PDA

View Full Version : Moreno appears headed for first start

baja
10-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Broncos' Moreno appears headed for first start
(AP) 7 hours ago
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Denver running back Correll Buckhalter missed a third consecutive practice Friday because of an ankle injury.
It appears rookie Knowshon Moreno will start in his place Sunday when the Broncos host the New England Patriots.
Buckhalter, who sprained his left ankle last Sunday, leads the NFL with 7.2 yards per carry and leads the team with 267 yards rushing. But Moreno, who has shaken off a knee sprain that sidelined him for the final three weeks of the preseason, also has become a force in Denver's fourth-ranked rushing attack.
While Buckhalter was listed as out on the team's injury report, Coach Josh McDaniels declined to discuss his status or who would start in his place. He did say Moreno, the team's top draft pick, was up to speed on every aspect of the playbook and prepared for whatever role he may play.
"There's nothing he can't do," McDaniels said. "He's totally ready to go with the whole game plan, and he's fine, mentally and physically."
Moreno, the first running back drafted when the Broncos selected him 12th overall out of Georgia, has rushed 60 times for 249 yards, both tops among rookies. He has produced a team-high 17 first downs: 14 on rushes and three as a receiver.
He has shown a knack for running with power between the tackles and also has held up well providing pass protection.
"Those are tough yards that you've got to get," Moreno said. "I think we do a good job as a backfield of getting those hard yards that we need."
Moreno's pass protection ability also has played a pivotal role. He helped stave off the rush with a key block when Kyle Orton threw the winning 51-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Marshall in last week's 17-10 victory over Dallas.
"He's been working hard and hasn't been making a lot of mistakes in the game," Orton said. "He's running the ball hard and protecting well. He can certainly do everything you ask a back to do. We don't have to take him off the field in any situation. He's had a nice start and he's got a ways to go."
Moreno said getting the chance to start "would mean a lot," but would not change the way he prepares for a game.
"It's no different than being out there when I wasn't starting. I'm just trying to get the job done," he said.
Lamont Jordan and Peyton Hillis also could see additional snaps at running back should Buckhalter miss the game.
"Opportunities are what I can make of them, so it just depends on what gets thrown my way, and I'll try to take full advantage of it," Hillis said. "It's definitely a challenge but I think we've got the guys back there to do it. We're not looking for a setback. We're just looking to move ahead."

baja
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Denver Broncos running back Correll Buckhalter was ruled out by the team on their injury report today for Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

Buckhalter incurred an ankle injury last week against the Dallas Cowboys.

So, first-round draft pick Knowshon Moreno gets the start with Lamont Jordan working in behind him.

Moreno has rushed for 249 yards this season.

The Patriots won't have their starting running back, Fred Taylor, due to an ankle injury that required surgery and could sideline him for a long time

azbroncfan
10-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Looks like we get the see dancing Lamont take his two step shuffle before the hole a few times this weekend.

strafen
10-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Hillis should see some action as well. I hope some significant action in both running and catching the ball...

BroncoMan4ever
10-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Hillis should see some action as well. I hope some significant action in both running and catching the ball...

and i hope he takes advantage and doesn't **** up. i like the guy a lot and really am beginning to believe he may be gone next season

KipCorrington25
10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Hillis needs to stay off the "Block in the back, number 22, punt team, 5 yard penalty, 1st down" list this week first.

strafen
10-09-2009, 11:52 PM
and i hope he takes advantage and doesn't **** up. i like the guy a lot and really am beginning to believe he may be gone next seasonThat's kind of unfair, and to be honest with you, I think he hasn't been given a fair chance to show what he can do...
We know what he can do, McDaniels had his man in C-Buck which is doing a great job for us, but Hillis has too much talent to be misused at this point

I think the way he's being utilized plays against his advantage.
I can remember a few times this season where Hillis could've carried the ball in situations when LaBum Jordan got the call.
Seriously, Jordan shouldn't be getting any touches ahead of Peyton
Hillis is also not a KO or Punt returner. He can contribute to this team on the field carrying and catching the ball

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
That's kind of unfair, and to be honest with you, I think he hasn't been given a fair chance to show what he can do...
We know what he can do, McDaniels had his man in C-Buck which is doing a great job for us, but Hillis has too much talent to be misused at this point

I can remember a few times this season where Hillis could've carried the ball in situations when LaBum Jordan got the call.
Hillis is also not a KO or Punt returner. He can contribute to this team on the field carrying and catching the ball

Hillis needs to earn the right to be on the field. so far he hasn't shown he deserves to be on the field. last year he was awesome for us. Last year Marshall was awesome for us, but that does not guarantee you a place on the field until you earn it this year. Marshall for a few games was put on the sidelines and played a lot less than a pro bowl receiver does, because he had not earned the right to be on the field, and that is now beginning to change and he is getting his reps back.

Hillis is in the same boat, granted it isn't because of money, ego or stupidity, but because of mental mistakes he seems to make every time he is on the field. i love the guy and would love to see him on the field, but I understand the reasoning why he isn't on the field, and as soon as he can get his mind right and stop with the little mistakes he will earn his way back out of McD's doghouse.

also on a side note, Hillis was a damn fine return man in college, so he does have that ability.

Jordan has a decade of experience and has never lost a fumble. not 1 in a decade. when we are chewing clock at the end of the game, i want the surest hands on the team holding the ball and that man is Jordan.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-10-2009, 12:21 AM
That's kind of unfair, and to be honest with you, I think he hasn't been given a fair chance to show what he can do...

WHat has Jordan done this year that's upset you? He's done a good job running out the clock and even had a great cutback run last week. He got stuffed on that 4th and 1 at the goal, but so did Hillis the play before. Sure, Hillis is a talent and I'd like to see him take advantage of that, but he really hasn't so far in his limited playing time. Multiple penalties, a fumble on the kick off, at least one dropped pass that i can recall. That said, I still believe he's a weapon, but he needs to make some plays when the opportunity is given. Its not like the guys ahead of him are doing poorly.

dextermilo
10-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Week 1: Hillis dropped an easy catch on third down.

Week 2: fumble.

Weeks 3-4: Stupid penalties.

Hopefully he comes ready to play. Loved him last year.

strafen
10-10-2009, 01:15 AM
WHat has Jordan done this year that's upset you? He's done a good job running out the clock and even had a great cutback run last week. He got stuffed on that 4th and 1 at the goal, but so did Hillis the play before. Sure, Hillis is a talent and I'd like to see him take advantage of that, but he really hasn't so far in his limited playing time. Multiple penalties, a fumble on the kick off, at least one dropped pass that i can recall. That said, I still believe he's a weapon, but he needs to make some plays when the opportunity is given. Its not like the guys ahead of him are doing poorly.

I didn't say I was upset at Jordan. I'm saying Hillis is a whole lot better and more versitile than Jordan is any day of the week. And to be honest, Jordan has done nothing to impress me. Just my opinion...

On a side note, I'm a little disturbed by how all of the sudden Hillis has to earn his time on the field. Are you kiddin' me?

I think it goes back to what I've said...
Hillis has not been used in the same way he was used last year. I understand it's a different system and all, but don't tell me you guys don't miss the Hillis we saw last year...
Unbelievable!

BroncoMan4ever
10-10-2009, 01:42 AM
I didn't say I was upset at Jordan. I'm saying Hillis is a whole lot better and more versitile than Jordan is any day of the week. And to be honest, Jordan has done nothing to impress me. Just my opinion...

On a side note, I'm a little disturbed by how all of the sudden Hillis has to earn his time on the field. Are you kiddin' me?

I think it goes back to what I've said...
Hillis has not been used in the same way he was used last year. I understand it's a different system and all, but don't tell me you guys don't miss the Hillis we saw last year...
Unbelievable!

every player needs to earn their time on the field. Brandon Marshall a pro bowl receiver last season had to earn his way back onto the field, with that in mind do you really think McDaniels is just going to give Hillis a job just because he was awesome last year for a 3 game stretch?

the best play, and as much as i hate to say it, Hillis hasn't been playing that well. dropped passes week 1, fumble week 2, stupid penalties weeks 3 and 4. it isn't like McDaniels hasn't given the guy chances. Hillis just has not taken advantage of those opportunities.

BMarsh615
10-10-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't think Hillis fits what McDaniels likes to do. McDaniels doesn't see him as a RB, and McDaniels only uses FB's as blockers which is not Hillis' strong suit.

azbroncfan
10-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Jordan has a decade of experience and has never lost a fumble. not 1 in a decade. when we are chewing clock at the end of the game, i want the surest hands on the team holding the ball and that man is Jordan.

I thought I remember him fumbling the ball and giving Denver the win a couple years ago when he was with oakland. I thought that would of been an unbelieveable stat and really didn't believe it.

http://www.nfl.com/players/lamontjordan/profile?id=JOR423594

lex
10-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Is Larsen ready to go? Hillis is the only fullback, if not.

BroncoBuff
10-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Hillis needs to stay off the "Block in the back, number 22, punt team, 5 yard penalty, 1st down" list this week first.

He's probably new to special teams ... personally, I think he just might explode tomorrow.

Br0nc0Buster
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I like Hillis last year, but Im not sure how bright he is

fumbled a kickoff
False start in a goaline situation, that is just unacceptable for a HB
block in the back, and it was incredibly obvious he literally just shoved a guy in the back

Hillis needs to stop making stupid mistakes, I like him as a player, but I understand why he is getting limited playing time, he keeps ****ing up

BroncoBuff
10-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I like Hillis last year, but Im not sure how bright he is - fumbled a kickoff - False start in a goaline situation, that is just unacceptable for a HB block in the back, and it was incredibly obvious he literally just shoved a guy in the back, Hillis needs to stop making stupid mistakes,

Kinda makes you wonder about the goal-line fumble last year that cost us the Raiders game, and the AFC West title, and the playoffs, and Shanahan's job, and ...

Cutler took the blame for that, but I was never sure. The replay looked clean.

azbroncfan
10-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Kinda makes you wonder about the goal-line fumble last year that cost us the Raiders game, and the AFC West title, and the playoffs, and Shanahan's job, and ...

Cutler took the blame for that, but I was never sure. The replay looked clean.

You could what if all day. It one not one person's problem.

strafen
10-10-2009, 10:36 AM
every player needs to earn their time on the field. Brandon Marshall a pro bowl receiver last season had to earn his way back onto the field, with that in mind do you really think McDaniels is just going to give Hillis a job just because he was awesome last year for a 3 game stretch?

the best play, and as much as i hate to say it, Hillis hasn't been playing that well. dropped passes week 1, fumble week 2, stupid penalties weeks 3 and 4. it isn't like McDaniels hasn't given the guy chances. Hillis just has not taken advantage of those opportunities.Opportunities have been a few and far between.
This season has been wierd in a good way. Hard to figure out this team...
That said, I really thought I would see a lot of Hillis involvement on this new system.
He was hardly used in pre-season -at least in the way we were used to- and that trend continued onto the regular season

As you can see, he was not going to be an intricate part of this offense.
I'm not saying he's going to be left out, I'm saying the acquisition of FA RB's kind of shoved him on the side for now.

I'm sure McDaniels values Hillis as a player, no doubt.
With C-buck out for this week, let's see if Peyton can get more touches and a chance to vindicate himself...

UberBroncoMan
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Looks like we get the see dancing Lamont take his two step shuffle before the hole a few times this weekend.

I hope to god Hillis is in over LaMont... granted Hillis is having a rusty year so far, he's still vastly superior.