PDA

View Full Version : 49ers OC: Crabtree ran 2 routes in college... hitch and go

The MVPlaya
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
If go an watch his videos on youtube, he's pretty much right. For the most part he ran those 2 routes...there are some different routes but not much...

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/crabtree-working-his-way-back-slowly.html#more

He basically played on one side in college, didn't flip, stayed on the one side and the routes were basically - in their system, he ran a hitch, and if he was pressed, he ran a go. So, it's a little bit more learning that he has to do than time will allow us to teach him, but we've got to make do as we can."

On whether Crabtree essentially ran two routes in college:

"As far as I can tell, but that's just a gloss over because I did not look at him and study him going back because I didn't have the receivers to look at. From what I saw of him on the highlight tape, that's what I saw."

On whether he ran those routes well:

"Yes, and they threw it pretty well, so he was pretty successful with it. As a matter of fact, the route that he caught to beat Texas was that route."

Taco John
10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Randy Moss has built a fine career on that route tree.

Jesterhole
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Agreed. Who cares what you can run. Monk made a career off the hook pattern.

BroncoMan4ever
10-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Crabtree lacks about 5 inches and the speed Moss brings to the table and makes him successful with those 2 routes.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Ain't gonna matter. He'll be a Top 5 receiver in the league by next season. His talent is phenomenal.

_Oro_
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
This is a joke right?

Broncoman13
10-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Crabtree lacks about 5 inches and the speed Moss brings to the table and makes him successful with those 2 routes.

Try two inches, but yes the speed is definitely lacking!

Broncoman13
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Ain't gonna matter. He'll be a Top 5 receiver in the league by next season. His talent is phenomenal.

I would love it if you would take me up on a bet on this! PLEASE put a bet on this!?

skpac1001
10-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I value smarts and route running over speed, but if you don't have the first two you better have the last one, and from the little I know of him I am not sure he has any of those. I think he flops.

Taco John
10-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Some guys are just ball hawks. Crabtree is the only two time Bilitnekoff award winner in the history of college football for a reason. They guy simply could not be accounted for 1 on 1, and in the open field, he's got great vision. Whether that translates to the NFL remains to be seen. I have the same doubts as anyone hearing what the Niners are saying publicly about their player. But I sure wouldn't count him out.

SouthStndJunkie
10-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Some guys are just ball hawks. Crabtree is the only two time Bilitnekoff award winner in the history of college football for a reason. They guy simply could not be accounted for 1 on 1, and in the open field, he's got great vision. Whether that translates to the NFL remains to be seen. I have the same doubts as anyone hearing what the Niners are saying publicly about their player. But I sure wouldn't count him out.

That's just the 49ers trying to push his buttons to see what motivates him and makes him tick.

Taco John
10-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Oddly, he looks like a hybrid Eddie Royal/Brandon Marshall to me:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPz7caPqoJE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPz7caPqoJE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Moss made a living off one route dude, the go route.

Crabtree can make a great living off the hitch alone.

extralife
10-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Moss is the most talented receiver to ever play the game. And even he did some different things in a couple of those Minnesota years.

ZONA
10-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Oh that's a load of **** and you know it. Seriously, WR's almost always take quite a bit of time to develop. And to suggest he is going to be a top 5 player means more then likely you are saying he is going to be better then these fellas, I say you are ****ing crazy.

Larry Fitzgerald
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Brandon Marhsall
Reggie Wayne
Anquan Boldin
Terrell Owens
Chad Johnson

and I doubt he even comes close to the type of impact these guys have....

Calvin Johnson
Plaxico Burress
Marques Colston
Heinz Ward
T.J Houshmandzadeh
Vincent Jackson
Jerricho Cotchery
Donald Driver
Derrick Mason
Bernard Berrian
Eddie Royal

Bottom line, I doubt crabboy breaks into the top 20 WR's next year.

cutthemdown
10-09-2009, 12:35 AM

you kidding? Moss is a master at faking safety's that he is going inside, then going outside. He reads the secondary very well and is almost always on same page as his QB.

Moss is a master of every route an outsider WR needs to run.

ZONA
10-09-2009, 12:46 AM
you kidding? Moss is a master at faking safety's that he is going inside, then going outside. He reads the secondary very well and is almost always on same page as his QB.

Nah, he's not a master of route running. But that's because he never had to be. What he is.....is a master of timing. I've never seen anybody as poised, calm and under control when the balls in the air, yes and that even means better then Larry Fitzgerald (at this particular thing). Randy always seemed to just float on a cloud when that ball was in the air. Almost like it was slow motion for him while everybody else was moving at real time speed. Some guys would jump to soon, some to late, some off balance, etc. Randy, well he would always be right on cue. He was absolutely perfect when that ball was up for grabs. He had the timing, the hands, the height, the poise and focus, you name it. If that ball was up for grabs, he was going to beat you. Period.

BroncoMan4ever
10-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Moss made a living off one route dude, the go route.

Crabtree can make a great living off the hitch alone.

Moss for the most part has also been blessed with complimentary receivers around him to make up for the short comings in the routes he was capable of running. Carter in Minnesotta, and now Welker in NE. i don't count the Oakland years because he sucked there.

in SF who does Crabtree have to rely on to run the routes he seems incapable of doing?

also, Moss got away with being able to run his routes because of his height, and incredible speed. 2 things Crabtree doesn't have.

Taco John
10-09-2009, 01:31 AM

He is now.

BroncoMan4ever
10-09-2009, 01:31 AM

give me a break on college award winners. Dumervil won the Bronco Nagurski award as the best D player in the nation yet slipped to the 4th round. numerous Heisman winners have either slipped to middle rounds or completely out of the draft. College awards are meaningless, they are the equivalent to the pro bowl in the NFL. it's an honor but rarely means anything.

college awards are meaningless. and just because he was featured and excelled in a gimmick offense does not mean Crabtree is ever going to be a great receiver. in fact if you think about it, the odds are much higher that he is labeled a bust within 2 years.

DBroncos4life
10-09-2009, 01:38 AM
give me a break on college award winners. Dumervil won the Bronco Nagurski award as the best D player in the nation yet slipped to the 4th round. numerous Heisman winners have either slipped to middle rounds or completely out of the draft. College awards are meaningless, they are the equivalent to the pro bowl in the NFL. it's an honor but rarely means anything.

college awards are meaningless. and just because he was featured and excelled in a gimmick offense does not mean Crabtree is ever going to be a great receiver. in fact if you think about it, the odds are much higher that he is labeled a bust within 2 years.
So do you feel like Dumervil is living up to his college award? Only a fool would bet against him and no one should bet against Crabtree.

Taco John
10-09-2009, 01:52 AM

I never said that awards mean everything. But I wouldn't say that they're meaningless. People get awards because they're recognized by their peers and alumni of the game. That's all they are: recognition.

Well they're recognizing something. There's no sense in throwing out the baby with the bathwater just because there are stories of an award or awardee not panning out.

...and just because he was featured and excelled in a gimmick offense does not mean Crabtree is ever going to be a great receiver. in fact if you think about it, the odds are much higher that he is labeled a bust within 2 years.

That might be true. I personally wouldn't bet against him. I think that the guy is special with the ball in his hands and an open field. It's like he sees the speed and momentum of everyone on the field and adjusts to it. The guy is flat hard to tackle once he gets going because he's good at finding open space.

Br0nc0Buster
10-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I think this guy is gonna be a bust

Isnt very big
Isnt very fast

But put up insane numbers in a gimmick offense

These defenses he put up these numbers against were also in the Big 12, he would of gotten owned in the SEC where they actually play defense

Beantown Bronco
10-09-2009, 06:19 AM
2 routes?

That's one more than Ashley Lelie ran in college.

cmhargrove
10-09-2009, 06:29 AM

Bwa ha ha....

I think he has "potential," but watch all his highlights. He has phenomenal hands, but average speed. He makes lots of collegiate athletes miss from his extra moves, but NFL linebackers and safeties will take his head off when he slows down.

I'm not saying he can't be successful, I just think it will take a few years for him to emerge (if he does).

I think his "extra moves" in the middle of the field could very well get him on IR this season.