PDA

View Full Version : Coach says Broncos will practice outdoors in any conditions

dragondawg
10-08-2009, 09:00 PM
FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE

ENGLEWOOD – In recent years, when weather turned poor, the Denver Broncos drove about a mile down the street to an indoor facility for practice.

The Broncos won’t need that indoor bubble anymore. Coach Josh McDaniels had his team practice outside Thursday despite wet conditions and cold temperatures, and said no matter how bad the weather gets, his team will be outside for practice.

“If we play in it, I hope we practice it,” McDaniels said. “If it’s wet, damp, raining, snowing, whatever, we’re going to be outside.”

Sunday’s forecast from the Weather Channel calls for rain and snow showers with a high temperature of 47 degrees. McDaniels said he thinks having a warm, dry practice isn’t conducive to being prepared for Sunday’s game.

“We’ve got to get ready to play in it,” McDaniels said. “You can’t tell guys we’re going to practice inside in a bubble all week and then when we go out play in the snow on Sunday make sure you do all the things you’re supposed to do when the weather is bad: stay on your feet, field the ball, throw it in the wet and all that. You’ve got to practice that.”

McDaniels said players need to practice cutting on a wet field, throwing a wet ball, and also need a chance to practice special teams outside in poor conditions. A major reason former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wanted to practice inside is he thought practice would be sloppy in bad weather, but McDaniels isn’t concerned with that.

“I don’t think it’s going to deteriorate practice just because we’re throwing in the rain today,” McDaniels said.

Quarterback Kyle Orton grew up in Iowa, went to college at Purdue in Indiana and played his first few NFL years in Chicago, so he is used to playing in poor conditions.

“I have played in it numerous times,” Orton said. “I don’t mind playing in bad-weather games. We will play in anything that comes.”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/practice-63460-broncos-says.html

RhymesayersDU
10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Posting in soon-to-be epic flaming thread.

Sassy
10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I like it!

Archer81
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Good. And it makes sense. Not every game is 68 and mostly sunny.

:Broncos:

brncs_fan
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Positives: You learn to play in anything so when it come up in a game situation you are ready for it.

Negatives: The first time a superstar on the team blows out his knee from practicing in crap this place will explode

Taco John
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
The only thing that wories me about outdoor practice is the increased potential for injury. It's probably a risk worth taking.

Dutch
10-08-2009, 09:43 PM
do it. Playoff football is won in these kind of conditions...get used to it

Vegas_Bronco
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Love the idea - makes the team closer also.

bpc
10-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Injuries can happen anywhere. I like this.

Los Broncos
10-08-2009, 10:35 PM
It makes us ready for anything and you hope for no injuries, this place would flame McD to hell if there are any.

Kaylore
10-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Practicing in the elements. Man blocking. Sound tackling. Four quarter football. Physically dominating.

Goodbye forever, soft team. :wave::boxing:

strafen
10-08-2009, 10:40 PM
It makes sense to me...

SportinOne
10-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Like it.

And I like McDaniels. **** you.

Broncos4Life
10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Love it! Screw you Shanny! And your bubble too!

wolf754life
10-08-2009, 11:36 PM
toughness matters............especially in professional football.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Injury? Really?

Marshall slipped on a McDonald's bag.

Griese tripped over his dog.

And you guys are worried about injuries in practice?

Gort
10-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Love it! Screw you Shanny! And your bubble too!

this. :thumbsup:

Bronco Yoda
10-09-2009, 12:24 AM
The only thing that wories me about outdoor practice is the increased potential for injury. It's probably a risk worth taking.

Try telling Dallas that...

ZONA
10-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Be a ****ing man and practice outside. Injury this and injury that, **** that. Only pussies practice inside a bubble. I'm glad McD has them working outside. No more country club practices, that was such bull ****. I hated that crap. Real men don't practice inside a bubble, they jack your **** up as you come across the middle in the cold...............hahahahha, I love it. :spit:

cutthemdown
10-09-2009, 04:59 AM
It seems logical. To play well in the slop, you practice in the slop.

The players may go into games that are wet and cold with more confidence because of it. If that's the case we gain an edge regardless of how other team plays in it.

This coach has a lot of good ideas. Sure a player might get injured, but that's true of every practice.

Hell we have a linebacker/FB/ST guy out because he slipped in the locker room before then game. You just never know what can happen.

Peoples Champ
10-09-2009, 08:17 AM
It seems logical. To play well in the slop, you practice in the slop.

The players may go into games that are wet and cold with more confidence because of it. If that's the case we gain an edge regardless of how other team plays in it.

This coach has a lot of good ideas. Sure a player might get injured, but that's true of every practice.

Hell we have a linebacker/FB/ST guy out because he slipped in the locker room before then game. You just never know what can happen.

I agree. I new MccD has been doing a great job. Even myself doubted him before the year.

Mr. Elway
10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I agree this is good. Real men should learn to play tough and that includes cold, rainy and snowy weather.

As for me I've been indoors the entire week.

Meck77
10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Coach McD is going to love the mild Denver winters. Yeah Denver gets cold from time to time but it's generally sunny, not windy, and above freezing most of the winter. Really it's ideal football weather and certainly much nicer than a New England winter. Shanny just treated our team like a bunch of girls recently.

Garcia Bronco
10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
LOL. That dome they USED to practice in is 400 yards from my office.

Garcia Bronco
10-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Coach McD is going to love the mild Denver winters. Yeah Denver gets cold from time to time but it's generally sunny, not windy, and above freezing most of the winter. Really it's ideal football weather and certainly much nicer than a New England winter. Shanny just treated our team like a bunch of girls recently.

He's kidding everyone. It's cold here. Aweful cold. :)

bronco militia
10-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Injury? Really?

LOL

good point

Lev Vyvanse
10-09-2009, 08:59 AM
He's kidding everyone. It's cold here. Aweful cold. :)

And it snows all the time.

HEAV
10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=85290

HEAV
10-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Injury? Really?

You forgot Plummer broke his foot getting up off his couch.

Soft team under Shanny.

Smiling Assassin27
10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I approve.

Sincerely,

Dick Vermeil

Gort
10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
And it snows all the time.

and the state tax rate is 98%.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
TIN FOIL HAT TIME : this is just a way to help out Bill Belichick spy on us so he can win mcdaniels is actually a plant put in here by Belichick to spy on us. pats999999999 den 0