming Shanny wants anything to do with Dallas.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 10:11 PM
So you are say steve young was kick ass at TB :sunshine:

Haha yeah, that's it. The main problem with Rastaman saying that Jay Cutler is as talented as John Elway is settled with a simple statistic: John Elway = awesome. Jay Cutler = not awesome.

~Crash~
10-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Haha yeah, that's it. The main problem with Rastaman saying that Jay Cutler is as talented as John Elway is settled with a simple statistic: John Elway = awesome. Jay Cutler = not awesome.

I would think that is up to Jay Cutler not you but I could be wrong . Are you God and already know ?

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I would think that is up to Jay Cutler not you but I could be wrong . Are you God and already know ?

I didn't realize you had to be God to recognize the difference between a Hall of Famer who is without any debate one of the best to ever play the game and someone who is solidly average. :-)

Popps
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Shanahan had a woodie to coach in Florida at one point. I wouldn't rule out a college job or even one of the pro teams down there.

Bronco Boy
10-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Shanny at Notre Dame might force me to actually root for that team for once in my life.

ZONA
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm going to rule out SD. I don't think Shanny wants to make it his 3rd AFC West team. And yes, he won't be coaching the Quiefs either.

I think he wants a high profile gig with a very popular team (Dallas) where getting FA's would be easier and an owner who will gladly pay for them. I don't think he's gonna have problems with Jones.

My second guess would be a team in Florida, such as Miami or TB. He loves sunny Florida.

rastaman
10-12-2009, 05:56 AM
One of these things...

Any of those guys ever win a super bowl "Smart Azz":peace:

rastaman
10-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Hey Chuckle Nutzs......check out Elways interception to TD RATIO early in his career. You not what you're talking about---but what else is new!

rastaman
10-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Shanny going to college would be pretty sweet if you ask me....I'd actually root for him there but not in the NFL.

Why wouldn't you root for Shanny if he went to another team to coach?:sunshine:

rbackfactory80
10-12-2009, 06:04 AM

Who says Aj Smith will be there?

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Hey Chuckle Nutzs......check out Elways interception to TD RATIO early in his career. You not what you're talking about---but what else is new!

I'm not even quite sure what "You not what you're talking about" means, but I'll assume it means something to the effect of "you're wrong, John Elway, Steve Young, and Jay Cutler are all equally talented." Pretty much my only response to that is to laugh hysterically.

rastaman
10-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Where is there evidence that Shanny wants full control like he had in Denver when he returns to coaching? I believe Shanny in his next HC job will want to concentrate solely on he Offensive side of the ball, while giving complete trust over to his DC, while having a compromising relationship concerning player personnel decisions.

Point is Shanahan knows how to evaluate offensive players. Perhaps the Goodman's will be part of the bargain with whichever team Shanny signs with.

From Shanahan's visits with teams around the league to get a better understanding of the 3-4 Defense, its a safe bet he'll find the best available 3-4 Defensive Coord avail to run his Defense, with perhaps Slowick as assistant 3-4 Defensive Coord; so as to allow Slowick to learn how to become 3-4 DC one day. Such is Shanny's loyalty to Slowick.8')

Its kind a funny listening to some of the poster here that uncomfortable or plain scared to death with the possibility of Shanny coaching in the AFC west. I don't understand what the concern is about, after all according to the naysayers, the game has passed Shanny by and he had become to predictable and stuck in his ways.ROFL!

That sounds like the recipe of losing coach and a guaranteed 2 game wins in the division or our Broncos....so why all the concern!!!:wiggle:

colonelbeef
10-12-2009, 08:27 AM

I still think Chicago. They have gone as far as Lovie Smith is going to take them, and they are only a few pieces from making a title run

DenverBrit
10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Where is there evidence that Shanny wants full control like he had in Denver when he returns to coaching? I believe Shanny in his next HC job will want to concentrate solely on he Offensive side of the ball, while giving complete trust over to his DC, while having a compromising relationship concerning player personnel decisions.

Point is Shanahan knows how to evaluate offensive players. Perhaps the Goodman's will be part of the bargain with whichever team Shanny signs with.

From Shanahan's visits with teams around the league to get a better understanding of the 3-4 Defense, its a safe bet he'll find the best available 3-4 Defensive Coord avail to run his Defense, with perhaps Slowick as assistant 3-4 Defensive Coord; so as to allow Slowick to learn how to become 3-4 DC one day. Such is Shanny's loyalty to Slowick.8')

Its kind a funny listening to some of the poster here that uncomfortable or plain scared to death with the possibility of Shanny coaching in the AFC west. I don't understand what the concern is about, after all according to the naysayers, the game has passed Shanny by and he had become to predictable and stuck in his ways.ROFL!

That sounds like the recipe of losing coach and a guaranteed 2 game wins in the division or our Broncos....so why all the concern!!!:wiggle:

You're really more a Shanny fan than a Broncos fan.

I hope he lands somewhere soon, so you have a team to root for. ;D

Tombstone RJ
10-12-2009, 08:36 AM
If I was the Buffalo Bills (Ralph Wilson) I'd hire Shanny and give him final say on player personel decisions. Let Shanny have final say on the players, yet let Marv Levy have finall say in the coaching staff.

That's what I'd do if I was the Bills ownership...

dbfan21
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM

Agreed! I was thinking the same thing as I was scrolling down this thread. AJ Smith is a HUGE reason why Mike will not end up in SD. There's no way they could co-exist.

If it true Shanny said no to Snyder, it's probably because he wants to see what else is out there. He didn't take this season off and do all of that scouting in Pittsburgh, U of F, New England, etc just to jump into the poop chute known as the Redskins.

He's going to take his time, interview at as many places as possible, then make a decision.

ColoradoDarin
10-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Shanahan had a woodie to coach in Florida at one point. I wouldn't rule out a college job or even one of the pro teams down there.

Jax might have an opening, and Gainesville is only 90 minutes away

BroncoFiend
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Jerry Jones would never give Shanny full power. Infact Jones acts like he's Al Davis's little brother. Plus Shanny wants no part of a QB like Romo. Where ever Shanny ends btwn 010 and 011, he'll want to go to a team that has a QB equal or close to the talent of an Elway, a Steve Young, or Jay Cutler. The last thing Shanny wants are project type QB's with challenging talent.

I disagree, Shanny actually offered Romo more money as an undrafted free agent out of college than Dallas and really likes the kid.

As for Jones staying out of the way, Jones isn't a complete idiot. He saw how much improvement came when he handed the reins to Parcells, after Phillips, I think Jones is ready to give up some control and let a guy like Shanny turn things around.

I just hope Shanny stays out of SD, I could stomach (albeit barely) rooting from him in Dallas, but I could not possibly stand seeing him as a Bolt. With that talent, Shanny would put them over the top. I hope AJ really is that much of an arrogant a$$.

Gort
10-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Has anybody considered the theory that the NFL game has passed him by? I won't miss the predictabilty of his conservative plays. That got us into trouble in recent years...

1st down, bootleg right. 2nd down, screen left. 3rd down, halfback dive left. 4th down, punt.

how can anybody say there is no place in the NFL for his offense!!! it's brilliant. pure brilliance i tell you! and the bend-but-dont-break defense with 12 yard cushions... true genius. genius i tell you!

:~ohyah!:

Mountain Bronco
10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Urban Myer will take the Notre Dame Jobe after the 2010-2011 season and Shanny will coach the Florida Gators. He is still being paid by Bolen until then.

ORANGEJARHEAD
10-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Shanny is goin' to Dallas.

ORANGEJARHEAD
10-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Who did Shanny replace when he came to Denver in '95? Wade Phillips.

Tombstone RJ
10-12-2009, 11:14 AM
If Shanny can get along with Jerra Jones and IF Shanny can capitulate to Jone's ultimate authority, then sure, I can see Shanny going to the pokes.

But that's two big ifs...

I think Shanny will go to which ever team he thinks is a best fit for him and his managment style.

NYBronc
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Francesa just mentioned Shanahan will take over the Redskins mid-season. Said where there's smoke there's fire.

Also ate his crow about the Broncs and admitted he was dead wrong.

rastaman
10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
If Shanny can get along with Jerra Jones and IF Shanny can capitulate to Jone's ultimate authority, then sure, I can see Shanny going to the pokes.

But that's two big ifs...

I think Shanny will go to which ever team he thinks is a best fit for him and his managment style.

Its still fresh in Shanny's mind how the egotistical primma Donna Jerra Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after the Cowboys just finish winning 2 consecutive SB's!

Perhaps Shanny should talk to Jimmy Johnson first before he thinks about taking a job with the Cow Girls.

Smiling Assassin27
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Del Rio gets axed and Shanny returns to sunny, backwoods, Florida.

HAT
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM

I've said all along that Shanny is still a good coach but needed to be fired because he'd become stale in Denver.

That being said....I HOPE he goes to SD. That would make the rivalry that much better.

Mogulseeker
10-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Chi-town

TonyR
10-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wants Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden to be his next head coach, according to the Washington Examiner.

Snyder reportedly began considering replacements for Jim Zorn after the Skins' Week 3 loss to Detroit, and prefers Gruden to Mike Shanahan because Shanny wants full personnel control. Gruden has not been contacted by Snyder, and no permanent coach is likely to be named until the offseason. Should Zorn get a pink slip before or during the team's Week 8 bye as expected, OL coach Joe Bugel and special teams coordinator Danny Smith are obvious in-house interim candidates.

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33292898/ns/sports-player_news/

bronco militia
10-18-2009, 09:03 PM
intersting developments.....IMO, this will allow the Shanny rumors to continue.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

Zorn, Cerrato's fates apparently are intertwined
Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2009 9:58 PM ET
Redskins fans, there might be signs of hope in D.C., after all.

We're hearing that there's a strong belief within the Redskins organization that the fates of coach Jim Zorn and V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato are tied together.

So if/when Zorn goes, Cerrato could be dumped, too. (There's a chance Zorn would go after the Eagles game next Monday, and that Cerrato wouldn't be fired until after the season ends.)

That might help explain why Zorn and Cerrato will decide tomorrow who'll call the plays for the rest of the year. And why Zorn didn't simply refuse to give up his play-calling function.

The next question becomes who'll call the plays?

If it's not Sherm Lewis, we're not sure who it will be. Mike Holmgren? Joe Gibbs? Dan Snyder?

That said, Zorn should have refused to give up his play-calling duties and forced his termination. Instead, he has now allowed himself to be systematically neutered over the past two weeks, with the addition of Lewis and now the surrender of one of Zorn's core functions.

JCMElway
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Chicago or Dallas makes the most sense to me.

baja
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
ShaNNY WILL BUY INTO SD AND CARRY THE SAME POWER HE HAD A DENVER AND HE WILL FAIL.

bronco militia
10-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Chicago or Dallas makes the most sense to me.

IMO, any team with a GM opening

baja
10-18-2009, 09:19 PM
sorry caps?

KevinJames
10-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Shanny wants Dallas, remember he liked Romo and was thinking about drafting him.

same college as him and all that.

uplink
10-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Shanny is goin' to Dallas.

I still think Jones jettisoned an agreement with Reeves as an adviser with the Cowboys in hopes of landing Shanny next year. Apparently right before a contract was signed, Wade wanted him, Jones put in a clause Reeves could not accept for some strange reason. It was disrespectful having him account for all hours worked or something like that.

Drunk Monkey
10-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Urban Myer will take the Notre Dame Jobe after the 2010-2011 season and Shanny will coach the Florida Gators. He is still being paid by Bolen until then.

I pray, wish and hope this is true but it ain't. Myer has the best coaching job in NCAA. He ain't going anywhere but the pro's and I even doubt that.

cutthemdown
10-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Shanny IMO will pick somewhere with mild weather. Somewhere like SD or Jacksonville.

broncocalijohn
10-18-2009, 11:17 PM

He better bring the love of the game back to have that chance. Shanny brings back Slowick, we will never lose to the Chargers.

broncocalijohn
10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
I still think Jones jettisoned an agreement with Reeves as an adviser with the Cowboys in hopes of landing Shanny next year. Apparently right before a contract was signed, Wade wanted him, Jones put in a clause Reeves could not accept for some strange reason. It was disrespectful having him account for all hours worked or something like that.

Jones wanted Reeves to basically account for his hours, like a time card. I agreed with Reeves.... F YOU Jones!

cutthemdown
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Del Rio gets axed and Shanny returns to sunny, backwoods, Florida.

I could see it. Then he would have mansion in woodsy Colo, and a beach place in Sunny J-ville.

baja
10-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Josh Mcdaniels is a better coach than Mike Shanahan is you want a team to play their hearts out

Kyle Orton is a better QB than Jay Cutler if you want a team that finds a way to win games.

Cito Pelon
10-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Shanny is 60 years old. Does he really want to go through the meatgrinder again as HC when he has better options? I guess we'll find out.

Rohirrim
10-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Shanny is 60 years old. Does he really want to go through the meatgrinder again as HC when he has better options? I guess we'll find out.

You're right. He should pick a situation where he can still enjoy coaching football, but isn't under the enormous pressures of the NFL. He should go where players play for the love of the game: College! He should go to CU. !Booya!

lazarus4444
10-19-2009, 07:49 AM
^^That would be tight...

rastaman
10-19-2009, 08:04 AM
You're right. He should pick a situation where he can still enjoy coaching football, but isn't under the enormous pressures of the NFL. He should go where players play for the love of the game: College! He should go to CU. !Booya!

And deal with the NCAA every year with layers of recruiting rules/violations. Who needs to headache!

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Earlier in the year I contended that with Shanahan's Illinois ties, the Bears are a distinct possibility. I still maintain that.

I can also see him waiting for Dallas, SD, Jacksonville, and maybe even Tampa Bay to get in the mix. I could see him working Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder against each other in a bidding war and Bowlen being off the hook for all of Shanny's salary.

Also, if the rumors are true that Shanahan is making Slowick his DC in his next stop, I'll go on record right now and say that he'll fail where he goes next and Slowick will pull him right out of the hall of fame.

Beantown Bronco
10-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Also, if the rumors are true that Shanahan is making Slowick his DC in his next stop, I'll go on record right now and say that he'll fail where he goes next and Slowick will pull him right out of the hall of fame.

Could you imagine the meltdown around here if Shanny threw everyone a curve ball and signed Nolan to be his Assistant Head Coach - Defense wherever he went next season (or some other title indicative of a raise from his current DC title)?

Broncoman13
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Shanny will end up at a college somewhere. Somebody should post a poll with all the possibilites so we can look at it a year from now... lord knows we like to pull out past threads years later for a good laugh!

It would be awesome if he ended up at CU.. but I give it about a 3% chance.

Notre Dame is possible no?

Bronco Warrior
10-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Shannyt goes to Dallas for his good buddy Jerry Jones!Jerry will give him what he wants

Rohirrim
10-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Shanny will end up at a college somewhere. Somebody should post a poll with all the possibilites so we can look at it a year from now... lord knows we like to pull out past threads years later for a good laugh!

It would be awesome if he ended up at CU.. but I give it about a 3% chance.

Notre Dame is possible no?

At CU, he keeps the mansion. :~ohyah!:

TheDave
10-19-2009, 08:51 AM
shannyt goes to dallas for his good buddy jerry jones!jerry will give him what he wants

+1

TonyR
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Could you imagine the meltdown around here if Shanny threw everyone a curve ball and signed Nolan to be his Assistant Head Coach - Defense wherever he went next season (or some other title indicative of a raise from his current DC title)?

Ugh, what an awful thought. But D-coordinators under Shanny are kind of like black guys in horror movies: it rarely ends well for them. Hopefully Nolan is aware of this!

Kaylore
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM

That would indeed shock me and also make me happy for him. It would show that he is learning, and so long as we didn't play his team, I would root for him.

Cito Pelon
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
That would indeed shock me and also make me happy for him. It would show that he is learning, and so long as we didn't play his team, I would root for him.

Not me.

I still despise Shanahan for taking the Raider HC job so he could win against the team that brought him into the NFL. The POS gladly accepted the Raider HC job! Jesus, I'm surprised nobody but me thinks of him as a treacherous backstabbing POS.

If he raided the roster and coaching ranks now I'd despise him even more.

bowtown
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Not me.

I still despise Shanahan for taking the Raider HC job so he could win against the team that brought him into the NFL. The POS gladly accepted the Raider HC job! Jesus, I'm surprised nobody but me thinks of him as a treacherous backstabbing POS.

You have a list of everyone who's ever wronged you in your life, and you look at it every night before you go to bed, don't you?

Drek
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM

So Nolan could move his family yet again?

He's got some fairly young kids still if I recall and has ties to the Denver area from back when he was an assistant here. I'm betting he stays in Denver just as long as McDaniels wants him around unless a premium HC job (read: not Cleveland/Washington/etc.) is offered.

rastaman
10-19-2009, 03:16 PM

No way. Isn't Nolan signed up with us for the next 2 or 4 years? If not, we had better sign him now.

rastaman
10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Not me.

What the hell are you talking about? Where's your spirit of competition? Thats the risk you take when you fire a HC as an owner. You never know when that coach will comeback to compete against you.

As a fan, you have to realize you can't have your cake and eat it too. Why not wish Shanny the best of luck where ever he goes. Thats the grown-up way to look at. Besides many believe he got stale and complacent here in Denver and it was time for him to go.

According to this logic, the game has passed him by and he's gotten to old for the NFL, so why worry which team Shanny decides to coach in the future, the game has passed him by so he won't be successful with any team.

lookin' glass
10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
With what has happened in Tennessee this year might that be a spot where Shanny could land? Although I see him going someplace where there is one of the better QBs - DAL, CHI or SD.