meangene
10-11-2009, 04:30 AM
mark kiszla
Kiszla: Time to embrace Orton as one of us
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton (Denver Post file photo)

Let's keep it real. You will never, ever get closer to a supermodel named Gisele than the pages of an old Victoria's Secret catalog or look sexy wearing a milk mustache or be as cool as NFL stud Tom Brady.

But, one of these years, you might bump into Kyle Orton at the Colorado State Fair and actually have a shot at knocking over more milk bottles on the carnival midway than he can topple.

The Broncos quarterback with the bent noodle for an arm is one of us.

Orton is a regular guy with a bad haircut. His favorite jokes are the ones he cracks on himself. He toasts life's victories with Jack and Coke.

So it beats me. I don't understand it.

Why have Broncomaniacs been so slow to embrace Orton?

He is the anti-Brady.

Or as Orton once explained in my favorite quote from him since he hit town: "This ain't a game where it's always gonna be pretty."

Brady has ascended to the status of NFL legend at age 32. He wins Super Bowl rings and poses for magazine photo shoots while wearing a wet T-shirt. Refs treat him like a Faberge egg.

Orton is the quarterback from down the block, and the last time anybody noticed anything about his T-shirt, it was probably a mustard stain. His roots in the heartland run deeper than a whole field of Iowa corn.

If that's not enough for you to cheer for Orton when the Broncos play New England, then there's something wrong.

But what you wanna bet that when the Patriots take the field in Denver, there will be more fans in the stadium wearing Brady jerseys than the No. 8 of Orton?

In my book, the list of franchise quarterbacks in the NFL begins with Peyton Manning, ends with Brady and the only other name worth mentioning in the same breath is Ben Roethlisberger. It's not Orton's fault that Jay Cutler told the Broncos to take the QB job and shove it on the dark side of Mount Evans.

After managing to win the four games he has started for Denver, Orton owns a higher passer rating than Philip Rivers or Tony Romo, yet Orton still gets bashed on fan websites dedicated to the team, such as milehighreport.com, where a review fresh off Denver's win against Dallas griped: "Right now, I feel like I'm watching a time bomb. No picks yet, but a five-interception game is right around the corner. . . . Bottom line is I don't trust him."

Crafting a 25-12 record as an NFL quarterback doesn't really count for Orton in the eyes of many Broncomaniacs, because a gunslinging Cutler could inspire fantasies of John Elway, while "game manager" brings back bad memories of Brian Griese.

Did the Broncos have to pick today to break out the vertically striped socks and bring back a worse look from the 1960s than shag carpet? Was it really necessary to dress up Orton in retro colors inspired by a brown trout?

The Denver quarterback isn't naive. Orton already knows he will never appear as dashing in a uniform as Brady, who is so GQ handsome that NFL rule-makers are constantly researching and developing new penalties to keep him from getting bruised.

We all see the differences. Brady is headed for the Hall of Fame without a doubt. Landing a long-term contract with the Broncos would be a dream for Orton.

But in a football city as sophisticated as Denver, isn't it about time we stop judging quarterbacks on style points?

Lose to the Patriots, and the Orton-bashers
will cite it as solid proof Denver can never, ever win another Super Bowl without an elite QB.

Despite the fact his career record against the Broncos is 1-5, including a 100-yard interception that cost New England a playoff victory, Brady will always be regarded as a winner in Colorado.

Maybe Broncomaniacs need to ask themselves:

Is this a football game or a beauty contest?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good article with some great quotes. Orton kind of embodies the overachiever, blue collar ethic of this team.

NYBronco
10-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Orton didn't create the situation that swirls around him he just comes in and does his job with an injured and gloved throwing hand. The crtiticism continues because he was the unlucky QB to "replace" the so called "franchise" Cutler.

I'm an Orton supporter from the beginning when this whole thing started with the childish antics of the Broncos "franchise" QB. After getting his way and being sent to his current team it's easy for me to support Orton after all the timely interceptions and fumbles the "franchise" QB put the franchise and fanbase through.

Go Orton and Broncos beat the Pats.

errand
10-11-2009, 06:02 AM
the difference between Griese and Orton is one wins games and leads the team...the other would fold like a cheap lawn chair and couldn't lead a starving mob to a Golden Corral buffet

zdoor
10-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I think the point about Griese is pretty accurate. I know for me that is probably the biggest reason he hasn't won me over. He reminds me of Griese...

I will however happily eat crow if he keeps getting better....

Broncomutt
10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
So nice of you to start supporting the entire team Mr. Kizla.

Yes you may board the bandwagon. We will be making stops and taking on new fans at anytime during the season, September thru December.

However, If things suddenly turn and you want off, we ain't stopping so you'll have to jump and roll. Got that mother ****er?

Welcome aboard.:flower:

backup qb
10-11-2009, 08:51 AM
While I fully support the team, I am not buying into Orton after 4 weeks. Disclaimer-as a fan, I hope I am wrong and he completely wins me over. However, I am still very skeptical.

backup qb
10-11-2009, 08:51 AM
BTW-closin in on 1000 posts! Only taken 6 years.....

lostknight
10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Orton is good enough to win... against the Dallas, Oakland and Cleveland teams in the NFL. Is he good enough to win against the Patriots? Even though we have traditionally owned them, they stomped us last year about this time.

I agree with the OP on this detail - the NFL has become too much about celebrity. That's something that neither Orton or Cutler have done well with. But filtering that issue out, the question remains is a conservative offense, or a attacking offense more appropriate?

Can Orton step on the gas pedal? So far the offense has lacked rhythm and missed obvious plays. But they also have been extraordinarily conservative and protected the ball, and let the defense dominate by eating clock time.

I don't have the answer to these questions, but if Orton wins today, and it is his game to win, then we can safely say he is good enough. At least until the 2005's conservative game manager - Jake Plummer - gives way to 2006's disastrous interception machine - Jake Plummer.

Inkana7
10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Orton is sweet.

baja
10-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Orton could easily have a better career than jay Cutler.

chex
10-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Who cares how he wins? He just does. Wins get you into the playoffs.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Cvo4jwbe8wE/SiRYBquqrnI/AAAAAAAACgs/hysSjhYe2eE/s400/woodysnipes_468x619.jpg

'You'd rather look pretty and lose, than look ugly and win'

HAT
10-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Orton is good enough to win... against the Dallas, Oakland and Cleveland teams in the NFL. Is he good enough to win against the Patriots? Even though we have traditionally owned them, they stomped us last year about this time.

I agree with the OP on this detail - the NFL has become too much about celebrity. That's something that neither Orton or Cutler have done well with. But filtering that issue out, the question remains is a conservative offense, or a attacking offense more appropriate?

Can Orton step on the gas pedal? So far the offense has lacked rhythm and missed obvious plays. But they also have been extraordinarily conservative and protected the ball, and let the defense dominate by eating clock time.

I don't have the answer to these questions, but if Orton wins today, and it is his game to win, then we can safely say he is good enough. At least until the 2005's conservative game manager - Jake Plummer - gives way to 2006's disastrous interception machine - Jake Plummer.

Can you please bold the parts that were sarcasm for us again?

TonyR
10-11-2009, 09:59 AM
While I fully support the team, I am not buying into Orton after 4 weeks. Disclaimer-as a fan, I hope I am wrong and he completely wins me over. However, I am still very skeptical.

Very fair. I personally have no problem with the skepticism. I have some myself. What I do have a problem with are the people who aren't supporting him and/or rooting for him. That's just stupid.

Jason in LA
10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
mark kiszla

He toasts life's victories with Jack and Coke.

If that's true, I'm officially off the Orton bandwagon. Why would anybody ruin a perfectly good drink like Jack Daniel's by putting coke in it. Just add ice and you're good.

;D

yerner
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
His game blows bu I have found myself less critical of him after watching his post game press conferences. He really makes a good impression there. He appears likable and humble. These clips have really started to change my opinion.

backup qb
10-11-2009, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=chex;2591806]Who cares how he wins? He just does. Wins get you into the playoffs.

Wins may get you into the playoffs and Orton may be capable of that. However, PLAYMAKERS win super bowls. Please don't bring up Dilfer. He played with artguably the greatest D ever. He was the anomaly. It takes Mannings, Big Ben, Bradys, etc to win Super Bowls. That is my concern. Can Orton bring us back when down 10 in the 4th? Can he win the 35-31 game? Only time will tell. I will remain skeptical, but also hopeful.

Jason in LA
10-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Wins may get you into the playoffs and Orton may be capable of that. However, PLAYMAKERS win super bowls. Please don't bring up Dilfer. He played with artguably the greatest D ever. He was the anomaly. It takes Mannings, Big Ben, Bradys, etc to win Super Bowls. That is my concern. Can Orton bring us back when down 10 in the 4th? Can he win the 35-31 game? Only time will tell. I will remain skeptical, but also hopeful.

I agree. If this Broncos D turns out to be on the level of the '00 Ravens, then Orton can get it done. But lets not get carried away. I'm loving the D, but they won't hold teams to under a touchdown per game for the entire season.

Orton doesn't need to be like Peyton Manning, who lights the scoreboard up by passing. But if he could be like Ben and Brady, meaning limiting the turnovers while making key plays, then it could work. At this point I'd say he's limiting the turnovers (zero), but he isn't making key plays.

The first Super Bowl that Ben won with the Steelers, the Steelers led the league in rushing attempts and were 32nd in passing attempts. But when the Steelers did pass the ball Ben made the plays. He kept drives alive. The defense and running game played great, and when they needed Ben to pick up the slack he did. The Broncos are going to need Orton to do that if they really want to make a run at it all.

Jason in LA
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
One point about Orton needing to make plays like a Tom Brady. I'm not saying that he needs to be as good as Tom Brady. I don't need anybody jumping on my back for that one. But Brady when he simply "managed" the game, like Ben did when the Steelers won, was totally different from the Brady who set those single season passing records in '07. When Brady just managed the game they won the Super Bowl. When Brady and the '07 Pats turned into the '99 Rams and passed the ball all over the place and set records, they got beat (only had to happen once). The '07 Giants pretty much played the role of the '01 Pats, who played great D and got enough plays from their QB to beat the '01 Rams in the Super Bowl.

Orton just needs to make more plays. Not miracle plays (which are nice), but plays to keep drives alive.

broncofan7
10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Very fair. I personally have no problem with the skepticism. I have some myself. What I do have a problem with are the people who aren't supporting him and/or rooting for him. That's just stupid.

Who doesn't root for him? I doubt that their is any Broncos fan on this site who doesn't realize that the Broncos offense goes as Orton goes...........his stats say one thing--my eyes and game recollections tell another story...........

5TD passes:

- 1TD on a deflected pass in week 1
-a pass that easily could have been knocked down or intercepted by Anthony Spencer of Dallas
-a 51 yard catch and run by Marshall who was able to use his sheer height advantage to out leap Newman who otherwise had great coverage--

Better to be lucky than good sometimes, but.............

Orange_Beard
10-11-2009, 11:26 AM
the difference between Griese and Orton is one wins games and leads the team...the other would fold like a cheap lawn chair and couldn't lead a starving mob to a Golden Corral buffet

So who's who?

Orange_Beard
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
One point about Orton needing to make plays like a Tom Brady. I'm not saying that he needs to be as good as Tom Brady. I don't need anybody jumping on my back for that one. But Brady when he simply "managed" the game, like Ben did when the Steelers won, was totally different from the Brady who set those single season passing records in '07. When Brady just managed the game they won the Super Bowl. When Brady and the '07 Pats turned into the '99 Rams and passed the ball all over the place and set records, they got beat (only had to happen once). The '07 Giants pretty much played the role of the '01 Pats, who played great D and got enough plays from their QB to beat the '01 Rams in the Super Bowl.

Orton just needs to make more plays. Not miracle plays (which are nice), but plays to keep drives alive.

I agree.

bronco militia
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
So who's who?

is this a trick question?

Bronx33
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Can you please bold the parts that were sarcasm for us again?

:spit:!

meangene
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
The whole offense is learning a new, very complicated system and many of the struggles can not be attributed to Orton - penalties, dropped passes, etc. Marshall, who is our big-play WR has been late to the dance, there has been some miscommunication with receivers, the OL is learning a partially new system. Orton has been smart enough to be very careful with the ball, understanding the game situations and the way our defense has been playing. He has been almost overly cautious at times but I'm not sure that is a bad thing at this point in the offense's development. I expect you will see more big plays as the season progresses and the offense gels. I also think you will see him taking a few more chances when we are in situations where we need to. For now, the guy clearly has a tremendous understanding of the game and it is no coincidence his winning percentage is what it is.

errand
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I think the point about Griese is pretty accurate. I know for me that is probably the biggest reason he hasn't won me over. He reminds me of Griese...

I'm sure the reason they referenced Griese was because he was a game manager type QB. Nobody sees Orton as a big armed QB...and because of his lack of cannon, it somehow unfairly downgrades his rep as a guy who wins games.

Orton's arm is stronger if it isn't as accurate as Brian's....and he's got a bit of never say die attitude/fire in him.....and that alone seperates him from the gutless wonder.

Inkana7
10-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Who doesn't root for him? I doubt that their is any Broncos fan on this site who doesn't realize that the Broncos offense goes as Orton goes...........his stats say one thing--my eyes and game recollections tell another story...........

5TD passes:

-a pass that easily could have been knocked down or intercepted by Anthony Spencer of Dallas
-a 51 yard catch and run by Marshall who was able to use his sheer height advantage to out leap Newman who otherwise had great coverage--

Seriously? Do you know how many of Cutler's TDs could be "taken away" by your criteria?

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Orton is a cross between Griese and Plummer. the good traits of both. the style of play of Griese manages the game doesn't screw the team over with stupid mistakes and the leadership, team mentallity and competitiveness of Plummer.

I like Orton and always have. I think the guy is getting better every week for us, has the ability to lead us farther into the playoffs than Jay was going to anytime soon(at least get us into the playoffs which Jay couldn't) he is more of a leader and a better teammate after 4 games than Jay was in 3 years.

he may not have the incredible athletic ability of Cutler, but few people do. what he does have is the intelligence to use what he has to win.

i would be very happy with him as our QB for the next 5 years.

baja
10-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Orton is a cross between Griese and Plummer. the good traits of both. the style of play of Griese manages the game doesn't screw the team over with stupid mistakes and the leadership, team mentallity and competitiveness of Plummer.

I like Orton and always have. I think the guy is getting better every week for us, has the ability to lead us farther into the playoffs than Jay was going to anytime soon(at least get us into the playoffs which Jay couldn't) he is more of a leader and a better teammate after 4 games than Jay was in 3 years.

he may not have the incredible athletic ability of Cutler, but few people do. what he does have is the intelligence to use what he has to win.

Why only 5 years he is only 26 years old.

errand
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Who doesn't root for him?

You don't clown.....

You remind me of all those libs who had nothing good to say about our brave men and women in uniform,...but still claimed to support them.

chex
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about QB's? Maybe you're not old enough, but I remember Jim Kelly being a playmaker. Dan Marino too. Brett Favre and Peyton Manning have one SB win each, and neither was the primary reason why they won those games.

Meanwhile, guys like Dilfer, Rypien, Hostetler, and Brad Johnson have won Super Bowls.

Think about that - Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, and Brad Johnson have twice as many Super Bowl wins than Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, and Peyton Manning.

So what was that again you need a playmaker QB to win a Super Bowl?

Meck77
10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
The Broncos bandwagon keeps on growing one week at a time. Still holding out?

broncofan7
10-11-2009, 12:04 PM
You don't clown.....

You remind me of all those libs who had nothing good to say about our brave men and women in uniform,...but still claimed to support them.

The reason I am so against him being our starter is HIS PLAY--a backup QB masquerading as a starter--you fanboys are too enamored with his good fortune to notice.........you inbred, brokeback mountain loving clown.......

BroncoBuff
10-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Orton could easily have a better career than jay Cutler.

You just don't stop, do you?

Admit it, you love Jay ... nobody has Jay more on the mind than you and Popps.

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Why only 5 years he is only 26 years old.

i based my opinion on average contract length.

5 years seems to be the most commonly given contract.

but i am happy with him as the QB of this franchise til he hangs it up.

broncofan7
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Seriously? Do you know how many of Cutler's TDs could be "taken away" by your criteria?

Cutler has a GUN for an arm--orton--not so much..when orton does throw into coverage --he needs luck--when Cutler does it-he needs velocity........

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Peyton was dragged to that super bowl win and through the playoffs by Bob Sanders.

Eli was the recipient of a great defense that destroyed Brady all game long and a miracle catch

Ben is the recipient of 2 super bowls won by an awesome defense.

Brady is a guy playing within his offensive system with a damn good team built around him and a pretty good defense and quite possibly the most clutch kicker of all time which wins him super bowls.

not one of those guys you mentioned has carried a team to and won a super bowl on their own.

you don't need a superstar QB that can do it all, you don't need an Elway to win, you need a strong and complete team.

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Cutler has a GUN for an arm--orton--not so much..when orton does throw into coverage --he needs luck--when Cutler does it-he needs velocity........

Cutler needs a prayer that the 3 or 4 guys covering his receiver don't make a play on the ball.

chex
10-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Hmmm...so that bullet that he threw to Moreno that everyone thought would be a pick was just luck and not velocity?

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:19 PM

5TD passes:

how many Cutler TDs would come off the board if you took away Brandon Marshall's ability to run after catch.

how many near INTs did Cutler throw that turned into TDs?

1 miracle play(i seem to recall Jay having 1 last season against SD)

too many people are so ready to slight Orton on everything. if he does something good it was lucky or his receiver bailed him out. but if something bad happens every Cutler nut swinger is going to come out calling for Orton's head and talking all this i told you so bull**** about Orton.

the guy has us at 4-0, has not thrown an INT, has thrown 5 TDs, averages over 200 passing yards a game, is not putting the defense into bad situations or giving short field opportunities to the opposition which is a big reason we are only allowing 6.5 points a game.

he doesn't have Jay's athleticism, but he has made the entire team better.

BroncoMan4ever
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmmm...so that bullet that he threw to Moreno that everyone thought would be a pick was just luck and not velocity?

i had to rewatch that throw like 10 times. i knew his arm was a lot better than he got credit for. so many talk about his arm like he is Pennington, but he threw an awesome ball there. sure didn't look like a noodle arm delivery to me.

baja
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
You just don't stop, do you?

Admit it, you love Jay ... nobody has Jay more on the mind than you and Popps.

I have no ill will toward Jay Cutler I just don't think he is a franchise QB. I do think he throws a pretty pass though which is kinda like being qualified to preform brain surgery because you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

broncolife
10-11-2009, 12:25 PM

Orton said he got lucky

snowspot66
10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=chex;2591806]Who cares how he wins? He just does. Wins get you into the playoffs.

Peyton was dragged kicking and screaming to his one win. The defense dragged him to the win and he did his best to **** the bed. In fact he may have cost them Super Bowl victories with the eggs he laid. It was an embarrassment he got the game MVP. Big Ben won doing the same damn thing Orton is doing. Don't **** up.

Brady is simply calm under pressure. He got **** done when it had to be done. His best statistical play making year? No ring.

If Orton continues to take care of the ball, make a play here an there, and keep us in the game there is no reason to doubt we can win any game we play.

meangene
10-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Convinced? How you like him now?! :bronxrox:

Spider
10-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I have been on the orton bandwagon since day 1 he got here

listopencil
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Brady is a guy playing within his offensive system with a damn good team built around him and a pretty good defense and quite possibly the most clutch kicker of all time which wins him super bowls.

Nah, I call bull**** on that. Brady went to and won those Super Bowls in part because of his clutch play. There were many times he carried that Offense, delivered on THE critical drive/drives to help win the game. If I had to pick a QB to start a team with...I'd pick Brady.

listopencil
10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Back on topic, go search the youtube video threads from during the off season. You'll see who thought what.

listopencil
10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Orton said he got lucky

What's he gonna say? It's Kyle Orton. He's not gonna say, "I'm a ****ing stud and I nailed that throw, bitches."

scorpio
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I can't believe this sh*t

Circle Orange
10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
mark kiszla
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton (Denver Post file photo)

Let's keep it real. You will never, ever get closer to a supermodel named Gisele than the pages of an old Victoria's Secret catalog or look sexy wearing a milk mustache or be as cool as NFL stud Tom Brady.

But, one of these years, you might bump into Kyle Orton at the Colorado State Fair and actually have a shot at knocking over more milk bottles on the carnival midway than he can topple.

The Broncos quarterback with the bent noodle for an arm is one of us.

Orton is a regular guy with a bad haircut. His favorite jokes are the ones he cracks on himself. He toasts life's victories with Jack and Coke.

So it beats me. I don't understand it.

Why have Broncomaniacs been so slow to embrace Orton?

He is the anti-Brady.

Or as Orton once explained in my favorite quote from him since he hit town: "This ain't a game where it's always gonna be pretty."

Brady has ascended to the status of NFL legend at age 32. He wins Super Bowl rings and poses for magazine photo shoots while wearing a wet T-shirt. Refs treat him like a Faberge egg.

Orton is the quarterback from down the block, and the last time anybody noticed anything about his T-shirt, it was probably a mustard stain. His roots in the heartland run deeper than a whole field of Iowa corn.

If that's not enough for you to cheer for Orton when the Broncos play New England, then there's something wrong.

But what you wanna bet that when the Patriots take the field in Denver, there will be more fans in the stadium wearing Brady jerseys than the No. 8 of Orton?

In my book, the list of franchise quarterbacks in the NFL begins with Peyton Manning, ends with Brady and the only other name worth mentioning in the same breath is Ben Roethlisberger. It's not Orton's fault that Jay Cutler told the Broncos to take the QB job and shove it on the dark side of Mount Evans.

After managing to win the four games he has started for Denver, Orton owns a higher passer rating than Philip Rivers or Tony Romo, yet Orton still gets bashed on fan websites dedicated to the team, such as milehighreport.com, where a review fresh off Denver's win against Dallas griped: "Right now, I feel like I'm watching a time bomb. No picks yet, but a five-interception game is right around the corner. . . . Bottom line is I don't trust him."

Crafting a 25-12 record as an NFL quarterback doesn't really count for Orton in the eyes of many Broncomaniacs, because a gunslinging Cutler could inspire fantasies of John Elway, while "game manager" brings back bad memories of Brian Griese.

Did the Broncos have to pick today to break out the vertically striped socks and bring back a worse look from the 1960s than shag carpet? Was it really necessary to dress up Orton in retro colors inspired by a brown trout?

The Denver quarterback isn't naive. Orton already knows he will never appear as dashing in a uniform as Brady, who is so GQ handsome that NFL rule-makers are constantly researching and developing new penalties to keep him from getting bruised.

We all see the differences. Brady is headed for the Hall of Fame without a doubt. Landing a long-term contract with the Broncos would be a dream for Orton.

But in a football city as sophisticated as Denver, isn't it about time we stop judging quarterbacks on style points?

Lose to the Patriots, and the Orton-bashers
will cite it as solid proof Denver can never, ever win another Super Bowl without an elite QB.

Despite the fact his career record against the Broncos is 1-5, including a 100-yard interception that cost New England a playoff victory, Brady will always be regarded as a winner in Colorado.

Maybe Broncomaniacs need to ask themselves:

Is this a football game or a beauty contest?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good article with some great quotes. Orton kind of embodies the overachiever, blue collar ethic of this team.

Sounds like Mr. Paige has a "woody" for Tom the stickman. Big Deal about him, who cares. Did he win today? Brady is the ultimate system qb in a pocket, so enough slobbering about nothing.

5-0. Got it, Wood Man? The Orange be here. And all the squares go home.

Circle Orange
10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Peyton was dragged to that super bowl win and through the playoffs by Bob Sanders.

Eli was the recipient of a great defense that destroyed Brady all game long and a miracle catch

Ben is the recipient of 2 super bowls won by an awesome defense.

not one of those guys you mentioned has carried a team to and won a super bowl on their own.

you don't need a superstar QB that can do it all, you don't need an Elway to win, you need a strong and complete team.

Agree about Brady. All those Superbowls were "won" by field goals. I'd give a nod to the kicker. It don't exactly rake up the tension to get a team in position to KICK. But whatever, people will give Brady credit for everything. Never mind the fact that he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the first superbowl. It even took voters half an hour to decide on an MVP. They gave it to him for gloss sake.

SouthCarolinaBronco
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Orton was fantastic at halftime on Sunday Night Football. Very humble. Bob Costas made a baseball analogy to starting pitcher matchups and said something like "How does it feel that you beat Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Tom Brady?" Orton's response was "I didn't beat those guys. The Denver Broncos did."

Freaking awesome.

zdoor
10-11-2009, 09:47 PM

He's definitely improved every week. And he doesn't make many errors. I like the fact his teamates like him, and he and Marshall seem to be developing a chemistry. I'm glad he's proved me wrong.

Popps
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Orton was fantastic at halftime on Sunday Night Football. Very humble. Bob Costas made a baseball analogy to starting pitcher matchups and said something like "How does it feel that you beat Carson Palmer, Tony Romo, Tom Brady?" Orton's response was "I didn't beat those guys. The Denver Broncos did."

Freaking awesome.

Fantastic.

That's the attitude the new staff has been installing around Broncos headquarters. A far cry from the "centerpiece" theory we've failed with the past several years.

This team is just so much fun to watch. It's Broncos football again. Complete, physical football... home field advantage, and all.