PDA

View Full Version : Champ comments on McD

TonyR
10-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Someone said this was threadworthy. So here it is.

"I tell you what, just being under Josh McDaniels for a few months now, I mean he's a guy that is going to have you as prepared as you can be for a game, and that's something that throughout my 11 years I haven't had a lot of," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "I've had some great coaches, including [Mike] Shanahan, but [McDaniels] is definitely one-of-a-kind in the way that he approaches the game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4543184

baja
10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I heard this somewhere....... ;D

OBF1
10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
SoCal told me the same thing

baja
10-10-2009, 11:43 AM

"I tell you what, just being under Josh McDaniels for a few months now, I mean he's a guy that is going to have you as prepared as you can be for a game, and that's something that throughout my 11 years I haven't had a lot of," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "I've had some great coaches, including [Mike] Shanahan, but [McDaniels] is definitely one-of-a-kind in the way that he approaches the game."

That is one hell of an incriminating statement coming from Champ.

TonyR
10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
He's almost saying McD > Shanahan, isn't he? Maybe even more than almost?

TonyR
10-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Has he been seen or heard from since we hit 2-0?

BroncoBuff
10-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice ... players always nice things about their current coaches, but that was beyond a normal compliment. It's pretty clear Josh is an excellent game day motivator.

BroncoBuff
10-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Not so much as an X's and O's coach, but definitely as a motivator. That was a cut at Mike ... he probably didn't intend as such, but it was nonetheless.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 11:48 AM

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4743/5vu49zk.gif

baja
10-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Nice ... players always nice things about their current coaches, but that was beyond a normal compliment. It's pretty clear Josh is an excellent game day motivator.

I think the complement was addressing more the level of preparedness.

The quote also served to point out a short coming of Mike Shanahan that explains alot about the Broncos play for the last several seasons.

What changed most this season - - - the players have bought into Josh McD and his approach toward the game. A clear sign of great coaching.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 11:54 AM
BroncoBuff, did you read the article? It has nothing to do with motivating. It's all about coaching and having the players prepared.

Re-read it.

and then this quote also from Champ.

“When you get in situations like that, you have to be prepared, and obviously [McDaniels] puts us through those situations in practice in close situations,” Bailey said. “Everybody knows what’s going to happen, what we expect from each other on the field when we get in certain situations. Fourth-and-goal, we know what plays are going to be called. I think that preparation helps us overcome the close games and helps us come out on top because we know what to expect when it gets close like that.”

It's not like he said "McDaniels fires us up with great speeches so we are really motivated to play," or "McDaniels gives us an extra day off if we win, so we try a bit harder than normal." He's saying that McDaniels breaks down each game by explaining how the team can be beaten and then clearly explains to each player what they specifically each need to do to win the game. It's about clearly defined roles so each player's job is simple and each player can go 100% because they are confident in what they're doing.

It's good coaching.

Popps
10-10-2009, 11:59 AM

:rofl:

TonyR
10-10-2009, 12:00 PM
It's all about coaching and having the players prepared.

Yes, and this team hit the field unprepared too many times over the last few seasons. Many examples could be cited, the most obvious being that debacle in Detroit in '07. This is one of the huge benefits of having a hungry, young coach with no laurels to rest on. This team won't win every game but will always be prepared. No blowouts to bad teams with this staff.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 12:02 PM
How many times after getting destroyed did we see Shanahan up there at the podium say "I didn't have this team ready to play, and that's on me." Or some other such comment. Seems like we had at least two games a season for the past three seasons where we had to listen to that after beating embarrassed.

Gcver2ver3
10-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Not so much as an X's and O's coach, but definitely as a motivator. That was a cut at Mike ... he probably didn't intend as such, but it was nonetheless.

no sir...not the case...

that wasn't about motivating (although i'd imagine McD is pretty good at that too)...this was about preparations and indeed the Xs and Os...

McDaniels approaches the game like his mentor BB...so his approach is thorough and probably pretty darn accurate...

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Champ came here with Shanahan telling him he would have opportunities to win, and he has suffered through mediocrity the majority of the time he has been here. Shanahan didn't follow through on what he sold to Champ. is it really surprising the Champ likes the coach who is fielding a competitive team as opposed to the coach that fielded mediocrity?

Paladin
10-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Some people are just too "right" to be called "wrong". Crow meat is not the most tasty or tender of culinary delights. It is too bad that some cannot just flat out enjoy the times.

I don't know how many games the Broncos will win this year, but I am absolutely certain that there will be more than a few championships on the horizon. Shanahan is passe. McD is Golden. And good for us Broncos fans. .....

rastaman
10-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Champ came here with Shanahan telling him he would have opportunities to win, and he has suffered through mediocrity the majority of the time he has been here. Shanahan didn't follow through on what he sold to Champ. is it really surprising the Champ likes the coach who is fielding a competitive team as opposed to the coach that fielded mediocrity?

I'm glad that Champ is finally getting to play with a great Defense and he's getting some help. But lets be serious here, Champ is positioning himself to ensure he gets the $15 million dollars he under contract to make as well. So why not butter up your new HC!LOL

TonyR
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
But lets be serious here, Champ is positioning himself to ensure he gets the $15 million dollars he under contract to make as well.

I think what Champ does on the field will speak louder than what he says off it.

misturanderson
10-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I think what Champ does on the field will speak louder than what he says off it.

And I think that rastaman likes watching the ticker on espn when they announce players signing new contracts more than he likes watching the games.

GoBroncos DownUnder
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
So Champ is saying: IF we get to week 14 of the season, AND we are preparing for a 4pm game WITH a 3 game lead in the AFC West over the Chargers ...
We WON'T be sitting around in the locker room watching the Chargers @ Chefs 1pm game on TV?? ???
Glad to hear it!

(Sorry I had to get that off my chest! ;))

USMCBladerunner
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm not too surprised hearing this from a defensive player, Shanny consistently coached defense by deference to his coordinator. As far back as the Super Bowl win over GB, with the late lead and being questioned by his D-coord he says "whatever you would normally do?"...pressed with "lots of pressure"...again "whatever you would normally do".

He just didn't really coach the defense, so hearing Champ say this isn't all that surprising. Hearing that McDaniels prepares his defense better than Coyer, Bates, or Slowick is also not a surprise.

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm glad that Champ is finally getting to play with a great Defense and he's getting some help. But lets be serious here, Champ is positioning himself to ensure he gets the $15 million dollars he under contract to make as well. So why not butter up your new HC!LOL

truthfully, i believe 1 of 2 things will happen with Champ. either he signs a new long term deal that restructures the 15million he is owed next year, or we trade him. no other options.

this season will be a big determining factor in whether or not he will want to re-sign him long term. if we do well and he sees and believes we are a legit competitor for a super bowl he will sign and stay, if he thinks we are not anywhere near ready to compete he will stand on the 15million he is owed and probably welcome a trade.

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 01:00 PM
So Champ is saying: IF we get to week 14 of the season, AND we are preparing for a 4pm game WITH a 3 game lead in the AFC West over the Chargers ...
We WON'T be sitting around in the locker room watching the Chargers @ Chefs 1pm game on TV?? ???
Glad to hear it!

(Sorry I had to get that off my chest! ;))

i wanted someone to punch Shanahan in the face when I heard he allowed them to watch that game prior to playing their own important game.

anon
10-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I think McD is a great coach so far but I would take anything Champ says about any coach with more than a few grains of salt. This guy is a dispenser for politically correct quotes -- not that there is anything wrong with that, to me, it's another sign of his professionalism. Didn't he call Slowick the best coach he's ever had?

DenverBrit
10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
I think McD is a great coach so far but I would take anything Champ says about any coach with more than a few grains of salt. This guy is a dispenser for politically correct quotes -- not that there is anything wrong with that, to me, it's another sign of his professionalism. Didn't he call Slowick the best coach he's ever had?

As a DB coach, yes.......no one is going to call Slowic 'the best' as a DC.

barryr
10-10-2009, 02:25 PM
The Bronco defense the last few years before this one never looked prepared. Receivers running all ove the field wide open and defenders constantly looking at each other not knowing their even basic responsibilities. You can't play good defense if your players don't even know what they are assigned to do and can't get on the same page if it's man or zone being played.

MechanicalBull
10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4743/5vu49zk.gif

Khan much props to the Edge gif. It works perfect with that quote.

HEAV
10-10-2009, 03:56 PM
BroncoBuff, did you read the article? It has nothing to do with motivating. It's all about coaching and having the players prepared.

Re-read it.

and then this quote also from Champ.

It's not like he said "McDaniels fires us up with great speeches so we are really motivated to play," or "McDaniels gives us an extra day off if we win, so we try a bit harder than normal." He's saying that McDaniels breaks down each game by explaining how the team can beaten and then clearly explains to each player what they specifically each need to do to win the game. It's about clearly defined roles so each player's job is simple and each player can go 100% because they are confident in what they're doing.

It's good coaching.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l130/pumpputnam/oh_no_you_didnt.gif

:thumbs:

HEAV
10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
How many times after getting destroyed did we see Shanahan up there at the podium say "I didn't have this team ready to play, and that's on me." Or some other such comment. Seems like we had at least two games a season for the past three seasons where we had to listen to that after beating embarrassed.

Once a mistake, twice a habit, thrice a trend.

HEAV
10-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Some people are just too "right" to be called "wrong". Crow meat is not the most tasty or tender of culinary delights. It is too bad that some cannot just flat out enjoy the times.

I don't know how many games the Broncos will win this year, but I am absolutely certain that there will be more than a few championships on the horizon. Shanahan is passe. McD is Golden. And good for us Broncos fans. .....

I've posted it before...

Every great franchise will have a downturn. The Chuck Noll Steelers, Tom Landry Cowboys, Shula's Dolphins, 49ers. It happens not matter how great the coach is or was. There comes a time when the voice isn't heard and the idea's aren't new.

That's when a change is needed, a different & newer set of ideas, but also having a ability to see what will work from the past and add to mix the new ideas.

It's not about players/fan hate'n on Shanny. It's about the fact that it got stale and predictable for everyone.

It's just a few have more invested in certian coaches and players than others.

I liked McDaniels, I support McDaniels, I now see he was the right choice. But if over time he shows he's not the guy then I will want him out. Why you ask? Because it's about the TEAM! It's not the Golden arm punk QB, the flashy RB, the freak at WR or anyone player.

It's about the team working together as one unit for one goal.

Some where along the way Shanny lost sight of the path and only saw the destination in the horizon. He chased after it and threw whatever players (no matter of attitude,talent and cost) into the mix trying to chase that ring. Put he had a bad mix the last few years.

Granted maybe the firing will inspire him and humble him. I most certianly will return and given the right team could be succesful.

But for Denver it was time.

rastaman
10-10-2009, 04:24 PM

So does Champs performance on the field in 09 end in going to the Pro Bowl warrant Bowlen and McD paying him $15 million dollars in 2010?

bpc
10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I hope McDaniels is one of a kind. That would be great for Denver.

Until then, 15 years of winning is greater than 4 games of winning.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 05:21 PM

And McDaniels would be the first to tell you that.

HEAV
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM

24-24 .500 the last three years isn't winning. It's spinning wheels stuck in mud.

Plus Minus Elway he was 1-4 in playoff games...not much winning there also.

TDmvp
10-10-2009, 06:23 PM
ZZZZZZZZz Zzzzzzzzz Zzzzzz

standard canned quotes ... nothing more ... big woop .

Still not impressed , if anything I'm impressed with Nolan at this point not Josh...

If not for the D we are 0 - 4 with our O playing how it has .

everything Josh has done has been very unimpressive ... But who cares if we win i guess. But he's not doing anything special ...

BroncoDoug
10-10-2009, 06:31 PM

I see McD a lot closer to a franchise coach then 90% of these other guys out there. Especially of all these retreads (Norv, Mangini, etc...) and these rookie coaches (Morris, Spagnulo)

McD just has that something different, and I'm glad he has landed here...

bpc
10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
24-24 .500 the last three years isn't winning. It's spinning wheels stuck in mud.

Plus Minus Elway he was 1-4 in playoff games...not much winning there also.

Developing a franchise QB, WR, OL, and a revolving door at HB because of injuries.

Facing a defense which needed an infusion of talent and leadership.

All the while he kept us in the race and we could have won the AFC as early as last season despite having limited resources on defense.

In terms of 1-4 in the playoffs, he lost the Super Bowl Champion Ravens fielding a backup QB, the Super bowl Champions Steelers because of Mistake Jake, and the Colts twice and to be honest, if not for some historically great Patriot teams, Peyton and the Colts probably have two or three championships now.

We can go at this all day.

Shanahan deserved another year to prove what he could do with a ascending franchise QB but because of his hard-headedness with Slowik, he didn't get it.

McDaniels was the successor and he's doing a damn good job.

It's water under the bridge but Shanahan was the 5th winningest coach over the last 10 years. He has NOTHING to be sorry for.

Finally, Denver fans are spoiled. McDaniels is helping to pad that notion as well.

atomicbloke
10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Developing a franchise QB, WR, OL, and a revolving door at HB because of injuries.

All the while he kept us in the race and we could have won the AFC as early as last season despite having limited resources on defense.

In terms of 1-4 in the playoffs, he lost the Super Bowl Champion Ravens fielding a backup QB, the Super bowl Champions Steelers because of Mistake Jake, and the Colts twice and to be honest, if not for some historically great Patriot teams, Peyton and the Colts probably have two or three championships now.

Shanahan deserved another year to prove what he could do with a ascending franchise QB but because of his hard-headedness with Slowik, he didn't get it.

It's water under the bridge but Shanahan was the 5th winningest coach over the last 10 years. He has NOTHING to be sorry for.

Finally, Denver fans are spoiled. McDaniels is helping to pad that notion as well.

Shannyhan was the greatest Broncos coach ever and he should be in the HOF. But inthe Not For Long league its all about what h ave you done lately.

I hated to see Shanny fired, but later rationalized hat it was time. He clearly lost the team in the last 2 seasons. The 41-3 Chargers loss, the 44-7 Lions loss, the 52-17 Chargers loss, being in a position of having to beat a weaak team at home to make the playoffs, twice in 3 years and failing both times, it was getting embarassing....

And He is the reason the D was poor.... I was always under the impression that he needed another year of a strong d draft to turn it around.... but seeing what Nolan could do in just a singl off-season has been an eye opener....

And Shanny had way too many FA goof ups lately.... Travis Henry, Simeone Rice, Sam Adams.....

Shanny will have a special place in the heart of Bronco fans and he is a great HOF worthy coach.... he is now taking the year off, touring the league and learning new ideas.... and whichever team he signs up with, he'll do a great job..... but his time in Denver was clearly up.... He will be the first to tell you that in retrospect....

strafen
10-10-2009, 07:13 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4543184I think what makes McDaniels unique in his own kind of way is that he preaches and pratices situational football
He has his players prepared to just about any situation imaginable in a football game
Obviously it's not possible to completely forsee any situation that may arise during a football game, but the guys are well-prepared and playing heads-up football...

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 07:31 PM

No he didn't and when he said "Slowik will return as my defensive coordinator" that is when I absolutely abandonded the Shanahan bandwagon. I loved Shanny and NEVER wanted to get rid of him but after the worst Broncos defense IN MY LIFETIME and he wanted to RETAIN THE WORST DC I HAVE EVER SEEN it was time to go.

He did NOT deserve another year with Slowik running the Defense, period.

baja
10-10-2009, 08:20 PM
So does Champs performance on the field in 09 end in going to the Pro Bowl warrant Bowlen and McD paying him $15 million dollars in 2010?

Champ will never see 15 million next year not on this team anyway.

TonyR
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Still not impressed , if anything I'm impressed with Nolan at this point not Josh...

everything Josh has done has been very unimpressive ... But who cares if we win i guess. But he's not doing anything special ...

Seriously?

baja
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Lots of long time posters noticeably absent on this thread, wonder why?

broncocalijohn
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM

I think someone is coming around........

Damn! I knew it was too good to be true. I should have expected baby steps. Baaabbbbby steeeps. Now if we can get Blue Flame to show up after some wins and take her lumps and compliment Saint McHoodie.

TonyR
10-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Lots of long time posters noticeably absent on this thread, wonder why?

It will be like a reunion tomorrow if we lose. They'll all make their triumphant returns.

errand
10-10-2009, 09:08 PM
He just didn't really coach the defense, so hearing Champ say this isn't all that surprising. Hearing that McDaniels prepares his defense better than Coyer, Bates, or Slowick is also not a surprise.

..Oh, but I recall a few clowns on here stating a few seasons ago that Mike was running the whole show, taking the playbook away from Robinson and Rhodes, and Kubiak...righting the ship then giving it back to them...then taking it away and righting the ship and then giving it back to them, then taking the playbook away and righting the ship, then giving it back to them, over, anbd over, and over, and over......

errand
10-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Yeah we all have heard he's had what, 2 "losing" seasons over the course of his reign in Denver? But, c'mon...he's had a few .500 seasons as well...which technically isn't losing...but it can hardly be called winning either.

azbroncfan
10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Has he been seen or heard from since we hit 2-0?

Most of the McD haters have dissappeared or quieted down.

jhat01
10-10-2009, 09:23 PM
ZZZZZZZZz Zzzzzzzzz Zzzzzz

standard canned quotes ... nothing more ... big woop .

Everything Josh has done has been very unimpressive? So he had nothing to do with bringing in Nolan? He doesn't have them running the ball well? Doesn't have his players ready to play? Had nothing to do with bringing in Dawkins? Come on dude..you must be smoking dope

baja
10-10-2009, 09:49 PM
..oh, but i recall a few clowns on here stating a few seasons ago that mike was running the whole show, taking the playbook away from robinson and rhodes, and kubiak...righting the ship then giving it back to them...then taking it away and righting the ship and then giving it back to them, then taking the playbook away and righting the ship, then giving it back to them, over, anbd over, and over, and over......

lol

Ironlung
10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Everything Josh has done has been very unimpressive? So he had nothing to do with bringing in Nolan? He doesn't have them running the ball well? Doesn't have his players ready to play? Had nothing to do with bringing in Dawkins? Come on dude..you must be smoking dope

As a dope smoker, I resent that :peace:......Im pretty sure hes being sarcastic. No one is that blatantly dumb.

Bronco Yoda
10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
McD has done a great job. keep it up.

TDmvp
10-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Seriously?

I just don't think we have seen anything YET that can tell us one way or the other... we are 4-0 , and it means absolutely nothing and proves nothing , last year should prove what a hot start is worth.

List incoming .

The O hasn't been special it's been ok . period. I hate some of the calls and like some , but it's very vanilla.

The play calling has been ok , playing to the teams strengths , so I would hope that it would be ok... Run a lot and hide Kyle's short comings. and Kyle has played well in that mold and been great.

The Dawkins move , as good as it was and as much as i like him it is not no GREAT move by Josh ... It was a move out of having nothing at safety and Dawkins being best FA we could get .move of necessity ... He is a stop gap much like Lynch.

I don't know who picked Nolan so I won't go there.

I will give Josh and Nolan credit that the team hasn't looked flat at all so far.
But it's way to soon for me to be sold , no matter who we hired. but i'm very happy with the start and I enjoy watching Josh act like a 12 year old at xmas anytime something good happens .

and full disclosure , yea i'm smoking dope....

Broncomutt
10-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Developing a franchise QB, WR, OL, and a revolving door at defensive coordinator because he needed a scapegoat.

Fixed it for ya.

errand
10-11-2009, 05:18 AM
I just don't think we have seen anything YET that can tell us one way or the other... we are 4-0 , and it means absolutely nothing and proves nothing , last year should prove what a hot start is worth.

It means we'll finish somewhere between 16-0 and 4-12...and while we have started hot and finished cold last season, the difference is this defense assembled seems to be able to keep us in alot of games...and ditto for this offense not turning the ball over alot...which enables our D to keep games close.

The O hasn't been special it's been ok . period. I hate some of the calls and like some , but it's very vanilla.

The play calling has been ok , playing to the teams strengths , so I would hope that it would be ok... Run a lot and hide Kyle's short comings. and Kyle has played well in that mold and been great.

So did we hide Elway's short comings when we let TD run alot? Or did we run alot because it's a proven way to wear down a defense and set up play-action passes?

And what shortcomings are you refering to? Winning 25 of 37 career starts? Throwing 5 Td's or throwing 0 INT's? and if Kyle is playing great in the framework of the offense...how can you say he has shortcomings? Video and eyewitness testimony has refuted all claims he can't do alot things people say he can't.

The Dawkins move , as good as it was and as much as i like him it is not no GREAT move by Josh ... It was a move out of having nothing at safety and Dawkins being best FA we could get .move of necessity ... He is a stop gap much like Lynch.

Dawkins would be a stop gap if we didn't have young players waiting in the wings...but because we have a few young guys like McBath, etc. on the roster, that tells me Dawkins signing was more about him being a mentor and coach on field...either way he's playing well, and that alone makes it a good move.

I don't know who picked Nolan so I won't go there.

McDaniels hired him.....

I will give Josh and Nolan credit that the team hasn't looked flat at all so far.
But it's way to soon for me to be sold , no matter who we hired. but i'm very happy with the start and I enjoy watching Josh act like a 12 year old at xmas anytime something good happens .

...and his enthusiasm is infectious....and it looks as if it's rubbing off on the team.

in bold....

lex
10-11-2009, 05:44 AM

Yeah, ok, and when Slowik was here he said nice things about Slowik.

rastaman
10-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Meh! Joshy has gotten off to a great start no doubt about it. McD's start this year kinda reminds of Jon Gruden's start at Tampa Bay. Gruden started out winning with the infrastructue of talent established by Tony Dungy and even won the SB with Tony Dungy's players. The same could happen for McDaniels as well.

The reality is young HC's such Gruden and McDaniels sometimes benefit from what their predessors left them with. Over time Gruden coaching approach turned the players off, Dungy's players started to get old, and Gruden was left with the challenge to draft Dungy replacement players and he didn't do so hot. The same scenario can happen with McDaniels, he could win a SB with Shanny's WR's and Shanny's drafted and developed OL. But sooner or later, McD will be challenged to draft and develop offensive and defensive players and to get players to buy into his system to continue to feed the hungry BEAST....which is the two headed monster known as the Denver Bronco Fans.

chex
10-11-2009, 07:10 AM
The same scenario can happen with McDaniels, he could win a SB with Shanny's WR's and Shanny's drafted and developed OL.

Cool, I hope so. Shanny was never gonna win with his WR's and the drafted and developed OL.

The funny thing is, if McDaniels does win, what does that say about Shanahan then? All McDaniels has to do is win 5 of the next 12 to have more wins with Shanahan's team with Kyle Orton at the helm instead of the greatest young QB in the history of the universe. It's quite the conundrum for you, isn't it? Do you hope they fail so you can say we never should have gotten rid of Shanahan, or do you hope they win so you can say it was with Shanahan's talent, all the while blissfully oblivious to the fact that McDaniels will have done a better job with Shanahan's talent than Shanahan, and that's with Kyle Orton at QB! ROFL! :strong:

lex
10-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Cool, I hope so. Shanny was never gonna win with his WR's and the drafted and developed OL.

The funny thing is, if McDaniels does win, what does that say about Shanahan then? All McDaniels has to do is win 5 of the next 12 to have more wins with Shanahan's team with Kyle Orton at the helm instead of the greatest young QB in the history of the universe. It's quite the conundrum for you, isn't it? Do you hope they fail so you can say we never should have gotten rid of Shanahan, or do you hope they win so you can say it was with Shanahan's talent, all the while blissfully oblivious to the fact that McDaniels will have done a better job with Shanahan's talent than Shanahan, and that's with Kyle Orton at QB! ROFL! :strong:

Hold on there, Goober. Shanahan's talent was young. Denver essentially turned over the roster in 3 years by using the draft to a large extent. As that young talent matures, it improves. This observation of yours really lacks merit for that reason. Also, its worth pointing out that the offense has not yet come around.

Just because the team has been successful after four games, that doesnt mean Shanahan suddenly became garbage. Josh has some relative strengths, as does Shanahan. Its not a mutually exclusive choice. Acknowledging McDaniels doesnt mean you have to trash Shanahan and especially in a way that resorts to absurd distortion.

chex
10-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Hold on there, Goober. Shanahan's talent was young. Denver essentially turned over the roster in 3 years by using the draft to a large extent. As that young talent matures, it improves. This observation of yours really lacks merit for that reason. Also, its worth pointing out that the offense has not yet come around.

Just because the team has been successful after four games, that doesnt mean Shanahan suddenly became garbage. Josh has some relative strengths, as does Shanahan. Its not a mutually exclusive choice. Acknowledging McDaniels doesnt mean you have to trash Shanahan and especially in a way that resorts to absurd distortion.

Where did I trash Shanahan? Someone is doing all they can to qualify McDaniels early season success. When it turned out the franchise wasn't in dire straits like you and others predicted, the tune was changed, and continues to evolve. First it was we would be lucky to win 4 games. Then it was we weren't beating anybody. Then it was we rank lower in offense than last year, now it's we're winning with Shanahan's guys... the game can go both ways my friend.

When Shanahan won the two Super Bowls, were you or anyone else qualifying it since he won with a HOF QB and HOF TE Dan Reeves drafted, or with a HOF left tackle that Wade Phillips traded for? And Tom Nalen for that matter. He was drafted by Phillips.

So, were you?

What? What's that? Can't hear you.

HAT
10-11-2009, 08:22 AM
where did i trash shanahan? Someone is doing all they can to qualify mcdaniels early season success. When it turned out the franchise wasn't in dire straits like you and others predicted, the tune was changed, and continues to evolve. First it was we would be lucky to win 4 games. Then it was we weren't beating anybody. Then it was we rank lower in offense than last year, now it's we're winning with shanahan's guys... The game can go both ways my friend.

When shanahan won the two super bowls, were you or anyone else qualifying it since he won with a hof qb and hof te dan reeves drafted, or with a hof left tackle that wade phillips traded for? And tom nalen for that matter. He was drafted by phillips.

So, were you?

rep!!!

2KBack
10-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Where did I trash Shanahan? Someone is doing all they can to qualify McDaniels early season success. When it turned out the franchise wasn't in dire straits like you and others predicted, the tune was changed, and continues to evolve. First it was we would be lucky to win 4 games. Then it was we weren't beating anybody. Then it was we rank lower in offense than last year, now it's we're winning with Shanahan's guys... the game can go both ways my friend.

When Shanahan won the two Super Bowls, were you or anyone else qualifying it since he won with a HOF QB and HOF TE Dan Reeves drafted, or with a HOF left tackle that Wade Phillips traded for? And Tom Nalen for that matter. He was drafted by Phillips.

So, were you?

Rod Smith was a Wade Phillips Aquisition as well actually.

lex
10-11-2009, 09:28 AM

So, were you?

First of all, clown. I never made any predictions. I said it was going to get ugly if it doesnt go well and that the pressure was on. Secondly, you did trash Shanahan. Stop trying to tapdance around the fact that you did.

Karenin
10-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Meh! Joshy has gotten off to a great start no doubt about it. McD's start this year kinda reminds of Jon Gruden's start at Tampa Bay. Gruden started out winning with the infrastructue of talent established by Tony Dungy and even won the SB with Tony Dungy's players. The same could happen for McDaniels as well.

The reality is young HC's such Gruden and McDaniels sometimes benefit from what their predessors left them with. Over time Gruden coaching approach turned the players off, Dungy's players started to get old, and Gruden was left with the challenge to draft Dungy replacement players and he didn't do so hot. The same scenario can happen with McDaniels, he could win a SB with Shanny's WR's and Shanny's drafted and developed OL. But sooner or later, McD will be challenged to draft and develop offensive and defensive players and to get players to buy into his system to continue to feed the hungry BEAST....which is the two headed monster known as the Denver Bronco Fans.

You're still around?!?! Even after you embarrassed yourself over and over again? Go away you pathetic old man, nobody wants you here.

TonyR
10-11-2009, 09:45 AM
First of all, clown. I never made any predictions.

That's some good spin you're selling but I don't think anyone here is buying. I'm certainly not. You may not have explicitly made any "predictions" but you were pretty clear on your opinion of the moves the team made and the direction the organization was going.

chex
10-11-2009, 10:42 AM
First of all, clown. I never made any predictions. I said it was going to get ugly if it doesnt go well and that the pressure was on. Secondly, you did trash Shanahan. Stop trying to tapdance around the fact that you did.

Then you better tell TJ someone has been hacking into your account posting how you were expecting 10 wins this year, and yeah, expecting, predicting, same ****. I'm sure if I had the time to wade through the muck that are your posts on this, I'm sure i could shovel up something more.

So, were you?

Maybe you missed this part of the post, since you never answered it, so I'll remind you about. Still waiting for an answer.

lex
10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
That's some good spin you're selling but I don't think anyone here is buying. I'm certainly not. You may not have explicitly made any "predictions" but you were pretty clear on your opinion of the moves the team made and the direction the organization was going.

Buy what? Show me where I made a prediction. Go ahead. Otherwise, STFU!

lex
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Then you better tell TJ someone has been hacking into your account posting how you were expecting 10 wins this year, and yeah, expecting, predicting, same ****. I'm sure if I had the time to wade through the muck that are your posts on this, I'm sure i could shovel up something more.

Maybe you missed this part of the post, since you never answered it, so I'll remind you about. Still waiting for an answer.

How was 10 wins a prediction? And if 10 wins was a prediction, then what BologneR said really makes no sense. You guys really need to get your **** together and get on the same page.

DenverBrit
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Good luck! ;D

lex
10-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Good luck! ;D

Its a distortion and it only proves my point. Denver won a SB in 1998 when, aside from Elway, no player on the offense was taken before the 6th round. And, yet, it was turned into one of the best offenses in the history of the league. He has no traction. He has no point. It was an obviously stupid question, that, once again, trashes Shanahan to make some case for McDaniels.

And going back to what I said, acknowledging McDaniels doesnt require trashing Shanahan and yet in the very same post he tries denying doing this, thats precisely what he does.

chex
10-11-2009, 10:58 AM
How was 10 wins a prediction? And if 10 wins was a prediction, then what BologneR said really makes no sense. You guys really need to get your **** together and get on the same page.

You never said repeatedly you expected 10 wins from this team?

lex
10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
You never said repeatedly you expected 10 wins from this team?

I said I expect to win 10 games, but I also explicitly said that wasnt a prediction.

But, again, if you believe that is a prediction, how do you reconcile that with the perception that I was negative? You and BologneR really need to get on the same page. Youre contradicting each other.

chex
10-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Its a distortion and it only proves my point. Denver won a SB in 1998 when, aside from Elway, no player on the offense was taken before the 6th round. And, yet, it was turned into one of the best offenses in the history of the league. He has no traction. He has no point. It was an obviously stupid question, that, once again, trashes Shanahan to make some case for McDaniels.

And going back to what I said, acknowledging McDaniels doesnt require trashing Shanahan and yet in the very same post he tries denying doing this, thats precisely what he does.

How the **** does that answer my question? I asked you if you qualify Shanahan winning Super Bowls with HOF talent already in place for him, same as being done for McDaniels winning games now. And you embarrass yourself with an answer like this? ROFL!

Then again, I guess it really does answer my question. :approve:

chex
10-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I said I expect to win 10 games, but I also explicitly said that wasnt a prediction.

:bs:

TDmvp
god this thread is turning into a

http://www.garmentdistrict.com/store/popculture/southpark/cripple_sm.jpg

lex
How the **** does that answer my question? I asked you if you qualify Shanahan winning Super Bowls with HOF talent already in place for him, same as being done for McDaniels winning games now. And you embarrass yourself with an answer like this? ROFL!

Then again, I guess it really does answer my question. :approve:

Youre all over the place dude. Ive addressed all your bull****. Get your thit together.

lex
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
god this thread is turning into a

http://www.garmentdistrict.com/store/popculture/southpark/cripple_sm.jpg

Wow. And to think its an every day fight for you.

baja
10-11-2009, 11:15 AM

But, again, if you believe that is a prediction, how do you reconcile that with the perception that I was negative? You and BologneR really need to get on the same page. Youre contradicting each other.

ex⋅pect  [ik-spekt] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
1. to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of: I expect to read it. I expect him later. She expects that they will come.
2. to look for with reason or justification: We expect obedience.
3. Informal. to suppose or surmise; guess: I expect that you are tired from the trip.
4. to anticipate the birth of (one's child): Paul and Sylvia expect their second very soon.
—Idiom

Snonyms:
1. Expect, anticipate, hope, await all imply looking to some future event. Expect implies confidently believing, usually for good reasons, that an event will occur: to expect a visit from a friend. Anticipate is to look forward to an event and even to picture it: Do you anticipate trouble? Hope implies a wish that an event may take place and an expectation that it will: to hope for the best. Await (wait for) implies being alert and ready, whether for good or evil: to await news after a cyclone.

chex
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Youre all over the place dude. Ive addressed all your bull****. Get your thit together.

:rofl:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/5838804/2/istockphoto_5838804-shooting-fish-in-a-barrel.jpg

ScottXray
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Lex repeatedly said he Expected 10 wins, and I understood his meaning.

He expected 10 wins with a Shanahan team, and he indirectly meant he thought that McD could not achieve that. It was a dig (and you know it Lex).

Now, there is no proof yet that we will get that far this year, but it is quite possible. Especially if we win this, or next, week , and go into the bye at 5-1 or better.

If we win the division this year (probable at 10-6 or better) it would show that McD is a legitimate coach that would have turned around the team (and yes with mostly Shanahan Offensive players) in ONE year. Something that Shanahan didn't do was turn around the team in his first year, although he had as much or more defensive talent than we do now, and he had a franchise QB , and had drafted TD his first year.

It would seem to indicate that we have a VERY good young coach.

If that happens ALL of the posters here should and probably will get on board.

So lets give em a chance to get on the bandwagon in their own time. The crow they will have to eat is of their own making, and most will own up to it when they feel ready.

DenverBrit
10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
ex⋅pect  [ik-spekt] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)
1. to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of: I expect to read it. I expect him later. She expects that they will come.
2. to look for with reason or justification: We expect obedience.
3. Informal. to suppose or surmise; guess: I expect that you are tired from the trip.
4. to anticipate the birth of (one's child): Paul and Sylvia expect their second very soon.
—Idiom

Snonyms:
1. Expect, anticipate, hope, await all imply looking to some future event. Expect implies confidently believing, usually for good reasons, that an event will occur: to expect a visit from a friend. Anticipate is to look forward to an event and even to picture it: Do you anticipate trouble? Hope implies a wish that an event may take place and an expectation that it will: to hope for the best. Await (wait for) implies being alert and ready, whether for good or evil: to await news after a cyclone.

You beat me to it. ;D

Let me add:

Main Entry: expect
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: believe strongly; anticipate
Synonyms:
apprehend, assume, await, bargain for, bargain on, be afraid, calculate, conjecture, contemplate, count on, divine, envisage, feel, figure, forecast, foreknow, foresee, gather, hope, hope for, imagine, in the cards, look, look ahead to, look for, look forward to, predict, presume, presuppose, reckon, see coming, sense, suppose, surmise, suspect, take, think, trust, understand, wait for, watch for

:welcome:

lex
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Lex repeatedly said he Expected 10 wins, and I understood his meaning.

He expected 10 wins with a Shanahan team, and he indirectly meant he thought that McD could not achieve that. It was a dig (and you know it Lex).

Now, there is no proof yet that we will get that far this year, but it is quite possible. Especially if we win this, or next, week , and go into the bye at 5-1 or better.

If we win the division this year (probable at 10-6 or better) it would show that McD is a legitimate coach that would have turned around the team (and yes with mostly Shanahan Offensive players) in ONE year. Something that Shanahan didn't do was turn around the team in his first year, although he had as much or more defensive talent than we do now, and he had a franchise QB , and had drafted TD his first year.

It would seem to indicate that we have a VERY good young coach.

If that happens ALL of the posters here should and probably will get on board.

So lets give em a chance to get on the bandwagon in their own time. The crow they will have to eat is of their own making, and most will own up to it when they feel ready.

I said I expected the team to win 10 games as in Im not giving a pass for self created problems. Theyve had a good start but there are still some potential issues hanging out there. So far, so good, though.

broncocalijohn
10-12-2009, 10:35 AM

God, just read this for the first time! This is one of the easist posters to quote to show some that can never get on the right side. He actually is contemplating that if McDaniels proves him wrong and gets to a Super Bowl, it might be because of Mike's players! We arent going to any SB based on our offense right now (even though the Pats game proved Orton can drive us to a victory), but on this new defense which has nothing on it that says "Shanahan(Slowick)". Let Mike go and look at what McDaniels and his coaching staff has done. The first 4 games was all about defense (Ok, Radiers game was both) and why we are undefeated. Some of you guys have gone away for good in hiding, some have come around a few weeks ago and ones like you Rastaman cant see what is in front of your face. There is no way in hell we would be doing this with Mike at the helm. This is being typed by one who believed in Mike even after he blamed the defensive coaches for everything.