PDA

View Full Version : This game is all about offense

lostknight
10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
This Sunday, the thing that Josh McDaniels was famous for - offensive production - must happen. It's been a bit perplexing to see how this team has operated this year. The defense has been steamrolling it's opponents while the offense has failed to find any sort of rhythm and consistency, outside of Buckhalter's running. This offense is badly under-performing.

Well, Cutler is in Chicago, Brandon Marshall is still growing up, and Buckhalter is out for the game. How do we win this game? I think the Broncos are realistically going to need to score 28 points to win this game. That's one touchdown per quarter, which would be a cinch in the Shanny days. For all of the humor impaired a-holes below, this is sarcasm.

But we have no down-field game - For every one pass we make down the field, we have lost several more wide open opportunities that Orton hasn't taken. Is it because he can't make the plays, or is not allowed to? For our sake, we better hope it's the second, because we need to open up the taps this game.

We also need to get Peyton Hillis involved as anything more then a old school fullback. He is a receiving threat out of the backfield, great indirection to mask what the RB is going to do, and a slugger in his own right. It's time to use ZBS full time this game to protect orton, and allow Moreno to rush the edges. The patriots generate the pressure going up the middle. Running away from that north-south would be wise.

Above all else, we need to get Eddie Royal, Brandon Marshall and Tony Sheffler involved. Tony needs to be out there every third down as a safety valve, and a go-route threat on a LB. Eddie needs to be running the 12 yard outs, and Marshall needs to be wherever he can get open, and make all of the patriot defenders look like fool.

C'mon Josh. Show everyone what they can do. Win this game, and watch us be a top 3 ranked team in the NFL.

Drek
10-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, Cutler is in Chicago, Brandon Marshall is still growing up, and Buckhalter is out for the game. How do we win this game? I think the Broncos are realistically going to need to score 28 points to win this game. That's one touchdown per quarter, which would be a cinch in the Shanny days.

The ****?

Shanahan's teams didn't average more than about 25 ppg since 2000. Typically more like 19-22 ppg. Cinch huh? We where 16th in the league in scoring last year, just a hair over 21 points a game.

Shanahan only managed to average over 28 ppg three times in his career. Two of those times we had John Elway, a prime Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, etc. and won the Super Bowl at the end of the season.

ZONA
10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
NE isn't exactly hitting on all cylinders on offense either, and to suggest we will allow more points to them in one game then we have all year long vs 4 other teams combined is insane. We won't need to score 28 to win. I think if we score 21, that's going to be enough. I'm thinking NE will probably score about 17 to 20 points.

misturanderson
10-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Yet another offseason hater making up excuses to hate our start and to complain if we win against NE in ugly fashion.

We don't NEED to get any specific person involved in the offense as long as we outscore our opponents. And we sure as hell don't NEED to get every offensive player on the team involved to your liking as long as our defense is playing like it is.

In fact the person that most NEEDS to be involved in the offense is pretty clearly Moreno, but Shanahan didn't draft him, so I can see why you would have left him off your list of people that NEED to get involved.

barryr
10-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Another idiot thread expecting 16-0, wins by 20+ points. Newsflash: this team has not been good the last 3 years and the new coach had to bring in over 30 new players considering the crappy roster that was there. Rebuilding a team usually takes more than one summer. The fact this team has started out 4-0 and doing so with a dominating type of defense, I find truly amazing. I don't give a **** if they win all games 17-14. A win is a win.

TonyR
10-10-2009, 03:43 PM
That's one touchdown per quarter, which would be a cinch in the Shanny days.

LOL Sure was a cinch while getting beat by the Pats 41-7 last season, not to mention 31-10 to the Raiders at home. Living up to your name: lost.

The Joker
10-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Poor OP but I actually agree with the general premise of the post.

I'm pretty sure the Pats will score somewhere between 15-25 points. If our D can keep them to less that'll be great, but I'd expect them to do more against us than anyone else we've faced.

The onus will be on the offense to step up and make something happen that is a bit better than what we've seen so far. Can we put up 2 or 3 TD's when we need them?

It's the most intriguing thing about us right now. McDaniels has looked good in so many regards since the season begun. The Defense looks quality, ST's have improved, the players look prepared, disciplined and able.

But, the thing that got McD to the dance, his ability to run one hell of an offense, has been the major absentee thus far.

As good as the guy has been so far, I have a hard time believing he won't get this offense playing, even with Kyle Orton at QB.

If/When he does that, I'll be very interested to see this team play.

Dagmar
10-10-2009, 03:55 PM
You really thought that all out? And sat an posted that garbage? Scoring was easy with Shanny? Remember the last NE game? Also more Hillis worship... He really hasn't shown much in the few opportunities given.

What a silly post. Can I have those minutes back?

dextermilo
10-10-2009, 04:00 PM
If the offense has a good first half we win. They have been solid so far in the 2nd.

Get ahead early, make NE one dimensional and manage the game when we have the ball. We have a good chance.

If we have more dropped passes on 3rd and short, more stupid penalties, and more fumbles we will have a very hard time.

HAT
10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
This thread has more FAIL and facepalm written all over it than anything I've seen on The Mane in a long time.....And that is really saying something these days. Especially with bf7 still posting.

I want to shred it point by point but I would only be pointing out the obvious so I will go ahead and save myself the typing.

Wow, just wow.

cmhargrove
10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Ouch!

KS Bronco
10-10-2009, 05:31 PM
i hope coach mcdaniels reads this thread, so he knows what to do on sunday! whew, we would have been screwed without this insight!

ColoradoDarin
10-10-2009, 06:04 PM
This thread has more FAIL and facepalm written all over it than anything I've seen on The Mane in a long time.....And that is really saying something these days. Especially with bf7 still posting.

I want to shred it point by point but I would only be pointing out the obvious so I will go ahead and save myself the typing.

Wow, just wow.

Begin Billy Madison quote...

Yes, we are all dumber now.

lostknight
10-10-2009, 06:33 PM
I edited the post above. Clearly sarcasm is lost on the McDaniel's stormtroopers.

My point is simple. This game will need more offense then we have been providing. Anyone who thinks we can hold the patriots to the average of our defense (less then 7 points) is wildly optimistic.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't believe you were being sarcastic.

brncs_fan
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I personally like that the offense doesn't try to do to much and risk setting up the opposing teams with really good starting position. We have become more opportunistic in instances where we catch a break and very methodical (not to be confused with conservative) in our approach to moving the ball. I much prefer the symbiosis of the offense and defense this year as opposed to the years past where the defense was coming out time and time again and trying to hold them to just a field goal.

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I edited the post above. Clearly sarcasm is lost on the McDaniel's stormtroopers.

My point is simple. This game will need more offense then we have been providing. Anyone who thinks we can hold the patriots to the average of our defense (less then 7 points) is wildly optimistic.

IF you were being sarcastic....

http://kevinrobinson.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/epic_fail.jpg

IF you weren't being sarcastic...

http://insultants.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/epic-fail2.jpg

SonOfLe-loLang
10-10-2009, 06:50 PM
You definitely weren't being sarcastic and McDaniels's offense has done what its need to to win. We've mostly been UP or very damn close, so he's trotted out the ball control, time eating offense...and, poof, it worked! Also, they did open up the offense downfield last game, in case you didn't watch, Orton just missed Gaffney twice.

The Joker
10-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Heck of a defense tactic though.

"I wasn't saying something completely stupid at all, you guys are the idiots for not seeing my sarcastic genius."

BroncoInSkinland
10-10-2009, 06:55 PM
It's time to use ZBS full time this game to protect orton, and allow Moreno to rush the edges.

Can you explain the ZBS, and how it works for me, that would be helpful.

edit: (trying to illustrate sarcasm for him, maybe this is a teachable moment.)

Paladin
10-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't believe you were being sarcastic.

Neither do I.

Paladin
10-10-2009, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=McSchism;2591391].......even with Kyle Orton at QB.QUOTE]

Hater alert! Hater Alert!!!!!

peacepipe
10-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Our defense isn't going to be able to hold every team to 10 points or less. Our defense is playing great but there are going to be games where our offense is going to have to do better scoring, this week may be one of them.

scorpio
10-10-2009, 08:51 PM
http://imgur.com/m2Lep.gif

Popps
10-10-2009, 09:00 PM
This has to be the stupidest ****ing thread I've ever seen.

Horrifically uninformed, incorrect and totally useless.

gunns
10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Why do we need to score 28 points?

And since Shanahan's SB days the Broncos haven't normally been scoring 28 pts.

SureShot
10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow I havent seen a thread blow up like this in awhile.

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Our defense isn't going to be able to hold every team to 10 points or less. Our defense is playing great but there are going to be games where our offense is going to have to do better scoring, this week may be one of them.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/CarGirl/CaptainObvious-1.png

BroncoInSkinland
10-10-2009, 09:06 PM
This has to be the stupidest ****ing thread I've ever seen.

Horrifically uninformed, incorrect and totally useless.

Oh come on, the analysis of the 9th ranked YPA, 8th ranked 20+ yard play, and 6th ranked 40+ yard play offense as one that needs to increase "down-field play" strikes you as uninformed? How can that be?

(Did I get sarcasm that time? I'm trying real hard here.)

Doggcow
10-10-2009, 10:10 PM
We need 24 to win

Garcia Bronco
10-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Defense!!!!!!

cutthemdown
10-10-2009, 10:38 PM
So the original thread starter saying defense can't hold pats to under 27 points? They will beed 28.

I'd say Dawkins has his new material right here.

He can say even our own fans think we can't stop the Patriots!!!! That's disrespectful. Also I don't want to piss you off all off. But that whole city is racist!!!!! Tom Brady's great grandfather was one of the largest slave owners that ever lived!!!!!!

cutthemdown
10-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Broncos need to score more, but I think the defense can hold pats to 20 points. We need 3 tds to win IMO.

Paladin
10-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Ot two TDs and three FGs.

Or Two TDs and two FGs and a S.

Or Four Ss and two TDs.

Or.......

Whatever.

I think McD says that the team needs to have one more point than the other guys......

(Did I read him saying that somewhere?)

HAT
10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Why do we need to score 28 points?

And since Shanahan's SB days the Broncos haven't normally been scoring 28 pts.

Clearly....He was just being sarcastic. Must've been the new vocabulary word in Jr. high this week.

:wiggle:

cutthemdown
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
remember in Fast Time at Ridgemont high when they trashed the star players car? Mcdaniels should have someone make it look like the Broncos home locker room got busted into at Mile High. Wreck all there stuff in lockers and paint it all up NE colors.

Paladin
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Or just paint Bucky the Pat's colors.....

SoDak Bronco
10-10-2009, 10:59 PM
You lost me when you said we MUST score 28 points

cutthemdown
10-11-2009, 12:02 AM
I do agree with one thing. Orton can't keep leaving his big plays on the field and expect to win, stay undefeated long etc.

At some point he has to hit those wide open WR, and I think he will.

Defense often catches on to changes quicker then the offense. New system, new QB, new Rb's make for some of a learning curve.

Also a dislocated finger that broke through the skin causing him to wear a glove might have something to do with it.

Orton deserves a lot of respect for playing injured. Not hurt, everyone does that, he's playing injured and that doesn't happen often.

listopencil
10-11-2009, 04:09 AM
You lost me when you said we MUST score 28 points

We must score more points than the Pats to win. Not only that, but our Defense has to keep them from scoring as many points as we do to avoid a tie. I would even go so far as to say that if our Defense can somehow make it so that the Pats actually score less than us...game's in the bag.