PDA

View Full Version : Bill Belichick really was a true mentor to Josh McDaniels

Bronco Yoda
10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
It would appear that McDaniels didn't just work with the sith lord but was actually personally mentored by him...unlike other coaches from Patsy land that have gone on to coaching elsewhere.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/10/06/mcdaniels.belichick/index.html

..."I had been talking to Bill for a few years about being a head coach, and after I didn't do any interviews during the bye week in the '07 playoffs he said, 'I will help you in any way I can to get you ready for all the other things that go into the job,'" McDaniels said. "Just being around him every day was going to help me from a football standpoint because I could see what he did and how he did it. But he was saying he would help me with some of the things that you won't really get a chance to witness or understand or become knowledgeable about until you're in that position.

"I remember when we first came back after our break, that very first day, that very first morning, he brought me into his office and he gave me five pages, typed, of all the topics and things that he felt like I needed to be educated about to become an effective head coach. I'm thinking to myself, here he's got 10 or 12 days where he can do whatever in the hell he wants to do -- we've just come off a season where we were 16-0 and lost in the Super Bowl -- and the very first day back he gives me this? That was kind of like my bible."

During the 2008 season, the men met for an hour here, 30 minutes there, until they had addressed every point in the report. From there McDaniels developed 60 to 65 questions of his own that he carried into job interviews with Cleveland and Denver earlier this year. ...

Rock Chalk
10-09-2009, 07:59 PM
So young padawan, the Sith apprentice has infiltrated teh Jedi Academy.

Always two there are, the master and the apprentice.

cutthemdown
10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I like to see him more like Yoda/Luke that way the story ends up with us winning it all.

Besides there is nothing evil about McDaniels, Billy boy, well yeah he is sort of evil.

mhgaffney
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
This from Yoda, no less.

broncogary
10-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Blueflame is not going to like this one bit.

Sassy
10-09-2009, 08:18 PM

LOL! I wanted a defensive head coach but am warming up to McD.

nickademus
10-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I like McD and honestly after the cutler saga and the draft I was more than a little worried about our broncos. But as they say winning fixes everything. what I am most impressed with is his confidence in bringing in Nolan this is a guy who if McD were to faulter could very well be in line for the job. All in all I feel like we were in need of some new blood at dove valley but had you asked me I would have told you shanny was coach for life and that he needed a new D.

Kid A
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
It would appear that McDaniels didn't just work with the sith lord but was actually personally mentored by him...unlike other coaches from Patsy land that have gone on to coaching elsewhere.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/10/06/mcdaniels.belichick/index.html

..."I had been talking to Bill for a few years about being a head coach, and after I didn't do any interviews during the bye week in the '07 playoffs he said, 'I will help you in any way I can to get you ready for all the other things that go into the job,'" McDaniels said. "Just being around him every day was going to help me from a football standpoint because I could see what he did and how he did it. But he was saying he would help me with some of the things that you won't really get a chance to witness or understand or become knowledgeable about until you're in that position.

"I remember when we first came back after our break, that very first day, that very first morning, he brought me into his office and he gave me five pages, typed, of all the topics and things that he felt like I needed to be educated about to become an effective head coach. I'm thinking to myself, here he's got 10 or 12 days where he can do whatever in the hell he wants to do -- we've just come off a season where we were 16-0 and lost in the Super Bowl -- and the very first day back he gives me this? That was kind of like my bible."

During the 2008 season, the men met for an hour here, 30 minutes there, until they had addressed every point in the report. From there McDaniels developed 60 to 65 questions of his own that he carried into job interviews with Cleveland and Denver earlier this year. ...

This quote and similar anecdotes I've heard earlier make me think that Josh's decision to not interview in 07 during that bye won a lot of appreciation/respect from Bellichick, ultimately leading to him getting a lot of insight straight from Bill.

Borks147
10-09-2009, 08:51 PM
This quote and similar anecdotes I've heard earlier make me think that Josh's decision to not interview in 07 during that bye won a lot of appreciation/respect from Bellichick, ultimately leading to him getting a lot of insight straight from Bill.

Yeah me too

I think McD was the only potential coordinator who didn't jump ship as soon as his stock rose a little.

Obviously, who knows what might have happened if they had won the superbowl, but if I were Bellichick, it would definitely make me feel more inclined to mentor someone who stood by the team instead of pursuing his own agenda at the first possible instant.

loborugger
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM

From a guy who carries himself as such an angry badass, this is amusing.

broncogary
10-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Was he even offered any interviews after the 07 season?

Drek
10-09-2009, 09:02 PM

Yep. Bellichick was pretty public about not believing Mangini ready to be a head coach. He hadn't even let Mangini take over defensive play calling at that point. When McDaniels got to the point where he could have left for a job he basically said no, I'll wait until I feel like I'm ready, and we're the beneficiaries of that patient, insightful mindset towards his career.

SouthStndJunkie
10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
The Belicock doesn't like fake tears.

TheReverend
10-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Not always.

Vader's secret apprentice:

http://n2.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/621000/148241_wallpaper_star_wars_the_force_unleashed_03_ 1280_1.jpg

scorpio
10-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Not always.

Very fun and underrated game.

Also, this article was posted a couple days ago.

ShutDownPoster
10-09-2009, 09:27 PM
The hoodie is getting old and wants to pass on that knowledge to a worthy apprentice. I guess anybody would do this - we all want to pass on our knowledge to someone else, it makes us feel more like we did something of meaning in our lives. Hell, even Scrooge warmed up at some point.

TheReverend
10-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Very fun and underrated game.

Also, this article was posted a couple days ago.

I quit playing it for a year I got so pissed at the Imperial Starship force pull part.

Recently beat it.

scorpio
10-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I quit playing it for a year I got so pissed at the Imperial Starship force pull part.

Recently beat it.

Yeah that made me rage for a good week.

TheReverend
10-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah that made me rage for a good week.

Did you get the black lightsaber and sith robe holocrons? Ftw...

Man-Goblin
10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Yep. Bellichick was pretty public about not believing Mangini ready to be a head coach. He hadn't even let Mangini take over defensive play calling at that point. When McDaniels got to the point where he could have left for a job he basically said no, I'll wait until I feel like I'm ready, and we're the beneficiaries of that patient, insightful mindset towards his career.

Belichick must really have a soft spot for McDaniels. People will remember that he went out o his way after Josh's hiring to issue a press release singing his praises and wishing him well. Very unhoodielike, especially when you take into account how he's bid other assistants goodbye.

scorpio
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Did you get the black lightsaber and sith robe holocrons? Ftw...

fawk no, by the time I got done with the Star Destroyer part I just wanted to be finished

TheReverend
10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
fawk no, by the time I got done with the Star Destroyer part I just wanted to be finished

Oh, dude it's totally worth it.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1476/683527-dsc00891_super.jpg

bpc
10-09-2009, 10:11 PM
It's very hard not to like a guy personally scribed from the Bill Parcells/Bill Belicheck clan.

His future is all ahead of him. I hope he can full-fill his promise and make us forget about Jay Cutler/Mike Shanahan. The latter has very big shoes to fill.

scorpio
10-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Oh, dude it's totally worth it.

Yeah I'll probably go back and finish a lot of that stuff. Not too happy with how Palpatine did me after I waxed Vader though.

TheReverend
10-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Yeah I'll probably go back and finish a lot of that stuff. Not too happy with how Palpatine did me after I waxed Vader though.

I took the Jedi route. Need to beat it as Sith now.

DeusExManning
10-09-2009, 10:57 PM
If the dark side of the force wins us a superbowl, I am fine with it.

lex
10-10-2009, 05:17 AM
I like to see him more like Yoda/Luke that way the story ends up with us winning it all.

Besides there is nothing evil about McDaniels, Billy boy, well yeah he is sort of evil.

This is really true. He has turned out to be much less of a cut throat tyrant. In fact he even actually seems affable at times. Then you have Mangini.

Drek
10-10-2009, 05:59 AM

They're re-releasing Force Unleashed with all the online extras and then some this November, FYI.

You can get this Vader-esque getup in it:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/07/app_hoth_06-7242009-580px.jpg

The Joker
10-10-2009, 06:01 AM
This sounds very promising.

BB has that thing about him that nearly all the true coaching greats have. Ruling with an iron fist, being the total authority on the team, yet also being able to make players willing to run through walls for him.

Not easy to do. Mangini seems to try to rule as such, but when he does it the players are filing grievances against him to the NFL. Belichick seems to have really taken a personal interest in seeing McDaniels do well, hopefully he'll have managed to pass along some of the 'secrets' of being a great coach to Josh.

lex
10-10-2009, 06:23 AM
This sounds very promising.

BB has that thing about him that nearly all the true coaching greats have. Ruling with an iron fist, being the total authority on the team, yet also being able to make players willing to run through walls for him.

Not easy to do. Mangini seems to try to rule as such, but when he does it the players are filing grievances against him to the NFL. Belichick seems to have really taken a personal interest in seeing McDaniels do well, hopefully he'll have managed to pass along some of the 'secrets' of being a great coach to Josh.

Quite honestly, I wouldnt say that its for him necessarily as much as its the fact that he picked solid pros. Case in point, look back to the time when he released Lawyer Milloy just before the first game of 2003(?). Its doubtful that the team wanted to run through walls for him at that point. But guys still went out and played hard because they are solid pros. A lot of the glue guys were carryovers from the Parcells era.

long beach bronco
10-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Bob Kraft walks toward a kneeled down Belicheck, Kraft says: "rise my friend, you have done well. I sense your search for young Mcdaniels, Belichek says: Yes my owner, Kraft says: patience my friend, in time (Oct. 11) he will seek you out and then you will bring him before me. Belicheck says: As you wish. Kraft says: He has grown strong, only togehter can we turn him to the dark side of the patriot way. Belicheck says: Yes my owner. Kraft concludes: Everything is going just as I have foreseen. (evil AFC east laugh ensues.)

The Joker
10-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Bringing in the right players is part of it obviously, but the point there is that Milloy was cut and the players still went out and played hard for Belichick.

I'm sure the decision wasn't popular, but at the end of the day the players there knew who was in charge and they just got on with it. Other coaches could have lost the dressing room there.

long beach bronco
10-10-2009, 06:48 AM
When the Patriots trot onto the field this Sunday, they should play the Imperial March.

ayjackson
10-10-2009, 07:36 AM
I'd be okay with a Vader like run at the top.

lex
10-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Bringing in the right players is part of it obviously, but the point there is that Milloy was cut and the players still went out and played hard for Belichick.

I'm sure the decision wasn't popular, but at the end of the day the players there knew who was in charge and they just got on with it. Other coaches could have lost the dressing room there.

Doubtful they were playing for Belichick at that point.

UberBroncoMan
10-10-2009, 07:51 AM
They're re-releasing Force Unleashed with all the online extras and then some this November, FYI.

You can get this Vader-esque getup in it:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/07/app_hoth_06-7242009-580px.jpg

A Lucas owned company re-releasing something :P?

This game could have been good if the game play matched the story, but to me it's just another big bad graphics game (granted again, it had good story and acting) that coulda shoulda falls below Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast... you want an awesome story and kick ass game play? Get that game. Hell it even has an amazing online getup.

The Joker
10-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Doubtful they were playing for Belichick at that point.

They won the Superbowl that year.

MaloCS
10-10-2009, 08:08 AM
slurp, slurp, cough, slurp, gag, slurp, cough... and on and on it goes.

I don't give a rat's ass about the New England Freaking Patriots and their dumb ass coaches and players. It's bad enough I have to watch McDingleBerry on a regular basis but I shouldn't have to be subjected to all of the other Boston schmucks!

baja
10-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Is that you Mock?

lex
10-10-2009, 08:15 AM
They won the Superbowl that year.

And?

The Joker
10-10-2009, 08:18 AM
And?

And the year after that, too.

lex
10-10-2009, 08:22 AM
And the year after that, too.

How was that relevant to what was being discussed?

Just an aside, its also been documented that they were cheating during this time.

Rock Chalk
10-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Not always.

http://n2.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/621000/148241_wallpaper_star_wars_the_force_unleashed_03_ 1280_1.jpg

Only quoting Yoda my good friend.

baja
10-10-2009, 08:36 AM
If Josh McD is Belichick's prodigy than do you think he would have hung him out to dry over the Cassel deal as was wildly popular thinking around here in the off season?

The Joker
10-10-2009, 08:37 AM
How was that relevant to what was being discussed?

Because releasing Milloy probably wasn't a very popular decision in the locker room, yet the players still went out and won back to back Superbowls afterwards.

I'm inclined to believe that the Head Coach was a big part of this, personally.

A great HC has to make tough, unpopular decisions when neccessary, and yet still maintain the faith his players have in him while doing so.

This seems like a pretty textbook case of what I was trying to say, so it seems pretty relevant to me quite frankly.

lex
10-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Because releasing Milloy probably wasn't a very popular decision in the locker room, yet the players still went out and won back to back Superbowls afterwards.

I'm inclined to believe that the Head Coach was a big part of this, personally.

A great HC has to make tough, unpopular decisions when neccessary, and yet still maintain the faith his players have in him while doing so.

This seems like a pretty textbook case of what I was trying to say, so it seems pretty relevant to me quite frankly.

No, guys went out and played hard after the Milloy thing because of their own personal integrity. It should also be pointed out that they were beaten 31-0 immediately after that. They were obviously not running through walls for Belichick that day. And whether or not Belichick is a good coach also doesnt address what we're discussing about players "running through walls" for him. There were a lot of prideful players on those teams and whether or not they played for Belichick as opposed to playing for their own sense of personal pride/integrity are two seperate issues.

Bronco Yoda
10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
It's a big deal when you get the chance to mentor with someone tops in your field. Love the Belicheat or hate him... he is a very successful coach.

The knowledge and wisdom passed on is invaluable in such a situation. I was surprised at the level that BB helped McD. Probably more than any of his other coaches and assistants.

It's one thing to work with someone but to be really menored... you really do learn a lot. I bet this is a strange game for McD. This is going to be a bitter sweet matchup for the coach. It's not easy going up against your mentor for the first time.

Good Luck McD!

BroncoDoug
10-10-2009, 09:52 PM
This was kind of the basis on the thread I started about the post game handshake
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=85265

I know its a silly question, but I am curious to see how they embrace after the game. You can tell BB doesn't like Mangini what so ever, but he seems to really respect McD, and I think it would be cool if they exchanged more then a finger tap that BB usually gives out after games.

Broncomutt
10-11-2009, 01:21 AM

haha, yeah she's been neutralized lately

Bronco Yoda
10-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Now be nice to her. I don't recall her ever attacking anyone like some have (not mentioning any names).