PDA

View Full Version : Bailey: "We got rid of a lot of bad apples and brought in a lot of good ones,"

DenverBrit
10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Interesting comment from Champ.

Denver's switch to a 3-4 scheme is paying off.
Clifton Brown

When Mike Nolan became the Denver Broncos' defensive coordinator, he did not focus on the team's weaknesses. He looked for the best ways to use strengths.

"We talked a lot about whether it was going to be a 4-3, or 3-4, and what would serve our football team best," Nolan said, referring to conversations with first-year coach Josh McDaniels. "We looked at what we had, and at the time we had very few defensive linemen. I think Josh felt that he could also acquire the players necessary to play the 3-4 quicker."

So the Broncos switched to a 3-4 scheme from the 4-3 base defense they used last season. But their quick transformation into a top defense has created a far bigger buzz.

Heading into Sunday's home game against the New England Patriots, the Broncos are 4-0, led by a defense that has allowed a league-low 26 points. Five new players are starting on defense safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill, cornerback Andre Goodman, linebacker Andra Davis and nose tackle Ronald Fields.

Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey is playing at a high level, and he loves the changes.

"We got rid of a lot of bad apples and brought in a lot of good ones," Bailey said. "That was the key to getting this thing really turned around.

"I don't have to say much at all this year. We have guys that want it. We've got coaches that really want it, but when it rubs off on the players I mean that's the key. You talk about the addition of Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Andra Davis, these guys, I really don't understand why their team let them go.

"They're great players and they're great leaders as well. It's rubbing off on a lot of guys. We had guys that had that attitude D.J. Williams, myself and a few others, but we didn't have enough of the young guys believing it."

The Broncos have gained believers each week, and they are not alone in making a dynamic defensive turnaround. Three other teams that struggled defensively in '08 sit atop their division through Week 4 the 49ers, Jets and Saints. All rank among the top 10 in overall defense. In '08, none of those four teams made the playoffs and none ranked among the top 10 defensively.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-08/defenseless-dominant-broncos-jets-49ers-saints-get-tough

Man-Goblin
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Damn, Champ. Way to sugarcoat it.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Translation:

We got rid of a bunch of guys that absolutely sucked balls and brought in guys that know how to play football.

Beantown Bronco
10-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm sure Boss loves that his brother talks about him like that. ROFL!

i4jelway7
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
lets start the list:

Mcree
Manuel
lowery

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
lets start the list:

Mcree
Manuel
lowery

Winborn
Webster

i4jelway7
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
bly?
engleberger

The Joker
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh how I don't miss anything about last years defense.

- The massive cushions on 3rd and short.

- The undersized, weak D-Line.

- The pathetic pass rush.

- The worst starting safeties in NFL history.

And most of all, the wildly celebrating anything that could be construed as a positive contribution.

Oh Jamie Winborn, may the rain fall on you always.

"The Denver Broncos have won the toss and have elected to...

CELEBRATE!!!!!"

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/041x5gG3Hp943/340x.jpg

Pick Six
10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
bly?
engleberger

I don't think I'd put Bly in that category. Bly is playing well for San Francisco. He just didn't have the D-line support in Denver.

SureShot
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Bailey maybe right, but who is going to do the fancy dances after a 7 yard gain? And we haven't nearly seen enough helmets come off this year. Oh well I guess we will just have to get by on execution.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think I'd put Bly in that category. Bly is playing well for San Francisco. He just didn't have the D-line support in Denver.

Slowik put Bly in a position to fail, period.

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I love how this defense celebrates....

WHEN IT GETS OFF THE FCUKING FIELD ON 3rd DOWN!

i4jelway7
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM

amen brother

now who do you all think were the locker room cancers?

rovolution
10-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Manuel starts for Detroit...and therefore it is no surprise that the lions are ranked 32nd in pass defense

HEAV
10-08-2009, 02:49 PM
"I don't have to say much at all this year. We have guys that want it. We've got coaches that really want it, but when it rubs off on the players I mean that's the key. You talk about the addition of Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Andra Davis, these guys, I really don't understand why their team let them go.

WolfpackGuy
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Slowick must've counted for a whole bushel basket himself.

Tankgunner95
10-08-2009, 02:53 PM
BLY? BLY? REALLY Bly could not tackle to save his life, the reason he is doing so well in San Fran, is because he was fighting for a position there, he knew if he did not turn it up he was gonna be out of the league. Im glad he is gone!!!!

DBroncos4life
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Manuel starts for Detroit...and therefore it is no surprise that the lions are ranked 32nd in pass defense

I have watched two Lions games this year, and he has played much better for them then he did for us.

i4jelway7
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM
BLY? BLY? REALLY Bly could not tackle to save his life, the reason he is doing so well in San Fran, is because he was fighting for a position there, he knew if he did not turn it up he was gonna be out of the league. Im glad he is gone!!!!

yeah isn't he 3rd string in SF

Natedog24
10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm glad he is gone because I like Goodman better, but Bly isn't a bad corner.

i4jelway7
10-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I have watched two Lions games this year, and he has played much better for them then he did for us.

so he actually made a tackle this year? thats not saying much. :giggle:

DBroncos4life
10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
so he actually made a tackle this year? thats not saying much. :giggle:

He's got like 19 of them. LOL

OBF1
10-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I would like to hear Champs comments on last years entire coaching staff in a few years, Could be very interesting.

Chris
10-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Where is Kenoy Kennedy these days?

rovolution
10-08-2009, 03:17 PM

retired i believe

Rohirrim
10-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Right now in some cabana down in Baja, Shanahan is looking over at Slowik and saying, "How the **** did I end up with your dumb ass? If not for you, I'd still have my job. Bring me another pina colada."

Rock Chalk
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Whoa, Kenoy was a good safety for us. He would have been an upgrade to that trash we had last year.

Rother8
10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Interesting comment from Champ.

Denver's switch to a 3-4 scheme is paying off.
Clifton Brown

When Mike Nolan became the Denver Broncos' defensive coordinator, he did not focus on the team's weaknesses. He looked for the best ways to use strengths.

"We talked a lot about whether it was going to be a 4-3, or 3-4, and what would serve our football team best," Nolan said, referring to conversations with first-year coach Josh McDaniels. "We looked at what we had, and at the time we had very few defensive linemen. I think Josh felt that he could also acquire the players necessary to play the 3-4 quicker."

So the Broncos switched to a 3-4 scheme from the 4-3 base defense they used last season. But their quick transformation into a top defense has created a far bigger buzz.

Heading into Sunday's home game against the New England Patriots, the Broncos are 4-0, led by a defense that has allowed a league-low 26 points. Five new players are starting on defense safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill, cornerback Andre Goodman, linebacker Andra Davis and nose tackle Ronald Fields.

Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey is playing at a high level, and he loves the changes.

"We got rid of a lot of bad apples and brought in a lot of good ones," Bailey said. "That was the key to getting this thing really turned around.

"They're great players and they're great leaders as well. It's rubbing off on a lot of guys. We had guys that had that attitude D.J. Williams, myself and a few others, but we didn't have enough of the young guys believing it."

The Broncos have gained believers each week, and they are not alone in making a dynamic defensive turnaround. Three other teams that struggled defensively in '08 sit atop their division through Week 4 the 49ers, Jets and Saints. All rank among the top 10 in overall defense. In '08, none of those four teams made the playoffs and none ranked among the top 10 defensively.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-08/defenseless-dominant-broncos-jets-49ers-saints-get-tough

Maybe Champ wasn't just talking D here....maybe a jab at Cutler w/ the bad apples thing?

errand
10-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm sure Boss loves that his brother talks about him like that. ROFL!

Boss is nowhere near the player Champ is. You can blame injuries for some of his problems, but the bottom line is he was never that good to begin with. He's Jordan Palmer, while Champ is Carson Palmer. He's Kellen Winslow, Jr. while Champ is Kellen Winslow, Sr.

Hell, he's Winger to Champ's Metallica

lostknight
10-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe Champ wasn't just talking D here....maybe a jab at Cutler w/ the bad apples thing?

No, but thanks for trying to turn this into a cutler flame fest again.

easymobee
10-08-2009, 04:27 PM

He only lives on in GIFs.

azbroncfan
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Engelberger was a huge gain by cutting him. Shipping Slowik out was big along with all the garbage S's last year too.

AboveAverage
10-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. How many players from last year's defense can't even find a job in the NFL?

I know Engelberger, Nate Webster aren't in the NFL. Who am I forgetting?

mr007
10-08-2009, 04:47 PM

:unamused:

rovolution
10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. How many players from last year's defense can't even find a job in the NFL?

McCree was cut by the Jags in TC. Boss retired from the league

rbackfactory80
10-08-2009, 04:59 PM
No question he was talking about Cutler.

Hogan11
10-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Injury retirement.

Bronx33
10-08-2009, 05:06 PM
the foxworth departure becomes all to clear now...

oldustyballs
10-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Boss is nowhere near the player Champ is. You can blame injuries for some of his problems, but the bottom line is he was never that good to begin with. He's Jordan Palmer, while Champ is Carson Palmer. He's Kellen Winslow, Jr. while Champ is Kellen Winslow, Sr.

Hell, he's Winger to Champ's Metallica

How about he's Winger to Champ's Shadows Fall or
he's Winger to Champ's Machine Head.

Cause last time I checked Champ has never been nor will ever be a sell-out like those chumps metallica.

lazarus4444
10-08-2009, 05:27 PM

I think it'd be easier to name who is still in the league rather than the ones who aren't, which is most of them!

tsiguy96
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
the way champ talked about cutler on sirius radio its 50/50, but im sure he was talking about the skill level of the people they had vs the people we have now. mario haggan has been a hell of a surprise thats for sure.

Los Broncos
10-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Word, 3rd down stops are huge!

KipCorrington25
10-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm just glad we **** canned Nate Webster, I don't think I've ever hated a Bronco more.

maher_tyler
10-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm just glad we **** canned Nate Webster, I don't think I've ever hated a Bronco more.

Yea...him and Winborn. That pic earlier in the thread gave me a reminder of the joke of the defense we fielded last year!

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-09-2009, 01:41 AM
but but Jamie Winborn is special he soo special special Olympic special he should of got a ribbon for his specialness. you people should be shamed of how you treat handicapped nfl players and senile nfl owners who live in oakland

BroncoDoug
10-09-2009, 02:12 AM
but but Jamie Winborn is special he soo special special Olympic special he should of got a ribbon for his specialness. you people should be shamed of how you treat handicapped nfl players and senile nfl owners who live in oakland

speaking of special...

...here comes dan

oubronco
10-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Taco Bell

Mr. Elway
10-09-2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=24643&d=1250205815