PDA

View Full Version : Qbotf

ward63
10-10-2009, 09:54 AM
For our quarterback of the future....I hear "I want McCoy, Bradford..." so on but I hope we wait two years (unless he comes out early) and take Ryan Mallett. I'm a Michigan fan and I have been following him since his freshmen year. He played well when called upon at UM and is playing well at Arkansas. The kid also has a cannon and makes good decisions. Could be my homeristic view, but just my opinion.

Also, I know we are 4-0 but we know we could upgrade at quarterback and could do what we did with Cutler/Plummer, except I don't think Orton would want to leave and Mallett is not a whiny B!*ch

Harvitz81
10-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Why not just wait 2 years and see what Brandstater has to offer? I think another year in the system on our bench and he could be the starter in 2 years.

The Joker
10-10-2009, 09:59 AM
If some of the juniors declare next year then we'll have a real shot at picking up a quality QB in the draft next year, if we feel we need one that is.

strafen
10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Brandstater showed some encouriging signs. One more year in the system could prepare him to compete for the starting job at QB

As far as getting a QB next year...I like Zac Robinson. 6-3 218lbs played for Chattfield HS in Colorado.
He's a senior for Oklahoma State. Has great mobility for a pocket type passer and a strong arm
He'll be playing against Texas A&M today. Actually the game is on right now on Fox Sport RM
He'll be a great value in the draft, as he would most likely be behing Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford in next year's draft....

Boss Man
10-10-2009, 10:30 AM
If u want mallet u better hope we have a horrible year next year. Because he's a top 5 pick...

HEAV
10-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Stop looking towards the future and just cheer the now. Can look at the future after the season. Kyle is our quarterback today and will be (minus injury) until the final second of the 09-10 season.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Why not just wait 2 years and see what Brandstater has to offer? I think another year in the system on our bench and he could be the starter in 2 years.

This. Next year Brandstater will be the number 2 and Simms will be cut. After two years in when we've probably got all we can out of Orton, if Brandstater isn't progressing we can turn the page. I would like to see us draft another project next year in the later rounds. Maybe a Rusty Smith or even a Dan LeFevour.

The Joker
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
This. Next year Brandstater will be the number 2 and Simms will be cut. After two years in when we've probably got all we can out of Orton, if Brandstater isn't progressing we can turn the page. I would like to see us draft another project next year in the later rounds. Maybe a Rusty Smith or even a Dan LeFevour.

It's hard to call at this point.

We'll know by the end of the year what we've got in Orton, if it's a long term answer then great. Most likely, he's a good transitional guy and that's it.

With Brandstater, if he's really lighting it up enough in practice for McD to be confident that he's the guy then fair enough.

But if Orton plays poorly and we still have question marks over Brandstater, then I think it's really hard to pass on a blue chip prospect in the draft next year and just hope Tom B turns into a hero at some point.

Kaylore
10-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I think Orton gets at least two years to learn this offense. I also want to see how he does with more beef around him on the offensive line next year. One more offseason and a few more new pieces and familiarity in the system and by the end of '10 or into 11 we'll know. He's 4-0 and he's managed the game well. I want to see how he progresses.

Brandstater had about the same level of mechanics in camp as Simms. The most important thing is how accurate he is. Accuracy is something you can work on, but if you have it it's invaluable. He has "it". The game isn't too big for him, his demeanor is perfect and he can make all the throws. The next step is processing each gameplan and playing against game-day defenses. He's practicing against a pretty good one every week, so I have confidence that he'll improve there.

Orton is not an incredibly accurate guy for us yet. I suspect it's partly the glove and partly needing to iron out his timing. The myths about his weak arm should be put to bed after throws like that dart to Royal or the sideline throw to Scheffler last game. Those were accurate throws too. His downfield throws are still off. I like that he's erring on the side of high and away to prevent interceptions, but I think he's being overly cautious. He needs more time. If he booms than we aren't even having the discussion, but it will take a couple of years (barring a complete implosion) to give him a fair shot.

At 4-0 I'm not worried about it. He's getting better every game and so are the receivers.

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
**** all that noise. we have our QBOTF now and his name is Kyle Orton.

UberBroncoMan
10-10-2009, 12:14 PM
My biggest issue with Brandstater is his age.

He's about to turn 25 (Cutler is 26 for this season)...

Odds are strong that if Orton keeps things going this year he WILL be resigned. I just don't see McDaniels tossing Orton out and switching to Brandstater after 1 year.

Heck Orton is not even two years older than Brandstater.

It's an extremely difficult situation to predict.

Brandstater does have a stronger arm than Orton though and Brandtater was also an All-Academic at Fresno which means he more than likely has the intelligence to handle what McDaniels throws at him (which is probably why he was drafted).

The way I see it.

Brandstater is either our starting QB NEXT YEAR or he's nothing more than a career backup for us because that means we signed Orton long term, and again the age gap isn't that far off between the two of them.

Drek
10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Kyle Orton is 26 and he wins games at about a 2 out of 3 clip. He's gotten better week after week this year.

Think maybe we might already have our QBotF, and he just so happens to be our QB right now?

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Jake Locker is Jay Cutler without all the fagginess.

USMCBladerunner
10-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Pike in the second round.

ward63
10-10-2009, 12:40 PM
It's just another topic to talk about. I know that we are 4-0 and I even said that, but I think Mallett is the real deal. He's a RS Sophomore b/c of transferring out of UM and it may be another 2 years til he comes out, but i doubt it. I just want a qb that will utilize these weapons better and I've been on the Orton wagon from day one...

ward63
10-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Pike in the second round.

Him and Locker are great! This years QB class is pretty good no matter what...

WABronco
10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Locker is going to be a top 10 pick, barring a meltdown and provided he leaves early. 4.4-4.5 forty, cannon arm, workout numbers out the azzzz...

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
if we do end up drafting a QB in the next couple years, the guy i think we should be on the lookout for is Clausen. Not saying I want him here, or that i think we should get him, just saying i think he is the most likely to end up here.

but i am of the belief we have our QBOTF and his name is Kyle Orton.

Man-Goblin
10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Jake Locker is Jay Cutler without all the fagginess.

Locker is then missing the quality that is what makes Cutler Cutler.

Kid A
10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Next year is a really compelling QB class. I think there could be several future stars in the group. I would be a little surprise, though, if Denver drafts one of them, barring someone McD really likes sliding to us.

strafen
10-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Kyle Orton is 26 and he wins games at about a 2 out of 3 clip. He's gotten better week after week this year.

Think maybe we might already have our QBotF, and he just so happens to be our QB right now?

Being 4-0 is probably the thing that has blinded people the most about Orton
I just don't see Orton as being a big time QB that can you can win a SB with...
As a fan, I'd love to be wrong, but the thought of signing him to be our QB of the future makes me sick...
Sure he wins games, or does he?
I think he's been more than lucky than he's been good.
Having played his career with stingy defenses on his side, has helped his stats on paper look a lot better than the way the stats come about on the field...

Popps
10-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Let's see what Orton can do, and if not... I agree on Brandstater. He was very impressive in the short amount of time we saw him.

baja
10-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I think Orton gets at least two years to learn this offense. I also want to see how he does with more beef around him on the offensive line next year. One more offseason and a few more new pieces and familiarity in the system and by the end of '10 or into 11 we'll know. He's 4-0 and he's managed the game well. <b>I want to see how he progresses.</b>

Brandstater had about the same level of mechanics in camp as Simms. The most important thing is how accurate he is. Accuracy is something you can work on, but if you have it it's invaluable. He has "it". The game isn't too big for him, his demeanor is perfect and he can make all the throws. The next step is processing each gameplan and playing against game-day defenses. He's practicing against a pretty good one every week, so I have confidence that he'll improve there.

Orton is not an incredibly accurate guy for us yet. I suspect it's partly the glove and partly needing to iron out his timing. The myths about his weak arm should be put to bed after throws like that dart to Royal or the sideline throw to Scheffler last game. Those were accurate throws too. His downfield throws are still off. I like that he's erring on the side of high and away to prevent interceptions, but I think he's being overly cautious. He needs more time. If he booms than we aren't even having the discussion, but it will take a couple of years (barring a complete implosion) to give him a fair shot.

At 4-0 I'm not worried about it. He's getting better every game and so are the receivers.

That's what I do not understand about those on this board that call Orton out and label him a career C+

I don't know what more he could do to earn a "wait and see' vote from Bronco fans.

Far as I can see his biggest crime is that he isn't Jay Cutler.

lostknight
10-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I still have yet to see anything that tells me that Orton is the QB of the future. His inability to hit wide open targets down the field is a major issue. It might be there, and Josh might be keeping him from making the throw, but sooner or later, he will have to make the big plays.

It's a sign of how good Cutler was that instead of Orton being compared to Elway, he is being compared to Cutler. Until we have a QB that can make teams look stupid down the field, we are going to have more and more teams cheat and play cover-0 against us.

Drek
10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Being 4-0 is probably the thing that has blinded people the most about Orton
I just don't see Orton as being a big time QB that can you can win a SB with...
As a fan, I'd love to be wrong, but the thought of signing him to be our QB of the future makes me sick...
Sure he wins games, or does he?
I think he's been more than lucky than he's been good.
Having played his career with stingy defenses on his side, has helped his stats on paper look a lot better than the way the stats come about on the field...

I'm not blind, but you're obviously suffering from a pretty horrible case of myopia.

Kyle Orton has gotten better in this offense every week.

Matt Cassel spent three years learning it and took the helm of the most explosive offensive team ever and still didn't get into a groove until week 9. Orton hasn't even had a full off-season yet.

Last year he and Forte carried the Bears to a 9-7 record despite their defense ranking 23rd in the NFL, real stingy unit there huh?

If you want to keep acting like you know what the **** you're talking about at least bring some sort of fact other than your own half-assed opinion.

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Brandstater showed some encouriging signs. One more year in the system could prepare him to compete for the starting job at QB

As far as getting a QB next year...I like Zac Robinson. 6-3 218lbs played for Chattfield HS in Colorado.
He's a senior for Oklahoma State. Has great mobility for a pocket type passer and a strong arm
He'll be playing against Texas A&M today. Actually the game is on right now on Fox Sport RM
He'll be a great value in the draft, as he would most likely be behing Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford in next year's draft....

Robinson has accurate issues though. He's a college QB but would be a better fit as a slot WR in the NFL IMO. He's got good open field moves, if he can catch the ball he would be better suited to run routes instead of throw them.

RunSilentRunDeep
10-10-2009, 02:14 PM
If you like a QB in the draft and he's available when you're on the clock, you take him. You can't plan on Brandstater being the guy based on how he looks in preseason and even practice. Did we not learn this the hard way with Jeff Lewis?

I'm pleased with the way Orton is playing and want to see what he's got in the second half of the season with no glove and everyone having more command of the offense.

ward63
10-10-2009, 02:25 PM
If you like a QB in the draft and he's available when you're on the clock, you take him. You can't plan on Brandstater being the guy based on how he looks in preseason and even practice. Did we not learn this the hard way with Jeff Lewis?

I'm pleased with the way Orton is playing and want to see what he's got in the second half of the season with no glove and everyone having more command of the offense.

Couldn't agree more. It's kind of like the pick of Knowshon. Yeah, we had running backs already, but if you like the guy...take him!

Jeff Lewis...what was he a 5 year career back up? I think Brandstater will be a career back up, but a longer career.

BroncoDoug
10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
**** all that noise. we have our QBOTF now and his name is Kyle Orton.

ew

gunns
10-10-2009, 03:38 PM
That's what I do not understand about those on this board that call Orton out and label him a career C+

I don't know what more he could do to earn a "wait and see' vote from Bronco fans.

Far as I can see his biggest crime is that he isn't Jay Cutler.

I don't see it that way. I hadn't developed faith in Jay when he went onto the field. To me, his biggest crime is he's a Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Yes, with a damn good defense those guys were able to maintain games, much like Orton, and win SBs. But that doesn't make me want him, at this point, as our QBftf. My blood pressure can't handle it. I agree he's improved and if that improvement continues I possibly could see him as our QBftf. His lack of INT's is impressive. But we've won two games that our receivers made amazing catches from bad throws. I don't want the talent of our receivers to save him, I want them to accentuate one another.

orangeatheist
10-10-2009, 04:46 PM
...Brandtater...

Maybe I read posts too closely; maybe it's funny because the post shows that it was edited after it was sent up and this still remained; but I found this typo amusing. It also sounds rather appetizing! :thumbsup:

http://www.channel4.com/life/media/0-9/4realvolvo/images/may/eat/mood_food/large_landing_page%20graphic%20copy1.jpg

UberBroncoMan
10-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe I read posts too closely; maybe it's funny because the post shows that it was edited after it was sent up and this still remained; but I found this typo amusing. It also sounds rather appetizing! :thumbsup:

http://www.channel4.com/life/media/0-9/4realvolvo/images/may/eat/mood_food/large_landing_page%20graphic%20copy1.jpg

/shrug Brandtater Brandstarter Brandstater

orangeatheist
10-10-2009, 06:30 PM
/shrug Brandtater Brandstarter Brandstater

Not an insult, my good man! Just made me chuckle....so "thank you, sir!" :welcome:

atomicbloke
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
One fall out from the Cutler episode is that future Bronco QBs will no longer be living under the shadow of John Elway. Brian Griese and Jake Plummer had to constantly fight the ghost of # 7.

But future Bronco QBs will be living under the shadow of Jay Cutler.

And that is waaay easier!

SportinOne
10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Ryan Mallet is not going to be a top 5 pick, nor should we pick him.

strafen
10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Robinson has accurate issues though. He's a college QB but would be a better fit as a slot WR in the NFL IMO. He's got good open field moves, if he can catch the ball he would be better suited to run routes instead of throw them.I've watched most of the game today.
A few things I've noticed...
He's playing with a bunch of inexperienced receivers as noted by the color analysts
His offensive line leaves a lot to be desired. He rarely had any time to throw the ball, and rushed a lot of his passes
Stil,l he finished with 279 yards passing, 2 TD's and a rushing TD to beat the Aggies today to bring his team record to 4-1 for the season...

I just don't see the logic of somebody having played QB in college to make it in the NFL as a wide receiver

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I've watched most of the game today.
A few things I've noticed...
He's playing with a bunch of inexperienced receivers as noted by the color analysts
His offensive line leaves a lot to be desired. He rarely had any time to throw the ball, and rushed a lot of his passes
Stil,l he finished with 279 yards passing, 2 TD's and a rushing TD to beat the Aggies today to bring his team record to 4-1 for the season...

I just don't see the logic of somebody having played QB in college to make it in the NFL as a wide receiver

I didnt say he would just that he could. He has the body type of an NFL receiver, the speed and as a QB knows the routes.

I do not think he will be a good NFL QB though. You watched today's game, Ive watched most of OSU's games the last 4 seasons and Robinson is a poor man's Tebow who ALSO is not an NFL QB.

He's a great college QB but he doesn't have the accuracy or mechanics to be an NFL QB. While he doesnt have an experienced WR corp right now, even with Dez Bryant he consistenly under/overthrows him and has many passes behind Bryant. Its why Bryant is so awesome because he can adjust in mid route to a bad pass.

BABronco
10-10-2009, 07:40 PM
One fall out from the Cutler episode is that future Bronco QBs will no longer be living under the shadow of John Elway. Brian Griese and Jake Plummer had to constantly fight the ghost of # 7.

But future Bronco QBs will be living under the shadow of Jay Cutler.

And that is waaay easier!

true that.

Boobs McGee
10-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I didnt say he would just that he could. He has the body type of an NFL receiver, the speed and as a QB knows the routes.

I do not think he will be a good NFL QB though. You watched today's game, Ive watched most of OSU's games the last 4 seasons and Robinson is a poor man's Tebow who ALSO is not an NFL QB.

He's a great college QB but he doesn't have the accuracy or mechanics to be an NFL QB. While he doesnt have an experienced WR corp right now, even with Dez Bryant he consistenly under/overthrows him and has many passes behind Bryant. Its why Bryant is so awesome because he can adjust in mid route to a bad pass.

p.s. way to almost choke away that game today rock...your D looks like **** and you were about 10 feet of overthrown ball away from a major upset. You better hope cody hawkins is playin next week hahaha

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 08:11 PM
p.s. way to almost choke away that game today rock...your D looks like **** and you were about 10 feet of overthrown ball away from a major upset. You better hope cody hawkins is playin next week hahaha

What do you mean? I dont play for the Jayhawks, I didn't almost choke anything away.

Whatever though, a win is a win. Defense needs to improve but CU cant hold KU to under 30 points anyway.

Pony Boy
10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Ryan Mallet is not going to be a top 5 pick, nor should we pick him.

Ryan Mallet is a sophomore 6'7", smart, playing in a (Bobby Petrino) pro style offense and has a howitzer for an arm. Your right not a top 5 pick but barring injury should be a top 3 pick in a couple of years.

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Ryan Mallet is a sophomore 6'7", smart, playing in a (Bobby Petrino) pro style offense and has a howitzer for an arm. Your right not a top 5 pick but barring injury should be a top 3 pick in a couple of years.

as much as i love the big time arm, it isn't necessary to win in this era of the NFL.
the days of the gunslinger beating a team with his arm alone are done. look at the best QBs in the league currently. Peyton, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Warner, Ryan, Rodgers, all of them are very intelligent QBs, and not one of them has an Elwayesque arm.

we Broncos fans have been spoiled by greatness, and have it set in our minds that the only type of QB that has the right to suit up in Denver needs to have an arm capable of rifling a ball through a brick wall, and that isn't the case, especially in this offense we are now running. we need a guy who has the intelligence to run this offense and the intelligence to make good reads at the line.

we need to stop basing our QB evaluations on the arm, and look at the mental capabilities of these potential QBOTF, and if we see a QB with the mental capability that is great, and if he has the big time arm, that is a bonus.

Pony Boy
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Agreed .... just saying it looks like this kid has it all and the big arm is the bonus .... Having Elway and Cutler here and watching Favre last Monday night it's obvious what a big arm can do in the red zone .... there are slit second plays that can be made that other QB's just can't make.